PDA

View Full Version : Which OLB draft prospect compares most favorably to Demarcus Ware?

FinsFTW
01-09-2010, 10:17 PM
The one thing Parcells has not done during his tenure with the Dolphins is snag a game changing OLB. I believe that is one of his main targets this draft. Which OLBs would best fit that mold?

bored of education
01-09-2010, 10:18 PM
His name is Jerry Hughes, he should skip the draft and just go straight to Canton.

BeerBaron
01-09-2010, 10:21 PM
Idk, Hughes might make a good 3-4 OLB but he's not as tall or lanky as Ware is I don't believe.

Iamcanadian
01-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I don't think there is a prospect in this year's draft that is close to either Ware or Merriman. Jason Taylor who is already on the team is about as close as you will get. Brandon Graham is about the closest but he lacks height to be as effective as those 2.

YAYareaRB
01-09-2010, 10:31 PM
His name is Jerry Hughes, he should skip the draft and just go straight to San Francisco.

fixed it for you

DJC
01-09-2010, 10:36 PM
Besides Hughes, Ricky Sapp is another pure pass rusher that could slip into the 1st

FUNBUNCHER
01-09-2010, 10:37 PM
One and only one; Texas OLB/DE Sergio Kindle. He was the best defender on either side of the ball in the NC game.

phlysac
01-09-2010, 10:51 PM
Not based on stock but I see alot of similarities between Ware with those of Kindle and Hardy

foozball
01-09-2010, 11:28 PM
Kindle. Classic 3-4 OLB.

goodlookin
01-09-2010, 11:34 PM
hughes...his ability to drop his shoulder and get low in his outside pass rush move makes him extremely dangerous, if he can develop a counter move to this such as a good spin or a strong inside rip then good luck blocking him one on one all game. However id like to see hughes wrap up more often on all tackles...goes for the hit to much as opposed to getting a wider base and driving through tackles. Kindle is good but i'd put sapp as #2A kindle #2B.

ericzedwards
01-10-2010, 12:16 AM
One guy that doesn't get a lot of love because he doesn't have ideal measurables is Eric Norwood. I'm not saying he compares to Hughes or Kindle as a prospect, but I think he could be a great pickup in the second or third round. He's not the next Ware, but anyone that watched South Carolina play this year saw him take over games on the defensive side.

JoeyHeisman
01-10-2010, 12:21 AM
One and only one; Texas OLB/DE Sergio Kindle. He was the best defender on either side of the ball in the NC game.

You have got to be kidding me. Did you even watch the game? Rolando McClain says hi.

BeerBaron
01-10-2010, 01:14 AM
You have got to be kidding me. Did you even watch the game? Rolando McClain says hi.

McClain played well but he didn't make his presence felt in the way Kindle did I didn't feel.

diabsoule
01-10-2010, 04:02 AM
I like Kindle, Norwood, and Hughes in that order as far as 3-4 OLB are concerned.

Nalej
01-10-2010, 07:09 AM
Hughes>Kindle>Sapp>Norwood ... IMO

Either way- I'd love for at LEAST one of them to be drafted by the pats

nepg
01-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Actually, the closest to Ware might be fellow Troy alum, Brandon Lang. He's being slept on pretty heavily, but the dude's a beast. And there's a solid line of defensive players out of Troy.

JFLO
01-10-2010, 08:10 AM
I like Lang too, but he is no where near as athletic as Ware was coming out a few years ago.

Cannot forget about Greg Hardy either. He may have some injury issues, but his athleticism and size are a perfect blend for a Demarcus Ware type player. He needs to prove he can rush without his hand on the ground and stay healthy, but he (as well as Hughes, JPP (raw)) are good players in the mold of Ware.

Ozzy
01-10-2010, 08:21 AM
I do not think anyone has that combination of raw power and speed like Ware does in this draft. Maybe Hughes but even with him it is questionable because he is not as dominating at the point of attack, his is speed.

descendency
01-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Hughes>Kindle>Sapp>Norwood ... IMO

Either way- I'd love for at LEAST one of them to be drafted by the pats

Hughes was taking plays off in the Boise State game... I'd put Kindle over him.

