PDA

View Full Version : Dunlap declaring

foozball
01-11-2010, 11:02 AM
saw it on espn just now

ThePudge
01-11-2010, 11:13 AM
Fine decision, whether it be this year or next, this guy was going to be a 1st Round pick based off of upside. Disgusted by the lack of leverage, explosiveness, and power he plays with... but perhaps a coach will come along that can unlock his potential and get his athleticism translating to the field. Average->Solid player with the physical tools and experience at a high level of competition. Hopefully not in the Top 10-15 discussion, but a fine risk after that. A 4-3 end, not buying much value in the 3-4.

BeerBaron
01-11-2010, 11:17 AM
If he falls to the 3rd round like in the forum mock, someone may be very happy. If someone burns a top 20 pick on him...well, notsomuch...

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-11-2010, 11:27 AM
If he falls to the 3rd round like in the forum mock, someone may be very happy. If someone burns a top 20 pick on him...well, notsomuch...

I think thats entirely possible, him slipping to the 3rd round. The questions about his desire were enough to make him a 2nd rounder and then he got the crazy DUI.

3rd round seems about right.

princefielder28
01-11-2010, 12:05 PM
If he can answer the character concerns following the DUI then he'll be looking at the bottom of round one. JPP is being touted as a potential top 10 pick and his physical skills and statistics are on par or less than Dunlap's and JPP went up against lower compeitition. I'm not a big fan of either one but coaches think they can maximize any player's potential and they'll be willing to take the risk for the reward of the player's potential.

01-11-2010, 12:21 PM
You can say what you want about the guy, but production has never been his biggest issue.

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 12:35 PM
Basically a Calais Campbell clone. Like Campbell, it will take a few years of development before he's ready to be a solid contributor in the pros, whether it's in a 4-3 or 3-4. All of it depends on how willing he is to shore up his defense against the run, because he's stupid if he thinks his value is as a pure pass rusher.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 01:23 PM
I just want to kidnap him and stick him in a 3-4 somewhere.

RealityCheck
01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
He should have stayed.

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 01:35 PM
I just want to kidnap him and stick him in a 3-4 somewhere.

If you do though, it'll be a couple of years before he's ready to really contribute in the 3-4. He isn't that strong for his size yet and doesn't play with leverage against the run. Plus, he's not done filling out his frame. I assume he'll be easily over 300 lbs by the time he reaches his prime (again, this is as a 3-4 end).

Babylon
01-11-2010, 01:43 PM
Basically a Calais Campbell clone. Like Campbell, it will take a few years of development before he's ready to be a solid contributor in the pros, whether it's in a 4-3 or 3-4. All of it depends on how willing he is to shore up his defense against the run, because he's stupid if he thinks his value is as a pure pass rusher.

I think he's more explosive than Campbell who ran about a 5 flat at the comine. Dunlap should excel there.

Halsey
01-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Honestly, that's good news for the Gators. They get a headache off thier roster and will just replace him with a new 5 star DE like Ronald Powell. I hate UF.

murdamal86
01-11-2010, 02:54 PM
He should have stayed.

He couldn't have done anything to really improve his stock. What goes up, must come down....

Mr.Regular
01-11-2010, 02:56 PM
I see a spot for him in the end of round one. Passrushers are always in high demand, and the guy has semi good production and great measurables.

Nalej
01-11-2010, 04:04 PM
his stock'll rise again once the combine comes. dude's a specimen.

FUNBUNCHER
01-11-2010, 04:18 PM

Ding-ding!!!

Like Campbell, I think Dunlap will be a better pro than a collegian. but again I have no idea why Calais Campbell and Carlos Dunlap are/were more highly regarded prospects than Michael Johnson was coming out of Ga Tech.

I can't see Dunlap falling past the first round, especially if he's really 290# and can run a sub 4.7 40.

descendency
01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
He couldn't have done anything to really improve his stock. What goes up, must come down....

