PDA

View Full Version : who are the best KICK RETURNER prospects?

J-Mike88
01-11-2010, 10:30 PM
I know some names like Dexter and Devine, who are lethal.
Does Devine remind anyone of Devin Hester as a punt returner?

Around the nation though, there have to be some electric kick returners.
Can you guys give us some names or rankings who you think are the best K/P returners coming out?

My team had Jordy Nelson back there and he was slower than a gazelle bringing it out, and slipped on the 15 yard line all 3 times in the first 5 minutes he had kick return opportunities thanks to our quick 14-point donation early. I want the next Josh Cribbs. I don't even remember when he was drafted.

JohnConner
01-11-2010, 10:38 PM
I think Jordan Shipley should get a good long look, with his short stride, his quickness, and change of direction skills, he should translate to the NFL quite nicely. Very curious about what he will run in the 40. If he runs high 4.3 to low 4.4, his stock should skyrocket.

murdamal86
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Javier Arenas and Brandon James come to mind for me. I know there are more that other people will name though

phlysac
01-11-2010, 10:50 PM
Just a few...

CJ Spiller
Dez Bryant
Golden Tate
Mardy Gilyard
Perrish Cox
Jahvid Best
Kyle Wilson
Jordan Shipley
Jacoby Ford
Javier Arenas
Akwasi Owusu-Onsah

Quite a few Late Round/UDFA's as well as those I forgot.

But let's not forget this man.... LeRoy Vann :)

jballa838
01-11-2010, 11:17 PM
my top 5:
Spiller
Holliday
Wilson
Bryant
Arenas

nobody would kick to either of the top two names ever.

Duffman57
01-12-2010, 12:19 AM
My top 3 include, in no particular order, Brandon Banks, Trindon Holliday and CJ Spiller. I'm not too sure how well Banks is going to do just because he is only about 150 or 160 lbs, though he is only 5'7". The guy who i expect to be a stud next year is Jeff Demps.

TACKLE
01-12-2010, 12:58 AM
My team had Jordy Nelson back there and he was slower than a gazelle bringing it out, and slipped on the 15 yard line all 3 times in the first 5 minutes he had kick return opportunities thanks to our quick 14-point donation early. I want the next Josh Cribbs. I don't even remember when he was drafted.

Blasphemy! You are new here so I'll give you a break. Never talk down about our lord and savior, Jordy Nelson.

As far as KR's are concerned, Antonio Brown from CMU is very explosive and has big play ability. He sees the field very well with the ball in his hands. He has been a very productive player for the Chips both as a KR and a WR. Could be a nice pickup in the mid rounds.

LickaMahfeetz
01-12-2010, 02:19 AM
Posted this on another forum about three weeks ago. Keep in mind several of these guys just were flat out avoided by some teams throughout the year because they were that effective/lethal.

Kick Returners

WR/CB Ray Fisher Indiana (Undrafted) - 5'9" 172 lbs. 17 att, 37.3 avg, 2 TD.
RB CJ Spiller Clemson (1st) - 21 att, 33.7 avg, 4 TD.
WR Brandon Banks Kansas St. (6th/7th) - 5'7" 150 lbs. 28.9 avg, 4 TD.
WR Marshawn Gilyard Cincinnati (2nd/3rd) - 6'1" 180lbs. 31.5 avg, 2 TD.
CB Javier Arenas Alabama (2nd/3rd) - 5'9" 200lbs. 19 att, 29.0 avg, 0 TD.
RB Joe McKnight USC - 6'0" 180 lbs. 4 att, 37 avg.
* CB Devin McCourty Rutgers (3rd/4th) - 5'11" 190 lbs.
* RB Dexter McCluster Ole Miss (4th/5th) - 5'8" 165 lbs.
* RB Noel Devine - (4th/5th) - 5'8" 176 lbs.
* WR Tim Brown (4th/5th) - 5'8" 165 lbs.
* WR Jacoby Ford Clemson (5th/6th) - 5'1" 185 lbs.
* WR/RS Trindon Holliday LSU (5th/6th/7th) - 5'5" 160lbs.
RB/RS Brandon James Florida (6th/7th) - 5'7" 185lbs. 29 att, 26.7 avg, 1 TD.