RGVBadBoy
01-10-2010, 09:45 AM

WORD!!!! Took the words out of my mouth!!!

JoeyHeisman
01-10-2010, 09:58 AM
McClain played well but he didn't make his presence felt in the way Kindle did I didn't feel.

If I'm not mistaken, all of Kindle's sacks were due to McElroy being completely frightened and not knowing what to do. All of the sacks Texas had were because of McElroy's indecisiveness, except for one, and maybe an argument for 2. Kindle is a good player, but a missed assignment nor a quarterback having absolutely no clue what to do with the ball can really help him look better than he is. He didn't do anything at all against the run. And remember, he was coming off the edge against Drew Davis.

BeerBaron
01-10-2010, 10:23 AM
If I'm not mistaken, all of Kindle's sacks were due to McElroy being completely frightened and not knowing what to do. All of the sacks Texas had were because of McElroy's indecisiveness, except for one, and maybe an argument for 2. Kindle is a good player, but a missed assignment nor a quarterback having absolutely no clue what to do with the ball can really help him look better than he is. He didn't do anything at all against the run. And remember, he was coming off the edge against Drew Davis.

One sack can be a fluke. Two requires at least a little bit of talent or knowhow or something, and more than that just can't be written off as ****** offense...

kennyb
01-10-2010, 10:34 AM
When Alabama got its hands on Kindle or ran at hiim, he seemed neutralized. One sack he wasn't blocked at all, I believe.

Not sure how well that translates. Maybe it does anyway.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 11:41 AM
When Alabama got its hands on Kindle or ran at hiim, he seemed neutralized. One sack he wasn't blocked at all, I believe.

Not sure how well that translates. Maybe it does anyway.

you are correct, it was a PA pass boot im pretty sure, I like the sack that he had when he was waiting for the TE to release and pretty much said "oh heck with it im going to go get a sack" and transitioned without a stutter.

Halsey
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Many people won't remember this, but Ware was kind of an unknown leading up to the Draft, who many fans thought was a 'workout warrior'.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 11:51 AM
I like Lang too, but he is no where near as athletic as Ware was coming out a few years ago.

Cannot forget about Greg Hardy either. He may have some injury issues, but his athleticism and size are a perfect blend for a Demarcus Ware type player. He needs to prove he can rush without his hand on the ground and stay healthy, but he (as well as Hughes, JPP (raw)) are good players in the mold of Ware.

this.^

1)hardy
2)hughes
3)norwood
4)selve (could probably have a jason gildon/steelers effect) somewhere

Babylon
01-10-2010, 12:02 PM
comparable to Ware would have to be Graham and Morgan for me.

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 12:03 PM
The kid out of Penn State, I think he is Navours Bowman, lol sorry for the spelling, I'm sure its wrong.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 12:05 PM
comparable to Ware would have to be Graham and Morgan for me.

morgan reminds me of trent cole.

graham reminds me of greg spires (long-time buc's starter) and is probably better left at DE.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2010, 01:49 PM
graham reminds me of greg spires (long-time buc's starter) and is probably better left at DE.

At 6' I don't think he'll be effective at DE but he could be a dominating 3-4 OLB.
As for Kindle, I'm hearing that he may be better as a 4-3 DE which probably means he doesn't handle coverage too well.

RealityCheck
01-10-2010, 01:55 PM
In terms of draft, I'd say JPP. In terms of gameplay, totally Graham.

brasho
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM

EIthe side fo the ball? Then the best player on the ball was clearly Lamarr Houston. Houston was making tons of plays and busting through the line all of the time. Kindle may have had one more sack than Houston, but Houston was everywhere, just missed a couple of sacks, and ran McElroy straight into Kindle on another. Considering most of Alabama's rushing yards came running right at or around Kindle, I would think Kindle has a lot to improve on.

brasho
01-10-2010, 02:17 PM
At 6' I don't think he'll be effective at DE but he could be a dominating 3-4 OLB.
As for Kindle, I'm hearing that he may be better as a 4-3 DE which probably means he doesn't handle coverage too well.

