PDA

View Full Version : Taylor Mays to Seattle a lock?

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 06:28 AM
When Carroll is announced as the Seattle Seahawks HC, this has got to be the lock of the century. Thoughts?

FUNBUNCHER
01-09-2010, 07:53 AM
I heard he's going to make a play for Bush and Leinart too,( not gonna happen!).

I don't think Carroll's stint in Seattle will be a winning one. He may have overrated his coaching ability because he's had top 5 recruiting classes year after year.
If Carroll snuck out of town like a rat before the NCAA dropped the hammer on USC, I will lose all respect for what he built at Southern Cal.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 09:47 AM
I heard he's going to make a play for Bush and Leinart too,( not gonna happen!).

I don't think Carroll's stint in Seattle will be a winning one. He may have overrated his coaching ability because he's had top 5 recruiting classes year after year.
If Carroll snuck out of town like a rat before the NCAA dropped the hammer on USC, I will lose all respect for what he built at Southern Cal.
There's another thread to voice that opinion. In the NFL forum.

But it definitely will be interesting when he passes up on his former players in the draft.

kumar3112
01-09-2010, 09:56 AM
That's going into some interesting territory there D-Unit. It kind of reminded me of Jimmy Johnson getting to coach Michael Irvin with the Cowboys.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
That's going into some interesting territory there D-Unit. It kind of reminded me of Jimmy Johnson getting to coach Michael Irvin with the Cowboys.
Jimmy even got Jerry to use a supplemental first on QB Steve Walsh. There was also #1 overall pick, Russell Maryland and a bunch of others. That pipeline was soooo sweet. It was the key to the Cowboys SB runs.

lance uppercut
01-09-2010, 10:02 AM
When Carroll is announced as the Seattle Seahawks HC, this has got to be the lock of the century. Thoughts?

man I hope so.

phlysac
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm sure Mays would love to come home, as well.

nepg
01-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I really don't think Pete will draft players soley based on them being former players of his. If the right situation arises, then of course... But Mays that high isn't that likely, imo.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I really don't think Pete will draft players soley based on them being former players of his. If the right situation arises, then of course... But Mays that high isn't that likely, imo.
Sure, he won't only draft USC players, but I think there will be a strong correlation. If he decides not to, then that certainly will make things interesting. You could be right.

RealityCheck
01-09-2010, 10:22 AM
IMO there's a 99.5% chance Mays will play in the NFC West. Don't know the team, though.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-09-2010, 10:26 AM
If he fell to the Seahawks second pick in the first round I could see it happening.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 10:28 AM
If he fell to the Seahawks second pick in the first round I could see it happening.
And definitely not the first one?

keylime_5
01-09-2010, 10:55 AM
he's not gonna be the 6th overall pick. if he was i would be shocked.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-09-2010, 11:05 AM
And definitely not the first one?

If I were a Seahawks fan and we drafted Mays at 6, I would be disappointed.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:13 AM
If I were a Seahawks fan and we drafted Mays at 6, I would be disappointed.
But wouldn't you understand that it's just apart of having Carroll as your HC? Unless you're disappointed that Carroll is the HC as well...

DoWnThEfiElD
01-09-2010, 11:18 AM
But wouldn't you understand that it's just apart of having Carroll as your HC? Unless you're disappointed that Carroll is the HC as well...

Well I would just say that there are better players there and I hope Pete would be unbiased and recognize that, instead of going for his homeboy.

Sniper
01-09-2010, 11:20 AM
First thing I thought of.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Well I would just say that there are better players there and I hope Pete would be unbiased and recognize that, instead of going for his homeboy.
Take Pete out of the picture and put in any HC's name in there. They all go for players they've had success with in the past. From Bill Parcells down. It's all about trust. Pete knows what Taylor is about and knows how to use him and knows that Taylor will understand what to do in his system. The draft is a guessing game for most. When you take the guessing part out of it, it makes your decision a lot easier.

Primetime21
01-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Pete is surely not going to pick Mays just for being his homeboy. Big Balls Pete will give an unbiased and extremely insightful opinion on all USC players. I for one would love to see Griffin, or Mays come to the Hawks and maybe even sneak McKnight/Williams in the 2nd. I am really excited to see how Pete approaches the situation if he sees it as a rebuilding or just one good off season away from truly competing.

keylime_5
what I'm interested in seeing is if Carroll drafts a guy like Jimmy Clausen in round one or Golden Tate in round two. Carroll picking a ND guy over USC players?!?!?!?!

DoWnThEfiElD
Take Pete out of the picture and put in any HC's name in there. They all go for players they've had success with in the past. From Bill Parcells down. It's all about trust. Pete knows what Taylor is about and knows how to use him and knows that Taylor will understand what to do in his system. The draft is a guessing game for most. When you take the guessing part out of it, it makes your decision a lot easier.

