PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Mallett is staying at Arkansas

boknows34
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM
First Locker now Mallett. The QB Class of 2011 got even better.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/08/mallett.ap/index.html

SickwithIt1010
01-08-2010, 02:21 PM
good choice, i think it would have been a terrible mistake if Mallet had gone, Hes got terrible mechanics.

prock
01-08-2010, 02:24 PM
i think its a mistake not to come out. the quarterback class is so weak this year, he could have been a very high pick. oh well.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-08-2010, 02:25 PM
I have similar feelings about this as I did with Locker. As a player he can get better, as a prospects he can get better, but I'm not sure his draft spot can get much better. For Locker it was more pronounced, but Mallett probably could have gotten consideration for #1 overall if he had a good offseason.

MNRunLeft
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
I would have loved to see him come out and fall to the Vikings at the bottom of round 1. Loads of talent, though he'd need some time to develop. In all likelihood he wouldn't have fallen that far in this weak QB draft.

RealityCheck
01-08-2010, 02:30 PM
Is it the right choice? We will never know.

prock
01-08-2010, 02:34 PM
I would have loved to see him come out and fall to the Vikings at the bottom of round 1. Loads of talent, though he'd need some time to develop. In all likelihood he wouldn't have fallen that far in this weak QB draft.

for one, i agree he wouldnt have fallen to us. number two, you go to sju? thats sick!

Flyboy
01-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Locker and now Mallett?! :( This makes me very sadface.

descendency
01-08-2010, 02:40 PM
The QB class is now Clausen, Shoulder Surgery, Bad Mechanics Superman, and a few water-pistols.

Dan LeFevour for the surprise pick...

RealityCheck
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
The QB class is now Clausen, Shoulder Surgery, Bad Mechanics Superman, and a few water-pistols.

Dan LeFevour for the surprise pick...
You forgot I'm Not An Offensive Tackle, I Was a Backup Last Year and I Got Injured in the Title Game.

descendency
01-08-2010, 02:43 PM
You forgot I'm Not An Offensive Tackle, I Was a Backup Last Year and I Got Injured in the Title Game.

Who?, Who?, and Water-Pistol 45.

What's sad is I had Jevan Snead second coming into the year because I thought he would improve like he did last year... and now he's not even near the top of this weak class...

RaiderNation
01-08-2010, 02:45 PM
I bet if he had a good bowl game he would have declared

Babylon
01-08-2010, 02:52 PM
First Locker now Mallett. The QB Class of 2011 got even better.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/ncaa/01/08/mallett.ap/index.html

I'm eager to see how dumb this guy is percieved to be for going back or maybe that was just Jake Locker being dumb.

I think Mallett probably would have rode the wave of a weak senior class to find himself going in the top dozen or so picks. I think his arm and mechanics are fine (slight hitch no big deal) but he should improve with a strong year in 2010 and challenge Locker for the number one QB.

Michigan
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
I dont get why he decided to stay. He had a good chance to be the #1 QB this year and he's never really cared about his academics. With the rookie cap coming this may cost him a lot of money...

RealityCheck
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
This is kind of off-topic, but I laughed at the irony:

http://i45.tinypic.com/34huc0w.jpg

CC.SD
01-08-2010, 03:03 PM
Jamarcus Russell 2

Babylon
01-08-2010, 03:06 PM
Jamarcus Russell 2

Without the extra 50 lbs JR is carrying around.

StorminNorman
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
And with a brain.

TheRoo
01-08-2010, 07:56 PM
They interviewed Mallet on CFB live today, he sounds like his IQ is comparable to JR.

JaxJag_1
01-08-2010, 08:12 PM
JaMarcus Russell is a very good comparison at this point for Mallett.

Both are or were SEC QBs. Both tall with huge arms and some mobility and lack any kind of consistent accuracy and both have maturity issues.

Until Mallett grows up and learns to be accurate I don't see him as an NFL QB.