Punt Returners

WR/RS Trindon Holliday LSU (5th/6th/7th) - 5'5" 160lbs. 18 att, 17.72 avg, 1 TD.
CB Javier Arenas Alabama (3rd) - 5'9" 200lbs. 29 att, 16.34 avg, 1 TD.
WR Emmanuel Sanders SMU (7th/UDFA) - 5'11" 180lbs. 16 att, 15.44, 1 TD.
WR Damian Williams USC (1st/2nd) - 6'1" 195lbs. 15.41 avg, 2 TD.
WR Jordan Shipley Texas (4th/5th) - 6'0" 195lbs. 12.96 avg, 2 TD.
WR Marshawn Gilyard Cincinnati (2nd/3rd) - 6'1" 180lbs. 16 att, 12.63 avg, 1 TD.
WR Kyle Williams Arizona St. (6th/7th) - 5'10" 180 lbs. 12 att, 9.96 avg, 0 TD.
WR Brandon Banks Kansas St. (6th/7th) - 5'7" 150 lbs. 17 att, 9.12 avg, 0 TD.
RB/RS Brandon James Florida (6th/7th) - 5'7" 185lbs. 33 att, 7.39 avg, 0 TD.

* guys with asterisks and no return stats are guys who have kick return experience or potential but didn't accumulate any stats there this year to speak of.

DJC
01-12-2010, 08:18 AM
Surprised only one person has mentioned LeRoy Vann. This dude was sick in college. He isn't going to be the fastest guy at the combine or anything, but he had something like 12 return touchdowns the past two seasons, and that's with teams starting not to kick to him. Even returned a punt to the house in the HBCU All Star game.

Addict
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM

You DARE take the name of Jordyzzz, our Lord and Savior, in vain? For this blasphemous act you sir, will burn in hell for all eternity.

How dare you sir. HOW DARE YOU.

fear the elf
01-12-2010, 10:27 AM
I want the next Josh Cribbs. I don't even remember when he was drafted.

He wasn't. The Browns signed him as an undrafted free agent in 2005.

RealityCheck
01-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I'd gladly take Arenas if he's available on the 4th.

princefielder28
01-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Surprised only one person has mentioned LeRoy Vann. This dude was sick in college. He isn't going to be the fastest guy at the combine or anything, but he had something like 12 return touchdowns the past two seasons, and that's with teams starting not to kick to him. Even returned a punt to the house in the HBCU All Star game.

LeRoy Vann was the first name that came to mind when I saw this thread

SeanTaylorRIP
01-12-2010, 12:28 PM
I'm actually a much bigger Arenas fan than most and I think his CB skills are being underrated. I'd actually give him a late 2nd-mid 3rd round value. I think people are looking at him too much as just a returner. I guess Chris Carr is the most heard comparison I've seen.

yourfavestoner
01-12-2010, 01:27 PM
Javier Arenas and Brandon James come to mind for me. I know there are more that other people will name though

Yup. These two will be drafted almost exclusively for their return ability. They're both great.

DraftBreakdown
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
Vann is one of my top sleepers as well. He will probably run in the high 4.4's so he won't might bot go until late or might not even get picked at all but I think he could make a team as a returner and have an impact.

LickaMahfeetz
01-12-2010, 04:23 PM
I'm actually a much bigger Arenas fan than most and I think his CB skills are being underrated. I'd actually give him a late 2nd-mid 3rd round value. I think people are looking at him too much as just a returner. I guess Chris Carr is the most heard comparison I've seen.
^ That.

I think it's the size that turns most people off.

Jakey
01-12-2010, 04:40 PM
Anyone got any info on LeMarcus Coker, from Hapmton? Seems like he could be a dangerous runner/returnman. Apparently ran a 4.28 last year, at 5'11" 210lbs.

tjsunstein
01-12-2010, 04:48 PM
Anyone got any info on LeMarcus Coker, from Hapmton? Seems like he could be a dangerous runner/returnman. Apparently ran a 4.28 last year, at 5'11" 210lbs.

17 Returns
308 Yards
0 TDs

Jakey
01-12-2010, 04:57 PM
17 Returns
308 Yards
0 TDs

Haha, okay not great then :p

CashmoneyDrew
01-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Lamarcus Coker could be worth a 7th/UDFA look for a team looking to take a small risk.

