PDA

View Full Version : Left tackles

mancl
01-10-2010, 09:45 AM
To me Okung, Williams, Buluga, Davis and Campbell are the top tier LT's in the draft. Fox and Capers in the next level- Not a fan of Brown and Black is a guard.

What do you think? Any comparisons between the 2- am I missing anyone? Where will they be drafted?

phlysac
01-10-2010, 09:59 AM
I stilldon't understand how Trent Williams can be considered a top-tier LEFT Tackle. Even though he pass blocks better than he run blocks.

Babylon
01-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I'm not on the Campbell bandwagon like some and Williams i dont think should be in either the LT or 1st round conversation. My top 4 would be:

Davis
Okung
Bulaga
Carimi

Campbell, Fox and Charles Brown would be probably LTs that would be good value in the second round

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 11:49 AM
I see Buluga being the next in a good run on great left tackle prospects, with Joe Thomas, Jake Long & Ryan Calady already making the pro bowl by their 2nd seasons, Buluga will be under intense pressure to equal that type of performance. It should be very interesting to see how he athletically compares to those guys, can't wait for the combine.

JFLO
01-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Okung, Davis and Campbell all have solid futures at LT.

Campbell is a much better run blocker than people give him credit for while he obviously maintains the athleticism to be a great pass protector at the next level.

However, if he ends up going to a team like Oakland or (now) Seattle, he may not be able to adapt fully to his potential.

Babylon
01-10-2010, 12:00 PM
I see Buluga being the next in a good run on great left tackle prospects, with Joe Thomas, Jake Long & Ryan Calady already making the pro bowl by their 2nd seasons, Buluga will be under intense pressure to equal that type of performance. It should be very interesting to see how he athletically compares to those guys, can't wait for the combine.

Bulaga is going to do well at the combine as Jake Long did. Should run the best time there except for Bruce Campbell and he looks like he can bench the whole gym so that should be interesting. I think Carimi might have the most upside of any of them, Not sure if he's coming out but he has a mean streak and not just because he's Italian but he reminds me of Tony Boselli.

Iamcanadian
01-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Bulaga is going to do well at the combine as Jake Long did. Should run the best time there except for Bruce Campbell and he looks like he can bench the whole gym so that should be interesting. I think Carimi might have the most upside of any of them, Not sure if he's coming out but he has a mean streak and not just because he's Italian but he reminds me of Tony Boselli.

Bulaga had a pretty mediocre senior season which usually spells doom for a prospect. He was injured part of the season and when healthy looked average this year. He will need to be pretty special to recover his rating at the combine but the potential is there.
Has Carimi even declared as of yet??? Campbell looks a bit raw but has solid talent.
I still rate Okung far above this group as the best LT in the draft. Great feet and quickness needed to hold off fast, quick pass rushers. I see Anthony Davis as strictly a RT.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 02:14 PM
Bulaga had a pretty mediocre senior season which usually spells doom for a prospect. He was injured part of the season and when healthy looked average this year. He will need to be pretty special to recover his rating at the combine but the potential is there.
Has Carimi even declared as of yet??? Campbell looks a bit raw but has solid talent.
I still rate Okung far above this group as the best LT in the draft. Great feet and quickness needed to hold off fast, quick pass rushers. I see Anthony Davis as strictly a RT.

Isn't he a junior? I agree this seems like a relatively weak LT class, but Anthony Davis has potential to play LT, which is why i think he'll shoot up draft boards.

iowatreat54
01-10-2010, 03:48 PM

Bulaga was a Junior. And he pretty much declared because after the heart problems he had, realized how quickly things can go wrong and that he should go pro while he has the chance.

That said, Bulaga missed 3 games because of the heart problem. His first game back was vs. Michigan, where he got worked by Graham. His 2nd game back was vs. Wisconsin, where he was better but Schofield still beat him a lot. After that, there really were no games where he did poorly and in fact was pretty dominant. In the Orange Bowl, he was pushed back by Morgan a once or twice, but really shut him down for the most part.

The notion that Bulaga had a bad year comes from missing 3 games and then being badly beaten by 2 of the Big XI's top pass rushers in back to back weeks after no physical activity for 3 straight weeks. His draft stock will prolly take a hit for it, but that's good news for whatever team will get him mid to late 1st. The kid is off the charts athletic for a OT and will show it during workouts.

