PDA

View Full Version : Why Do People Think Colt McCoy Is An NFL QB?

JaxJag_1
01-07-2010, 10:10 PM
He's got a slight frame
Shorter than his listed 6'3" height
He'll be a 24 year old rookie
No experience in a pro style offense or making reads
Weak arm

I just don't see him as anything more than a late round pick and is just a rich man's Graham Harrell really.

I know most people think he's not an NFL QB, but there are a segment of people that do

Shane P. Hallam
01-07-2010, 10:13 PM
He has one of the quickest releases in the draft.

He is athletic and mobile.

His accuracy is superb on almost every ball he throws.

Amazing intangibles and great character

His decision making ability is top notch.

Not saying this makes him an NFL QB, but this is why a team will draft him early.

JaxJag_1
01-07-2010, 10:17 PM
Understood but at the same time I know if I'm an NFL GM I can't have a QB regardless of his character, leadership, IQ, release, and what have you if he's small and can't make all the throws.

brat316
01-07-2010, 10:20 PM
Understood but at the same time I know if I'm an NFL GM I can't have a QB regardless of his character, leadership, IQ, release, and what have you if he's small and can't make all the throws.

gotta take a chance and its a second round pick.

What about Drew Brees?

JaxJag_1
01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
gotta take a chance and its a second round pick.

What about Drew Brees?

Just because there was one doesn't mean that there has to be a next one. Drew Brees also has a far stronger arm than Colt has.

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Probably 90% of people who are quote unquote "too small" have failed. But the other 10% have gone on to play quite well in the league and others ala Drew Brees, Emmitt Smith have become some of the best in the league.

Colt McCoy kinda reminds me of a Troy Aikman. An accurate leader who wins football games. With that being said, he'll need an all-star cast around him to be successful.

Whether or not he's worth the second round pick probably depends on what franchise drafts him.

foozball
01-07-2010, 10:29 PM
I wouldn't say he has a slight frame. He's actually pretty built.

JaxJag_1
01-07-2010, 10:33 PM
I wouldn't say he has a slight frame. He's actually pretty built.

He's pretty small

Philliez01
01-07-2010, 10:42 PM
I'm not a fan of Colt McCoy as a prospect. I think he's a good football player and definitely worthy of being in the NFL. He has some tools that are NFL-caliber and some that look pedestrian or worse. I don't like the offense he was in nor his arm strength.

However, he can bulk up. It's been done. Height wise? It's an issue, but it's not a huge problem. Sanchez was a top QB prospect (regardless of if he was worthy) at 6'2 and Tony Romo has made it work at that height. Brees has been mentioned. While not stellar, Bruce Gradkowski and Tyler Thigpen (I know, I'm scraping the barrel here) have at least had microcosms of success.

I don't like McCoy, like I mentioned, as a prospect but it's not impossible for him to have success.

JaxJag_1
01-07-2010, 10:45 PM
I just don't know if I'm out on an island here thinking he's no more than a Rd. 5 prospect.

I just can't understand the talk of him being a 2nd round pick.

Bradford, Clausen, Snead, LeFevour, Pike, Levi Brown, Skelton, and Mallett (if he were to declare) are all undoubtably better prospects IMO

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Please, please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Snead off that list. He can't even handle the college defense... I can't imagine how bad he'll do at the next level.

PossibleCabbage
01-07-2010, 11:05 PM
I just don't know if I'm out on an island here thinking he's no more than a Rd. 5 prospect.

Is he one of the 64 best players in the draft in terms of pro prospects? I sincerely doubt it, but due to the fact that people always overvalue quarterbacks (because, unlike other positions, it is nearly impossible to succeed with mediocre production at the position) and teams often have inscrutable criteria for drafting them, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him go in the second.

It only takes one team to draft him after all. 31 teams might have him as the #6 QB on the board, but if one team has him as the #3 QB they might think getting him in the middle of the second is a steal.

Please, please, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE take Snead off that list. He can't even handle the college defense... I can't imagine how bad he'll do at the next level.

Snead needs a good NFL position coach, some time on the bench, and a offensive line that excels at pass blocking but I do like him a lot as a developmental prospect. If you draft him expecting him to start in his rookie year, you're insane, but if you draft anybody except Clausen or maybe Bradford expecting him to start his rookie year, you're insane. This is not a good crop of "immediate contributors" at the QB position. But there are a bunch of guys who, if they end up in the right situation, and are allowed to sit and learn for 2-3 years, could be great NFL players.

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2010, 11:08 PM
Colt McCoy = (a young) Jeff Garcia.

He should eventually develop into a starter IMO, gone before the end of the 2nd round.

If he had played tonight, man it would have been one helluva NC game!!!

Notice that besides McCoy, Shipley and that speedy little WR, ( forgot his name), Texas has marginal talent at the skill positions.

Their RB situation is pathetic for such a high profile program.

Byrd430
01-07-2010, 11:19 PM
If Colt would've played tonight, I think Texas would've won this game. Just my thoughts.

To Possiblecabbage: I don't think Clausen or Bradford are ready to immediately contribute at the next level. I don't think there's one single QB that can be ready to start day one. Still, I don't care how long Snead sits, I just don't think he's a NFL player. I always like to give prospects benefits of doubts, and I usually tend not to be so harsh, but Snead is a different case. If not for McCluster, Ole Miss may not have won 4 games this season, and Snead is the reason.

PossibleCabbage
01-07-2010, 11:27 PM
To Possiblecabbage: I don't think Clausen or Bradford are ready to immediately contribute at the next level. I don't think there's one single QB that can be ready to start day one.

Well, the key difference is that if you draft a guy like Snead and expect him to play in his rookie year (barring a rash of QB injuries and/or garbage time situations) you're insane. If you draft Clausen and expect him to play in his rookie year, you're just delusional. College QBs who are ready to contribute on day one to an NFL team are as rare as hen's teeth, I definitely agree with you there.

Philliez01
01-07-2010, 11:39 PM
Well, the key difference is that if you draft a guy like Snead and expect him to play in his rookie year (barring a rash of QB injuries and/or garbage time situations) you're insane. If you draft Clausen and expect him to play in his rookie year, you're just delusional. College QBs who are ready to contribute on day one to an NFL team are as rare as hen's teeth, I definitely agree with you there.

Not to try to make a bad episode of Seinfeld out of a post, but wouldn't you rather be insane than delusional? Just sayin'.

PossibleCabbage
01-07-2010, 11:41 PM
Not to try to make a bad episode of Seinfeld out of a post, but wouldn't you rather be insane than delusional? Just sayin'.

One is much more easily cured of delusions than of insanity.

Philliez01
01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
One is much more easily cured of delusions than of insanity.

Well in law terms, Insane Delusion is basically a false reality.....I guess you can have an episode of delusion which may or may not lead to insanity. Carry on.

TACKLE
01-07-2010, 11:47 PM
He has one of the quickest releases in the draft.

He is athletic and mobile.

His accuracy is superb on almost every ball he throws.

Amazing intangibles and great character

Great decision making.

Gets rid of the ball quickly.

I don't think there should be too much confusion as to why people think he can be an NFL QB.

RedVision
01-07-2010, 11:48 PM
Bruce Gradkowski was doing some good things before he was hurt. People need to stop underestimating leadership, accuracy and heart. Kudos to the garcia comparison. Its more about having a system that fits his abilities.
If im a redskins fan I hope shanahan gets this guy.

vikes_28
01-07-2010, 11:48 PM
He's got a slight frame
Weak arm

I just don't see him as anything more than a late round pick and is just a rich man's Graham Harrell really.

I know most people think he's not an NFL QB, but there are a segment of people that do

*cough* Drew Brees says hi.

He'll be good once he's taught what to do in a system. He excelled so fast in Texas' system. I see that he is a fast learner, and I think that can be a starter within 1 year.

FUNBUNCHER
01-07-2010, 11:50 PM
FWIW, delusions are frequently symptoms of schizophrenia, i.e. insanity.

Snead is just potential and wishful thinking with a nice set of physical tools. But how many QB prospects were borderline garbage in college who went one to dominate in the NFL???

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-07-2010, 11:53 PM
McCoy is Jeff Gercia 2.0

Iamcanadian
01-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Depending on his injury and how serious it is, I think he goes round 1 somewhere around the 15 - 20th pick if he has a good post season. People are way over analyzing this guy. The system he plays in hardly disqualifies him from round 1, he would only be minimally downgraded for the system he plays in. His quick release and accuracy are far more substantial elements to his game than the system he comes from. Add in his mobility, ability to read defenses and his intangibles and you have a solid prospect who is simply being under appreciated.
Some nobody says he wouldn't touch him and the rest of you play follow the lemmings over the cliff.

JaxJag_1
01-08-2010, 12:21 AM
I've made the Garcia comparison in the past, but I think that is his ceiling

RedVision
01-08-2010, 12:28 AM
multiple times pro bowl player is a nice ceiling.

Smokey Joe
01-08-2010, 12:30 AM
He'd be a good fit for any team that runs the WCO. He's mobile, has a quick release, can throw on the run, is very accurate, and is a smart football player. Pretty much everything you look for in a west coast QB.

I think either Minny should draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop for at least a year behind Favre. Or, if past the 3rd round, he'd be a good option for Dallas to draft and develop as a backup for Romo.

dpl85
01-08-2010, 12:34 AM
Garcia has a much more slender frame and I'm pretty sure Colt has a stronger arm but other than that it is not a bad comparison.

Cicero
01-08-2010, 12:46 AM
He doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws, period. He's short, gets happy feet all the time in the pocket, has never operated an offense from under center, and has to make very few reads due to the scheme. I'm also going to once again suggest people read Scott's article about second and third round QBs.

SenorGato
01-08-2010, 01:16 AM
He doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws, period. He's short, gets happy feet all the time in the pocket, has never operated an offense from under center, and has to make very few reads due to the scheme. I'm also going to once again suggest people read Scott's article about second and third round QBs.

+1

Guys not even close to what he's been hyped as for much of the year...it's no offense to him...people tend to do that.

CC.SD
01-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I would definitely rather be delusional than insane, delusional can be as simple as being misguided.

Cicero
01-08-2010, 01:24 AM
+1

Guys not even close to what he's been hyped as for much of the year...it's no offense to him...people tend to do that.

You know who he reminds me the most of? Graham Harrell. He's more mobile obviously but that's the best comparison I think there is for him as a passer.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 01:34 AM
I used to think Colt was a decent player... but the guy has ZERO heart. I don't see a strong leader. I see a QUITTER. I wouldn't draft him until the 5 or 6th.

Saints-Tigers
01-08-2010, 01:55 AM
Drew Brees says high, but his strong arm and amazing deep ball say goodbye just as fast.

Saints-Tigers
01-08-2010, 01:57 AM
I used to think Colt was a decent player... but the guy has ZERO heart. I don't see a strong leader. I see a QUITTER. I wouldn't draft him until the 5 or 6th.

I dunno if this is sarcasm or not, but his injury didn't seem so severe, and his parents basically made him sit for his NFL future. If you can keep your pads on, and run around clapping and high fiving guys, I have a hard time believing you can't try to help your team in the biggest game of your life....

JaxJag_1
01-08-2010, 02:31 AM
People need to realize that Drew Brees is the exception, not the rule

RGVBadBoy
01-08-2010, 04:12 AM
Colt broke my heart lastnight, he quit on his team and that's a fact!!! I have been a fan of his since he was in HS and believe he CAN be successful in the NFL, I think he's a better version of Jeff Garcia, that is a very accurate comparison.

