PDA

View Full Version : Mark McGuire Admits Steroid Use. Anyone suprised?

prock
01-11-2010, 03:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

About time he comes clean. No shot at the HOF.

jayceheathman
01-11-2010, 03:37 PM
I read that he said he has been taking it for around a decade. I bet none of the girls he has been with have been happy. Well, except for the part that he is worth millions.

vikes_28
01-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Lol. Isn't this kind of old news?

E-Man
01-11-2010, 03:41 PM
lol we all knew that way back in 97.

P-L
01-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Not surprised he took them, just surprised that he finally came clean.

CJSchneider
01-11-2010, 05:03 PM
I held my daughter of one year old in my arms as McGwire hit homerun #70. I jumped off the couch with her in my arms. I felt so happy to have watched that moment, and knew it was a little more special for me because I had shared it with her, knowing full well she wouldn't remember it or even care about it for that matter. I'd be a liar if I said I didn't feel angry or even a little bit cheated right now. It's not that I had been so naive as to not think that he used PED's, but this just makes it official.

prock
01-11-2010, 05:09 PM
yeah we all knew all along that he took them, i am just shocked that he came clean.

holt_bruce81
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
It's about time he came clean. Good for him.

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
lol we all knew that way back in 97.

Yeah I kind of gave up hope thinking he was clean when he started using his forearms to crack walnuts.

CC.SD
01-11-2010, 05:42 PM
wasn't La Russa just talking about him possibly pinch hitting...oops.

Whistler6
01-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Sammy Sosa is ******** his pants right now and praying McGwire doesn't go on an interview tour.

steve buscemi
01-11-2010, 05:46 PM
I am not surprised, but I, Steve Buscemi, would never do something like steroids to harm my body.

TitleTown088
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
It's about time he came clean. Good for him.

Amen. He fessed up and that is al he could have done at this point.

CashmoneyDrew
01-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I am not surprised, but I, Steve Buscemi, would never do something like steroids to harm my body.

I saw your movie Youth In Revolt today. You weren't funny.

BroadwayJoe10
01-11-2010, 09:26 PM

Loved you in reservoir dogs...but you look like golum.

http://lookliker.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/steve-buscemi-golum.jpg

MetSox17
01-11-2010, 09:33 PM
I'm surprised at how this happened, not many people were expecting this since McGwire has had a thousand opportunities to come clean and never did. I thought he was gonna take it to the grave, but in the whole interview he did seem sincere and apologetic, so i must say i do forgive the guy. There's no place for him in the HOF, but i think at this point that was a foregone conclusion already.

iworshipbender
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM
http://i48.tinypic.com/9u1yyw.png

soybean
01-11-2010, 09:45 PM
He's just trying to get into the hall of fame.

anyways, I'm so unsurprised by this that I swear I once saw him shooting up in the dugout.

Calvin & Kevin
01-11-2010, 09:47 PM
He wanted a job in the league. This is one step short of admitting it to sell a book.

Still, I will at least give McGwire this: he never lied and said he didn't do it like Bonds and Palmeiro and others. Sure, he avoided saying anything in the most weaselly way possible, but he never straight up lied.

niel89
01-11-2010, 09:53 PM
At least he admits it.

MetSox17
01-11-2010, 09:56 PM
He wanted a job in the league. This is one step short of admitting it to sell a book.

Still, I will at least give McGwire this: he never lied and said he didn't do it like Bonds and Palmeiro and others. Sure, he avoided saying anything in the most weaselly way possible, but he never straight up lied.

You're crazy if you think this is anywhere close to the douchebagginess that Canseco reached while he was promoting his book. Confessing to foul play in to be able to work for the league and you know, actually EARN your salary is light years away from selling out coaches and teammates to make a quick buck without doing any actual work.

MiWolves
01-11-2010, 11:47 PM
I don't get how hes not in the HoF.. At the time PEDs weren't illegal at all. If anything the whole league should fired Bud Selig for being the worse commissioner on the face of the Earth. He made the game interesting again and without the McGwire and Sosa home run battle and you all know it baseball would be dead.

General Zod
01-11-2010, 11:51 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4816607

About time he comes clean. No shot at the HOF.

And in related news.....

water is wet.

Stash
01-12-2010, 12:16 AM
I'm glad he came clean. He always seemed like a super nice guy so I'm sure this weighed on him. Besides, he had to do this to get that Cardinals gig. They weren't gonna go into ST and have reporters focusing on Mac instead of the players. They talked to LaRussa tonight about it here on TV, he indicated there will be more info in the coming weeks.

Thumper
01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
And in other breaking news, water is wet, the sky is blue, grass is green and Lady Gaga is a man.

