PDA

View Full Version : Could Jake Locker still go Pro?

StorminNorman
01-08-2010, 06:41 PM
If (when?) Pete Carroll leaves USC for Seattle, one of the obvious names that will instantly come to people's head to replace him is Steve Sarkisian.

Since I (and I think most) believe that being with Sarkisian was a big motivator for Locker coming back to school, his loss would be a gigantic disappointment for Locker.

Locker has the most to lose in the Pete Carroll situation. Carroll's hiring will take a few days as minorities have to be interviewed and contracts written up. The USC coaching search will also take some time as coaches have to be vetted and all that jazz. It's very likely the entire situation would go beyond the January 15 deadline.

I am glad I am not in Locker's shoes right now, then again if I were - I would be preparing for the draft already.

RaiderNation
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Sark isnt leaving after one year trust me

eagles6606
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
That would be intresting. If Steve Sarkesian did leave, I think Locker would need to rethink his standing.

yourfavestoner
01-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Jack Del Rio will be the nest coach of the Trojans. Book it.

BaLLiN
01-08-2010, 06:55 PM
if locker declares after something like this, the 2010 draft will be pandemonium

SickwithIt1010
01-08-2010, 07:06 PM

thats definitely an interesting pick, and it wouldnt surprise me one bit. I think if Carrol does end up leaving USC is going to land a big coach.

And i would not rule out Sark at all, sure he just started at U Dub, but im sure USC would be his dream job.

cvv84
01-08-2010, 07:22 PM
Lets be realistic, Bill Cower is going to be the next coach at USC if Carroll leaves.

BaLLiN
01-08-2010, 07:27 PM
Lets be realistic, Bill Cower is going to be the next coach at USC if Carroll leaves.

no no no, its going to be STEVE! he'll make an all white squad

WMD
01-08-2010, 07:42 PM
He should definitely go pro! :)

StorminNorman
01-08-2010, 08:08 PM
Sark isnt leaving after one year trust me

Why?

Thought about this idea earlier and it's great for everyone involved.

It allows USC to hire a homegrown talent who is a quality coach, allows Jack Del Rio to avoid being fired (and probably take his dream job) and allows Jacksonville to avoid paying him 15 million dollars.

Matthew Jones
01-08-2010, 08:17 PM
What if Pete Carroll went to Seattle, Steve S. left to go back to USC (a much more illustrious job than at U of Washington), and that opened the door for Jim Mora Jr. to get his dream job at the U of Washington? That'd be straight out of the Twilight Zone.

Shane P. Hallam
01-08-2010, 08:32 PM
I doubt Steve S. is leaving Washington. MAYBE to go to USC. But, why leave for an NFL job that may not exist in two years (lockout)? Especially as a coordinator?

Babylon
01-08-2010, 09:16 PM
They actually had a Sarkisian/Locker press conferance at the UW today (coincidental or not) where Locker said he was staying and Sark said he was happy where he was.

ericzedwards
01-08-2010, 09:41 PM
I think it was too much fun for Sark to stick USC with a loss this season to leave UW after one year, especially after the progress they showed. I think he'll stay to finish the job. And I really hope that he does, because for all of the criticisms Locker took for turning down all that guaranteed money to come back for his senior year, I really think it was the right decision.

He's only played one year with a coach that is going to get him pro-ready, and I think he's much better served staying put and growing as a quarterback before some terrible team throws him into the fire as a rookie. Maybe by waiting a year, he'll get lucky and a team that's much better than their record indicates will end up with a top-ten pick (like Eli Manning to the Giants or Big Ben to the Steelers). He's one of my favorite college players, so I really hope it works out for him that way!

StorminNorman
01-08-2010, 09:44 PM
They actually had a Sarkisian/Locker press conferance at the UW today (coincidental or not) where Locker said he was staying and Sark said he was happy where he was.

Nick Saban wasn't coaching Alabama either.

I think it was too much fun for Sark to stick USC with a loss this season to leave UW after one year, especially after the progress they showed. I think he'll stay to finish the job. And I really hope that he does, because for all of the criticisms Locker took for turning down all that guaranteed money to come back for his senior year, I really think it was the right decision.

Washington will NEVER be as good of a job as USC, nor will they EVER be able to pay as much as USC. If USC wants Sarkisian, I highly doubt he is going to turn down a raise and a better job for some reason as "wanting to finish the job" in Washington.

SickwithIt1010
01-09-2010, 12:14 AM
Washington will NEVER be as good of a job as USC, nor will they EVER be able to pay as much as USC. If USC wants Sarkisian, I highly doubt he is going to turn down a raise and a better job for some reason as "wanting to finish the job" in Washington.

I agree with this word for word.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2010, 12:19 AM
I agree with this word for word.

So do I. He'll grab the USC job in a second if it is offered and Locker will be stuck on a losing team if he stays at Washington so he might well change his mind and leave.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM

H.mmm, make 15 million by staying with Jacksonville or about 2.5 million for going to USC. Not very likely to happen.

StorminNorman
01-09-2010, 12:32 AM
H.mmm, make 15 million by staying with Jacksonville or about 2.5 million for going to USC. Not very likely to happen.

Jack Del Rio LOVES USC and has to be miserable in Jacksonville.

How depressing is it to coach a team that no one cares about?

yourfavestoner
01-10-2010, 09:25 PM

He's not scheduled to make $15 million all in one season. His average per year salary would at USC would likely be comparable to the $3-4 million he makes a year in Jacksonville.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 01:20 AM
I would much rather steal Sark back then bring in somebody like Del Rio or Al Groh.

gpngc
01-11-2010, 01:28 AM
Trivia question... Props to anyone who can remember (I can't)...

In the past four or five years, there was at least one underclassman that at this stage of the process said he was going back to school. Then on deadline day- he changed his mind and declared for the draft.

Who was he?

I guess it I shouldn't call it trivia when I don't know the answer but does anyone remember?

Bald_81
01-11-2010, 01:46 AM
Trivia question... Props to anyone who can remember (I can't)...

In the past four or five years, there was at least one underclassman that at this stage of the process said he was going back to school. Then on deadline day- he changed his mind and declared for the draft.

Who was he?

I guess it I shouldn't call it trivia when I don't know the answer but does anyone remember?

The only player I can think of right now is Vince Young. The problem is, did any of those players have a press conference announcing to the world he was returning and then declare? I hope and pray you are right because the Rams need Jake Locker to declare in the worst way.

DiG
01-11-2010, 08:49 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4814999

Mike Riley agrees to a 3 year extension with Oregon State. You gotta think USC would at a minimum offer Sark some legitimate cash to consider coming back.

RealityCheck
01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
I wonder if Carroll would draft Locker.

Plus, there's only 4 days before the deadline, so... Not gonna happen.

Babylon
01-11-2010, 11:05 AM
I wonder if Carroll would draft Locker.

Plus, there's only 4 days before the deadline, so... Not gonna happen.

Woud be interesting this year because Pete is on record (with Sanchez) about his position on drafting underclassmen. Next year he'll probably get the chance, he has spoken highly of Locker.

Seanhawk
01-11-2010, 11:33 AM
Woud be interesting this year because Pete is on record (with Sanchez) about his position on drafting underclassmen. Next year he'll probably get the chance, he has spoken highly of Locker.

But how much of that was because he was losing his QB I wonder?