Up until lastnight I really wanted to see Colt with a star on his helmet next season until he quit. Colt quit on his team lastnight, funny how they couldn't even name an injury and said "all x rays were negative" in other words, HE'S FINE!!!! But he and his old man CHOSE to sit out the NATIONAL TITLE GAME to save him for the Pros!?!?!? How effing selfish is that!?!? He's not a team player and he cost the Longhorns a Natl Title.... Disgusted by Colt, WOW!!!

PickedOffTwice
01-08-2010, 04:35 AM
I've made the Garcia comparison in the past, but I think that is his ceiling

I would take Jeff Garcia as my franchise QB any day of the week. If that is his ceiling, one can only hope that he reaches it.

JoeFerg
01-08-2010, 05:58 AM
You know who he reminds me the most of? Graham Harrell. He's more mobile obviously but that's the best comparison I think there is for him as a passer.

That's a good point. If McCoy had played at Texas Tech or Hawaii or Missouri people would have been talking differently about him. But playing at Texas inflated his stock. I think Colt will be a good backup QB in the NFL and an average starter when he gets the chance. And after he retires he'll become a good coach.

eagles6606
01-08-2010, 06:54 AM
If anyone saw his post game interview, then you would know that he did everything he could to play. He was on the verge of crying and clearly
wanted to be out there. He said he couldn't feel his shoulder at all, which makes it very hard to throw. I believe if Colt could have played, he would have.

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2010, 07:40 AM

Yup, being 6'2 is just too short to play QB in the NFL. Peyton Manning always chops his feet in the pocket, but of course that's different.

When you have a quick release and the ability to anticipate routes opening up, you don't need a gun for an arm.

Transitioning to playing under center a majority of snaps isn't like learning to hit a curve ball. Any QB worth his salt can do it.

If McCoy lasts past the 2nd round, it would be senseless by every team in the NFL.

DeathbyStat
01-08-2010, 08:51 AM
I don't like him as a prospect but I think he can work in the system like Denver where the QB is asked to throw alot of short pass many behind the line

descendency
01-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I don't think there should be too much confusion as to why people think he can be an NFL QB.

Yeah, I mean Kyle Orton is a starter... :rolleyes:

My questions is where does he go? What team isn't going to care about arm strength enough to take a chance on an undersized, low arm strength, quick release kind of guy? Domes and Southern cities without much wind already have QBs...

I would take Jeff Garcia as my franchise QB any day of the week. If that is his ceiling, one can only hope that he reaches it.

A journeyman starter with exceptional toughness? (and an effeminate voice... :$). Personally, I think his ceiling is Tony Romo minus the ability to make the key NFL throws.

P-L
01-08-2010, 09:10 AM
Well you would be in the minority. If Jeff Garcia was a franchise quarterback, he wouldn't have been cut from San Francisco, Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. He's now a third string quarterback in Philadelphia. Garcia is a good backup and can be an above average stop-gap starter, but he isn't a long-term solution for any team as a starting quarterback.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Well you would be in the minority. If Jeff Garcia was a franchise quarterback, he wouldn't have been cut from San Francisco, Cleveland, Detroit, Tampa Bay, and Oakland. He's now a third string quarterback in Philadelphia. Garcia is a good backup and can be an above average stop-gap starter, but he isn't a long-term solution for any team as a starting quarterback.

He got cut from Philly too. Now a fa.

Crickett
01-08-2010, 09:28 AM

If he wasn't a franchise quarterback, I don't think he'd be a four time pro bowler despite spending the first third of his career in the CFL.

And yes, he is a decent backup and can be a stop gap starter. Or at least that is what it seemed like prior to 2009, I don't really know if that's still true.

But you have to remember something.

He'll be 40 next month.

Halsey
01-08-2010, 09:40 AM
He's got a slight frame
Weak arm

Sounds like Drew Brees coming out of college. Not saying that McCoy will be the next Brees, but his questions seem similar to Brees. I'm not sure about Brees' or McCoy's arm strength. People just seem to throw around the 'weak arm' label to any QB who doesn't have a John Elway like arm these days.

MetSox17
01-08-2010, 10:14 AM

Yeah, his wins against Oklahoma the past two years, against aTm, all his comeback wins, his three straight bowl wins including a comeback win in a last minute drive against Ohio State for a BCS bowl win all spell quitter :rolleyes:

Next topic.

Colt doesn't have Peyton Manning's arm. Not even close. But he is ridiculously accurate in the intermediate to semi-long throws. Also, didn't a guy named Chad Pennington succeed in the league year after year with an absolute noodle for an arm? Or, Matt Hasselbeck? Marc Bulger? Jake Delhomme? (for a while, yes, he was successful).

I don't get all this infatuation with strong, laser rocket arms. You all constantly joke about Al Davis, yet you're acting the same way. You see a proven winner, with great intangibles, good athleticism, incredible accuracy with decent arm strength, and you pass him up for the Jamarcus Russell's of the world. Or the Kyle Bollers, Derek Andersons and Jeff Georges. Arm strength is about as over valued as the damn 40 times.

Jughead10
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM
I just don't like anyone coming out of an offense like that. It makes everything easier on the QB. Not only will he basically have to learn to become a real QB in a real offense, which many other QBs will have a head start on, that offense in general makes you more accurate. The guy hasn't made anything close to an NFL read in his entire college career. It just leaves way too much in the air to risk a high pick on him. If he ever becomes a starting QB in the NFL, he'll have to do it the hard way. Mid round pick who rides the bench for quite some time.

Also I agree with D-Unit in a sense. This injury he got better be really significant to have come out of the national championship when even he admitted he was in no pain.

PickedOffTwice
01-08-2010, 10:24 AM

The guy has been dealt some rough hands in his career. For starters: Frisco didn't resign him despite being a 3 time Pro Bowler with a career passer rating above 90 at that time.

Then he came to Cleveland, where he was about the only player that put his damned heart into winning every week. With the supporting cast though, there was not much of a chance to succeed.

Since then he has always been signed as a stop gap starter or mentor backup. Because of his age I guess. Nobody will sign a 33 year old dude as a franchise QB.

Whereever and whenever the guy played, he did nothing but win and put up at least solid numbers.

I stand by it: By just judging his game, I would sign this guy as my franchise QB. Given that, at that time, he is in his mid-20's.

If Colt Brennan (EDIT: Colt McCoy, of course lol) will become as good as Jeff Garcia he should have a bright NFL career in front of him.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 10:27 AM

A quitter? He tried to come back into the NC, Brown, his Dad and the medical staff didn't want him to. He tried, he couldn't be effective.

vikes_28
01-08-2010, 10:35 AM
Also I agree with D-Unit in a sense. This injury he got better be really significant to have come out of the national championship when even he admitted he was in no pain.

He said he can't feel his arm. That's never a good sign if you can't feel parts of your body. And I don't see how you could say that he is a quitter. He just about cried in the interview lastnight when they asked him about how it felt watching. I see his decision not to play coming from his father and not him. He probably wanted to play, I see any QB that is in a game like that, begging his trainer to let him play. Same situation happened to me when I was in high school. Except I played OLine.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 10:41 AM
He said he can't feel his arm. That's never a good sign if you can't feel parts of your body. And I don't see how you could say that he is a quitter. He just about cried in the interview lastnight when they asked him about how it felt watching. I see his decision not to play coming from his father and not him. He probably wanted to play, I see any QB that is in a game like that, begging his trainer to let him play. Same situation happened to me when I was in high school. Except I played OLine.
BS excuses... He had plenty of movement... clapping his hands, patting his teammates on the head... and oh... it's easy to cry when your team loses a game like this. ZERO Heart. Quitter in every sense of the word.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 10:48 AM
It had nothing to do with movement, it had to do with feeling. He could throw it hard, just didn't know where it was going.

Iamcanadian
01-08-2010, 10:50 AM
BS excuses... He had plenty of movement... clapping his hands, patting his teammates on the head... and oh... it's easy to cry when your team loses a game like this. ZERO Heart. Quitter in every sense of the word.

Total garbage with nothing to back it up. Just a totally ridiculous statement.

Jughead10
01-08-2010, 10:51 AM

To me the almost crying seem manufactured. I've had nothing against McCoy his entire career, but everything about him last night seemed fake to me.

prock
01-08-2010, 10:51 AM
colt mccoy isnt not a quitter. that is the worst insult you could throw at an athlete. he said he couldnt feel his arm. how are you gonna play when you cant feel your throwing arm? the medical staff said he couldnt play. he didnt lift his right arm once while he was on the sidelines. get the **** off his back.

vikes_28
01-08-2010, 10:57 AM
On yahoo

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-texasqbs010810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

PASADENA, Calif. – Colt McCoy lined up about 7 yards from his dad, Brad. This was inside the Texas locker room underneath the Rose Bowl bleachers, the Longhorns quarterback missing the biggest game of his career, about to attempt the most important throw of his life.

Colt had the ball and was going to pass it to his dad as a slew of doctors and trainers watched closely. How many times had these two thrown a football back and forth, from their yard in little Tuscola, Texas, to the practice fields of Jim Ned High School, where the dad was the coach and the son was the star?

“Millions,” Colt said. “Millions of times.”

Colt had just lied to the Texas doctors and said that he was capable of returning to the BCS title game against Alabama. A hit by the Tide’s Marcell Dareus, on the fifth play of the game, had sent him to this locker room. He wanted back out there. So he tried to sound convincing despite the fact his arm felt “like a noodle.”

He hadn’t come this far to sit. Colt McCoy was going to lead Texas to the championship. He believed this. He’d always believed this. When he went down, he said, “We were about to dominate.” They weren’t going to lose, not where the Longhorns had last won a championship in 2005, not against a team against whom they’d never lost, certainly not 37-21, as the scoreboard would show after 60 minutes.

Yet on the TV in the corner, he had seen it all fade away in his absence. Alabama was rolling; Texas’ early lead was long gone.

So Colt gripped the ball, stared at his dad and thought, “It’s just a simple throw.” He threw. The ball went soft and wide. Everyone grimaced. “Give it to me again,” Colt demanded. Brad got the ball and gave it back to his son. The next throw was the same, bouncing harmlessly away. “Give it to me again,” Colt said, again. Brad did.

It was the same. It was over. Colt couldn’t throw it 7 yards to his own father. “My arm was dead,” he said. The dad hugged his son. The son broke down and cried.

“There’s no pain on my body,” Colt said later. “If I was a free safety, I’d go out there and make a tackle. I [just] have no strength to throw a football.”

Garrett Gilbert had arrived at the Rose Bowl hoping to play, but not until the fourth quarter, maybe some mop-up duty as the Longhorns cruised to the title. He was a true freshman, an Austin kid and just being here was enough. This was McCoy’s team. Everyone knew that. He’d started every week for four years, won more games than anyone in the sport’s history.

Colt was the guy who never got hurt. Then he got hurt.

So in went Gilbert and while this wasn’t how he wanted it to happen, he jogged out into the middle of a raucous Rose Bowl, his team leading 3-0, and thought, “This is my chance. This is my time.”

He was awful. He was hesitant. His passes weren’t close. His coaches had so little confidence in him they kept running the simplest of running plays. Alabama took the lead and then extended it.

Now the clock was running down on this terrible half of Texas football and Garrett Gilbert was 1-for-9 on the game with an interception.

On what might have been the last play of the half, the call came in for a shovel pass. Gilbert tried it, the ball got tipped and suddenly that same Alabama player that had knocked McCoy out of the game, Marcell Dareus, caught the ball and was chugging toward the end zone.

Dareus goes about 307. Gilbert about 207. The quarterback didn’t care; he was not going to let this lineman pick-six him. Gilbert went for a bear hug. Dareus threw out a stiff arm for the ages and tossed Gilbert to the ground. From there, the freshman quarterback, sprawled out on the grass had to watch the big lineman dance in for another Alabama score. The Tide led 24-6.