His stock could be a top 10. He's a late first rounder right now.

Nard_Dog
01-11-2010, 07:44 PM
If Michael Johnson couldn't fix his stock after a good combine than I doubt Dunlap can.

superman8456
01-11-2010, 07:50 PM
If Michael Johnson couldn't fix his stock after a good combine than I doubt Dunlap can.

Michael Johnson was also living in the shadow of the Connor Barwin hype. He was by far the most athletic dlineman at the combine.

cajuncorey
01-11-2010, 09:12 PM

when he runs a 4.6 at the combine youll never make that comparision again... EVER

TACKLE
01-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Can someone tell me what Carlos Dunlap does well on the field. I've seen him play many times and I still can't figure it out.

Calvin & Kevin
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
Can someone tell me what Carlos Dunlap does well on the field. I've seen him play many times and I still can't figure it out.

I agree. I've only watched him a handful of times but I have never seen him do anything that made me go "oh OK so that's what he's so hyped about." He looks like a skinny linebacker too. I thought the same thing about Chris Long, he just never looked like a full-size DE to me and neither does Dunlap.

TACKLE
01-12-2010, 01:09 AM
I agree. I've only watched him a handful of times but I have never seen him do anything that made me go "oh OK so that's what he's so hyped about." He looks like a skinny linebacker too. I thought the same thing about Chris Long, he just never looked like a full-size DE to me and neither does Dunlap.

You do realize he is 6'6 290.

RaiderNation
01-12-2010, 01:17 AM

Plays like hes 6'3 255lbs. He should be good against the run with that size, but he is more of a pass rusher

DaBrowns41
01-12-2010, 09:19 AM
If you do though, it'll be a couple of years before he's ready to really contribute in the 3-4. He isn't that strong for his size yet and doesn't play with leverage against the run. Plus, he's not done filling out his frame. I assume he'll be easily over 300 lbs by the time he reaches his prime (again, this is as a 3-4 end).

Campbell contributed quite a bit in his rookie year, and in his 2nd year, he started 15 games and posted 7 sacks (which is unheard of for a 34 DE).

I don't know where you're getting this "couple years" thing.

brat316
01-12-2010, 11:32 AM

chris long is not 6-6 290

Dunlap is suppose to be that, but who knows. Also he was referring to chris long looking like a lb.

yourfavestoner
01-12-2010, 11:40 AM
when he runs a 4.6 at the combine youll never make that comparision again... EVER

Meh...I just don't see that kind of speed in him. Call him a very poor man's Peppers or Mario Williams if you'd like.

Saints-Tigers
01-12-2010, 11:42 AM
Apparently Dunlap just slips and falls onto his sacks. He tends to really trip over himself in big games.

Addict
01-12-2010, 11:48 AM
wasn't Dunlap supposed to be some kind of monster? I seem to remember WMD driving his bandwagon.

Addict
01-12-2010, 11:50 AM

make that 6'3", 275 and you've got yourself a deal. 6'6" 290 is closer to Jake Long than it is to Chris.

Besides, everyone knew long wasn't a physical specimen, he was a motor and drive guy. He'll get there eventually. He just isn't able to brute-force his way in.

yourfavestoner
01-12-2010, 01:28 PM
make that 6'3", 275 and you've got yourself a deal. 6'6" 290 is closer to Jake Long than it is to Chris.

Besides, everyone knew long wasn't a physical specimen, he was a motor and drive guy. He'll get there eventually. He just isn't able to brute-force his way in.

6'6 290 refers to Dunlap's height and weight, not Long's.

FUNBUNCHER
01-12-2010, 01:43 PM

Chris Long won a slam dunk contest in HS as a senior. He's a pretty good athlete, but I don't think he has the pure athleticism to dominate OL on physical tools alone.
But you're right, his calling card is his motor. He's a total high effort football player. I hope the Rams take Suh so he has more opportunity to develop as a pass rusher.