PDA

View Full Version : T Think Jerome Murphy Can Be the Next Rodgers-Cromartie

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 02:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YheYAaRrRA

this kid reminds me of our (saints) cornerback jabari greer in almost every way.

the absence of jabari greer since the first panthers game knocked the saints D from the ranks of the top 10 defenses in the nfl and is a primary reason for their struggles as of late.

greer is a fast, agressive, willing tackler with ball-skills. he can play off-man, man-press and come up to support the run with force.

watching murphy's footwork, recognition skills, ball skills, pure speed, fluid hips and toughness makes me believe that he will be a first round pick in 3 months.

foozball
01-09-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YheYAaRrRA

this kid reminds me of our (saints) cornerback jabari greer in almost every way.

the absence of jabari greer since the first panthers game knocked the saints D from the ranks of the top 10 defenses in the nfl and is a primary reason for their struggles as of late.

greer is a fast, agressive, willing tackler with ball-skills. he can play off-man, man-press and come up to support the run with force.

watching murphy's footwork, recognition skills, ball skills, pure speed, fluid hips and toughness makes me believe that he will be a first round pick in 3 months.

Maybe you should change the title to "I think that jerome murphy can be the next jabari greer"

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Murphy has been so inconsistent though. Lots of physical skills, but he gets beat easily.

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Murphy has been so inconsistent though. Lots of physical skills, but he gets beat easily.

that was a big knock on rogers-cromartie coming out too, the belief that his enormous skills were in hibernation most of his senior season until the opportunity to increase his draft standing came around at the senior bowl and the combine.

many saints fans, as badly as we needed a corner then did not want him for that very reason.

now many of those concerns have been quieted.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Not really as DRC didn't play major competition.

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Maybe you should change the title to "I think that jerome murphy can be the next jabari greer"

cromartie isn't as aggressive as greer is in run support but greer is not as tall.

i was mostly drawing a parallel to murphy's height and size and pre-draft meteoric ascent to the top of the 2008 cornerback class.

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 03:15 PM
Not really as DRC didn't play major competition.

hey, i was for DRC then.

i'm just saying that saints fans dissected alot of his stats at tenn st. and didn't want him because they thought that his stats didn't jump out at you like aqib talib. they took this to mean that he was wasn't very dominant.

i really like his physicality in run-support because it is just like greer's (70 tackles). greg williams would love to have him take over for randall *** and malcom jenkins (who will likely move to dime or safety in 10').

Jonny
01-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Except that Murphy is terrible and was benched for poor coverage.

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Except that Murphy is terrible and was benched for poor coverage.

alot of things went wrong at USF this year.

we'll see whether he is as "terrible" as you believe at the senior bowl in a couple of weeks.

i for one can't wait.

SchizophrenicBatman
01-09-2010, 05:32 PM

wow that sounds a lot like everyone with the last name cromartie

nofalcons10
01-09-2010, 05:36 PM
wasn't vontae davis benched in 2008 by ron zook?

princefielder28
01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
If you've watched any South Florida game you would know that Murphy is not even close to DRC. Murphy is a roller-coaster ride of a player.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 11:27 PM
wow that sounds a lot like everyone with the last name cromartie

His physical talent is nowhere on par with Antonio, DRC, or Vontae, thus why he isn't even a first two day pick.

TheSlinger
01-10-2010, 12:42 AM
Murphy is a roller-coaster ride of a player.

That sounds like a pretty accurate description of DRC tbh.

fenikz
01-10-2010, 12:52 AM
DRC is far better than people on this board think, bahhhhhhhhhhhh sheep

Cicero
01-10-2010, 01:04 AM
DRC is far better than people on this board think, bahhhhhhhhhhhh sheep

Seahawks fan agrees.

princefielder28
01-10-2010, 09:07 AM
That sounds like a pretty accurate description of DRC tbh.

The fact that DRC is even being mentioned in the same breath as Jerome Murphy is a slap in the face to DRC and an unwarranted compliment to Murphy.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 10:36 AM
so you guys don't see him going in the first round?

his speed and physicality to me has him at least on par with mike jenkins and vontae davis who also were first rounders.

princefielder28
01-10-2010, 10:40 AM

his speed and physicality to me has him at least on par with mike jenkins and vontae davis who also were first rounders.

he'll be a third round pick at the highest based off of potential...there's too much proven talent for Murphy to come even close to the first round

for what it's worth i have Murphy as the #11 CB (#9 senior) right now.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 10:53 AM
he'll be a third round pick at the highest based off of potential...there's too much proven talent for Murphy to come even close to the first round

for what it's worth i have Murphy as the #11 CB (#9 senior) right now.

who are your top corners then if i may ask?

i like to hear the view of others on top corners. perhaps i was just so intrigued by the fact that murphy seems to fit the saints' system very well that i may have gotten a little giddy there.

there are off-man corners, man-press corners, and zone corners and a few who can do all three well like jabari greer because of athleticism.

i think that we all may be a little biased by the defensive systems that our teams' are already successful at.

princefielder28
01-10-2010, 11:00 AM
who are your top corners then if i may ask?

i like to hear the view of others on top corners. perhaps i was just so intrigued by the fact that murphy seems to fit the saints' system very well that i may have gotten a little giddy there.

there are off-man corners, man-press corners, and zone corners and a few who can do all three well like jabari greer because of athleticism.

i think that we all may be a little biased by the defensive systems that our teams' are already successful at.