“Terrible,” Gilbert said. “I felt terrible.”

There were the two quarterbacks in the halftime locker room and they could’ve had a debate over who was having a worse night. Was it the guy who couldn’t complete a 7-yard pass to his dad? Or the one whose only completion of the game at that point had resulted in a 4-yard loss?

There was no commiserating. McCoy was in Gilbert’s face; not shouting, just teaching. This is what Vince Young had done for McCoy and Chris Simms had done for Vince Young and so on and so on.

“This season I taught him everything I know,” McCoy said.

He needed Gilbert to remember a most important lesson – how to forget. The first half was done and gone. Nothing was going to change it.

“‘You’ve got to forget about everything, ‘” McCoy told him. “‘You’ve got nothing to gain. You’ve got nothing to lose. You’ve got nothing to prove. Just go out there and practice.’”

Gilbert nodded. What the heck, right? It couldn’t get any worse. At this point, pretty much every single person in the stands and every single person watching at home and probably every single person in the Texas locker room thought that the game was over because if Garrett Gilbert was not capable of completing a screen pass, he wasn’t going to lead a historic comeback.

Then Gilbert went out in the third quarter and he completed a pass. It was for just 3 yards but they were positive yards. It felt like a weight went off his shoulder. A few plays later he hit Marquis Goodwin on a short pass that the speedy wideout turned into a 39-yard gain.

“I started to see the field better,” Gilbert said. “I started to complete some passes.”

On the sideline, wearing a headset, Colt McCoy kept screaming encouragement. He kept telling his replacement he could do this.

Near the end of the quarter Gilbert threw a slant for a 44-yard touchdown and jumped around in joy. In the fourth quarter he did it again, throwing a beautiful-28 yard TD. Then he whipped one into Dan Buckner’s arms for the 2-point conversion.

Alabama 24, Texas 21.

The game that was seemingly lost was now a three-point contest. The Texas defense held again. Alabama punted and with 3:14 remaining, Garrett Gilbert walked out on the field, the same field he played so poorly on, huddled up his teammates, the same ones who couldn’t be faulted in doubting his ability, and told them they were about to drive down the field to either tie or win the BCS title game.

“We’re going to take it down there,” Gilbert said.

They believed him.

From the sideline McCoy saw the blitz coming from Gilbert’s blind side. Gilbert said he felt it too. Alabama linebacker Eryk Anders was coming fast, faster than Gilbert realized. Anders crushed Gilbert, springing the ball loose. For a split second, before he got buried into the turf, Gilbert saw the comeback, the game, the championship bounce away.

He prayed one of his guys would get it. They didn’t. Alabama did on Texas’ 3-yard line. A few plays later the Tide scored. Later they scored again. The game ended with Alabama taking a knee and Nick Saban getting a Gatorade bath and a crimson-and-white confetti shower.

McCoy got run down by ABC’s Lisa Salters, who wanted to talk to him on live television. As they stood and waited for the producer to throw it to them, McCoy’s eyes glazed over, the nightmare on top of the nightmare sinking in. When she finally asked him a question, he barely could muster an answer.

By then Gilbert was walking toward the UT locker room, his heartbroken teammates running up and patting him on the back, trying to tell him to pick his head up. This wasn’t on him, they said. Be proud of what you did, they whispered.

He’d thrown four interceptions though. There was that disastrous fumble. And the first half where he’d done nothing, where the hole had been dug.

It all kept running through his mind, he said, and suddenly the emotional roller coaster, the wildest four hours of Garrett Gilbert’s life hit him all at once.

He started to cry.

Colt McCoy was standing in front of his locker for the last time as a Texas Longhorn. He didn’t want it to end. Certainly not like this, his right arm hanging limp, another team celebrating across the way.

“I’ve given everything I had to Texas,” he said. “I’ve given everything I had to college football. I did everything I could. I worked my whole career to be put on this stage. Never in my wildest dreams did I think it would be taken away like that.”

Down the row of lockers Gilbert was crushed, spent and exhausted. He even looked a little confused. “It hasn’t sunk in yet,” he said. He too couldn’t believe this had happened. Not the McCoy injury – “he never gets hurt.” Not his early struggles. Not his comeback. Not the final futility.

The two quarterbacks, both sons of Texas who dreamed of leading Texas to a championship, shared the same pain and disappointment. Yet where there was finality for the senior, there was a glimmer of hope for the freshman.

“This was the end,” McCoy said, shaking his head.

“This is something to build on,” Gilbert offered up.

This is the losing locker room of the biggest game. This is stars coming and stars going, fortunes rising and careers falling. This is injuries and opportunities; worst-case scenarios and near impossible comebacks. This is two quarterbacks on one team dealing with the same overwhelming night where both of them felt like they’d lost everything.

When you can't throw the ball more than 7 yards, you obviously have some problems. After reading this I just don't understand how you can call this guy a quitter.

Iamcanadian
01-08-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeah, his wins against Oklahoma the past two years, against aTm, all his comeback wins, his three straight bowl wins including a comeback win in a last minute drive against Ohio State for a BCS bowl win all spell quitter :rolleyes:

Next topic.

Colt doesn't have Peyton Manning's arm. Not even close. But he is ridiculously accurate in the intermediate to semi-long throws. Also, didn't a guy named Chad Pennington succeed in the league year after year with an absolute noodle for an arm? Or, Matt Hasselbeck? Marc Bulger? Jake Delhomme? (for a while, yes, he was successful).

I don't get all this infatuation with strong, laser rocket arms. You all constantly joke about Al Davis, yet you're acting the same way. You see a proven winner, with great intangibles, good athleticism, incredible accuracy with decent arm strength, and you pass him up for the Jamarcus Russell's of the world. Or the Kyle Bollers, Derek Andersons and Jeff Georges. Arm strength is about as over valued as the damn 40 times.

Arm strength and 40 time aren't overrated, but they aren't the be all and end all for playing at the next level either. If you have all the rest then they will pretty well guarantee great success at the next level. If arm strength or speed is all you have then there are no guarantees.

Iamcanadian
01-08-2010, 11:04 AM
He'd be a good fit for any team that runs the WCO. He's mobile, has a quick release, can throw on the run, is very accurate, and is a smart football player. Pretty much everything you look for in a west coast QB.

I think either Minny should draft him in the 2nd or 3rd round to develop for at least a year behind Favre. Or, if past the 3rd round, he'd be a good option for Dallas to draft and develop as a backup for Romo.

I agree. He suits a WCO to the tee and should be very effective in that scheme. However, I think it will take a top 20 pick in round 1 to secure him.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
On yahoo

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-texasqbs010810&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

When you can't throw the ball more than 7 yards, you obviously have some problems. After reading this I just don't understand how you can call this guy a quitter.
Because they can make up any story they want. Actions speak the truth. ...and he quit. Thank goodness he's not being drafted by the Cowboys. I hate quitters. He was pretty much just scared after that hit. Alabama plays big boy football.

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2010, 11:06 AM
To me the almost crying seem manufactured. I've had nothing against McCoy his entire career, but everything about him last night seemed fake to me.

But the fact is McCoy didn't cry. Didn't even shed one damn tear.
He paused and made his statement to the reporter about how he wished he could have played.

Jeez, some of you talk like you had money on the game and LOST big!!

His arm was dead. Yeah he could move it, but there was no feeling. His fingers were numb.
Have you ever slept on hand or arm wrong and woke up hours later with a tingling feeling?? Sure you can move the muscles in your hand or extremity, but you can't 'feel' anything.

If a QB has no touch when he throws the ball, he might as well be using a shovel to catapult the football downfield.

If Colt had been able to play, not saying Texas would have won, but it may have rivaled the Texas vs. USC NC for pure drama and excitement.

I could see the Vikes taking Colt at the bottom of the 1st. He could sit for maybe a year behind Favre if he comes back or Rosenfels, then compete for the starting spot in 2011.

An efficient, heady QB with the ability to run would keep that offense humming in Minnesota.

draftguru151
01-08-2010, 11:12 AM
Because they can make up any story they want. Actions speak the truth. ...and he quit. Thank goodness he's not being drafted by the Cowboys. I hate quitters. He was pretty much just scared after that hit. Alabama plays big boy football.

Are you ******* kidding me? You really can't believe half the **** you post.

prock
01-08-2010, 11:14 AM

holy ignorance! what grounds do you have for calling him a quitter? you dont know anything about the situation. he got injured, couldnt throw the football, so he couldnt go back in the game. you think a 4 year starter with the most wins of all time would quit on his team in his first national championship appearance? oh my god. this is the dumbest thing ive ever heard on this site.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 11:15 AM

It's a news organization. They aren't going to print crap. The guy couldn't go. He fought to get back out there.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 11:17 AM
I knew people would be apologetic and sympathetic, but why can't people come from the opposite point of view either? It's a shame he quit and has to come up with these excuses. But the bottom line is he didn't play and this was THE game he had to play well in to prove his doubters wrong. To me, he still hasn't answered those questions yet. Gimmicky system QB, weak arm, surrounded by uber talent... and no character or heart. Tebow would've played. I think Tebow will be more successful in the NFL than McCoy.

Hurricanes25
01-08-2010, 11:18 AM

How did he quit? He had no feeling in his arm. If he went out there and played, he would have hurt the team. And how was he scared after that hit? He is a Qb, he has been hit plenty of times.

prock
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
I knew people would be apologetic and sympathetic, but why can't people come from the opposite point of view either? It's a shame he quit and has to come up with these excuses. But the bottom line is he didn't play and this was THE game he had to play well in to prove his doubters wrong. To me, he still hasn't answered those questions yet. Gimmicky system QB, weak arm, surrounded by uber talent... and no character or heart. Tebow would've played. I think Tebow will be more successful in the NFL than McCoy.

wow. i lost a lot of respect right there. that is the most ignorant thing ive ever read. why would someone play for four years to get to the national championship and quit? he tried as hard as he could to get out there. his body wouldnt let him. he couldnt feel his arm. who are you to say he was lying? what evidence do you have to say that he wasnt hurt to the point where he couldnt have played? did you seem him try and throw that football in the tunnel? dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 11:20 AM
Are you ******* kidding me? You really can't believe half the **** you post.
Is this deserving of a language infraction? hmm...

Ask me if I care what you think? LOL... Don't make me laugh. It's too early in the morning.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 11:22 AM
It's a news organization. They aren't going to print crap. The guy couldn't go. He fought to get back out there.
Oh I'm not doubting the news organization wrote the story they got from him and his camp. I'm doubting the extremity and sincerity of his story. Sure, they wrote what was relayed to him probably word for word.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 11:26 AM
wow. i lost a lot of respect right there. that is the most ignorant thing ive ever read. why would someone play for four years to get to the national championship and quit? he tried as hard as he could to get out there. his body wouldnt let him. he couldnt feel his arm. who are you to say he was lying? what evidence do you have to say that he wasnt hurt to the point where he couldnt have played? did you seem him try and throw that football in the tunnel? dumbdumbdumbdumbdumb
LOL. What was that supposed to do? Hurt my feelings?

Stop letting your emotions get to you. This is a sports forum where people can discuss differing opinions freely. Stop with the personal attacks. That's a warning.

My evidence is seeing him on the sidelines watching his team go down, scared to go in the game and watching his draft stock tank. You guys seem to think he didn't hurt his draft stock at all. I highly doubt that NFL guys feel that way. But we'll see who's right in the end. I'm on the side of those NFL guys. Can't wait for the draft.

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Surrounded by uber talent???

Surely not on offense. No blue chip dominant RB(s). No great TE. No real complimentary big play WR opposite Shipley. Above average, but not a great Oline.