DaBrowns41
01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
The notion that Bulaga had a bad year comes from missing 3 games and then being badly beaten by 2 of the Big XI's top pass rushers in back to back weeks after no physical activity for 3 straight weeks. His draft stock will prolly take a hit for it, but that's good news for whatever team will get him mid to late 1st. The kid is off the charts athletic for a OT and will show it during workouts.

Morgan was only rushing against Bulaga a handful of plays the entire game.

Don't know if anybody else noticed, but they moved Calloway to RG and Riley Reiff to RT against Ga Tech.

Morgan was up against Reiff 90% of the game.

YotoJets007
01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Okung is only the one in LT that is a safe bet. Davis may be another one if he starts at RT and then LT in long term.

Williams should be kicked out of the first round because he is too freaking slow. Terrible footwork.

Buluga could be a solid first round but he may fall out of first round due to having thyroid condition. It is difficult to conquer or control the thyroid condition. He could be quit if the condition is not getting better. Waste 1st round money on him? I wont.

Campbell is a first round prospect for ZBS but he has long long way to be polished T. He is a freak in healthy body so he may be worth a gamble in the low portion of the 1st round. Packers may be in a good position for value?

Brown and Fox could slide into the 1st round due to Williams and Buluga' issues but he is a solid 2nd-3rd round prospects. Brown really has a shot to become a 1st round. We will see.

ToldLikeItIs
01-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Carimi's jewish.

Babylon
01-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Carimi's jewish.

What does that have to do with anything?

Malaka
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM
I am pretty high on Campbell right now, I like him better than the rest of the LTs in this draft: Okung does everything right but doesn't impress me anywhere really, Trent Williams is a good pass blocking RT, but below average LT, Bulaga seems a lot like Robert Gallery but better I suppose; Bulaga does not have abnormally short arms, I like what I have seen from Fox but that heart condition scares me... anyone know anything about that to clear things up? Ciron Black is a mid-round pick for RT, and lastly I have not seen much of Charles Brown.

JFLO
01-10-2010, 07:26 PM
What does that have to do with anything?

You called him Italian earlier...

do Italian Jews still exist?

iowatreat54
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Morgan was only rushing against Bulaga a handful of plays the entire game.

Don't know if anybody else noticed, but they moved Calloway to RG and Riley Reiff to RT against Ga Tech.

Morgan was up against Reiff 90% of the game.

Well the few times Morgan did line up against Bulaga he rarely did anything outside of once maybe twice pushing him back, and even then Bulaga would recover.

The point remains, outside of the Michigan and Wisconsin games, which were his first 2 games coming off heart problems and sitting out for 3 weeks, there were no games where Bulaga looked bad. Amazing? No, but of the 10 games he played, he was average to great in 8 of them.

Brent
01-10-2010, 07:34 PM
did they ever exist?

JFLO
01-10-2010, 07:36 PM
did they ever exist?

i was wondering the same thing...i'm sure there is at least one...or has been at least one.

phlysac
01-10-2010, 07:39 PM
Trent Williams is a good pass blocking RT, but below average LT

This is what I see and I, because he's mocked to the 49ers so often, hope for someone to raise my outlook on him. I see a guy that has tremendous value for being able to play all-5 OL positions. However...

Even though he had much more success in pass pro on the right side, his run blocking is the weakest part of his game. That doesn't bode well for him on the right side either.

Please... someone have a different take?

Giantsfan1080
01-10-2010, 07:43 PM
did they ever exist?

Yes. You ever see Life is Beautiful? It's based on Roberto Benigni's father, an Italian Jew.

BaLLiN
01-10-2010, 07:44 PM
This is what I see and I, because he's mocked to the 49ers so often, hope for someone to raise my outlook on him. I see a guy that has tremendous value for being able to play all-5 OL positions. However...

Even though he had much more success in pass pro on the right side, his run blocking is the weakest part of his game. That doesn't bode well for him on the right side either.

Please... someone have a different take?

so hes more valuable to a left handed quarterback to protect his blind side, so... arizona cardinals?

Babylon
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM

Then tell the guy to use the Quote feature because i wasnt sure what he was talking about.

FUNBUNCHER
01-10-2010, 08:13 PM

Howard Stern.