I understand, I just think its a huge reach for Mays. I think he may still be there when their second pick in the first round comes along. I hope he isn't going to go for Bush and Leinart just because he had success with them too. Parcells took guys who had success in the NFL, it is just different to me going from college to pros.

*I'm not a Mays fan.

DT35
01-09-2010, 11:30 AM
1a) Sam Bradford
1b) Taylor Mays
2) Charlie Brown/Eversen Griffin
Trade into the third and take Joe McKnight.

Very possible scenerio that would make me laugh quite hardily. Isn't it wierd how there is a player from USC at a position of need at where the Seahawks will be picking in every round? Bradfords in there just because I want Bradford.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:30 AM
I understand, I just think its a huge reach for Mays. I think he may still be there when their second pick in the first round comes along. I hope he isn't going to go for Bush and Leinart just because he had success with them too. Parcells took guys who had success in the NFL, it is just different to me going from college to pros.

*I'm not a Mays fan.
That may be true for you. But that's hardly the case for Pete Carroll.

Sniper
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
what I'm interested in seeing is if Carroll drafts a guy like Jimmy Clausen in round one or Golden Tate in round two. Carroll picking a ND guy over USC players?!?!?!?!

He's not going to NOT pick a player based on where they went to school. If Clausen is there when the 'Hawks pick, they'd be ******** for not taking him.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-09-2010, 11:32 AM
That may be true for you. But that's hardly the case for Pete Carroll.

Ya I understand, but don't you agree he is a reach at 6?

GatorsBullsFan
01-09-2010, 11:33 AM
I could see Him taking Joe McKnight in the 3rd or 4th round...Unless Seattle is really stuck on Forsett being there #1 guy.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Nick Saban never drafted an LSU player in the two years he was with the Dolphins.

Bobby Petrino didn't draft a player from Louisville his year in Atlanta.

I think this is far from a lock. Maybe he will prefer looking at players from his conference, but not specifically from USC.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Probably too early to call it a lock. I dont think he takes Taylor because he likes the guy (maybe he doesnt), he takes him because there is a gaping hole at safety. Mays is also from Seattle so i guess if we're into former players who happen to be from that town we've hit the exacta here.

Taking Mays at #6 may look a little early but if Seattle is looking at their board it appears to me they can fill another huge hole by taking a tackle at #14. The depth at tackle is such that i'll argue the one you get at that pick will turn out just as good as the one you take earlier.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:38 AM
Nick Saban never drafted an LSU player in the two years he was with the Dolphins.

I think this is far from a lock. Maybe he will prefer looking at players from his conference, but not specifically from USC.
Good points. But neither had the full control like Carroll did, so that's something to consider.

DT35
01-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Good points. But neither had the full control like Carroll did, so that's something to consider.

Paul Allen said that Carroll will not have full control.

Razor
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM
Why pick Mays when you can get Earl Thomas? Thomas is going to be a far better player than Mays, and imo he already is. I'm not as high on Mays as most people, since I haven't really seen him do anything special yet. Thomas is imo very close to Berry, although Berry is the clear cut number one safety in this draft and probably a top 5 player regardless of position. Other than that, I agree with mr. Hallam. Of course he's going to look more at players he's familiar with, but he's not going to pick guys based on where they went to college.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 11:43 AM

I think that just means they wont be changing to the red and gold and using the SC marching band.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:44 AM
I know they want to add a GM for checks and balances, but the reports I've read say the final say belongs to Carroll.

If there is limitations to his role, a link or better breakdown on the limitations would be helpful to our forum community.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-09-2010, 11:45 AM
I know they want to add a GM for checks and balances, but the reports I've read say the final say belongs to Carroll.

If there is limitations to his role, a link or better breakdown on the limitations would be helpful to our forum community.

Well I'm pretty sure Carroll is helping pick the new GM, so that is significant power right there.

That was directly from NFL countdown this morning.

gpngc
01-09-2010, 11:46 AM
Why pick Mays when you can get Earl Thomas? Thomas is going to be a far better player than Mays, and imo he already is. I'm not as high on Mays as most people, since I haven't really seen him do anything special yet. Thomas is imo very close to Berry, although Berry is the clear cut number one safety in this draft and probably a top 5 player regardless of position. Other than that, I agree with mr. Hallam. Of course he's going to look more at players he's familiar with, but he's not going to pick guys based on where they went to college.

Thomas is clearly better than Mays.

I doubt the Seahawks take Mays. I hope they don't. But they love being safe and taking Aaron Currys instead of making actual smart moves and taking an impact player so who knows. Hopefully the new regime will not continue this trend.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 11:47 AM
Not just any college. "HIS" college. There's a difference.

But Earl Thomas at 6 would be a shocker too.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Thomas is clearly better than Mays.