McCoy IS the Longhorns offense, not the other way around, and it's been that way for 2+ years.

There are no 1st round skill players starting this past season for Texas.

Don't get it twisted, Texas maybe wins 8 games without McCoy this year.

ElectricEye
01-08-2010, 11:31 AM
D-Unit, would you like to have seen McCoy go out there and throw interception after interception to the defense? Would that have proved something to you beyond the fact he's foolish? It's pretty clear to everyone Colt McCoy wanted back in the game. Say whatever you want about him as a pro prospect, I certainly don't like him in that respect, but it was clear by his demeanor on the sidelines that he wanted back in that game. If anything, McCoy has been nothing but reckless with his health in damn near every game he's played. He's been knocked around BAD more than a few times in his college career on scrambles and such and come right back for more. He's not a quitter. Quitters don't lead comebacks, which McCoy has done time after time in Big XII games. It really does not reflect well on you when you say this type of stuff. Same deal with calling Locker a dumb, non-competitive person. You have zero evidence for both besides some contrived idea about how football players are supposed to act. You act like it's a god damned movie.

Cicero
01-08-2010, 11:44 AM

Next topic.

I really think it's the other way around. People on here are far too generous about what an NFL caliber arm is.

bigbuc
01-08-2010, 11:52 AM

This is a joke right? And if you looked hard he was using is left arm to pat teammates. Why don't you have a 290 pound man go helmet first into your arm then try and throw a football 30 times. Its crazy that you guys sit at home with your feet up saying the guy has zero heart. You were not out there!!!! How do you know he didn't try and go back in? And the team said NO. Do you? The fact that your calling a guy who has 45 wins under his belt a Quitter is a joke! He got hurt, yeah it sucks for all party's involved, including us who wanted to see a great game.

bored of education
01-08-2010, 11:54 AM
D Unit stop ******* sheep.

descendency
01-08-2010, 12:18 PM
Sounds like Drew Brees coming out of college. Not saying that McCoy will be the next Brees, but his questions seem similar to Brees. I'm not sure about Brees' or McCoy's arm strength. People just seem to throw around the 'weak arm' label to any QB who doesn't have a John Elway like arm these days.

Brees is the most technically sound QB in the NFL and has good arm strength. He is virtually incomparable to Colt McCoy.

fear the elf
01-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Brees is the most technically sound QB in the NFL and has good arm strength. He is virtually incomparable to Colt McCoy.

Is or was the most technically sound QB coming into the draft? I don't know, I don't remember. I'm just pointing out that the comparison is to Drew Brees as a prospect, not as a veteran, Pro Bowl QB.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 12:42 PM
Actually, I do feel bad for him. It's probably the biggest game he'll ever get a chance to play in and he'll have to live with that for the rest of his life.

Funbuncher, Colt isn't surrounded by uber talent? Stop right there. How many points did a freshman QB with no college experience put up against Alabama's D? Stop. Just stop. It's an insult to the rest of the Longhorns. Defend the quitter and bash the rest of the team? Please, reconsider.

ElectricEye, please don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say Locker wasn't competitive. I simply thought he was taking a big financial gamble. But now it seems the cap won't be back for a while, and his decision is now fine with me. As for Colt... If he had gone out there and threw an INT at least he would've shown courage, will, leadership and probably would've avoided damaging his draft stock. It's just a pity, the way I see it. I feel for the guy, but I saw ZERO heart.

Let me remind you all... X-RAYS WERE NEGATIVE.

brat316
01-08-2010, 12:48 PM
but the nero test and mri never took place

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 01:11 PM
but the nero test and mri never took place
I doubt the results will never be made public. I wonder if he'll even take it... he doesn't have to for football's sake... but he should for his own health's and peace of mind's sake.

If they do become public, I bet it's minor.

prock
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
LOL. What was that supposed to do? Hurt my feelings?

Stop letting your emotions get to you. This is a sports forum where people can discuss differing opinions freely. Stop with the personal attacks. That's a warning.

My evidence is seeing him on the sidelines watching his team go down, scared to go in the game and watching his draft stock tank. You guys seem to think he didn't hurt his draft stock at all. I highly doubt that NFL guys feel that way. But we'll see who's right in the end. I'm on the side of those NFL guys. Can't wait for the draft.

uhhh all im saying is that you have no basis for saying he quit. you dont know his situation. and i think it is very ignorant to assume that the guy isnt hurt. you have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. he has played for four years trying to get to this game, so any athlete with any character what so ever, which mccoy has proved he has, would do anything in their power to get back in the game. but the medical staff wouldnt let him. and im not talking about his draft stock. i am talking about how he didnt quit on his team. so please, how about you present a counter argument next time instead of just telling me to calm down or else. and by the way, im not a texas fan and i dont really care about colt, i just think it was way out of line and uncalled for the say he quit, just so you know where im coming from. my emotions are definitely in check.

Basileus777
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
Brodie Croyle without the arm. Besides all of the issues connected with him being a spread QB, he doesn't have the physical tools or strength to be a NFL starter.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 02:59 PM
uhhh all im saying is that you have no basis for saying he quit. you dont know his situation. and i think it is very ignorant to assume that the guy isnt hurt. you have to give the guy the benefit of the doubt here. he has played for four years trying to get to this game, so any athlete with any character what so ever, which mccoy has proved he has, would do anything in their power to get back in the game. but the medical staff wouldnt let him. and im not talking about his draft stock. i am talking about how he didnt quit on his team. so please, how about you present a counter argument next time instead of just telling me to calm down or else. and by the way, im not a texas fan and i dont really care about colt, i just think it was way out of line and uncalled for the say he quit, just so you know where im coming from. my emotions are definitely in check.
No concussion. No broken bones. X-Rays negative. The hit relatively speaking, wasn't even what you would call a big hit. I'm not saying he didn't feel hurt. Any panty can feel hurt. What he failed to show is toughness. ..and he seemed to fail his teammates when they needed him most. Let's just say it's safe to say he's no Brett Favre or Steve McNair when it comes to fighting through pain.

If you have an issue with the word quitter then I'll rephrase.

He "looked" like a quitter. Maybe he's not, but that's what he looked like.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
Brodie Croyle without the arm. Besides all of the issues connected with him being a spread QB, he doesn't have the physical tools or strength to be a NFL starter.
Texas QBs = Oklahoma QBs = Texas Tech QBs

It's really tough to break the shell outta that of a system.

prock
01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
No concussion. No broken bones. X-Rays negative. The hit relatively speaking, wasn't even what you would call a big hit. I'm not saying he didn't feel hurt. Any panty can feel hurt. What he failed to show is toughness. ..and he seemed to fail his teammates when they needed him most. Let's just say it's safe to say he's no Brett Favre or Steve McNair when it comes to fighting through pain.

If you have an issue with the word quitter then I'll rephrase.

He "looked" like a quitter. Maybe he's not, but that's what he looked like.

i agree it didnt look like a bad hit at all, but as an athlete, i can attest to the fact that sometimes the collisions that dont look bad at all are often the worst. if you get hit on the right spot, it doesnt take much. of course he is no favre or mcnair here, but he said he couldnt feel his arm, so i think you have to believe him. mccoy has proven to us over his four years that he has top character and heart, so if he could have played he would have.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 03:18 PM
i agree it didnt look like a bad hit at all, but as an athlete, i can attest to the fact that sometimes the collisions that dont look bad at all are often the worst. if you get hit on the right spot, it doesnt take much. of course he is no favre or mcnair here, but he said he couldnt feel his arm, so i think you have to believe him. mccoy has proven to us over his four years that he has top character and heart, so if he could have played he would have.
LOL! No need to attempt to excentuate your claim by self proclaiming yourself as an athlete who knows all about injuries. You're killin' me with that.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that many people will overlook his 4 years and emphasize this one big incident that made him "look" like a quitter. As if he didn't have enough going against his doubters... this just made it worse. What happens if he gets hit by Julius Peppers or Shawne Merriman?

Game Over.

prock
01-08-2010, 03:27 PM
LOL! No need to attempt to excentuate your claim by self proclaiming yourself as an athlete who knows all about injuries. You're killin' me with that.

Unfortunately, the truth of the matter is that many people will overlook his 4 years and emphasize this one big incident that made him "look" like a quitter. As if he didn't have enough going against his doubters... this just made it worse. What happens if he gets hit by Julius Peppers or Shawne Merriman?

Game Over.

he got wrecked by suh over and over in the big 12 championship game, but sometimes you just get hit awkwardly and there isnt anything you can do about it. and please you dont know me, dont get on my back. im a d-3 athlete, so i know its not a big deal, but ive played competetive sports all my life so i know enough about injuries. im no future pro thats for sure, but i have had my fair share of awkward collisions and injuries. lay off me bro. but whatever, if you think he is going to fail because you think he is a *****, thats fine. i would still be ecstatic if the vikes could grab him the second round.

Saints-Tigers
01-08-2010, 03:51 PM
K, if he really couldn't throw 7 yards, that's fine. I don't think he's a quitter, he just looked ok on the sideline, but I can admit I don't know the behind the scenes story. Let it go D, looks like we were way off.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 04:18 PM
he got wrecked by suh over and over in the big 12 championship game, but sometimes you just get hit awkwardly and there isnt anything you can do about it. and please you dont know me, dont get on my back. im a d-3 athlete, so i know its not a big deal, but ive played competetive sports all my life so i know enough about injuries. im no future pro thats for sure, but i have had my fair share of awkward collisions and injuries. lay off me bro. but whatever, if you think he is going to fail because you think he is a *****, thats fine. i would still be ecstatic if the vikes could grab him the second round.
You're right. I don't know you. You could be an 8th grader or Brett Favre, himself. It's just when people start to substantiate their claims by talking about themselves in a way that infers no one else can understand, it takes an opinionated discussion about a topic and turns it into a personal pissing contest. I don't mean to get on your back, but you brought that into the discussion.

The fact that you want McCoy on your favorite team only shows me the bias behind your defense of him. The fact that you want him makes me think that you don't think his injury is serious either. ...at least not to the point where it makes you concerned that it wouldn't be a recurring type of injury.

prock
01-08-2010, 04:27 PM
You're right. I don't know you. You could be an 8th grader or Brett Favre, himself. It's just when people start to substantiate their claims by talking about themselves in a way that infers no one else can understand, it takes an opinionated discussion about a topic and turns it into a personal pissing contest. I don't mean to get on your back, but you brought that into the discussion.

The fact that you want McCoy on your favorite team only shows me the bias behind your defense of him. The fact that you want him makes me think that you don't think his injury is serious either. ...at least not to the point where it makes you concerned that it wouldn't be a recurring type of injury.

i only want mccoy on my favorite team because he fits our system very well. i will be the first to admit he wont succeed just anywhere. and no i dont think his injury will be the reoccuring type based off what ive heard, but who knows. we will see how this develops.

T-RICH49
01-08-2010, 04:29 PM

Drew Brees says hi

descendency
01-08-2010, 04:35 PM
Drew Brees says hi

Brees' arm strength is under-rated.

Philliez01
01-08-2010, 04:48 PM

Game Over.

Been reading this thread, and I finally get what you mean! I think.

Every prospect (or team for that matter), for the most part, has their big chance to make or break their "stock" so to speak. Whether it be a showdown between an FCS school vs. USC to show off an OL prospect, the combine or an NC game; moments will define you. VY could've been Reggie Ball but we will (from a CFB fan perspective) view him as toppling Leinart, Bush and company. Reggie Bush had the Fresno State game, Russell had the Sugar Bowl (though other moments), Tebow had birth; all these moments define legacies.

