PDA

View Full Version : Your Favorite Sports Quotes

Bosanac01
01-09-2010, 09:14 PM
just as the title says. I made a thread like this before, over 2 years ago. Here are some of my favorite sports quotes of all times.

100% of the shots you don't take, don't go in
-Wayne Gretzky

"What do you think about your team's execution?"

"I'm all for it!" -John McKay

"We didn't lose, we just ran out of time."
-Vince Lombardi

"Dont give up, dont even give up"
-Emmitt Smith.

Id run over my own mother to win it.
-Russ Grimm

Id run over Grimms mother, too.
-Matt Millen

Brent
01-09-2010, 09:25 PM
"keep matriculating the ball down the field, boys"

Im_a_Romosexual
01-09-2010, 09:26 PM
"Winning isn't everything, it's the only thing" Lombardi (I think)

"Playoffs?!?!?" Jim Mora

the_legend_killer
01-09-2010, 09:29 PM
"You play to win the game!" - Herman Edwards

"Don't give up, don't ever give up." - Jim Valvano

"Trrble." - Charles Barkley

Then, some of the afformentioned ones.

CashmoneyDrew
01-09-2010, 09:31 PM
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
-Wayne Gretzky

-Michael Scott

Bosanac01
01-09-2010, 09:38 PM
gretzky said it in a little bit different way.

Shane P. Hallam
01-09-2010, 09:40 PM
A reporter's question to Woody after he went for two against Michigan late in the 4th quarter of a game Ohio State was winning 48-14:

Reporter: "Why'd you go for two, coach?"

Hayes' reply: "Because I couldn't go for three!"

General Zod
01-09-2010, 10:12 PM
Rickey Henderson had some of the best quotes/stories ever. I got about 30 of them but here are a few of my favorites...

This first one is my all time favorite..

..Moments after breaking Lou Brock’s stolen base record, Henderson told the crowd – with Brock mere feet next to him – “Lou Brock was a great base stealer, but today, I am the greatest of all-time. Thank you!”

..In 1996, Henderson’s first season with San Diego, he boarded the team bus and was looking for a seat. Steve Finley said, “You have tenure, sit wherever you want.” Henderson looked at Finley and said, “Ten years? Ricky’s been playing at least 16, 17 years.”

..This one might be my second favorite. This wasn’t too long ago, I think it was the year he ended up playing with the Red Sox. Anyway, he called San Diego GM Kevin Towers and left the following message: “This is Rickey calling on behalf of Rickey. Rickey wants to play baseball.”

..A reporter once asked Rickey if he talked to himself, “Do I talk to myself? No, I just remind myself of what I’m trying to do. You know, I never answer myself so how can I be talking to myself?”

..When he was on the Yankees in the mid-1980s, Henderson told teammates that his condo had such a great view that he could see, “The Entire State Building.”

..In the last week of his lone season with the Red Sox, Chairman Tom Werner asked Henderson what he would like for his ‘going-away’ gift. Henderson said he wasn’t going anywhere, but he would like owner John Henry’s Mercedes. Werner said it would be tough to get the same make and model in less than a week and Henderson said, “No, I want his car.” Turns out the Sox got Henderson a Red Thunderbird and when he saw it on the field before the last game of the season, Rickey said, “Whose ugly car is on the field?”

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
I hate Al Michaels but: Do you believe in miracles? Yes!

EvilNixon
01-09-2010, 10:22 PM
Just win baby!

Philliez01
01-09-2010, 10:28 PM
Anything that Steve Prefontaine ever said

Whistler6
01-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Just spoken today on an ESPN Radio interview about Tony Romo's recent success:

"Tony Romo has finally pulled his head out of his butt"
-Randy Galloway

YAYareaRB
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
"David Stern wondering why the league is losing money. These people pay good money to watch these athletes perform and (the league) wanna take over the ******* game"

"Shaq, we're live"

"..I don't give a ****"

-Shaq CLASSIC

Whistler6
01-09-2010, 10:33 PM
"I'd run over my mother to win the Super Bowl."
-- Russ Grimm

AND can't forget Lou Holtz:

"On this team, we are all united in a common goal: to keep my job."

"They say a tie is like kissing your sister. I guess that is better than kissing your brother."

