PDA

View Full Version : Put together a package for Briggs

Booger
03-12-2007, 08:34 PM
It looks like Briggs may be done with the Bears:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6562918

He is looking for Urlacher type money, and in my opinion, if you want a star player, you have to pay to get one. Briggs could take over for Brooks, moving Brooks to SAM, and maybe even extending his career a year or two in the process.

What would you guys give up for Briggs? How about Michael Clayton and our 2a draft pick? Would that be enough?

Beans
03-12-2007, 08:44 PM
2a alone would cut it I think

etk
03-12-2007, 08:48 PM
I would give up nothing for him unless Brooks retired or we traded Nece in the package to lower the cost.

Chucky
03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
i think he would be a good pickup of our 2a pic, he is a star player

Beans
03-12-2007, 09:05 PM
But I'd rather have Rufus Alexander or even Poz.

etk
03-12-2007, 09:21 PM

Rufus Alexander is overrated and not as fast as expected.

-black
03-12-2007, 09:22 PM
what a slap in the face of Brooks to even think we would consider moving him at this stage in his career and asking him to play a new position....no, Brooks is our weakside LB until he retires

Caddy
03-12-2007, 09:47 PM

You have got to be kidding.. Briggs is already a proven star in the league.. However I don't think he will come at an affordable price so I don't know if it would be the best move.

Chucky
03-12-2007, 09:49 PM
i highly doubt it happens

etk
03-12-2007, 09:56 PM
The Giants have shown in the past that they love going after proven LBs from other teams......they need one even more badly now.

Booger
03-12-2007, 10:00 PM
what a slap in the face of Brooks to even think we would consider moving him at this stage in his career and asking him to play a new position....no, Brooks is our weakside LB until he retires

Slap in the face? You have to be kidding. Brooks is the consumate professional, and would welcome any move that would improve the team.

Caddy
03-12-2007, 10:15 PM
Slap in the face? You have to be kidding. Brooks is the consumate professional, and would welcome any move that would improve the team.

I have to agree with Booger on this one

toonsterwu
03-12-2007, 10:19 PM
If you guys did get Briggs, I actually think he might slide to the middle first (he was a mike in college). Now what might it take? Certainly, the franchise asking price isn't going to be met (2 1sts). I'm not sure Angelo would take just a 2nd alone. My bet would be something like 2a and maybe a 2nd rounder next year if you guys really did pursue it. Just a guess.

etk
03-12-2007, 11:26 PM
If Briggs moved to Mike, Ruud would have to move to SLB again. Ruud has to be on the field as much as possible this year.

Caddy
03-12-2007, 11:27 PM
SLB again?

Beans
03-13-2007, 09:04 AM
You have got to be kidding.. Briggs is already a proven star in the league.. However I don't think he will come at an affordable price so I don't know if it would be the best move.

Well, I base that on the fact the Briggs would cost more.

-black
03-13-2007, 10:32 AM
I have to agree with Booger on this one

and he has already done whatever it takes to help this team/franchise. Renegotiating his contract, being a leader, ect. But at this point in his career, I gurentee he will not switch positions just to add a LB like Briggs. Ask Briggs to move

"well Derrick, we understand you have made ____ number of Pro Bowls and won the DMVP award at the WLB position. But, we're bringing in a big time free agent, and well, that is his position so we're wondering can you move to the other side. We're just going to have to change your assignments and now you are assigned to cover TE's. Oh and he wants the number 55 also because that is his number, so can you take this number 51 jersey while your at it...thanks Mr. Brooks"

etk
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
SLB again?

When Nece was injured he played SLB while Quarles played middle

Booger
03-13-2007, 11:20 AM
and he has already done whatever it takes to help this team/franchise. Renegotiating his contract, being a leader, ect. But at this point in his career, I gurentee he will not switch positions just to add a LB like Briggs. Ask Briggs to move

"well Derrick, we understand you have made ____ number of Pro Bowls and won the DMVP award at the WLB position. But, we're bringing in a big time free agent, and well, that is his position so we're wondering can you move to the other side. We're just going to have to change your assignments and now you are assigned to cover TE's. Oh and he wants the number 55 also because that is his number, so can you take this number 51 jersey while your at it...thanks Mr. Brooks"

First of all, nobody said anything about #55. I dont think that anybody will ever wear #55 again for the Bucs.

You gurantee that Brooks wouldnt change positions? We wouldnt be asking him to change to safety, moving him to SAM would lessen the sideline to sideline responsibilities, and likely extend his playing career.

But I can understand not wanting to insult Brooks, and would run it by him before making such a move. In my opinion, Brooks is a competitor, and would be thrilled to add a player the caliber of Briggs to the defense.

etk
03-13-2007, 11:26 AM
If we added Briggs he would play SAM. Derrick Brooks still trains and works like none other to maintain his speed and stay in condition for the season. I would put my money on him to win a race with Briggs, and why would we want to switch him to SAM and have 2 LBs playing new positions? Briggs would have to adjust to our defense, so it might as well be at SAM, so Brooks can stay where he has been playing for almost 12 years.

Booger
03-13-2007, 11:32 AM
If we added Briggs he would play SAM. Derrick Brooks still trains and works like none other to maintain his speed and stay in condition for the season. I would put my money on him to win a race with Briggs, and why would we want to switch him to SAM and have 2 LBs playing new positions? Briggs would have to adjust to our defense, so it might as well be at SAM, so Brooks can stay where he has been playing for almost 12 years.

Fair enough, but Brooks has clearly lost a step, and at this point in his career, is not in the same class as Briggs.

Why wouldnt you want the best player playing at the marquee LB spot?

Caddy
03-13-2007, 03:16 PM
Fair enough, but Brooks has clearly lost a step, and at this point in his career, is not in the same class as Briggs.

Why wouldnt you want the best player playing at the marquee LB spot?

It is an intriguing argument with both sides presenting good information. But I don't think we are going to have to worry about it because I doubt we are going to trade for Briggs.

etk
03-13-2007, 03:35 PM
Briggs seems like a prick of a guy anyway, really not a Buccaneers kind of guy.

Bucsfan
03-15-2007, 11:25 AM
I would love to pick this guy up, I would give them Nece + our 2a pick

or our 2b pick + a 08 2nd rounder

Caddy
03-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Would you want him for Urlacher money though? Probably not

Bucs4242
03-16-2007, 02:43 AM
I agree bring Briggs in.

Give Chicago 2a this year, plus a 2nd and 4th next year

ChefMike
03-20-2007, 02:27 PM

Lets not go there ... Briggs is a great LB. He to me has a lot of Joey Porter in him which surrounded by the correct players only makes him better. Briggs and Brooks would be one hell of a LB wrecking crew...

Caddy
03-20-2007, 03:14 PM
Briggs is good, but if he would break the bank and we cannot simply afford that.