I tend to believe McCoy just got hit in the right spot. But this WHOLE NC experience will always be viewed as either a 'Bama win or "what if McCoy was healthy?". He missed his shot to define his legacy and for such a STELLAR career (and he does seem like a very, very, very, upstanding guy), most non-UT fans will see him on the sidelines.

BTW, I get it. Drew Brees is short. Drew Brees is good. But let's not call every undersized, intangible-loaded college QB Drew Brees. It even took Drew a few years to become who he has. I don't like McCoy as a prospect that much. But he does have some tools to work with. Romo, Sanchez, Gradkowski, Garcia, Thigpen, etc. are all 6'2 or below.

I kinda think McCoy looks like Tyler Thigpen......is that a bad comparison or not?

I searched the Internet a few weeks ago about a Thigpen Scouting Report just out of curiousity. Here were the positives (when he was coming out of Coastal):

-Very good at improvising on the football field
-Has developed quick load and reload ability
-Excels at eluding pressure in the pocket, showing the keen field vision and awareness to avoid the rush and is a dangerous open-field runner when flushed
-Rhythm passer who might be able to throw the deep crossers, but is better served staying away from throwing the long ball
-Has decent acceleration heading up field, but is best when changing direction sharply while maintaining balance throughout his run

His accuracy and decisionmaking though were in question, which is McCoy's bread and butter. But I do see vague similarities.

baronzeus
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Let's look at the QBs in the playoffs.

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Mark Sanchez

Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner

if McCoy's arm were twice as strong as it is now and he was as accurate as Brees, I could see the comparison being made. But look at the other 11 QBs here. Does McCoy fit in, or would he be the "oddball"?

Halsey
01-08-2010, 04:54 PM
I don't know why people are even arguing it. It doesn't seem likely that McCoy would work hard all these years only to 'quit' early in a national title game. If he did, you can't prove it, so what's the point. Some people just want attention and to show how tough they can talk on a message board.

prock
01-08-2010, 05:22 PM

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Mark Sanchez

Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner

if McCoy's arm were twice as strong as it is now and he was as accurate as Brees, I could see the comparison being made. But look at the other 11 QBs here. Does McCoy fit in, or would he be the "oddball"?

this is meaningless. if you had asked that question when kurt warner was a bag boy or brett favre was a second rounder or drew brees was a rookie or when romo was a like a 3rd rounder or when brady was a 6th rounder, you would say the same thing. kurt warner would have been the odd ball in like 97 or 98. romo wouldve been the odd ball in like 03 or 04. the point you are trying to make is irrelevent and makes no sense.

descendency
01-08-2010, 05:38 PM
this is meaningless. if you had asked that question when kurt warner was a bag boy or brett favre was a second rounder or drew brees was a rookie or when romo was a like a 3rd rounder or when brady was a 6th rounder, you would say the same thing. kurt warner would have been the odd ball in like 97 or 98. romo wouldve been the odd ball in like 03 or 04. the point you are trying to make is irrelevent and makes no sense.
Romo was undrafted.

CC.SD
01-08-2010, 05:41 PM

Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Joe Flacco
Philip Rivers
Carson Palmer
Mark Sanchez

Drew Brees
Donovan McNabb
Aaron Rodgers
Tony Romo
Brett Favre
Kurt Warner

He wouldn't be any more of an 'oddball' than Sanchez is right now.

prock
01-08-2010, 06:37 PM
Romo was undrafted.

even further justifies my opinion haha

yourfavestoner
01-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Drew Brees says hi

I'm pretty sure Drew Brees can every throw required. If he couldn't, teams would figure out the throws he can make, game plan to stop those, and force him to make throws he can't. And that definitely hasn't happened.

wordofi
01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
He's got a slight frame
Weak arm

I agree with you. He has the intangibles, but not the physical tools. I do think he will make a good backup though.

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
So let me get this straight; injured players = quitter.

Gotcha.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 06:59 PM
So let me get this straight; injured players = quitter.

Gotcha.
If that's where the level of your comprehension is, then maybe you need help.

JaxJag_1
01-08-2010, 07:46 PM
For me it's just this way, I doubt he can make every throw required of an NFL QB and he's too small and will look like a little boy with NFL players. I love his intanglibles, leadership, and experience and his accuracy as well but that isn't enough to overcome all his physical limitations at the next level. Just like having all the physical tools in the world and being dumb as a bag of bricks won't get it done either (JaMarcus). If you could put McCoy's intanglibles into JaMarcus' body you'd have the best QB of all-time.

Now, I do think with the right team, right supporting cast, right coach, and right system he could be an adequate QB for you, but never the "long-term" or "franchise" QB.

The difference is that players like Drew Brees are the system, they make the system and can fit anything and systems are tailored around them, but Colt McCoy needs to find the right situation for him and even then he'll have his limitations.

I'd take him in Round 5, maybe Round 4 if I was desperate for a QB, but this Round 1 or 2 talk is completely asinine.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 07:53 PM

Scott Van Pelt (from his Radio Show Today):

"Predictably, you've got the chat board warriors calling him a wimp and worse that he didn't go out there and play. Yeah, I'm sure in your life you've been on the field for anything that mattered that much and I'm sure you've ever been hit that hard in your life. Please, just save the tough guy talk. There is nothing that is less tough."

Couldn't say it better myself.

D-Unit
01-08-2010, 07:59 PM
Scott Van Pelt (from his Radio Show Today):

"Predictably, you've got the chat board warriors calling him a wimp and worse that he didn't go out there and play. Yeah, I'm sure in your life you've been on the field for anything that mattered that much and I'm sure you've ever been hit that hard in your life. Please, just save the tough guy talk. There is nothing that is less tough."

Couldn't say it better myself.
Scott Van Pelt acknowledges me!!!! Yay!

So what if people have differing opinions? It makes the world go round. If everyone thought the same thing it'd be terrible.

I'll say it again. Colt McCoy looked like a quitter with no guts. As expected the injury is not serious. He's fine. Good luck to him in his life. He didn't play in the biggest game he'll ever have a chance to play in and that sucks for him more than I'll ever know.

FUNBUNCHER
01-08-2010, 08:00 PM
One million rep points to Mr. Van Pelt!!

Bengalsrocket
01-08-2010, 09:26 PM

So what if people have differing opinions? It makes the world go round. If everyone thought the same thing it'd be terrible.

I'll say it again. Colt McCoy looked like a quitter with no guts. As expected the injury is not serious. He's fine. Good luck to him in his life. He didn't play in the biggest game he'll ever have a chance to play in and that sucks for him more than I'll ever know.

Can you stop saying this? If every time there was an opinion on these boards the whole forum just said "so what, he disagrees!", then the forum wouldn't exist.

We get it, you have an opinion and you're entitled to that opinion. It doesn't mean it's right and it doesn't mean you need to preface every single one saying it's "just an opinion".

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 12:35 AM
Can you stop saying this? If every time there was an opinion on these boards the whole forum just said "so what, he disagrees!", then the forum wouldn't exist.

We get it, you have an opinion and you're entitled to that opinion. It doesn't mean it's right and it doesn't mean you need to preface every single one saying it's "just an opinion".
What duh? How many times have I ever said that in the past?

Opinions make the world go round. And you're right. They're not all right. But it doesn't make them wrong all the time either.

I have nothing against Colt personally... I have nothing against Texas... I have nothing vested in Alabama... I just thought it was a shame that he didn't play, and I was disappointed that he couldn't play. I can only judge by what I know and what I saw. So that opinion can be an ignorant one, but that doesn't bother me one bit. I can still voice my thoughts. I didn't come in here attacking people's thoughts. I just voiced my own opinion and it's obviously not a unique opinion (see Scott Van Pelt's comment). So I dunno what the big deal is. People got more emotional about this than I thought... but I'm glad our forum was just as involved in the topic as it seems to have been on other outlets throughout the web.

I'm done with this issue. Good luck to the guy. Believe it or not, I voiced my opinion that I thought he was a #1 overall pick worthy. Boy was I wrong. Hah. Never shy to admit when I'm wrong.

MetSox17
01-09-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm actually disgusted at some of the pathetic things that have been said here so far. Coincidentally, all by one poster. Again, to the person that has been calling Colt a quitter, i'll quote myself earlier in the thread.

Don't ignore this post. Tell me how in the hell you can say that Colt is a quitter? How many Texas games have you ever in your life watched? I bet you last night was your first one. You know absolutely nothing of McCoy, or this team, and to bash the person that has probably given the most to a program in the past twenty years out of anyone not named Tim Tebow is downright stupid. Then you go on to say that Texas has "uber talent" on offense.

Funbuncher, Colt isn't surrounded by uber talent? Stop right there. How many points did a freshman QB with no college experience put up against Alabama's D? Stop. Just stop. It's an insult to the rest of the Longhorns. Defend the quitter and bash the rest of the team? Please, reconsider.

That right there is how i know you know diddly squat about Texas football. The reason Gilbert put up points on Alabama's defense was because THE DEFENSE ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. Alabama got absolutely NO pressure on an offensive line that let up 8 sacks to Nebraska, and had been shifted around all season long. There are no NFL starters on the offensive line that played yesterday. We trotted out a RS freshman running back. A true freshman WR. A guy that couldn't catch a cold at a clinic. Absolutely no TE to speak of. Why don't you point out to me where exactly all this talent is?

Saints-Tigers
01-09-2010, 02:23 AM
Drew Brees says hi

So which throw can't Drew Brees make?

And as for the topic this thread has strayed too, it makes you look like a fool when you form a different opinion just for the sake of being different.

Stop being that guy, it's not that cool.

SenorGato
01-09-2010, 02:56 AM

I liked Harrell more.

He's like a taller, more skilled Matt Grothe as far as being an NFL prospect goes...to me anyway. I doubt the Jets touch him, so I'm not really worried about ranking him on my theoretical Jets draft board.

vikes_28
01-09-2010, 03:01 AM
I have a solution to this argument with NFLDC vs D-Unit. We will all sock D in the arm once, as hard as we can. Then we will throw a football at him and tell him to throw it back. Right in the chest. Then D-Unit will know how Colt McCoy felt.

To me it actually sounds like D-Unit is pissed cause he knows the Cowboys are going to take Colt McCoy in the 3rd round this year!

MetSox17
01-09-2010, 03:18 AM
Colt would be perfect in Dallas. He could sit behind Romo for three, four years while he learns and gets better.

vikes_28
01-09-2010, 03:39 AM

http://sfj70.typepad.com/life_in_the_mind_of_a_mod/images/2007/12/05/ignorance_2.jpg

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 05:08 AM
I have a solution to this argument with NFLDC vs D-Unit. We will all sock D in the arm once, as hard as we can. Then we will throw a football at him and tell him to throw it back. Right in the chest. Then D-Unit will know how Colt McCoy felt.

To me it actually sounds like D-Unit is pissed cause he knows the Cowboys are going to take Colt McCoy in the 3rd round this year!
Already protecting your future QB, I see... lol. Nice.

nepg
01-09-2010, 08:53 AM
Just because there was one doesn't mean that there has to be a next one. Drew Brees also has a far stronger arm than Colt has.
He didn't when he was drafted.

Jughead10
01-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Colt would be perfect in Dallas. He could sit behind Romo for three, four years while he learns and gets better.

What round do you think he deserves to get picked in? Because if he sits for 3 to 4 years, he'll need another contract before he sees any playing time.

nepg
01-09-2010, 09:00 AM
Is or was the most technically sound QB coming into the draft? I don't know, I don't remember. I'm just pointing out that the comparison is to Drew Brees as a prospect, not as a veteran, Pro Bowl QB.
It's ridiculous that people keep trying to block the Brees comparison by saying Brees doesn't have issues with arm strength or being able to make all the throws.

