PDA

View Full Version : Can Spikes play ILB in 3-4?

kennyb
01-10-2010, 10:36 AM
I have heard that he prefers to run around blocks instead of take them on. On the other hand, Florida defense is supposedly much more stout with him in.

I think he might be able to play OLB in a 3-4 as well.

Discuss, please.

nofalcons10
01-10-2010, 10:47 AM
spikes is at least on par with jerod mayo, james farrior and bart scott in terms of talent and speed. he also has size like david harris.

i could see him playing Strongside or MLB in a 4-3 as well.

JohnConner
01-10-2010, 11:40 AM
Absolutely, I think he can be a poor man's Patrick Willis, this guy has great size, decent speed, and good awareness, very impressed with this guy, could have a Laurinitis or Malaluga type 2nd round impact.

descendency
01-10-2010, 11:42 AM
I don't see him as a LB in the 43. Lacks speed to me. However, as a 34 LB, I say it's a lock. However, lots of people like him in both schemes.

the 3rd patriots pick (the titans/jaguars [I forgot who has the "lower" pick] second rounder) could be Brandon Spikes.

phlysac
01-10-2010, 12:04 PM
I think he would perform BEST in a 3-4. Specifically as a TED.

Besides, I don't think many, if any ILBs "prefer" taking on blockers.

eagles6606
01-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Spikes not only can play in a 34 he should play in it. Spikes doesn't have very good sideline to sideline speed and his best asset is his blitzing and toughness. His skills would be best utilized as a 34 ILB rather than a 43 MIKE.

wicket
01-10-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah 34 is his best fit

Iamcanadian
01-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Spikes not only can play in a 34 he should play in it. Spikes doesn't have very good sideline to sideline speed and his best asset is his blitzing and toughness. His skills would be best utilized as a 34 ILB rather than a 43 MIKE.

I agree, he lacks the speed to be a MLB in a 4-3 defense but should be OK as an ILB in a 3-4.

The Linebacker
01-10-2010, 02:24 PM
He doesn't lack "speed" per se. His biggest issue is stiff hips and reaction skills. 4 years of watching him play and that was always the biggest negative that I saw. He has great size, speed and vision that's good enough to be in the right spot, but I just never saw him turn his hips with any fluidity.

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Does everyone agree with The Linebacker that Spikes has stiff hips?
Is he then a liability in coverage?

romo4prez415
01-11-2010, 10:29 PM
Thats been my only issue with him. He's a little too high cut for my liking and struggles changing directions which limits his pursuit range. I don't think he can play much man but he's terrific in zone coverage as well. I think he's a 2nd round pick. I only pick blue chip ILBer's like Willis, Beason, and McClain in the 1st round because you can find guys later.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 10:47 PM
It's his best fit from what I've seen of him. However if he's drafted high it will probably be to play in a 4-3. The 3-4 ILB spot can definitely be manned by guys who are solid run stuffers, that's why it's not a hugely prioritized position. To be worth spending a premium pick on, you have to know you're getting a linebacker who can do it all, including pass coverage, which happens to be Spikes weak spot.

yourfavestoner
01-12-2010, 01:30 PM
It's his best fit from what I've seen of him. However if he's drafted high it will probably be to play in a 4-3. The 3-4 ILB spot can definitely be manned by guys who are solid run stuffers, that's why it's not a hugely prioritized position. To be worth spending a premium pick on, you have to know you're getting a linebacker who can do it all, including pass coverage, which happens to be Spikes weak spot.

TBH, he's not that bad in coverage. He actually defends the shallow hole and hook/curl zones pretty well and is adept at baiting QBs. He's made more than his share of interceptions and interception returns for TDs.

Any team expecting him to cover the deep middle a la "Tampa Two" style is going to be sorely disappointed.

DaBrowns41
01-12-2010, 01:47 PM
Spikes just plays so slow, IMO. He's not as quick and fast as people think he is.

Nalej
01-12-2010, 07:38 PM
Not only should Spikes play ILB in a 34- he should do it in NE :D