Lastly a great quote, but better said when guys like Dan Patrick are impersonating the great Lou:

"They put their pants on same way we do."
-- Lou Holtz

Bosanac01
01-09-2010, 10:35 PM
"I'd run over my mother to win the Super Bowl."
-- Russ Grimm

Id run over my own mother to win it.
-Russ Grimm

Id run over Grimms mother, too.
-Matt Millen

I have that same quote but with the addition of matt millen. I really love that. haha

YAYareaRB
01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
"Straight Cash Homie"

diabsoule
01-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Well, what happened was, that second game, we got our ass kicked. In the second half, we just got our ass totally kicked. We couldn’t do diddly poo offensively, we couldn’t make a first down, we couldn’t run the ball, we didn’t try to run the ball, we couldn’t complete a pass - we sucked. The second half, we sucked. We couldn't stop the run. Every time they got the ball, they went down and got points. We got our ass totally kicked in the second half - that's what it boiled down to. It was a horseshit performance in the second half. Horseshit. I’m totally embarrassed and totally ashamed. Coaching did a horrible job. The players did a horrible job. We got our ass kicked in that second half. It sucked. It stunk.
- Jim Mora

Well, I'll start off by saying this: do not blame that game on the defense, OK? I don't care who you play -- whether it's a high school team, a junior college team, a college team -- much less an NFL team. When you turn the ball over five times -- four interceptions, one for a touchdown, three others in field position to set up touchdowns -- you ain't going to beat anybody I just talked about. Anybody. All right? And that was a disgraceful performance in my opinion. We threw that game. We gave it away by doing that. We gave them the friggin' game. In my opinion, that sucked. Ah. You know? You can't turn the ball over five times like that. Holy crap! I don't know who the hell we think we are when we do something like that. Unbelievable. Five turnovers. One of them for -- We've thrown four interceptions for touchdowns this year. That might be an NFL record! And we've still got six games left, so there's no telling how many we'll have. That's pitiful! I mean, it's absolutely pitiful to perform like that. Pitiful!
- Jim Mora

"I've had to overcome a lot of diversity."
- Drew Gooden

"I'm not an athlete. I'm a professional baseball player."
-John Kruk

"Baseball is 90% mental -- the other half is physical."
- Yogi Berra

"He treats us like men. He lets us wear earrings."
-Torrin Polk, University of Houston receiver

"We're not attempting to circumcise rules."
-Bill Cowher

"Hawaii doesn't win many games in the United States."
- Lee Corso

"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees."
-Jason Kidd

I'll post more later.

DeepThreat
01-09-2010, 10:46 PM
"When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less."

-Paul Brown

"We've always known we had the best damn band in the land…now we've got the best damn team in the land!"

-Jim Tressel

M.O.T.H.
01-09-2010, 10:57 PM
"When my time on earth is done and my activities here are past, I want them to bury me upside down, so my critics can kiss my ass."

kalbears13
01-09-2010, 11:04 PM
"the Band Is On The Field!"

CJSchneider
01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
"Cancer can take away all my physical abilities. It cannot touch my mind, it cannot touch my heart and it cannot touch my soul. And those three things are going to carry on forever."
Jim Valvano

I still cry when I watch the Jimmy V speech.

"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do."
John Wooden

Bosanac01
01-09-2010, 11:32 PM
you can pretty much take every sentence from the jimmy v speech and put it as a quote here. Just amazing.

Bosanac01
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Here is the other thread I made over 2 years ago. It was only my second thread since registering here on dc.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16380

P-L
01-09-2010, 11:41 PM
I dare you not to laugh:

http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2008/12/rlemmittquotes.html

CJSchneider
01-09-2010, 11:50 PM
Bos will make this thread for a third time on December 21, 2012 which will spell the end of human civilization as we now know it.

Twiddler
01-09-2010, 11:51 PM
Bos will make this thread for a third time on December 21, 2012 which will spell the end of human civilization as we now know it.

I knew it. Damn you Mayans!

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-09-2010, 11:55 PM
"Whyyyyyy?!"-Nancy Kerrigan

YAYareaRB
01-10-2010, 12:03 AM
"They are who we thought they were"

vikes_28
01-10-2010, 12:36 AM
THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE. WE LET 'EM OFF THE HOOK.

-Dennis Green

LEAVE ME ALONE ALRIGHT, KNOCK IT OFF!

-Ryan Leaf

Crickett
01-10-2010, 12:37 AM
"Whyyyyyy?!"-Nancy Kerrigan

I still say that sometimes on X-Box Live when something bad happens mimicking the way she did and nobody ever ever gets it.

Beans
01-10-2010, 01:48 AM
have you ever?

no, i've never

jayceheathman
01-10-2010, 02:32 AM
aoMmbUmKN0E
"Come after me. I'm a man! I'm 40!"

General Zod
01-10-2010, 10:57 AM
"I'm about to go in and throw a touchdown to Jerry Rice, we're honoring the Hall of Fame, and we're talking about our idiot kicker who got liquored up and ran his mouth off."

LizardState
01-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Old school quotes:

You will be fired with enthusiasm, or you will be fired, with enthusiasm!