Yeah, too bad that 6'1 thing didn't work out for Dwight Freeney. Dumervil was effective as a DE in the 4-3, and he's 5'11. I think you put too much importance in height as opposed to arm length. Shorter DE's have a big advantage over OTs as they get under the OTs so easily. Being short is only a disadvantage if the guy has short arms or doesn't play with good power and pad level.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 02:20 PM
EIthe side fo the ball? Then the best player on the ball was clearly Lamarr Houston. Houston was making tons of plays and busting through the line all of the time. Kindle may have had one more sack than Houston, but Houston was everywhere, just missed a couple of sacks, and ran McElroy straight into Kindle on another. Considering most of Alabama's rushing yards came running right at or around Kindle, I would think Kindle has a lot to improve on.

i didnt see that, they had longer rushes to the left side, and they ran to the left and middle very often. (AKA where Mike Johnson was)

brasho
01-10-2010, 02:21 PM

We'll have to see what he runs, but Graham has a little Freeney in him.

Morgan reminds me of... I don't know... some overrated prospect that doesn't make neaa parly enough plays for a pathetic defense that didn't have enough playmakers.

I wouldn't put him nearly in the Marvin Austin category of being all-hype and a terrible player, but Morgan should not sniff the top 10 as he didn't do enough for a defense that was among the nation's worst in stopping the run...and pretty much everything else.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 02:23 PM

http://www.nfl.com/players/gregspires/profile?id=SPI609432

if you notice these days the 5'11-6'2 guys weighing less than 270 lbs are typically the sack masters of the nfl.

elvis dumervil
robert mathis
dwight freeney
aaron kampman
aaron shobel
joey porter
james harrison
terrell suggs

i think that athleticism, first-step suddeness, speed and quickness is the best measure to judge the effectiveness of defensive ends in the nfl.

even the tall guys like demarcus ware and jason taylor weigh 265 or less.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Yeah, too bad that 6'1 thing didn't work out for Dwight Freeney. Dumervil was effective as a DE in the 4-3, and he's 5'11. I think you put too much importance in height as opposed to arm length. Shorter DE's have a big advantage over OTs as they get under the OTs so easily. Being short is only a disadvantage if the guy has short arms or doesn't play with good power and pad level.

orlando pace went on record this year and said that he hates defending shorter guys like dumervil because at 6'7 he cant bend and get his hands into their body quick enough as he can taller 6-5-6'6 ends.

back in 2004 dwight freeney made 6-8 johnathan ogden look like a ragdoll trying to maintain leverage against the short speedball.

in football, low man wins and speed and quickness helps get to the qb better than raw strength and size these days.

that's why freeney and mathis are two of the best in the game.

Sniper
01-10-2010, 02:38 PM
The kid out of Penn State, I think he is Navours Bowman, lol sorry for the spelling, I'm sure its wrong.

A 4-3 WLB/3-4 ILB reminds you of Ware? Seriously?

By the way, it's Navorro.

phlysac
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
if you notice these days the 5'11-6'2 guys weighing less than 270 lbs are typically the sack masters of the nfl.

elvis dumervil
robert mathis
dwight freeney
aaron kampman
aaron shobel
joey porter
james harrison
terrell suggs

Aaron Kampman is 6'4"
Aaron Schobel is 6'4"
Joey Porter is 6'3"
Terrell Suggs is 6'3"

so only half of the 5'11" - 6'2" guys you listed are actually within that demographic. Aside from that, the Dwight Freeney argument is in regards to 4-3 DE's. You can't list 3-4 OLBs as counterpoint to the Freeney exception.

FUNBUNCHER
01-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Aaron Kampman is 6'4"
Aaron Schobel is 6'4"
Joey Porter is 6'3"
Terrell Suggs is 6'3"

so only half of the 5'11" - 6'2" guys you listed are actually within that demographic. Aside from that, the Dwight Freeney argument is in regards to 4-3 DE's. You can't list 3-4 OLBs as counterpoint to the Freeney exception.

I was just thinking the same thing going over that list, he sure did include a buttload of guys who are taller than 6'2!

TitanHope
01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
I remember Selvie getting a lot of Ware comparisons.

CashmoneyDrew
01-10-2010, 06:05 PM
I remember Selvie getting a lot of Ware comparisons.

When I watched him lost year he kinda reminded me of Kearse.

TitanHope
01-10-2010, 06:11 PM
When I watched him lost year he kinda reminded me of Kearse.