I doubt the Seahawks take Mays. I hope they don't. But they love being safe and taking Aaron Currys instead of making actual smart moves and taking an impact player so who knows. Hopefully the new regime will not continue this trend.

I dont see Earl Thomas in the same class as Taylor Mays to tell the truth. Thomas has a nose for the ball but is small and doesnt look like he is going to be much of a factor in the run game, he sort of reminds me of an Eric Weddle. Mays' potential is off the charts. A totally differant athlete to me.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 11:49 AM

Either way, they had a say and were upclose and personal with the players. I'm sure they could have pulled ONE out in the later rounds. Dennis Erikson, same thing in Seattle, no players from Da U. Anyone else have any examples we can try?

Primetime21
01-09-2010, 11:50 AM

Harry Douglass and Bobby Petrino? Maybe it was the next year they drafted him.

I think it is pretty stupid to think that Carroll is going to give any USC players more credit than they deserve. He knows his responsibilities are to the Seahawks, not his former players.

cvv84
01-09-2010, 11:53 AM
Sure, drafting a safety with coverage concerns is the best way to rebuild your team.

Razor
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM
I dont see Earl Thomas in the same class as Taylor Mays to tell the truth. Thomas has a nose for the ball but is small and doesnt look like he is going to be much of a factor in the run game, he sort of reminds me of an Eric Weddle. Mays' potential is off the charts. A totally differant athlete to me.

Based on potential alone, Mays could be the first player picked in this draft. But he doesn't seem to put it all together on the field, which is a shame. He takes bad angles when tackling, he doesn't make any big plays in the passing game. For me personally, there's just too many questions about him to justify selecting him that high.

gpngc
01-09-2010, 11:54 AM

My thing is impact and splash plays. The offenses in the NFL are so freaking good that teams are going to give up yards and touchdowns. The Seahawks are not going to be a dominant defensive unit giving up 10 ppg any time soon. So why not maximize the chances of making big plays? Mays is a nice player and may very well be more consistent but Thomas can cover and ballhawk with anyone and has unquestionably IMO more upside.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 11:55 AM

I think it is pretty stupid to think that Carroll is going to give any USC players more credit than they deserve. He knows his responsibilities are to the Seahawks, not his former players.

There will be zero loyalty to his former players. He already has Lofa and Lawrence Jackson so they can reminice all they want about La La land. Having said that i think Mays falls into their lap. With the Denver pick they can draft a pile driving tackle and come back with Toby Gerhart (Pete can give him that scholarship this time) and they're on their way.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 11:56 AM
Based on potential alone, Mays could be the first player picked in this draft. But he doesn't seem to put it all together on the field, which is a shame. He takes bad angles when tackling, he doesn't make any big plays in the passing game. For me personally, there's just too many questions about him to justify selecting him that high.

I would rather him at #14 but as i pointed out earlier i think they would risk not getting him and they can get a quality tackle with that Denver pick.

nepg
01-09-2010, 11:58 AM

Didn't Saban draft Travis Daniels?

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Didn't Saban draft Travis Daniels?
And Corey Webster?

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 12:13 PM

I don't think the reason would be out of loyalty either. I think it would be because of trust and experience of going to war together, understanding of the system, understanding of each other.

Primetime21
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM
I don't think the reason would be out of loyalty either. I think it would be because of trust and experience of going to war together, understanding of the system, understanding of each other.

I consider the insight that Pete has as a huge advantage and as long as it stays as unbiased as possible I would welcome any Trojan to Qwest Field with open arms. That being said, I agree with Babylon that if Pete wants to talk about the glory days at SC he can fully indulge himself with Jackson and Tatupu.

diabsoule
01-09-2010, 12:20 PM

The Saints are ready to make a deal! Let's get it done!

diabsoule
01-09-2010, 12:22 PM

He did sign a couple LSU players like P Donnie Jones, S Jack Hunt, CB Travis Daniels and others I can't remember.

And Corey Webster?

Webster was drafted in Round 2 in 2005 by the Giants and has played with them every since.

Either way, they had a say and were upclose and personal with the players. I'm sure they could have pulled ONE out in the later rounds. Dennis Erikson, same thing in Seattle, no players from Da U. Anyone else have any examples we can try?

Steve Spurrier pulled in a several former Florida players during his tenure with the Redskins. In 2003 draft, Spurrier and the Redskins drafted WR Taylor Jacobs from UF.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 12:25 PM
He did sign a couple LSU players like P Donnie Jones, S Jack Hunt, CB Travis Daniels and others I can't remember.

Webster was drafted in Round 2 in 2005 by the Giants and has played with them every since.
Actually it was Daniels that I was thinking of. My mistake. Thanks for the refresher.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 12:30 PM

Steve Spurrier pulled in a several former Florida players during his tenure with the Redskins. In 2003 draft, Spurrier and the Redskins drafted WR Taylor Jacobs from UF.