Brees DID have these issues when he was drafted. It took him 4 years to build up the arm strength and be able to make all of those throws. 4 years. People forget how close Brees was to being swept under the rug to never play in the NFL again... San Diego didn't draft Rivers because they thought 2 good QBs would be fun...

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Better or worse than Vince Young?

Jughead10
01-09-2010, 11:17 AM
Better or worse than Vince Young?

Worse. Vince Young has too many athletic advantages over Colt.

MenOfTroy
01-09-2010, 02:13 PM

You could say that about practically any good spread QB... Tebow, Alex Smith, Graham Harrell, etc.

EvilMonkey
01-09-2010, 02:41 PM
That right there is how i know you know diddly squat about Texas football. The reason Gilbert put up points on Alabama's defense was because THE DEFENSE ISN'T ALL THAT GREAT. Alabama got absolutely NO pressure on an offensive line that let up 8 sacks to Nebraska, and had been shifted around all season long. There are no NFL starters on the offensive line that played yesterday. We trotted out a RS freshman running back. A true freshman WR. A guy that couldn't catch a cold at a clinic. Absolutely no TE to speak of. Why don't you point out to me where exactly all this talent is?

sums it up perfectly for me. What did Texas do in the second half? Gilbert just stared down Shipley and threw it to him every time, yet it was successful. Wouldn't you think such a great, overpowing defense like Alabama coulda figured that out and found a way to stop it? Greg Davis tried that stupid conservative play-calling draws, screens, etc for 2 quarters trying to find a way to move the ball without having his QB turn it over and when he still managed to do that he FINALLY just said screw it and opened it up and the result was that supposedly amazing Alabama D couldn't cover 1 WR. Really, really unimpressed by Alabama's D.

On to McCoy as a prospect. I really like him as a prospect if he can get in the right system. If he gets in the right system and can sit for a year or two to develop in the pro-style game I don't see why he can't be a nice QB. His arm strength is good enough and his accuracy is a huge plus. It comes down mainly to the system (a WCO would be great for him) and his desire, which has been questioned by some but i don't at all. I've always seen him as a determined worker and I guy that tries as hard as he can to get the job done. I'm not saying he's gonna be an MVP QB but i could easily see him as a top 10 QB for a period of time in the right system with the proper time to develop. Those are obviously huge "ifs" but nearly all prospects have plenty of "ifs" when it comes to how they pan out in the NFL. I think Jeff Garcia is a great comparison, but when I'm saying that, please realize I'm not talking 40 year old Garcia as a comparison, but Garcia 5-10 years ago.

Finally, all the BS said on here by some on how he's a quitter and sh*t is just dumb. He couldn't feel his arm and couldn't throw the ball 10 yards to his f*cking dad in the locker room with any accuracy, how is he gonna go play and be effective? Yeah, he can clap and **** on the sideline with a half-numb arm so people think that and he was staying out for his own personal reasons which is BS. There are some things you can do with partial feeling in your arm, clapping is easy, gripping a football and throwing it accurately is not. He couldn't have played effectively with that injury, he wasn't a quitter.

gutman54
01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
haha d-unit stop being a gaf, stop acting like the 39 year old who still lives with their mom, and shut the hell up..oh..what are you gonna do..kick me off..like i really care, grow up dude, it's really sad to see you baggin on him when i'm sure you've done nothing with your life but post 39,000 times on a website forum

Shane P. Hallam
01-10-2010, 11:43 AM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/clarifying-colt-mccoys-injury----again.html

Final documentation of his injury. His arm was dead.

Philliez01
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/01/clarifying-colt-mccoys-injury----again.html

Final documentation of his injury. His arm was dead.

It came back to life!

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 01:10 PM
Is it me, or does McCoy remind anyone of Jeff Garcia, put him in the right offense and I think he could be pretty good, late 2nd/early 3rd is where I would take him.

MetSox17
01-10-2010, 11:22 PM
What round do you think he deserves to get picked in? Because if he sits for 3 to 4 years, he'll need another contract before he sees any playing time.

Does he deserve? I honestly think he is a first round talent. No matter what though, i think he needs to sit a year or two and learn learn learn. Second or third round seems most likely, but you really never know. It all depends how he performs at the Combine or his Pro Day. Last year at a QB Camp he was competing with Bradford throw for throw, and scouts were extremely impressed with both of them.

Iamcanadian
01-11-2010, 01:39 AM
Does he deserve? I honestly think he is a first round talent. No matter what though, i think he needs to sit a year or two and learn learn learn. Second or third round seems most likely, but you really never know. It all depends how he performs at the Combine or his Pro Day. Last year at a QB Camp he was competing with Bradford throw for throw, and scouts were extremely impressed with both of them.

Considering he completed around 75% of his passes last year, a figure that is bound to appeal to scouts, he is likely headed for round 1. He is a 4 year starter at Texas, some 40 odd games, so he isn't likely to sit more than half a season and should be starting by game 8 next season in the NFL.

dra320
01-11-2010, 04:52 AM
He is a football genius

romo4prez415
01-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Not a big McCoy fan. He's a guy that has a below average arm for NFL starting qb standards, has poor bulk, and really doesn't have much of a shot because of the lack of physical skillset. At the very best he's Jeff Garcia and that would be 4 years down the road after strength and conditioning and he's have to be flawless in his reads and accuracy because of the condensed field he'll be playing against because of his lack of ability to threaten all levels of the field. I actually think it'd be best for him to take the Garcia route and play in Canada because I think if he starts in his 1st 2 years he may be ruined for good because he doesn't seem to have that confidence to handle failure and become better from it. I wouldn't touch him until the 5th and that would be only if I was in the WCO. Otherwise he's not even draftable to me. Graham Harrell with mobility is all I see.

foozball
01-11-2010, 11:30 PM
He's pretty small

No, he's pretty short. He's probably 6'1 1/2 or so. He's got a decent frame, certainly better than Sam Bradford (if you don't count height). Bradford is like 6'4 165lbs

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 04:14 AM

You were missing my point. Traditional franchise QBs who carry their teams through thick and thin are almost all of the same mold. 6'3-6'5, strong armed, tall-standing pocket passers. Colt McCoy is none of these things. The fact that Warner and Romo and Brady made it actually helps my case here; those guys fit the mold but didn't have the stats in college to be drafted high enough or at all. Once surrounded by a good system and good receivers and a good line, they thrived.

I'm not saying Colt will NEVER be a great QB, but the chances are VERY VERY slim. Brees is the exception to the rule, and he's got a stronger arm than McCoy and is also considered to have one of the highest football IQs in of any QB ever.

Hang on to him as long as you want, but anyone who drafts McCoy in the early couple rounds is insane.

prock
01-13-2010, 08:08 AM
You were missing my point. Traditional franchise QBs who carry their teams through thick and thin are almost all of the same mold. 6'3-6'5, strong armed, tall-standing pocket passers. Colt McCoy is none of these things. The fact that Warner and Romo and Brady made it actually helps my case here; those guys fit the mold but didn't have the stats in college to be drafted high enough or at all. Once surrounded by a good system and good receivers and a good line, they thrived.

well actually its not that brady and romo didnt put up stats in college to be drafted high. stats dont get you drafted. its about how well you are projected to do be in the nfl based on your physical abilities, etc. if stats get you drafted, jason white and graham harrell would have been number 1 picks. colt mccoy has potential to be a good quarterback in the nfl based on his movement, his pin point accuracy, his decent arm, and he is a hard worker. put in the right system, like brady was, he could thrive. he is the perfect fit for the west coast offense and he doesnt have the strongest arm so playing somewhere cold weathered isnt the best option, so why couldnt he be a good player for minnesota? just because someone doesnt fit the "traditional mold" doesnt mean they cant be a franchise quarterback, ask vince young, tony romo, etc.

descendency
01-13-2010, 09:11 AM
Brady was benched for Drew Stanton who had a traditional NFL arm that was being used to run a pro-style system that was ran at Michigan. However, it seems Brady getting drafted really low propelled him to work very hard and develop his talent. (There are stories of him being in the weight room at 12 midnight because he needed to bulk up.)

Drew Brees (the canonical short guy example) has a similar story of how he rebuilt himself after leaving college.

fear the elf
01-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Brady was benched for Drew Stanton who had a traditional NFL arm that was being used to run a pro-style system that was ran at Michigan.

We're talking Tom Brady right? He played for Michigan, but Drew Stanton played for Michigan State, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your wrong about this particular part of your argument.

Saints-Tigers
01-13-2010, 10:16 AM
He meant Drew Henson, Michigan slip I'm sure....

Anyway, Romo, Brady, and Warner are all poor examples until Colt increases his arm strength by a good bit.

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 11:07 AM
We're talking Tom Brady right? He played for Michigan, but Drew Stanton played for Michigan State, so I'm gonna go out on a limb and say your wrong about this particular part of your argument.

Especially because, as a Michigan fan, I know he's wrong even if he's referring to Henson:

Quote from wikipedia: "Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson, ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr."

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Is it me, or does McCoy remind anyone of Jeff Garcia, put him in the right offense and I think he could be pretty good, late 2nd/early 3rd is where I would take him.
Ermm... Jeff Garcia is a fighter! He doesn't ever give up. He's also a pro style QB. Also, a highly intelligent QB. McCoy is a product of the spread and everything that is wrong with that. There are only 2 starting QBs that have come from this kind of system in the NFL. Vince Young and Alex Smith. McCoy could end up being a good QB, but he will have to sit for 2-3 years or more. The transition will be HUUUGE. The odds of success are against him. Pulling it out would make him a special case.

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
However, it seems Brady getting drafted really low propelled him to work very hard and develop his talent. (There are stories of him being in the weight room at 12 midnight because he needed to bulk up.)

This is exactly the point. Someone with the traditional NFL body type like Brady can bulk up and make himself fit the mold. Someone like Colt McCoy can't.

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
vince young

Comparing Colt McCoy to VY? VY had off-the-charts athleticism and arm strength as well as certain intangibles. He'll never be as accurate as McCoy but it doesn't matter if McCoy can't throw the ball further than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

01-13-2010, 11:20 AM
Comparing Colt McCoy to VY? VY had off-the-charts athleticism and arm strength as well as certain intangibles. He'll never be as accurate as McCoy but it doesn't matter if McCoy can't throw the ball further than Ryan Fitzpatrick.

Wait, there's a perfect comparison!

JK

prock
01-13-2010, 12:22 PM

yes, because i said vince young wasnt a traditional starting quarterback and neither is colt mccoy, they are obviously an exact comparison. god damn your dumb. read my whole post, not just "vince young".

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 12:23 PM
god damn your dumb.

Hah. Yep. :(

FUNBUNCHER
01-13-2010, 12:27 PM
This is exactly the point. Someone with the traditional NFL body type like Brady can bulk up and make himself fit the mold. Someone like Colt McCoy can't.

Tom Brady left Michigan barely weighing 200#, I think he was 198 pounds officially at the combine, and couldn't outrun most Olineman. That's why he dropped.
There's nothing wrong with Colt's physique, he's roughly the same size and height as Romo/Warner/Brees. His transition from playing in a spread offense to being a QB in a pro style system is his biggest challenge.
And accuracy and ball release are much more important than pure arm strength anyway.
McCoy doesn't have a great arm, but by NFL standards it's adequate enough.
Although McCoy has played much better competition in college than Colt Brennan, to me these QBs are essentially the same player, except that McCoy is much more athletic and a better runner.

(Hopefully Shanahan will give Brennan a shot this TC to be the Skins # 1 guy.)