He was a beast as a freshman at Tennessee and has speed to burn, but he got kicked off the team cause he couldn't kick his pot habit.

The Tennessean wrote an article about him recently talking about how he's "turned his life around" and become more mature.

Plays similar to Ahmad Bradshaw.

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 06:03 PM
Not enough Brandon James love...my heart was in my throat every time he touched the ball back there.

DoughBoy
01-12-2010, 06:10 PM
Jeremy Kerley any good???

holt_bruce81
01-12-2010, 06:13 PM
What about Leroy Vann?

Granite he plays for Florida A&M so the competition isn't as good but he's had 11 total TD returns in the past 2 seasons (8 punt, 3 Kick) might be worth a 7th round selection.

J-Mike88
01-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Here's a test for you guys: Had any of you watched, or even heard of, Josh Cribbs in college? I admit the first time I heard about him was the first time he took one to the house for the Browns. I've never seen anyone better as a KR than him now.

How does a guy that great of a returner slip thru undrafted?

This Leroy Vann guy instrigues me from what a couple of you have said, but I can't recall ever seeing Florida A&M on TV so I wonder who and how anyone has seen him. If you have, edumacate us please.

Thanks for all the info on this thread gentlemen.
And thanks to the 78 guys who gave me those cool things, those reputation points. Who's leading?

The draft is all I have to look forward to now for 3 1/2 months now because my defense turned into moldy swiss cheese. Holes all over the place, and it stinks in the middle.

phlysac
01-12-2010, 09:49 PM
Here's a test for you guys: Had any of you watched, or even heard of, Josh Cribbs in college? I admit the first time I heard about him was the first time he took one to the house for the Browns. I've never seen anyone better as a KR than him now.

This Leroy Vann guy instrigues me from what a couple of you have said, but I can't recall ever seeing Florida A&M on TV so I wonder who and how anyone has seen him. If you have, edumacate us please.

And thanks to the 78 guys who gave me those cool things, those reputation points. Who's leading?

The draft is all I have to look forward to now for 3 1/2 months now because my defense turned into moldy swiss cheese. Holes all over the place, and it stinks in the middle.

I watched Josh Cribbs play quite a few times being close geographically to Kent State and getting alot of MAC games on local cable. Cribbs was the QB at Kent State and if my memory serves me correctly I don't believe he returned kicks for them.I seem to remember him actually punting for them, however.

As for Leroy Vann... I first heard of him VERY early this year when ESPN did a feature highlight on him. I'm pretty sure he was spotlighted on First Take, as well.

baronzeus
01-13-2010, 11:45 AM
What about Chris Owusu from Stanford? Teams generally never kicked to him.

phlysac
01-13-2010, 05:20 PM
What about Chris Owusu from Stanford? Teams generally never kicked to him.

He's a sophomore.

J-Mike88
01-14-2010, 04:11 PM
Who's our LSU expert here?

Does anyone think Trindon Holliday could perhaps be a Dante Hall return wizard in the NFL?

nhlkdog411
01-14-2010, 04:46 PM

He was the QB, he didn't return afaik.

LizardState
01-15-2010, 03:37 PM
I'd gladly take Arenas if he's available on the 4th.

Arenas set the career SEC return yardage rcd. this season.

D-Unit
01-15-2010, 03:39 PM
Akwasi Owusu-Onsah... like Leodis McKelvin in the return game.

RealityCheck
01-15-2010, 03:50 PM
Jeremy Kerley any good???
That kid is good. Is he a senior?

Shere Khan
01-16-2010, 10:11 AM
I know some names like Dexter and Devine, who are lethal.
Does Devine remind anyone of Devin Hester as a punt returner?

Around the nation though, there have to be some electric kick returners.
Can you guys give us some names or rankings who you think are the best K/P returners coming out?

Two things:

First, Gazelles aren't slow. So yes, he would be slower than a Gazelle.
Two, Cribbs wasn't drafted. He was a UFA from Kent State.

thebow305
01-16-2010, 10:47 AM
IMO Vann is a little overrated. He is a good returner, but not a great one. He dominated inferior competition and special teams units. When we (Miami) played FAMU this year, he was a complete non-factor. And we had below average special teams coverage all year.