In his first year, 2002, Spurrier didn't take a Florida player. As you noted, his only pick was in 03 in the 2nd round with Jacobs. It seems that these guys don't take their players more often than not.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 12:43 PM
In his first year, 2002, Spurrier didn't take a Florida player. As you noted, his only pick was in 03 in the 2nd round with Jacobs. It seems that these guys don't take their players more often than not.
Again... there's a difference since these guys didn't have the final say on the player acquisitions. Unless I'm wrong... Did they? I don't remember it that way.

But if Carroll is in the same boat and doesn't have much say, then I agree Mays could slip by the Seahawks. Just doesn't seem that is the way it's going to be. I think Carroll is making sure he does have overriding control over the situation there.

Unbiased
01-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Have they already said that PC gets complete control over the draft?

Babylon
01-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Have they already said that PC gets complete control over the draft?

They dont have a GM so he is really the only one there that has control over the draft. If they bring someone else in i find it hard to believe that person is going to have any say over Pete Carroll, 40 Mil lets you buy the groceries.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Again... there's a difference since these guys didn't have the final say on the player acquisitions. Unless I'm wrong... Did they? I don't remember it that way.

But if Carroll is in the same boat and doesn't have much say, then I agree Mays could slip by the Seahawks. Just doesn't seem that is the way it's going to be. I think Carroll is making sure he does have overriding control over the situation there.

No one ever has the final say (IIRC, Spurrier had as much control as Carroll will).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/pete-carroll-might-not-get-everything-he-wants-in-seattle.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LAT_Sports_Blog+%28The+Fabulo us+Forum%29

It looks like Carroll won't be in complete control anyway.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 01:00 PM
No one ever has the final say (IIRC, Spurrier had as much control as Carroll will).

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/sports_blog/2010/01/pete-carroll-might-not-get-everything-he-wants-in-seattle.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+LAT_Sports_Blog+%28The+Fabulo us+Forum%29

It looks like Carroll won't be in complete control anyway.
Spurrier brought Danny Wuerfell and Shane Matthews to Washington. Pretty big deal if you ask me.

That article sounds like speculation at this point. We'll know for sure later. But if Carroll doesn't have final say, then I think his decision was a mistake AND I'll agree that Mays could slip past Seattle very easily.

But to clarify your words... I never meant that he would have "complete control". Only that he would have final say for majority of the decision (probably not all) or make the tipping point decision. Complete control is basically making everyone work for you. We know that a GM will be hired for checks and balances sake. My understanding is that Carroll would have a hand in the hiring and have overruling decision making over the GM.

If not... I totally agree with you. So a lot depends on the truth of the matter on how much control he has.

Ryden
01-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Taylor Mays=Vernon Gholston, all muscle, no brains, total bust.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 02:25 PM

Mays went to one of the better catholic highschools here in Seattle, he isnt a dummy.

FUNBUNCHER
01-09-2010, 02:44 PM

I can't comment on the guy's intellect, but I think the comparison to Gholston is potentially a correct one.

Not to hijack, but if VG played rush end for a traditional 4-3 D, I think he'd be a player.

truth393
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Spurrier brought Danny Wuerfell and Shane Matthews to Washington. Pretty big deal if you ask me.

That article sounds like speculation at this point. We'll know for sure later. But if Carroll doesn't have final say, then I think his decision was a mistake AND I'll agree that Mays could slip past Seattle very easily.

But to clarify your words... I never meant that he would have "complete control". Only that he would have final say for majority of the decision (probably not all) or make the tipping point decision. Complete control is basically making everyone work for you. We know that a GM will be hired for checks and balances sake. My understanding is that Carroll would have a hand in the hiring and have overruling decision making over the GM.

If not... I totally agree with you. So a lot depends on the truth of the matter on how much control he has.

Carroll will have final say on personnel decision, and he'll also be involved in the hiring of the new GM. That's why the Seahawks are paying him all that money.

He has the same deal that Mike Shanahan got from the Redskins.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2010, 03:24 PM

There's a fairly massive difference between bringing in players that know the system you're trying to implement and spending a top 10 pick on a player you've been coaching simply because you're familiar with him.

Carroll is a lot of things, but he's not a public relations idiot. He knows the kind of **** that would stir up. And while Mays would be a good fit at safety for Seattle when Carroll brings his defensive scheme there, the Tampa 2 is already well established in the NFL (unlike Spurrier's offense when he came to Washington). He doesn't really need to bring in the support of players who know what he's about.