I hope McCoy gets drafted by the Vikes, which in so many ways would be the perfect situation for him.

prock
01-13-2010, 12:28 PM

colt mccoy is 6'2" 210 lbs. tom brady is 6'4" 225 lbs. so is two inches really that big of a difference? mccoy can put on 15 pounds easy. if you are going to say he cant be a quarterback in the nfl because he doesnt have the right body, thats just dumb. a guy who is 6'2" 225 pounds (once colt bulks up) has virtually the same body as a guy who is 6'4" 225 pounds.

prock
01-13-2010, 12:29 PM
Tom Brady left Michigan barely weighing 200#, I think he was 198 pounds officially at the combine, and couldn't outrun most Olineman. That's why he dropped.
There's nothing wrong with Colt's physique, he's roughly the same size and height as Romo/Warner/Brees. His transition from playing in a spread offense to being a QB in a pro style system is his biggest challenge.
And accuracy and ball release are much more important than pure arm strength anyway.
McCoy doesn't have a great arm, but by NFL standards it's adequate enough.
Although McCoy has played much better competition in college than Colt Brennan, to me these QBs are essentially the same player, except that McCoy is much more athletic and a better runner.

(Hopefully Shanahan will give Brennan a shot this TC to be the Skins # 1 guy.)

I hope McCoy gets drafted by the Vikes, which in so many ways would be the perfect situation for him.

amen brother.

MetSox17
04-04-2010, 03:37 PM
Trent Dilfer, one of the smartest guys ESPN has ever hired, thinks four years down the road, Colt McCoy is gonna be the best QB of this draft class.

Says right now Clausen is the best prospect. Thinks Bradford is gonna struggle a lot and shouldn't be the first QB drafted.

Also said that he has watched every single snap Clausen has ever taken, every snap of Bradford's 08 season three times, and every snap of Colt's 08 and 09 seasons.

http://www.101espn.com/post/43039_burwell_and_stelton_show_note_friday_4210/audio

batsandgats
04-04-2010, 08:12 PM
Especially because, as a Michigan fan, I know he's wrong even if he's referring to Henson:

Quote from wikipedia: "Brady battled for the starting job with Drew Henson, ultimately starting every game in the 1998 and 1999 seasons under Michigan head coach Lloyd Carr."

He started every game, as in played in the first series. They split snaps in 1999. I don't think it was until the bowl game that Brady had a game with all of the snaps. So I wouldn't say benched, but the coach didn't have full confidence in him for most of the season. I think Henson had around 100 pass attempts in 99.

brat316
04-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Trent Dilfer, one of the smartest guys ESPN has ever hired, thinks four years down the road, Colt McCoy is gonna be the best QB of this draft class.

Says right now Clausen is the best prospect. Thinks Bradford is gonna struggle a lot and shouldn't be the first QB drafted.

Also said that he has watched every single snap Clausen has ever taken, every snap of Bradford's 08 season three times, and every snap of Colt's 08 and 09 seasons.

http://www.101espn.com/post/43039_burwell_and_stelton_show_note_friday_4210/audio

What did he say about last year's qb.

Addict
04-04-2010, 08:32 PM
colt mccoy is 6'2" 210 lbs. tom brady is 6'4" 225 lbs. so is two inches really that big of a difference? mccoy can put on 15 pounds easy. if you are going to say he cant be a quarterback in the nfl because he doesnt have the right body, thats just dumb. a guy who is 6'2" 225 pounds (once colt bulks up) has virtually the same body as a guy who is 6'4" 225 pounds.

for most QB's of 6'0", two inches is the difference between a career in the NFL and.... well not having a career in the NFL. Except the obvious exeption Drew Brees.

armageddon
04-04-2010, 09:49 PM
No, he's pretty short. He's probably 6'1 1/2 or so. He's got a decent frame, certainly better than Sam Bradford (if you don't count height). Bradford is like 6'4 165lbs

Bradford 6'4 1/4 236

Only off by about 70 lbs

J-Mike88
04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
I don't think so.
I'd like to see a radar gun measure QB passes. Why don't they?
They measure tennis serves, forehands, pitches of course. Why not measure the QB's fastballs?

Brees arm might be a little stronger than McCoy's is. But how strong was Montana's? Young? Brady?
And McCoy is taller than Brees.

McCoy did as well in the same conference as Bradford did.

I agree with Dilfer: McCoy is going to end up the best QB of this class if he goes to a team that's not moronic like the Raiders.

Brent
04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
how strong was Montana's? Young? Brady?
1) Montana didnt need a strong arm, he never threw deep bombs often.
2) Steve Young had a ******* cannon
3) What are you getting at? Dont include HoFers when talking about Colt McCoy as a prospect.

prock
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
I don't think so.
They measure tennis serves, forehands, pitches of course. Why not measure the QB's fastballs?

Brees arm might be a little stronger than McCoy's is. But how strong was Montana's? Young? Brady?

I agree with Dilfer: McCoy is going to end up the best QB of this class if he goes to a team that's not moronic like the Raiders.

It definitely isn't out of the question. If Colt goes to a WCO (i.e. Minnesota) and can sit for like two years, I think he will be exceptional.

Supporting Caste
04-04-2010, 10:08 PM
I think he's the most overrated player in the draft.

GoRavens
04-04-2010, 10:37 PM
I think he's the most overrated player in the draft.

You're just wrong.
JPP is clearly more overrated than McCoy.
McCoy is a leader, really smart, has an amazingly accurate ball, and makes really good decisions in the pocket.
JPP can do backflips and is really tall and really fast. That's it. I don't even know if he can speak english.
McCoy is a Jeff Garcia clone.

SKim172
04-04-2010, 11:06 PM
I don't think so.

Didn't they used to measure ball speed for QBs at the combine? I remember seeing that among top performers. Dunno if they still do that.

Saints-Tigers
04-04-2010, 11:31 PM
Drew Brees has a way way way stronger arm than McCoy, give me a break.

Texas Homer
04-04-2010, 11:40 PM
It sounds like NFL scouts like McCoy.

Supporting Caste
04-05-2010, 12:50 AM
You're just wrong.
McCoy is a leader, really smart, has an amazingly accurate ball, and makes really good decisions in the pocket.
JPP can do backflips and is really tall and really fast. That's it. I don't even know if he can speak english.

I never signed up to be JPP's rep, but I don't think McCoy's accuracy is even half-way to 'amazing.'

The guy made extremely simple reads, has no arm, isn't as athletic as Garcia, and really isn't that accurate. Quick release and smart is nice, but that goes for a lot of guys.

wordofi
04-05-2010, 01:19 AM
I don't think so.

McCoy will not be able to fare well in the NFL because he can't throw the ball with enough velocity to complete 15-20 yard passes. Also, he's going to get a lot of passes batted down due to his lack of height. I think he's a third-string quarterback.

Bengalsrocket
04-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Drew Brees has bulked up his arm a little bit since college, Tom Brady too. It's not impossible for McCoy to sit on the bench, while he puts a little more strength into his arm. Meanwhile, if he doesn't get any stronger, the experience of being on a pro team (even riding the bench) could allow him to develop into a sort of Garcia / Pennington type QB (both weaker arm guys who mix good decision making with accurate throws to achieve good results on the field).

McCoy doesn't have the arm to justify that 1st round pick to me, but he's definitely above a lot of other guys and could be a good pick for a team thinking into the future if they're willing to sacrifice the pick now.

eyeinthesky
04-05-2010, 02:35 AM
This little piece (http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-02-26/sports/17359732_1_steve-young-aaron-rodgers-nfl) from the 2005 draft has always stuck in my head.
"I met Steve Young at the Super Bowl this year," Rodgers said. "He's a lot shorter than I thought he was."

The crowd laughed.

It's clear Rodgers had done his homework on the issue du jour. He explained that a friend recently sent him an e-mail pointing out the average height of all the quarterbacks in the Hall of Fame was 6-1. Actually, according to the Hall of Fame, the average -- for "modern era" quarterbacks -- is 6-1 1/2. Close enough.
If Colt McCoy fails in the NFL, it's not because of how far the top of his head is from the ground.

The Dude Abides
04-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I hate him because of his douchebaggy "ironic" mustache and his stupid website he kept having commercials for during the weeks leading up to the NC.

yourfavestoner
04-05-2010, 10:56 AM
He could very well turn out to be a nice player, but I think very good backup/average starter is where he'll tap out. Think of a slightly richer man's Bruce Gradkowski.

God help him if he ever has to play a winter/playoff game in the Northeast, though.

Brown Leader
04-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Colt McCoy "I'm the best QB in this draft"

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/04/cleveland_browns_prospect_colt.html

"C'mon now.."

keylime_5
04-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Holmgren said his arm is somewhere betweeen Joe Montana's and Brett Favre's (really went out on a limb there) and that his height doesn't concern him (west coast offense helps this shortcoming with throwing lanes and moving pocket, see Jeff Garcia). Browns are gonna try like hell to draft McCoy in or around the top of the 2nd round. He's "their guy" and they haven't kept that secret very well.

Brown Leader
04-17-2010, 04:28 PM
Holmgren said his arm is somewhere betweeen Joe Montana's and Brett Favre's (really went out on a limb there) and that his height doesn't concern him (west coast offense helps this shortcoming with throwing lanes and moving pocket, see Jeff Garcia). Browns are gonna try like hell to draft McCoy in or around the top of the 2nd round. He's "their guy" and they haven't kept that secret very well.

Trying to drive up his stock in hopes of a good WR/CB/OG comes their way imo. And it's working.

EDIT-Also there's a difference between arm strength and velocity. Hassellback has weak/average arm strength but gets nice velocity on his throws-same goes for Brees and went for Garcia. How's Colt's velocity?

PoopSandwich
04-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Trying to drive up his stock in hopes of a good WR/CB/OG comes their way imo. And it's working.

I doubt it, I actually believe they want him.

Brown Leader
04-17-2010, 04:47 PM
I doubt it, I actually believe they want him.

Let me add-

Trying to drive up his stock in hopes of a good QB-Bradford/WR/CB/OG comes their way imo. And it's working.

NFL people NEVER lie this time of year...

ZOMGitsjosh
04-17-2010, 04:50 PM
He's a winner and a leader.

keylime_5
04-17-2010, 05:02 PM
I don't think they're trying to drive up his stock. Maybe they are, but they want him and they are worried about someone taking him in the late first or early second before pick 38 is on the clock. Everything seems to indicate they think he's "their guy." All the things he is best at make him a great fit for the offense we are moving towards, and a couple of his detractors (size, arm strength) aren't as important in that system as they are in others.

PoopSandwich
04-17-2010, 05:02 PM
Let me add-

Trying to drive up his stock in hopes of a good QB-Bradford/WR/CB/OG comes their way imo. And it's working.

I never said it isn't possible he is lying, I said I believe he is telling the truth here.

Brown Leader
04-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I think he's telling the truth when he says this..

Mike Holmgren
(On if Sam Bradford is that much ahead of the rest of the quarterback class)- “One man’s opinion, I think he is.

Rosebud
04-17-2010, 05:23 PM
You're just wrong.

JPP may be functionally illerate and down with the syndrome, but he's still a way better prospect than McCoy, McCoy has a ceiling around Jeff Garcia, so a mediocre to solid NFL starting QB, JPP on the other hand has a limitless ceiling. It's not crazy to project a hard working kid who has a very good motor but is just very new to the sport and raw to learning how to use his tools at least to some degree. Frankly JPP may never become the great DE he is capable of being but I think with his potential, work ethic and motor he's a good bet to become agood to very good starting DE, with the potential to be even better than that. I was a lineman in high school and still love my defensive lineman, but you don't need to be smart to be a high quality end, it wouldn't hurt but it's not a requirement so JPP's intelligence, or lack there of, isn't really a knock but rather just not a positive.