Current Kearse or young Kearse? :D

phlysac
01-10-2010, 07:50 PM
Not comparing him by saying he will be the same type of player as Ware but the player that actually reminds me of him the most, as far as physical dimensions (not measured but visually) as well as speed and style of play is...

Greg Romeus.

PACKmanN
01-10-2010, 08:49 PM

Graham has a lot of cover skills, being a former LBer; I think a move to OLB in a 3-4 would be a smarter choice.

Everson Griffen anyone?

SenorGato
01-10-2010, 10:58 PM
Greg Romeus. That guy can be ridiculous...Whoever gets him next year will be very lucky.

Greg Hardy is more like Merriman to me, but I want to mention him because he's awesome.

Good call on Lang...very good player with similar size to Ware...won't run a 4.5 like Ware, but that's really not of significance.

nofalcons10
01-11-2010, 03:02 AM
I was just thinking the same thing going over that list, he sure did include a buttload of guys who are taller than 6'2!

you guys completely neglected what i said about size and quickness.

none of those guys are over 260 lbs.

most of them are between 245 and 250lbs.

i even mentioned demarcus ware and jason taylor but ware is 260lbs and taylor is 244.

even at their height they are very quick because they are so light and are able to move and chase down qbs.

even bruce smith was 6-4 265.

the big 6'5 290+ pounders like reggie white and mario williams are the exceptions to the rule.

YAYareaRB
01-11-2010, 03:17 AM
Romeus is a monster.

I'm still sold on Hughes tho. His pass rush move apparatus is superior to that of any 3-4 OLB in the class.

D-Unit
01-11-2010, 03:27 AM
I think Jason Pierre Paul is the closest this year, but I don't really see a guy that can be as good as Ware is. Bias maybe.. but yeah.

People should remember though that Ware is the product of being coached up.

LickaMahfeetz
01-11-2010, 04:00 AM
I don't see a Ware type in this draft as far as the total package of what Ware has to offer but if I had to pick one, I'd choose Graham. He's just nasty and is gonna bring it in a manner that is going to be productive.

thebow305
01-11-2010, 10:02 AM
I think Jason Pierre Paul is the closest this year, but I don't really see a guy that can be as good as Ware is. Bias maybe.. but yeah.

I'd have to agree here. JPP is by far the closest to Ware in terms of freakish ability and athlticism. Just a poor man's version. Therefore, he could be a Phin on draft day.

SenorGato
01-11-2010, 10:32 AM

All NFL players are. Ware was still starting Day 1 at DE/OLB in Parcells' 3-4. That's very impressive.

I don't think Pierre Paul is anywhere near as refined as Ware was. I think he's more McCray on the Saints rather than DeMarcus Ware. Really overrated...not that JJP's bad but he's not a top 20 pick.

Willie Young could be a candidate. I have my doubts, but he's been a good college player and he's athletic. Lindsey Witten is a long shot, but he's a really fluid DE around the 6'4 252 area Ware was in.

katnip
01-11-2010, 12:39 PM
I'll go out on a limb..........Eric Moncur

thebow305
01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
I'll go out on a limb..........Eric Moncur

Homer pick. But I like it! :)

Me Likey Rookies
01-11-2010, 07:21 PM
I would put my money on Everson Griffen. I think he will be much better than JPP.

OzTitan
01-11-2010, 07:29 PM
Technique > measurables when rushing the QB. I'm sure every fan here has a story of a really athletic DE/OLB that never seemed to pan out on their team.

If you can combine the two, like pre-injuries Kearse and Ware etc, then great, but as long as the guy is big enough in general to play the position, less than ideal height etc pales in comparison to excellent technique.

Obviously if you're looking for a direct prospect comparison to Ware you're filtering out the shorter guys, but when it comes to which players may end up actually being as productive as Ware, ruling out prospects based on height and size is not a sure method.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Ware was a pretty talented pass rusher coming out of Troy, not to mention he put up the workout numbers of a wide receiver as a defensive end. I don't think there's an athlete that's going to come close to that, nor do I think that Parcells will only draft an edge rusher who meets that standard.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
01-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Cameron Sheffield baaaybeeeee