Mays will probably be there at the #14 pick, and I imagine Seattle would take a hard look at him there, but he's not a lock. No one ever is.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 03:29 PM
There's a fairly massive difference between bringing in players that know the system you're trying to implement and spending a top 10 pick on a player you've been coaching simply because you're familiar with him.

Carroll is a lot of things, but he's not a public relations idiot. He knows the kind of **** that would stir up. And while Mays would be a good fit at safety for Seattle when Carroll brings his defensive scheme there, the Tampa 2 is already well established in the NFL (unlike Spurrier's offense when he came to Washington). He doesn't really need to bring in the support of players who know what he's about.

Mays will probably be there at the #14 pick, and I imagine Seattle would take a hard look at him there, but he's not a lock. No one ever is.

I agree with your prediction that Mays would be there at #14 for Seattle but here is my thinking. If the Hawks are sitting at 6 and worry someone will take Mays before their next pick they then would take him early and get their choice of several tackles with #14.

On a somewhat related topic i dont think any of the tackles are really seperating themselves from the other, right now i think there are probably 5 players who could go anywhere from 6 thru 20.

Cicero
01-09-2010, 03:31 PM
If we get to pick 6 and Berry and Mays are still there and we take Mays...

Paranoidmoonduck
01-09-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with your prediction that Mays would be there at #14 for Seattle but here is my thinking. If the Hawks are sitting at 6 and worry someone will take Mays before their next pick they then would take him early and get their choice of several tackles with #14.

On a somewhat related topic i dont think any of the tackles are really seperating themselves from the other, right now i think there are probably 5 players who could go anywhere from 6 thru 20.

Yeah, but you have to look at where those tackles would go. There are three or four teams that pick in between Seattle's two picks who I could see drafting an offensive tackle and only one that I can realistically see taking a safety.

Babylon
01-09-2010, 03:33 PM
If we get to pick 6 and Berry and Mays are still there and we take Mays...

I wouldnt have a problem with either. I think Mays can cover more ground with his speed and he might support the run better, i guess i'm tired of seeing out safeties getting steamrolled.

Cicero
01-09-2010, 03:36 PM
I wouldnt have a problem with either. I think Mays can cover more ground with his speed and he might support the run better, i guess i'm tired of seeing out safeties getting steamrolled.

No I didn't fill in the rest because it's hard to put into words how angry I would be haha.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Carroll will have final say on personnel decision, and he'll also be involved in the hiring of the new GM. That's why the Seahawks are paying him all that money.

He has the same deal that Mike Shanahan got from the Redskins.

Incorrect. Reports now that he won't be President or VP

http://tinyurl.com/y9dcqqf

Babylon
01-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Todd lieweki is really the only other person of authority there and he doesnt know much about player personel. Unless they bring someone else in soon it would be up to Pete to figure the draft out. Pretty much all speculation at this point.

D-Unit
01-09-2010, 05:37 PM
Well if Carroll IS NOT in charge of personnel decisions, then the odds of the Seahawks taking Mays significantly diminishes.

Still too many rumors floating around. He might not even take the job. LOL.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
01-09-2010, 09:55 PM
but he's not a lock. No one ever is.

Except for fastest 40 time to Oakland.

DeepThreat
01-09-2010, 11:02 PM
Butch Davis only drafted one Miami player while with the Browns. That was K2.

bigbuc
01-09-2010, 11:33 PM
The fact that we are talking about this is ridicules, just cause the guy played at USC for him doesn't mean he will draft him in the NFL. And if Carroll would be that dumb then the seahawks would be making a big mistake. Carroll is taking over a team that's O line is in shambles, a Qb that's going to be 35 next year and been hurt for the last two years and has overpaid wideouts that aren't game changers at all. That's just on the offensive side of the ball. The only strong points about this team are there linebackers and it's tight end. This is a big time rebuilding job and Mays should be far down there list.

Babylon
01-10-2010, 12:41 AM
The fact that we are talking about this is ridicules, just cause the guy played at USC for him doesn't mean he will draft him in the NFL. And if Carroll would be that dumb then the seahawks would be making a big mistake. Carroll is taking over a team that's O line is in shambles, a Qb that's going to be 35 next year and been hurt for the last two years and has overpaid wideouts that aren't game changers at all. That's just on the offensive side of the ball. The only strong points about this team are there linebackers and it's tight end. This is a big time rebuilding job and Mays should be far down there list.

Safety is right at the top of the needs list. O-line i think can be addressed with pick #14 (and later) and Hasselbeck has one more year and is keeping the seat warm for Jake Locker. The Mays pick isnt a lock but it would make sense, because Pete is there isnt reason not to take the guy.

bigbuc
01-10-2010, 01:30 AM
Safety is right at the top of the needs list. O-line i think can be addressed with pick #14 (and later) and Hasselbeck has one more year and is keeping the seat warm for Jake Locker. The Mays pick isnt a lock but it would make sense, because Pete is there isnt reason not to take the guy.