Jvig43
01-12-2010, 01:20 AM
Wow..... I just read this, lost so much respect for him........

pssssssh naaaat

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Yay now we get to hear ESPN talk about something we already knew for like, I dont know, the next 2 months. Probably going to get more play than the NFL playoffs. :/

Whistler6
01-12-2010, 03:39 PM
He's adamant that taking steroids didn't help him hit any of his homeruns...Then why the hell is he apologizing (in tears) to the Maris family?

iowatreat54
01-12-2010, 03:41 PM
Could someone please correct the spelling in the title. It's really bothering me.

Yea, I'm sure he only took steroids to stay healthy, he didn't intend for them to improve his game at all... :rolleyes:

Whistler6
01-12-2010, 04:06 PM
Could someone please correct the spelling in the title. It's really bothering me.

Yea, I'm sure he only took steroids to stay healthy, he didn't intend for them to improve his game at all... :rolleyes:

Even Peter Gammons on the Dan Patrick Show today said there are too many holes in his story. When the most respected analyst/writer in the business thinks his admission is messed up, you there's something going on...

-----"I just felt, my goodness, for him to think that we would believe that performance-enhancing drugs had nothing to do with hitting a ball 600 feet, most people out there are going, 'what?'," Gammons said.

Gammons thinks that steroids certainly helped him hit all those home runs. "The fact is those drugs allowed you to work out for eight hours a day," Gammons said.-----

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/danpatrick/blog/93121/index.html

iowatreat54
01-12-2010, 04:27 PM
Yes, and it's not even the direct correlation of he took steroids that helped him hit HRs. It's the fact that taking steroids also may have allowed him to play longer, when he otherwise wouldn't have been able to, etc. If he never took steroids, how are we to know that he would have stayed healthy/in top physical shape, thus allowing him to play more and end up hitting those HRs?

I mean come on, did he really expect people to be like, "Oh, yea, well that makes sense. Case closed!"

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
What? Are you serious? I never saw this coming.

http://www.epix.de/images/scanners4.jpg

Brent
01-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I also found out the Earth is round; who'd of thought?

CJSchneider
01-12-2010, 07:22 PM
http://www.lushtshirts.co.uk/images/products/santa-real.jpg

WHAT??????????????

DoughBoy
01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Who ate the cookies then?? I used to belive in santa until I found out he and my mom signed my presents the same way. :(

CJSchneider
01-12-2010, 07:28 PM
Who ate the cookies then?? :(

I love Christmas Eve because my kids make cookies and then I get to eat them and write funny little notes thanking them for the cookies and milk.

wogitalia
01-12-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not sure how using Steroids is a knock on a player in that era of baseball.

It wasn't against the rules of the league other than being illegal in society, lets be honest, the league clearly condoned the usage of them, basically encouraged it, the vast majority of players, at least noteworthy players, used them. Given that, I don't think you can hold it against the guy, sure asterisk that era's records compared to the past, but when it comes to the hall of fame, are you just going to have a 15 year period where you vote no one in?

Sounds stupid, the league encouraged their usage because they wanted more home runs and now they are trying to stop all those guys who carried the sport from being honoured eternally. Typical arrogance of commissioners of the major sports, want to have their cake and eat it to.

LonghornsLegend
01-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Well, 61 homeruns is still the record.

I actually have the articles saved when McGwire broke it, and Bonds as well, I feel like it's apart of history and I'll probably frame them at some point, but it's just crazy how these guys just blatantly cheated their names into the record books.

Brodeur
01-13-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, 61 homeruns is still the record.

I actually have the articles saved when McGwire broke it, and Bonds as well, I feel like it's apart of history and I'll probably frame them at some point, but it's just crazy how these guys just blatantly cheated their names into the record books.

Oh please. Barry Bonds has the homerun record, not Roger Maris.

holt_bruce81
01-13-2010, 08:28 PM

Yes he does. But should he?

Brodeur
01-13-2010, 08:34 PM
Yes he does. But should he?

Umm yes, yes he should. Steroids effect on players is extremely overrated, but I won't get into that for the 800th time.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 08:35 PM
I think you're asking the wrong guy.

Brent
01-13-2010, 09:04 PM
Umm yes, yes he should. Steroids effect on players is extremely overrated, but I won't get into that for the 800th time.
oh my goodness. THANK YOU.

now, I am going to put on my SF Giants hat for kicks.

LonghornsLegend
01-13-2010, 10:33 PM

Uhhh, obviously. But personally I'll be waiting for the next clean guy to break 61 to declare he has the record. I could care less about what the record books say honestly, but I'm well aware of who 'technically' has the record but thanks for the clarification.

tjsunstein
01-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm about to do a cycle, F it. I mean all I have to do is break down in tears 15 years from now after I make bank.