PDA

View Full Version : Rennie Curran Going Pro

TheDirtyWord
01-10-2010, 04:07 PM
http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2010/01/10/curran-about-to-announce-nfl-decision/

Curran says he’ll leave UGA for NFL draft
3:24 pm January 10, 2010, by Tim Tucker

In what he called the toughest decision of his life, Georgia junior linebacker Rennie Curran said this afternoon that he will leave school early for the NFL draft.

“There are so many variables, so many unknowns in making a decision like this because you don’t know what’s going to happen,” he said. “It’s a total leap of faith.

“I changed my mind so many ways,” he said. “It’s one thing to say that you’re ready mentally and physically, but it’s another thing to actually take the stand and have the courage and do it and say you’re going to go. It’s something I really had to pray about for a lot of days.”

In the end, Curran said an accumulation of factors convinced him the time was right for him to enter the draft, although he said he’ll very much miss his teammates and UGA fans. Among the factors steering him to the NFL draft, he said, is that he has a 1-year-old daughter.

“I wrote down the pros and cons, and my reasons to go outweighed my reasons to stay,” he said.

More to come.

RealityCheck
01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
He has children, so I understand.

CashmoneyDrew
01-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Good move. He won't get any taller waiting one more year.

Unbiased
01-10-2010, 04:33 PM
He has children, so I understand.

But when Bowman leaves early and he has a kid, it's a mistake? Was that you who said that or someone else?

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-10-2010, 04:45 PM
It Pops Like Rennie Curran On A Tackle

RealityCheck
01-10-2010, 05:22 PM
But when Bowman leaves early and he has a kid, it's a mistake? Was that you who said that or someone else?
Might have been me. I didn't know he had a child, too.

Falcon_from_E_Oakland
01-10-2010, 05:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGWLKVSYjE

To get to know him a little better. (worth watching)
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vGWLKVSYjE)

Bengals78
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Curran is a beast.

ericzedwards
01-10-2010, 08:35 PM
I usually don't like when players who aren't locks for the first three rounds declare early, but I can understand Curran's situation. I would've liked to have seen him exhaust his college eligibility, because he's a guy that's so fun to watch. Still, I think he has a chance to surprise in the NFL. He flies around the field and seems to be in on every tackle. I think he could fit in well as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3, and I think he'll make a long, solid career out of playing that position. A poor man's Derrick Brooks.

JFLO
01-10-2010, 08:37 PM
I like Curran to be a good pro, maybe not a Pro-Bowler, but he is as productive and tough as they come.

He'll be a solid steal in the 2nd-4th round area.

Finz99
01-11-2010, 12:07 AM
Would Zach Thomas be a good comparison for him? Undersized, yet can fly all over the field?

BeerBaron
01-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I usually don't like when players who aren't locks for the first three rounds declare early, but I can understand Curran's situation. I would've liked to have seen him exhaust his college eligibility, because he's a guy that's so fun to watch. Still, I think he has a chance to surprise in the NFL. He flies around the field and seems to be in on every tackle. I think he could fit in well as a weakside linebacker in a 4-3, and I think he'll make a long, solid career out of playing that position. A poor man's Derrick Brooks.

Normally I'd agree, maybe limit it even more to guys who are most likely first rounders....but if you're trying to support a family, even late round draft pick money is better than what most of the rest of the world lives on.

Big_Pete
01-11-2010, 01:11 AM
Could Curran play an in the box SS?

Otherwise he is pretty much limited to 4-3 WLB

thadoniousmonk
01-11-2010, 11:26 AM
Would Zach Thomas be a good comparison for him? Undersized, yet can fly all over the field?

Definitely a good comparison but I also see him as a London Fletcher type of player. Undersized backer but is a tackling machine. I see him being a solid player for the next decade no matter where he plays.

energizerbunny
01-11-2010, 12:20 PM
Great move for him, its not like he is gonna be 6'2" next season.

Gotta leave when that stock is high.

villagewarrior
01-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Normally I'd agree, maybe limit it even more to guys who are most likely first rounders....but if you're trying to support a family, even late round draft pick money is better than what most of the rest of the world lives on.

As long as he uses some of that money to finish his degree, football is so iffy having a degree is a much more sure bet as to providing for his family in the long run.

Big_Pete
01-11-2010, 08:59 PM
Could Curran play SS?

He seems somewhat similar to Pat Chung (although a little bigger)

Vox Populi
01-16-2010, 01:27 PM
Could Curran play SS?

He seems somewhat similar to Pat Chung (although a little bigger)

No chance. Hes a linebacker through and through. Hes probably my favourite linebacker prospect in the past 6-7 years that I've been following the draft. Hes a good man and I hope he does well for himself in the NFL.

Da Big Harv
01-16-2010, 05:57 PM
vert strange prospect he could fall big if doesn't have a good offseason but he has been coaching incredibly never being out of position and a great form tackler and flows to the ball all over the field. Hopefully his career turns out better than former players he compares to like Aaron Harris from Texas and the De La Salle kid from Tennessee

LonghornsLegend
01-16-2010, 06:14 PM

To be even more specific, undrafted FA's on the practice squad make well more then the rest of the world, 5k+ per week, so being drafted alone puts you above that mark.

I've always liked Curran, I think he's a pretty safe pick to be a solid pro, he knows how to find the ball and reacts very well, he impressed me whenever I saw UGA play.