Who's to say Locker would be there for you next year? And by taking a O linemen at 14 are you saying they should take Mays at 6? What do you guys see in Mays? I know he's 230 and the 4.4 stuff. I could understand taking him at 15th and beyond but this top ten stuff has got to stop.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-10-2010, 01:31 AM
Except for fastest 40 time to Oakland.

Is former East Carolina tailback Chris Johnson a Raider? No?

TheSlinger
01-10-2010, 02:48 AM
Is former East Carolina tailback Chris Johnson a Raider? No?

Good players excluded.

Cicero
01-10-2010, 04:29 AM
Who's to say Locker would be there for you next year? And by taking a O linemen at 14 are you saying they should take Mays at 6? What do you guys see in Mays? I know he's 230 and the 4.4 stuff. I could understand taking him at 15th and beyond but this top ten stuff has got to stop.

Hey you're talking to Babylon not the rest of us. :D I don't want anything to do with Mays with either pick.

GhostDeini
01-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Butch Davis only drafted one Miami player while with the Browns. That was K2.

I remember Butch Davis playing K2 on special teams trying to recover an on-sides kick and totally ruining his rookie season. He also picked William Green out of Boston College over Clinton Portis.

Looking back, Davis leaving Miami was one of the worst career moves you can ever make.

boknows34
01-10-2010, 08:30 AM

As they say: Looks like Tarzan - Plays like Jane.

Seattle definitely need a safety - which is why they'll pass on Mays ;)

truth393
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
Incorrect. Reports now that he won't be President or VP

http://tinyurl.com/y9dcqqf

Chris Mortensen just reported on NFL Countdown that Carroll will have control over personnel decision.

Reminder: They are picking a HC before they sign a GM.

And usually when team go that route, the HC end up with final say on personnel.

Babylon
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
Hey you're talking to Babylon not the rest of us. :D I don't want anything to do with Mays with either pick.

Come on Cicero i thought we were on the same side:( ,i'm actually a critic of Mays from tim to time. I wouldnt say i overlook every fault he has like certain folks in here (D-Unit comes to mind).

I just think the way the game is played Mays will excel at the next level. He's bright, hardworking and his physical attributes are off the charts.

I've said it before i think #14 is about where he should go but with the depth there is this year at OT i think they might be able to take him at #6 and get a tackle next that is equal to the others. (by the way the 4 tackles i would target are (Davis, Okung, Bulaga, Carimi)

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Mays has big time bust potential, I would be very wary of picking him in the 1st round let alone top 10, buyer beware....

Babylon
01-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Mays has big time bust potential, I would be very wary of picking him in the 1st round let alone top 10, buyer beware....

I'd put the buyer beward label on most of these guys. You dont think there is bust risk with Clausen, Okung, Dunlap, Campbell.........i do.

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 12:47 PM
I'd put the buyer beward label on most of these guys. You dont think there is bust risk with Clausen, Okung, Dunlap, Campbell.........i do.

Yea, maybe so, but I just can't get past the fact that this guy started for 4 years and has 2 picks, and you can get a guy like Kyle McCarthy in the 3rd who has like 7 in 2 years of starting, much more value in my opinion. I mean if McCarthy busts, it's a 3rd lost, but if Mays busts that a 10 ten pick, that screws you over cap wise for years.

brasho
01-10-2010, 02:41 PM

Considering Carroll coached him for 4 years and didn't get any production out of him and more or less basically gave Mays the best seat in the house to watch the other 10 Trojan defenders play defense, I think Carroll will want a difference-maker...and he already knows that Mays runs fast, hits hard, takes bad angles, and arrives a second too late in coverage... I'm pretty sure the Seahawks can go 5-11 again with or without him.

HawkeyeFan
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I have no problem with Steven Jackson going through, around, above him.

FUNBUNCHER
01-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Yea, maybe so, but I just can't get past the fact that this guy started for 4 years and has 2 picks, and you can get a guy like Kyle McCarthy in the 3rd who has like 7 in 2 years of starting, much more value in my opinion. I mean if McCarthy busts, it's a 3rd lost, but if Mays busts that a 10 ten pick, that screws you over cap wise for years.

I think there's little chance Mays busts in the pros. At worst, with his athleticism and speed, he should be at least a 10 year starter.

The problem is some team will draft Mays expecting him to be the next Sean Taylor/Troy Polamalu/Adrian Wilson, and I just don't see that type of game in him.

Cicero
01-11-2010, 05:57 AM
Come on Cicero i thought we were on the same side:( ,i'm actually a critic of Mays from tim to time. I wouldnt say i overlook every fault he has like certain folks in here (D-Unit comes to mind).

I just think the way the game is played Mays will excel at the next level. He's bright, hardworking and his physical attributes are off the charts.