1. Joe Haden* :: Florida
2. Donovan Warren* :: Michigan
3. Perrish Cox :: Oklahoma State
4. Alterraun Verner :: UCLA
5. Patrick Robinson :: Florida State
6. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah :: Indiana(PA)
7. Kyle Wilson :: Boise State
8. Syd’Quan Thompson :: California
9. Devin McCourty :: Rutgers
10. Brandon Ghee :: Wake Forest
11. Jerome Murphy :: South Florida

Like you mentioned the system obviously plays a role in where some of these corners will be taken and teams like the Saints would value a player like Murphy far more than someone like Thompson.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 11:34 AM
1. Joe Haden* :: Florida
2. Donovan Warren* :: Michigan
3. Perrish Cox :: Oklahoma State
4. Alterraun Verner :: UCLA
5. Patrick Robinson :: Florida State
6. Akwasi Owusu-Ansah :: Indiana(PA)
7. Kyle Wilson :: Boise State
8. Syd’Quan Thompson :: California
9. Devin McCourty :: Rutgers
10. Brandon Ghee :: Wake Forest
11. Jerome Murphy :: South Florida

Like you mentioned the system obviously plays a role in where some of these corners will be taken and teams like the Saints would value a player like Murphy far more than someone like Thompson.

i can definitely see how you came up with that list.

verner is interesting though. how well do you think he'll run at the combine? he seems like more of a zone guy like aquib talib. he reads and baits quarterbacks really well.

thanks for bringing my attention to sydquan thompson too.

he's alot like greer also.

ghee doesn't appear to make very many tackles nor INTs however.
mccourty's twin brother was a 6th rounder last year. i'm looking for more film on them now.

everyone seems to love this ansah too but i cant seem to find much film on him either. how do you think he stacks up against derek cox of the jaguars from william and mary's 2009?

princefielder28
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
i can definitely see how you came up with that list.

verner is interesting though. how well do you think he'll run at the combine? he seems like more of a zone guy like aquib talib. he reads and baits quarterbacks really well.

thanks for bringing my attention to sydquan thompson too.

he's alot like greer also.

ghee doesn't appear to make very many tackles nor INTs however.
mccourty's twin brother was a 6th rounder last year. i'm looking for more film on them now.

everyone seems to love this ansah too but i cant seem to find much film on him either. how do you think he stacks up against derek cox of the jaguars from william and mary's 2009?

I think Verner will come in around 4.5 but if it starts to creep up towards 4.6 then I think his stock will take a hit.

I think Cox and Akwasi are actually pretty similar prospects IMO...each has good size, not outstanding speed nut enough of it and I think Akwasi's ball skills are a bit better and that puts his stock up higher...Cox didn't have the hype behind him but Cox proved this season that the Jags knew what they were doing when they took him in the third round.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I think Verner will come in around 4.5 but if it starts to creep up towards 4.6 then I think his stock will take a hit.

I think Cox and Akwasi are actually pretty similar prospects IMO...each has good size, not outstanding speed nut enough of it and I think Akwasi's ball skills are a bit better and that puts his stock up higher...Cox didn't have the hype behind him but Cox proved this season that the Jags knew what they were doing when they took him in the third round.

if akwasi sniffs a 4.3 then the raiders will likely snatch him up in the top ten. ;)

this was a scouting report on cox from a jags fan before the season.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2009/9/9/1023094/jaguars-secondary-grading-derek-cox

it's great to have size and speed. but to have fluid body-control along with it puts you on an elite level of pro corners.

cox i believe had an ungodly number of INTs during his career at w & m. i think he even passed darren sharper on their career list.

jason mccourty ran a 4.2 -4.30 but is more of a zone corner from watching him on tape. good tackler and closer moving forward but not as good backpedaling.

if akwasi can show smooth body-control, watch out!

The Linebacker
01-10-2010, 12:15 PM
As a Jags fan, if a player is anywhere near the skill level of Cox, the team that drafts him will be extremely happy. Cox has enough speed, incredible tackling skills (seriously, he never missed a tackle to my recollection, best tackler on the Jags not named Daryl Smith) and good ball awareness.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 12:29 PM
As a Jags fan, if a player is anywhere near the skill level of Cox, the team that drafts him will be extremely happy. Cox has enough speed, incredible tackling skills (seriously, he never missed a tackle to my recollection, best tackler on the Jags not named Daryl Smith) and good ball awareness.

you guys must have an entirely new scouting team down there, eh? MJD, terrance knighton, cox....

the jags are making the rest of the league look like amateurs.

what ever happened to the guys in charge of selecting matt jones and mike williams that we knew and loved?

now if you could only hit on the right qb.

Cicero
01-10-2010, 03:44 PM
DRC read this thread and made a pick just for you guys.

Jonny
01-15-2010, 05:05 AM

Have you even watched Murphy and Jenkins play? Once? Jenkins is so profoundly better that there's no comparison.

McCourty, who's a 2nd or 3rd round pick probably, is far, far better.

nofalcons10
01-15-2010, 08:17 AM
Have you even watched Murphy and Jenkins play? Once? Jenkins is so profoundly better that there's no comparison.

McCourty, who's a 2nd or 3rd round pick probably, is far, far better.

jenkins definitely had better ball skills but i don't think that either davis or jenkins is more physically talented or is more physical.

i expect murphy to completely murder the combine and his pro day. his skills jump out at you on tape.

mccourty had a twin brother who went in the sixth round last year. do you think that he has more hip flexibility and better feet than his brother? i see them both as being some what stiff in spite of amazing speed.