PDA

View Full Version : Chad Jones to enter 2010 NFL draft

truth393
01-11-2010, 03:46 PM
LSU junior safety Chad Jones announced Monday he will enter the 2010 NFL draft, according to a statement emailed to the Times Picayune by Jones family.

Jones will forfeit his final season of football eligibility and his final two seasons of baseball eligibility

http://www.nola.com/lsu/index.ssf/2010/01/lsu_football_chad_jones_to_ent.html

foozball
01-11-2010, 03:58 PM
wow very surprising

DoWnThEfiElD
01-11-2010, 04:00 PM
I'd say he has some potential.

diabsoule
01-11-2010, 04:14 PM
He has a TON of untapped potential but I think another year in school would have benefited him.

DiG
01-11-2010, 04:15 PM
chad jones is awesome. could leapfrog taylor mays even.

1. berry
2. earl thomsa
3. mays / jones

Shane P. Hallam
01-11-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think Jones will end up in the first round unless he absolutely explodes in workouts. Such a great safety class though. Plenty of amazing depth in the second.

yourfavestoner
01-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Jesus Christ, this class gets better and better each passing day. I expect a record number of trades, with teams either trying to recoup as many picks as possible or moving up to target guys they love who will undoubtedly fall to later rounds and become available.

Babylon
01-11-2010, 04:44 PM
Add another potentially good safety to the mix, which is good because the safety play in the playoffs has been lacking to me.

P-L
01-11-2010, 04:49 PM
I love Chad Jones, but I think he should've stayed. This safety class is pretty stacked and he's still a bit raw. He definitely would've been the favorite to be the first safety off the board next year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
01-11-2010, 04:53 PM
SWEET. Can't wait to see him at the Combine.

DreadedDatSkinsFan
01-11-2010, 05:20 PM
Yesssss..

My favorite player in the draft NOT named Berry...

AS11toFG21
01-11-2010, 05:34 PM
FS or SS as a pro?

SenorGato
01-11-2010, 05:59 PM
FS or SS as a pro?

SS, if his team chose to limit him.

thebow305
01-11-2010, 06:18 PM
Great! I'm glad he did. Has SOOO much potential and is UBER-talented! might be able to leapfrog Taylor Mays as the #2 safety with some great workouts.

diabsoule
01-11-2010, 06:22 PM
SS, if his team chose to limit him.

I think he's more of a SS than FS. While he does have excellent range, he plays better in run support than the pass (not saying he's bad in pass pro), and it seems his instincts are more geared towards stopping the run and knowing which direction it will go in.

BeerBaron
01-11-2010, 06:23 PM
If some of these good safeties end up falling a bit, I might rethink my position of not wanting another mid-rounder FS to the Bears....but hell, the way things are going, the Bears might end up with a guy who would be late first round quality that late. This draft is just loaded.

LonghornsLegend
01-11-2010, 06:25 PM
This is actually great news for Dallas who may be in the market for a safety in the 1st round with Hamlin likely gone and Sensabaugh looking for a huge payday. I really like Chad Jones and like everyone has said he has tons of potential but he'll just be better value for someone this year.

This safety class is sick, I'm pretty sure we grab one of these guys.

Flyboy
01-11-2010, 07:07 PM
Awesome. Keep declaring so the Saints will have plenty of choices when it comes to safeties and OLBs.

WorldBFree
01-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Jones is one of my favorite prospects. I pray the Steelers draft him. If he some how hangs around until the third round then that would be great. I would be tempted to take him in the 2nd. The sky is the limit for Jones.

LonghornsLegend
01-11-2010, 07:55 PM
I doubt he makes it out of the 2nd honestly, I'd be pumped if he could make it that far anyway but 3rd seems like a stretch. He's an incredible athlete and a hell of a baseball player if I recall, he'd be a great pick for a team who wasn't expecting him to step in as a starter from Day 1 and could let him play ST in year 1 and get acclomated to the position properly.

Nard_Dog
01-11-2010, 08:13 PM
Not completely excited about the move, has a ton of potential still if he stayed another year could have potentially become a first round pick.

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Jones is one of my favorite prospects. I pray the Steelers draft him. If he some how hangs around until the third round then that would be great. I would be tempted to take him in the 2nd. The sky is the limit for Jones.
He'd help the Steelers a ton. If he had been there this year with all the games Troy P missed, I think that the Steelers would have won some more games.
Good move for Jones to enter. Somebody gave him some good advice.

Great name by the way, Lloyd World B Free, the best Cav of all time, before Lebron?
Or was that Mark Price? Craigh Ehlo? Brad Daugherty?