I've said it before i think #14 is about where he should go but with the depth there is this year at OT i think they might be able to take him at #6 and get a tackle next that is equal to the others. (by the way the 4 tackles i would target are (Davis, Okung, Bulaga, Carimi)

I'm on the same side as you with most things, but count me out on Taylor Mays. He reminds me too much of a fast version of Roy Williams. I think at pick 6 we end up with either Okung or Berry being the best players on the board and we should take whichever one of them is there. If we get Okung and Mays is still there at 14 I won't necessarily like the pick but I won't be nearly as disappointed. If we get Berry I'm hoping for a LT and if we get Okung I'm hoping for Haden or whichever DE separates himself from the pack,

DeathbyStat
01-11-2010, 09:29 AM
not a lock in the least....but if the guy is there with their second first I could see it

Babylon
01-11-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm on the same side as you with most things, but count me out on Taylor Mays. He reminds me too much of a fast version of Roy Williams. I think at pick 6 we end up with either Okung or Berry being the best players on the board and we should take whichever one of them is there. If we get Okung and Mays is still there at 14 I won't necessarily like the pick but I won't be nearly as disappointed. If we get Berry I'm hoping for a LT and if we get Okung I'm hoping for Haden or whichever DE separates himself from the pack,

No problem. I am not trying to convert anyone in here. In the long term you might be right. The Hawks are so disfunctional right now they could go in several directions and it would be justified. Let's hope Pete and Co. can get it turned around.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 12:15 PM
No problem. I am not trying to convert anyone in here. In the long term you might be right. The Hawks are so disfunctional right now they could go in several directions and it would be justified. Let's hope Pete and Co. can get it turned around.

Just wait, McClain will be the pick. :D

01-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Good players excluded.

Asomugha? He had a damn good 40 yard dash coming out of Cal.

D-Unit
01-11-2010, 01:03 PM

I know he hasn't proven to be a turnover machine, but WAAAAAY too much is made out of that. I think I'm the only one in the world that still believes in Taylor Mays being an outstanding pro. Do I think he'll be Ed Reed? No. Does he have to be in order to receive praise? Aparently the forum thinks so. Too funny. The bashing is too much. Way too much. The funny thing about it is that every person who says he'll be a bust, thinks that they are the first one saying it. LOL. They sound like they're making a dramatic ground breaking statement that hasn't already been said a thousand times before. What will happen if Mays ends up with more INTs than Berry in their rookie season?

I have a feeling A LOT of people will be hiding from this memory of bashing Taylor. All of you guys are going to be embarrassed. Not a single guy here supports the guy except for me.

DiG
01-11-2010, 01:10 PM
I have a feeling A LOT of people will be hiding from this memory of bashing Taylor. All of you guys are going to be embarrassed. Not a single guy here supports the guy except for me.

Theres a big difference IMO between supporting a player and buying into him as a top 10-15 pick. Just because I dont think he belongs in the top 15 doesnt mean that I don't support him. A ton of players in the late first go on to be very good players in the NFL for a very long time. I will root for him in the NFL because its fun to see players with his athleticism excel (unless hes an Eagle, Cowboy, or Giant) but I wouldnt draft him in the top 15 either.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 01:16 PM

That is untrue D, together we stand united against the din.

Babylon
01-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I know he hasn't proven to be a turnover machine, but WAAAAAY too much is made out of that. I think I'm the only one in the world that still believes in Taylor Mays being an outstanding pro. Do I think he'll be Ed Reed? No. Does he have to be in order to receive praise? Aparently the forum thinks so. Too funny. The bashing is too much. Way too much. The funny thing about it is that every person who says he'll be a bust, thinks that they are the first one saying it. LOL. They sound like they're making a dramatic ground breaking statement that hasn't already been said a thousand times before. What will happen if Mays ends up with more INTs than Berry in their rookie season?

I'm trying to make the case for him going #6 so how are you the only one supporting the guy, or do you want to be the only one so you can say i told you so?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-11-2010, 03:12 PM

Erm, what? This isn't the Alamo dude, there are plenty of people who have supported Mays as being a totally fine prospect.

brat316
01-11-2010, 03:25 PM
I support him D, I just feel he would be better of playing back deep.

PACKmanN
01-11-2010, 03:26 PM
Asomugha? He had a damn good 40 yard dash coming out of Cal.

they must have been playing broken telephone.

D-Unit
01-11-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm trying to make the case for him going #6 so how are you the only one supporting the guy, or do you want to be the only one so you can say i told you so?
Me, you and CC.SD!!! We'll take 'em on!

Babylon
01-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Me, you and CC.SD!!! We'll take 'em on!

OK Davy Crockett.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 05:23 PM
OK Davy Crockett.