ThePudge
01-08-2010, 09:39 PM
good choice, i think it would have been a terrible mistake if Mallet had gone, Hes got terrible mechanics.

Which of mechanics do you find terrible?

descendency
01-08-2010, 09:57 PM
JaMarcus Russell is a very good comparison at this point for Mallett.

Both are or were SEC QBs. Both tall with huge arms and some mobility and lack any kind of consistent accuracy and both have maturity issues.

Until Mallett grows up and learns to be accurate I don't see him as an NFL QB.

Except Russell's problems are mainly work ethic. I mean, he showed up to spring workouts at over 300 pounds according to many reports.

So I don't know you can imply what you are implying, legitimately.

TACKLE
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Which of mechanics do you find terrible?

His footwork is a little sloppy but other than that I don't see any glaring mechanical problems.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Good, he has a lot of growing up to do. (check out ANY interview of him)

SwagU
01-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Good this means Al has no shot at drafting him unless he trades for a 1st next year. He is J-Roc 2.0 and no way I want my Raiders making that mistake twice. It is the better decision for Mallett any ways, he needs more time to develop his skills and work on his game in college.

Malaka
01-10-2010, 07:10 PM
Good this means Al has no shot at drafting him unless he trades for a 1st next year. He is J-Roc 2.0 and no way I want my Raiders making that mistake twice. It is the better decision for Mallett any ways, he needs more time to develop his skills and work on his game in college.

Just because he is tall and has a big arm doesn't mean he is J-Roc, have you ever heard JaMarcus talk? He is borderline ********. I have a boner for the 2011 NFL Draft, I have no idea who to choose Locker or Mallett, I am salivating thinking about it. Two big armed QBs with loads of potential, and FYI Jake Locker supposedly runs a 4.5 =O.

RaiderNation
01-10-2010, 07:18 PM
Just because he is tall and has a big arm doesn't mean he is J-Roc, have you ever heard JaMarcus talk? He is borderline ********. I have a boner for the 2011 NFL Draft, I have no idea who to choose Locker or Mallett, I am salivating thinking about it. Two big armed QBs with loads of potential, and FYI Jake Locker supposedly runs a 4.5 =O.

At this point it has to be Locker all the way. Mallett's footwork looks like a jv player in high school. Add in Locker has athleticism over him and he should be the #1 or 2 pick next year with outa doubt.

Many have said Mallett seems not all there upstairs too so thats another thing have in common

Malaka
01-10-2010, 07:24 PM
At this point it has to be Locker all the way. Mallett's footwork looks like a jv player in high school. Add in Locker has athleticism over him and he should be the #1 or 2 pick next year with outa doubt.

Many have said Mallett seems not all there upstairs too so thats another thing have in common

I still think Locker is a "loser", not really a winning pedigree over in Washington, granted thats not his fault, and I also think Petrino will fix up Mallett's mechanics. I am undecided. We'll see this NCAA season.

I've heard Mallett talk on television, and I have heard JaMarcus talk on television... he is not as bad as Russell but I don't doubt the questions on his intelligence.

ericzedwards
01-10-2010, 08:27 PM
Mallett's not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I'm not ready to crown him the next Jamarcus Russell just yet. Russell shows no discipline, takes no responsibility for his shortcomings, and seems completely apathetic towards playing better football. I just feel bad for Oakland fans that have to watch Al Davis continually run the Raiders into the ground and probably fire good coaches who managed to win games with Charlie Frye and Bruce Gradkowski at QB, all because of his clinically insane belief that Russell can be a good NFL quarterback.

Dark Knight01
01-11-2010, 02:15 AM
Good choices by both Locker and Mallett.

One could argue about Lockers decision, but he figures he is going to get paid well anyway in baseball or football next year regardless. Even though I expect the rookie salary cap to kick in for the top 10 picks in 2011 or something similiar.

The NFL seriously needs to some kind of rookie salary cap to start protecting teams from investing millions of dollars on unproven rookies and paying them more then 5-10 year vets?

Crazy and ridiculous.