Jakey
01-11-2010, 09:49 PM
The Steelers NEED a safety! This raft is playing very well into our hands. If we miss out on Mays or Thomas (which i love), a guy like Jones in the 2nd would be awesome too. Loving this draft class. :D

JohnConner
01-11-2010, 10:45 PM
He has a lot of potential, but i personally like Nate Allen, Kurt Coleman & Kyle McCarthy better then him. They all had better college career's then Jones hands down, and to be honest, I really don't think Jones has an athletic advantage on any of them.

descendency
01-11-2010, 10:58 PM
As a late first rounder, high second rounder being the 3rd or 4th safety in this draft, I think he should have stayed. Who is going to be the top safety in 2011?

BadHabitz
01-11-2010, 11:09 PM
He has a lot of potential, but i personally like Nate Allen, Kurt Coleman & Kyle McCarthy better then him. They all had better college career's then Jones hands down, and to be honest, I really don't think Jones has an athletic advantage on any of them.

So the fact that he is a two sport star or the fact that a 6-2, 230 pound human being can basically catch up to Darren McFadden from behind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0HOnA5P0I&feature=related) is not athletically impressive enough to separate him from the players you mentioned?

One can question many things about Chad Jones, but I thought his rare athleticism was apparent.

LickaMahfeetz
01-12-2010, 02:22 AM
So the fact that he is a two sport star or the fact that a 6-2, 230 pound human being can basically catch up to Darren McFadden from behind (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY0HOnA5P0I&feature=related) is not athletically impressive enough to separate him from the players you mentioned?

One can question many things about Chad Jones, but I thought his rare athleticism was apparent.
His teammates at LSU refer to him as the most athletic guy on the team. Speaks volumes imo.

foozball
01-13-2010, 01:29 AM
Jones' father says he expects Chad to be a 3rd rounder with a possibility to be a 2nd rounder after the combine. Said he's confident in his son's athleticism and that there aren't too many athletes like him.

LickaMahfeetz
01-13-2010, 01:53 AM
Jones' father says he expects Chad to be a 3rd rounder with a possibility to be a 2nd rounder after the combine. Said he's confident in his son's athleticism and that there aren't too many athletes like him.
Sounds about right from where I'm sitting.

St.Pack
01-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Chad Jones is a clone of the late Sean Taylor...6-2 1/2 220+, 4.50 -4.58 forty with outstanding range, flexibility and ball skills as well as being eager to take anyone’s head off at anytime. Like most of the talent at LSU, he was never used correctly. Much more suited for the NFL game then the over hyped Taylor Mays (stiff and no where near a 4.3 forty)...remember Darnell Bing anyone?

tjsunstein
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Can anyone say underrated?

MizzouBig12
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I think that Jones would do well in a Steelers-type 3-4 defense where the safeties are not pinned down with "SS" and "FS" designations, and have more freedom to be playmakers. In this environment, he could be a real steal in the draft. Less so in a typical 4-3 defense.

terribletowel39
01-14-2010, 12:49 PM
I would have orgasms, yes multiple, if the Steelers landed him in the 2nd. Especially given that he will more than definitely sit a year or two behind the great Polamalu to realize his max potential, which is out of this world.

Such an amazing athlete.

Saints-Tigers
01-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Don't be surprised if he outperforms Mays at the combine. I think he could really shock us a lot like LaRon Landry did.

Could really help his stock if he has a more impressive combine than Taylor, he already has better production to back it up as well.

Awesome safety class.

Babylon
01-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Don't be surprised if he outperforms Mays at the combine. I think he could really shock us a lot like LaRon Landry did.

Could really help his stock if he has a more impressive combine than Taylor, he already has better production to back it up as well.

Awesome safety class.

Not sure he has better production, not in the tackle numbers. You may be able to make a case against Taylor Mays but basing it on the combine i think anyone is going to lose that argument.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-14-2010, 07:33 PM
Chad Jones is a clone of the late Sean Taylor...6-2 1/2 220+, 4.50 -4.58 forty with outstanding range, flexibility and ball skills as well as being eager to take anyone’s head off at anytime. Like most of the talent at LSU, he was never used correctly. Much more suited for the NFL game then the over hyped Taylor Mays (stiff and no where near a 4.3 forty)...remember Darnell Bing anyone?

I'm sorry I'm a huge Chad Jones fan and he is my #3 safety behind Berry and Earl, but sorry Chad Jones is no where near Sean Taylor range. I don't care about 40 times, he does not cover field like Sean Taylor even at the U, and you can't compare their in air ability. Sean Taylor was like Ben Wallace going up for a rebound when a ball was in the air. Chad Jones is more Laron Landry if anything. He's a compact hitting machine with good top end speed.