Dibs on Jim Bowie, I will cut fools.

Babylon
01-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Dibs on Sam Bowie, I will cut fools.

You want in? there is plenty of room on the wall.

And it's Jim Bowie, Sam was the one with the bad knees.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 05:29 PM
You want in? there is plenty of room on the wall.

And it's Jim Bowie, Sam was the one with the bad knees.

I don't know what you're talking about I never make mistakes.

hell yes I want in...the man's great contribution to society was a knife that was really a sword. Plus Taylor is a demon and will prove it in the NFL.

TT Gator
01-12-2010, 06:30 PM

I agree completely. I'd actually go the opposite way and say Carrol will avoid his old players unless it's just so great value that he can't pass. Seattle has the #6 and #14 picks in the Draft. He'd have to reach for Mays at either. Mays got exposed in coverage all year long, he takes bad angles in pursuit, and he doesn't make enuff big plays to justify a Top 15 pick. I honestly think Eric Berry is a lock at #6 if he's on the board. Carrol obviously likes athletic safetys and Berry is 80 times better than Mays in coverage. Even if Berry is gone I think Joe Haden will be the pick. Seattle's defencive backfield was horrible this year so Pete has to address it and a run stuffing Safety won't help in the passing game which is where Seattle struggles. So unless Mays falls to the 2nd round I don't see it happening and if Carrol gets Berry I don't see it happening at all.

Flyboy
01-12-2010, 11:48 PM
I agree completely. I'd actually go the opposite way and say Carrol will avoid his old players unless it's just so great value that he can't pass. Seattle has the #6 and #14 picks in the Draft. He'd have to reach for Mays at either.

I wouldn't really consider Mays a reach at #14...

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 12:17 PM
I wouldn't really consider Mays a reach at #14...
I agree. ...and to those thinking I said he was a lock at #6... I never said that. I think there's a chance of that, so I don't rule it out. But I think Mays the odds are high that he ends up in Seattle.

Oh.. and Pete Carroll does have final say despite what others were lead to believe earlier.

Cicero
01-13-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree. ...and to those thinking I said he was a lock at #6... I never said that. I think there's a chance of that, so I don't rule it out. But I think Mays the odds are high that he ends up in Seattle.

Oh.. and Pete Carroll does have final say despite what others were lead to believe earlier.

I posted in article in the Carroll thread in the NFL section confirming that he does indeed have the final say on all personnel decisions.

MizzouBig12
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
So, Deon Grant and Jordan Babineaux are chopped liver??

CC.SD
01-13-2010, 04:09 PM

Yeah basically. JAGs

summond822
01-13-2010, 04:13 PM

Babineaux is like Mays right now, except without the freakish athleticism and a slightly higher ability to make a big play. So yes, Mays would be an upgrade over him. Grant...I don't even know what to think about Grant anymore...

MizzouBig12
01-13-2010, 04:21 PM
Babineaux is like Mays right now, except without the freakish athleticism and a slightly higher ability to make a big play. So yes, Mays would be an upgrade over him. Grant...I don't even know what to think about Grant anymore...
This probably summarizes my assessment as well. I like Babineaux, he deserves a starting role somewhere (Chiefs?), but Grant? Maybe he's having problems focusing....

Saints-Tigers
01-13-2010, 06:06 PM

I don't really think Mays is a big reach at 6. I don't even really like the word reach unless you are 100% sure a guy would have been there at your next pick, but with Mays' measurables and experience, etc, he's not a lock to be on the board at 14, and I'd say he's likely not to be there....

I dunno, I don't think there is a huge separation in the talent level from after the top 3 guys or so until later on in the first round.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-13-2010, 06:09 PM
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, taking a top 15 guy at #6 isn't an egregious reach any way you slice it. A slight reach, sure, but if Berry is gone and you really want a safety, you could do worse than Mays.

CC.SD
01-13-2010, 08:22 PM
Honestly, in the grand scheme of things, taking a top 15 guy at #6 isn't an egregious reach any way you slice it. A slight reach, sure, but if Berry is gone and you really want a safety, you could do worse than Mays.

I agree with this, mostly because I think the real prime meat of this draft is in that 5-20 range and the difference in talent level is not all that noticeable. What, are they going to get a terrible player at 14 if they decide Taylor is too delicious to possibly miss out on?

Paranoidmoonduck
01-13-2010, 08:29 PM
As it stands, both Oakland and San Francisco are going to take long looks at Mays at their picks and I'm not sure I see him slipping past both to be available at 14.

tEk
01-14-2010, 01:18 AM
That is untrue D, together we stand united against the din.IM a huge mays fan... i cant wait till he shuts this board up come next season.

Babylon
01-14-2010, 11:28 AM

If Seattle sees 3 or 4 tackles on the same level grade wise it makes even more sense.