MetSox17
04-17-2010, 06:41 PM
JPP may be functionally illerate and down with the syndrome, but he's still a way better prospect than McCoy, McCoy has a ceiling around Jeff Garcia

So he has the ceiling of a multiple Pro-Bowl QB. What a ****** ceiling :rolleyes:

Rosebud
04-17-2010, 06:47 PM
So he has the ceiling of a multiple Pro-Bowl QB. What a ****** ceiling :rolleyes:

If everything goes right he could be a multiple time probowler, but Garcia was never a top 10 caliber QB, even with TO making him look beast, and McCoy won't be either. So to me Garcia was a solid starter, nothing more and that's what I see from McCoy.

MetSox17
04-17-2010, 06:57 PM
If everything goes right he could be a multiple time probowler, but Garcia was never a top 10 caliber QB, even with TO making him look beast, and McCoy won't be either. So to me Garcia was a solid starter, nothing more and that's what I see from McCoy.

Eli Manning has never been a Top 10 QB, and probably never will be, yet he's a superbowl champion and is currently the highest paid QB in the league. McCoy is a winner, and has the work ethic and talent to be successful in the league, if put in a situation where he won't develop bad habits. He can be what Eli Manning is to the Giants.

marshallb
04-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Eli Manning has never been a Top 10 QB, and probably never will be, yet he's a superbowl champion and is currently the highest paid QB in the league. McCoy is a winner, and has the work ethic and talent to be successful in the league, if put in a situation where he won't develop bad habits. He can be what Eli Manning is to the Giants.

I think the perfect place for Colt McCoy is the Vikings, great receivers, strong running game, good oline, and the right system in the West Coast. If you look at my sig, that is where I have him going in the Vikings mock I put out today. He'd also get a year to learn under Brett as long as he comes back, and even if he doesn't, T-Jack and Sage should be good enough to hold the job down for this year. The only thing that would scare me about the situation even slightly is our pair of 6'8" OTs.

Iamcanadian
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Bradford, Clausen, Snead, LeFevour, Pike, Levi Brown, Skelton, and Mallett (if he were to declare) are all undoubtably better prospects IMO

Colt McCoy doesn't suit ever team but if your team plays a WCO, McCoy could possibly fit in quite well. Many WCO QB's don't have big arms but they are highly accurate plus all the other qualitiers that McCoy has. He suits that offense to a tee and could be very successful in it.
The talk about him being a 2nd round pick isn't all talk, it is likely a fact with only Bradford and Clausen ahead of him. I do like Skelton and he'll go higher than expected but McCoy should still stay ahead of him. I wouldn't count out Tebow either.
In fact, McCoy could shock people and sneak into late round 1 for some desperate WCO team but early round 2 is more likely.

Rosebud
04-17-2010, 07:37 PM

Eli's a top 10 QB right now and if you disagree it's at least debateable. I don't see McCoy ever even coming close to Eli's level. Who's clearly better than Eli over than Brees, Peyton, Brady, Rivers and Rodgers?

MetSox17
04-17-2010, 07:44 PM
Eli's a top 10 QB right now and if you disagree it's at least debateable. I don't see McCoy ever even coming close to Eli's level. Who's clearly better than Eli over than Brees, Peyton, Brady, Rivers and Rodgers?

Schaub, Roethlisbeger and Favre are all clearly better. Then you have the whole bunch of other guys who you can make a case for.

BaLLiN
04-17-2010, 08:58 PM
Schaub, Roethlisbeger and Favre are all clearly better. Then you have the whole bunch of other guys who you can make a case for.

i disagree, Ben at least debateable. Favre is better obviously, you can't argue that.

BaLLiN
04-17-2010, 09:10 PM
so going through the starting QB's in the NFL:

Trent Edwards
Chad Henne
Tom Brady
Mark Sanchez
Joe Flacco
Carson Palmer
Jake Delhomme (CLE)
Ben Roethlisberger
Matt Schaub
Peyton Manning
David Garrard
Vince Young
Kyle Orton
Matt Cassel
JaMarcus Russell
Phillip Rivers
Tony Romo
Eli Manning
Kevin Kolb
Donovan McNabb
Jay Cutler
Matthew Stafford
Aaron Rodgers
Brett Favre
Matt Ryan
Matt Moore
Drew Brees
Josh Freeman
Matt Leinart
(whoever Rams go with)
Alex Smith
Matt Hasslebeck

(bolded the ones clearly better than Eli)

Bengalsrocket
04-17-2010, 09:18 PM
Eli's not a world beater like his brother is though, I think is the point. He's solid and likely has his job locked up until retirement (unless the Giants have a Montana / Young or Favre / Rodgers type situation).

I think McCoy could be that kind of guy, though his play style is easily criticized which may make him an unfavorable candidate for any team to call him their franchise QB (similar to Garcia or Pennington getting pushed out of town fairly easily).

WCH
04-17-2010, 10:40 PM
If everything goes right he could be a multiple time probowler, but Garcia was never a top 10 caliber QB, even with TO making him look beast [...]

BS. Did you not watch football in the earlier part of the decade? Or do you just not remember how good this guy was, albeit for a brief period of time (when he was throwing to TO in his prime)?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2000
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2001
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2002

I mean, Christ, for a brief period the television media was hyping him like he was the second coming of Joe Montana. Jeff Garcia was the Tony Romo of the early portion of the decade.

If that's Colt McCoy's ceiling, then the guy should be no lower than a first round pick. A team like the Vikings (and any other WCO team in need of a QB) should be all over him, if that's his friggin' ceiling.

ThePudge
04-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Colt McCoy is rising on my board. But I'll be watching him struggle tonight vs. Nebraska in the Big XII Championship. I'll be watching for a sustained effort throughout the game, command of the huddle, his velocity on passes 10+, & his ability to keep his eyes downfield when avoiding the rush.

Rosebud
04-18-2010, 03:00 AM

Schaub, really? I can see Big Ben since he's got more rings, even though eli not being ******** off the field makes me like him more, and Favre with his season ending picks I can see, but Schaub? In a pass heavy scheme with the best WR in the league and a **** defense that left him constantly playing catch up. He's not clearly better than Eli, especially if we start to factor in late game clutchness. So even if I give you favre and big ben he's a top ten QB in this league which is much better than I ever expect McCoy to accomplish.

Rosebud
04-18-2010, 03:05 AM
BS. Did you not watch football in the earlier part of the decade? Or do you just not remember how good this guy was, albeit for a brief period of time (when he was throwing to TO in his prime)?

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2000
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2001
http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/qb2002

I mean, Christ, for a brief period the television media was hyping him like he was the second coming of Joe Montana. Jeff Garcia was the Tony Romo of the early portion of the decade.

If that's Colt McCoy's ceiling, then the guy should be no lower than a first round pick. A team like the Vikings (and any other WCO team in need of a QB) should be all over him, if that's his friggin' ceiling.

I guess he was top 10, but that speaks more about the dirth of QB talent in the NFL in the early part of this decade than Garcia's talent. But he, one man's opinion if you think he was a true franchise QB go for it and I hope your team draft McCoy, me, I don't think that highly of either one of these players and would be dissatisfied with either one starting for my team.

Bibby10
04-18-2010, 03:11 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/buck_harvey/79472527.html

Archie Manning compares Colt to a bigger, strong Drew Brees. If you say any QB's name in the same sentence as Drew Brees, then he as GREAT potential. I could possibly seeing the 49ers or the Browns going with Colt in the 2nd round. I dont think that Alex Smith is the answer for the 49ers and with all the weapons they have, Colts field vision can pick out those big weapons that they have and get them the ball. The Browns could pick him to groom a year or two under Delhommes belt. Look at the progress that Rodgers made sittin on the bench for a few years behind Favre, instead of being thrown to the wolves. I think he will be a good top 15 possibly top 10 QB in the league in a couple of years

Paranoidmoonduck
04-18-2010, 03:28 AM
Colt McCoy is rising on my board. But I'll be watching him struggle tonight vs. Nebraska in the Big XII Championship. I'll be watching for a sustained effort throughout the game, command of the huddle, his velocity on passes 10+, & his ability to keep his eyes downfield when avoiding the rush.

I'm interested to hear what you think. Honestly, I didn't think the game he had against Nebraska was all that terrible. If you watch that game, the entire defense showed up, especially in the secondary. They're coverage is what allowed Suh enough time to chase McCoy down. I think McCoy did a good job of keeping his eyes upfield, but that he was far too unwilling to throw the ball away (definitely the easier problem to fix).

Bibby10
04-18-2010, 03:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZLxsxmBSc

This is the only thing that scared me about Colt, was that with 10 seconds left, instead of just spiking it, it opted to try and make a play. He almost got sacked, and what happends if he dropped the ball when that happend and Nebraska recover? GAME OVER. I just felt that he needed to be more responsible with the ball and just spike it.

Sniper
01-22-2011, 02:50 PM
Because he is.

JaxJag_1
01-22-2011, 02:55 PM
Because he is.

He's an NFL back-up.

bucfan12
01-22-2011, 03:51 PM
He will only be an average starter at best. He won't be that guy that will put up points on the offense. He won't threaten anyone when it comes to stretching the field. However, he won't turn it over and he can move the chains. Will be successful if the pieces around in are good (ex: strong running game and a defense that keeps games close so the offense doesn't need to score a lot because they wont).

87Canes
01-22-2011, 03:52 PM
Colt McCoy will be as good as Tim Couch

keylime_5
01-22-2011, 03:56 PM
I don't think there's anyway to know for sure. He did way better as a rookie in Cleveland than anyone could have imagined. I think he'll at worst be a really good backup QB after what we saw he can do as a rookie. He certainly has shown that he can potentially be a pro bowl type franchise QB though in the mold of Drew Brees if he builds on things like his deep ball and keeps developing properly. He's in the right offense for him to succeed if he keeps working hard and gets more talent around him.

bucfan12
01-22-2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think there's anyway to know for sure. He did way better as a rookie in Cleveland than anyone could have imagined. I think he'll at worst be a really good backup QB after what we saw he can do as a rookie. He certainly has shown that he can potentially be a pro bowl type franchise QB though in the mold of Drew Brees if he builds on things like his deep ball and keeps developing properly. He's in the right offense for him to succeed if he keeps working hard and gets more talent around him.

WOW I wouldn't go that far. He could be a decent/average starter in this league but he doesn't have a lot of physical tools to become a franchise/elite/pro bowl type QB. He doesn't have the arm strength of Drew Brees and he will never be that type of QB that will be able to go deep on a secondary and stretch the field. The Jeff Garcia comparison is perfect as he is a west coast QB that will throw 13-15 tds with 5-7 int's a year.

Tom Servo
01-24-2011, 11:58 AM
Lookin back on the list BaLLin posted 9 months ago I'd take Colt over half of those guys. Kid can play and if he maxes out as a Jeff Garcia clone I'll take it.

GoRavens
01-24-2011, 07:15 PM
end this thread now.
Colt McCoy is the rebirth of of Jeff Garcia.
A productive NFL QB, game over, go to bed.

Texas Homer
01-25-2011, 12:12 AM
I thought that Colt played pretty well last season, especially considering that he was a Rookie.

Day One Pick
01-25-2011, 05:53 AM
I said it last year and I'll say it now, McCoy is Chad Pennington with a little more athletic ability, a better college resume, and more of an "it" factor. Funny how I got blasted here for ranking him ahead of Jimmy Clausen and giving him a late 1st round grade.

keylime_5
01-25-2011, 10:18 AM
Considering a lot of NFL people think he can definitely possibly (my favorite word combination) be a franchise QB I think it's safe to say it's plausible. I'm not saying he will be, but he has shown the beginnings of potentially being that guy. I think he'll be somewhere between a Garcia and Brees, but he has the potential to develop into a Brees type. Brees' arm got better as his career went on and his deep ball got better.