Vince Lombardi

(Pounding at Soldier Field visitors locker room door prior to GB-Chicago game. GB Packers coach Curly Lambeau opens the door, it's Bears HC/GM/local deity George Halas)

Halas: Coach, are you ready today?
Lambeau: Yeah, I guess we're ready ....
Halas: Well you better be ready, 'cause we're gonna kick your ass!

the_legend_killer
01-10-2010, 11:12 AM
"Boom.....outta here." - Brett Myers

djp
01-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Robert Elliott's reason for switching to Miss St. at the last second. “I really was just visiting Mississippi State to enjoy myself,” Elliott said. “But when they told me I could wear No. 2, that was a big factor. I gotta rock No. 2."

CJSchneider
01-10-2010, 11:35 AM
"Boom goes the dynamite" Brian Collins

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
"Thats why we American Football"

Bosanac01
01-10-2010, 02:32 PM
Sometimes I just want to feel pretty. - Dennis Rodman

neko4
01-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Well, run it and lets get the hell out of here, Lombardi to Starr just before Starr scored the game winning td in the Ice Bowl

Brent
01-10-2010, 03:52 PM
"Thats why we American Football"

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/idiotnumbr3/thatswhyweamericanfootball.jpg

NEVER FORGET

TACKLE
01-10-2010, 04:53 PM
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

-Mike Tyson

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth."

-Mike Tyson

"I'm going to eat his children, praise be Allah"

AntoinCD
01-11-2010, 06:15 PM
"I never criticise referees and I'm not going to change a habit for that prat."-Ron Atkinson

"We welcome World Service listeners to the Oval, where the bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey."-Don Mosey

"We can't win at home. We can't win on the road. I just can't figure out where else to play!"-Pat Williams

steve buscemi
01-11-2010, 06:20 PM
"Not everybody is a perfect person in this world. I mean, everyone does ... kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me. I just feel people need to give him a chance. I always looked up to Mike Vick and I always will because I still think he's one of the best quarterbacks to me and I just love Mike Vick."- Terrelle Pryor

The_Dude
01-11-2010, 06:31 PM
"I'm the kind of running back that if you need one yard, I'll get you three; you need 5 yards, I'll get you three." ~Leroy Hoard

EvilNixon
01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
"I'm the kind of running back that if you need one yard, I'll get you three; you need 5 yards, I'll get you three." ~Leroy Hoard

MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!

DoughBoy
01-11-2010, 06:43 PM

That is awesome.

TACKLE
01-11-2010, 09:05 PM
"I'm going to eat his children, praise be Allah"

Everything before that is one of the greatest sports quotes ever.

""Lennox is a conqueror? No. I'm Alexander, he's no Alexander! I'm the best ever! There's never been anybody as ruthless. I'm Sonny Liston, I'm Jack Dempsey, there's no one like me - I'm from their cloth. There's no one that can match me! My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious! I want your heart!"

- Mike Tyson

Xonraider
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM
THEY ARE WHO WE THOUGHT THEY WERE!!!
awesome.. epic

PalmerToCJ
01-11-2010, 09:43 PM
"You can take a boy to the Coliseum, sit him down for five minutes, and if he doesn't want to play basketball at the University of Kentucky after just looking at the place, he's too dumb to go to college anyway." - Adolph Rupp

Calvin & Kevin
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
From Greg Lloyd's Wikipedia page:

In 1991, Joe Namath, then an analyst for NBC, accused Lloyd of playing dirty, Lloyd responded by saying "Who the hell is Joe Namath? This is a guy who, if he played in the league today, I'd probably just go hit him late just to see what he'd do about it. Joe Namath can go to hell; he can kiss my ass."

My best friend at the time carried a newspaper clipping of that quote in his wallet for three years.

Also my other favorite quote comes from the NBA, though I forget who said it now, but some player was caught taking an underage girl home from a club after she claimed she was 18. His quote was, "What was I supposed to do, cut off her leg and count the rings?" Great quote.

wogitalia
01-11-2010, 11:09 PM
I've always liked...

"If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough".

Barkley has a webpage full of his great ones.

Ali is also good for a few.

Hines
01-14-2010, 03:02 AM
"If I could start my life all over again. I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I'd be a Pittsburgh Steeler."

-Jack Lambert

Sloopy
01-14-2010, 11:08 PM
"a gentlemen's code only applies to gentleman" - Jim Tressel speaking on Rich Rodriguez

"There are three things that can happen when you throw a pass, and two of them are bad" - Woody Hayes

Upon running low on gas in southern Michigan returning from a recruiting trip: "Stop for gas? We'll push the damn car all the way to the Ohio state line before I contribute one penny to any business in the state of Michigan!" - Woody Hayes

When asked why he went for two with a 36 point lead against the team from up north: "because I couldnt go for three" - Woody Hayes

"The Hell with exciting, I'd rather be drab as hell and win" - Woody Hayes

"if anyone congratulates you, you kick them in the shin, unless its an old lady over 80" - Woody Hayes

are you seeing a pattern?