PDA

View Full Version : Dolphins, Lions staffs to coach Senior Bowl

Splat
01-08-2010, 05:14 PM
Dolphins, Lions staffs to coach Senior Bowl (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/01/08/dolphins-lions-staffs-to-coach-senior-bowl/)

Contrary to a recent report that the Bucs will coach one of the Senior Bowl squads, the folks running the show have announced that the staffs from the Lions and Dolphins will get the nod.

It's a great opportunity for both teams to get an up-close look at members of the incoming draft class. The assignment usually goes to non-playoff teams with coaching staffs regarded as stable.

"My staff and I are looking forward to coaching in the Senior Bowl," Sparano said in a release. "The Senior Bowl's outstanding track record and history of developing players for the National Football League is well-known and we're excited to have the opportunity to work with these young players in preparation for the next stage of their careers."

The game will be played in Mobile, Alabama on January 30. All practices and the game will be televised by NFL Network.

underscore
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Does a team's staff have the opportunity to say "no thanks" to coaching in the Senior Bowl? Do staffs generally look forward to the game or, despite the chance to see some potential prospects up close, is it an annoyance to the offseason?

Addict
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
wow... maybe we can get a few seniors through the draft at the later stages that don't suck. That'd be pretty amazing.

Splat
01-08-2010, 05:27 PM
I would think any team would love to do it getting to see players in practice is huge.

YotoJets007
01-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Does a team's staff have the opportunity to say "no thanks" to coaching in the Senior Bowl? Do staffs generally look forward to the game or, despite the chance to see some potential prospects up close, is it an annoyance to the offseason?

I doubt it. Pro staffs have to be there coaching senior teams because the game is based on NFL rule without stunt/blitz and few complex offenses.

49ers' then HC Nolan, Bucs' then HC Gruden and Titans' HC got their men from there. Getting to know prospects in person during drills is a good start.