PDA

View Full Version : The Psychology Thread

vikes_28
01-13-2010, 03:04 AM
I know there is a dreams thread somewhere. But I figure, since I am so into psychology, I should start a thread about it, and discuss it with my NFLDC brethren. So here are some things that I constantly ponder in my head. And make fun of me if you want, but these are just some things that really make my mind buzz. And by buzz I mean have it go in 8000000000 different directions.

1. Am I the only person in this world? Are the people around me only figments of my imagination? Why do the people that are around me act the way they do. I have faith that these people sharing my life with me are actually here, but how can i be sure? I've thought about this since I was a kid.

2. Do we talk to ourselves because we are lonely or because we are actively thinking about something. Why is it we sit and have conversations with ourselves? IMO, its because when we are talking to ourselves, about something that may be bothering us, we understand what's going on. Does that make ourselves feel better about it? Because it's comforting that WE know WHY we are having this problem?

3. Do ghosts only exist if we believe in them? I have a belief in spirits. But not things like Casper the friendly ghost. I believe that there are spirits out there that are here to look over us (as I wrote that I feel like I'm being watched...lol). But they are never out there to hurt us.

4. How do other people see, hear, feel, smell, and taste things? I've always wondered what things look like from another person's point of view. Or what something else feels like. Is that book in front of you orange? Or is it green? How does the eye of another see it? When I taste chicken, does it taste the same in everyone else's mouth? Or does it taste like beef or pork? What is the texture of that table top? Is it smooth? Rugged? Hard? Soft?

5. My last and most thoughtful...thought. This one may sound weird to some. But when we die, do we become someone else? Do we become something else? Or do we become nothing. Why would we forget about our past life? Why couldn't we remember it and enlighten others about it?

BeerBaron
01-13-2010, 03:14 AM
I'm very tired atm or else I'd try to tackle more as I think about random things like this all the time, but I've just got something to add to #4. This is something I've discussed with friends in the past, made me think of it.

What if everyone sees the world in different colors? For example, what the "green" I see, is actually the "red" everyone else sees and visa versa? We would really have no way of ever knowing without literally seeing the world through another's eyes and processing it the same way as their brain does....I think it's just one of those things we assume is the same for everyone because we have no means to test it to ever be sure...

One could drive himself to madness thinking too deeply about some of this stuff...

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 05:41 AM
http://5.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kukyluEgXw1qzllano1_500.jpg

MetSox17
01-13-2010, 06:40 AM
I hate to quote a movie about your #3, but in The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Father Moore put it best when he said "Demons exist whether you believe it or not." I've heard stories from many people, there's real life exorcisms and i've even had a few paranormal encounters myself. I have no doubt in my mind whatsoever that there is spirits/ghosts/demons, whatever you want to call them, and not all of them are simply watching over us with good intentions.

It's hard to have that conversation without getting too much into religion, but throw my hat into the "believer" ring.

The Unseen
01-13-2010, 10:26 AM
1, 3, and 5 are philosophy, although 3 and 5 border on religion. Psychology can say some things about them, but they're actually philosophy.

Don't mean to hack your thread, but it should be kept in mind that those aren't the domain of psychology.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
01-13-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't understand the we see different colors thing. I mean if I am sitting in a room with a friend and I say what color is this book and he says green and I see green doesn't that prove we see the same colors????

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I'll jump in on #3 also. Likewise, not trying to get too much into religion, but There is nothing in the bible that indicates there are ghost;once you did you go to heaven or hell - no coming back. Demons however are a different story. I too have seen some pretty weird **** in regards to psychic/paranormal stuff, so I have to believe that demons do exist.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2010, 10:44 AM
I don't understand the we see different colors thing. I mean if I am sitting in a room with a friend and I say what color is this book and he says green and I see green doesn't that prove we see the same colors????
basically, if the red u see is the same red as i see.

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 11:23 AM
Not necessarily even that. If you have been told your whole life that this is red but I have been told this is red it may mean that if you looked at things through my eyes, an apple would be this color.

Edit: We do however know this is not the case as rods and cones work the same in your eyes as they do in mine.

Gay Ork Wang
01-13-2010, 11:33 AM
Not necessarily even that. If you have been told your whole life that this is red but I have been told this is red it may mean that if you looked at things through my eyes, an apple would be this color.

Edit: We do however know this is not the case as rods and cones work the same in your eyes as they do in mine.
but whats with the perception of your brain?

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 11:57 AM
but whats with the perception of your brain?

Well that's why the question exists at all. If we changed the name of a color, would that change the color? If everyone on earth was convinced this is yellow then it would be.

vikes_28
01-13-2010, 12:31 PM
The reason I say these things are "psychology" is because its what rattles my brain. Naturally we all have crazy outlandish thoughts. Kind of like all the thoughts I explained. I said nothing about religion. This doesn't have to be all about thoughts, it can be about dreams, conditioning theories, and the brain. I mean if this thread gets locked, I'll understand why. But I do not think it should.

So don't ONLY discuss what I have thought out. Put crazy thoughts, dreams, or just things about psychology you have to think about.

Caddy
01-13-2010, 01:54 PM
You're so wise vikes...

vikes_28
01-13-2010, 02:04 PM
You know, I didn't even have to look at this thread to know what you were going to say Caddy. You're kind of like Bos.

yo123
01-13-2010, 03:17 PM
http://static.funnyjunk.com/pictures/philosoraptor0.jpg

Halsey
01-13-2010, 03:33 PM
Well, I'm a psych student and I'm going to use this thread to tell a few people about a common misconception. For some reason it's common to believe that schizophrenia is the same thing as having multiple personalities. Not true. Having 'multiple personalities is termed "dissociative identity disorder" or sometimes called "multiple personality disorder". Schizophrenia is a different mental disorder that includes symptoms like extreme paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, etc.

gsorace
01-13-2010, 04:00 PM
I don't believe in anything supernatural and I think it's kind of ridiculous that other people do.

The Unseen
01-13-2010, 04:03 PM
I don't believe in anything supernatural and I think it's kind of ridiculous that other people do.

proof why this isn't a psychology thread. if you want a psychology thread, listen to this guy:

Well, I'm a psych student and I'm going to use this thread to tell a few people about a common misconception. For some reason it's common to believe that schizophrenia is the same thing as having multiple personalities. Not true. Having 'multiple personalities is termed "dissociative identity disorder" or sometimes called "multiple personality disorder". Schizophrenia is a different mental disorder that includes symptoms like extreme paranoia, delusions, hallucinations, etc.

DoughBoy
01-13-2010, 04:22 PM

I have seen some weird stuff, I know it may have been my head or something playing tricks with me, but sane people do see things that make them belive in supernatural stuff.

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 04:26 PM
I'm curious as to what all falls under your umbrella of supernatural.

DoughBoy
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM
You talking to me Willis?

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 04:37 PM
No, gsorace. But anyone can answer what "supernatural" occurrences they give credence to and which ones they don't.

tjsunstein
01-13-2010, 04:48 PM
I had the all too common dream the other night. Teeth falling out, one by one. Discuss.

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 04:53 PM
From http://www.dreammoods.com/cgibin/teethdreams.pl?method=exact&header=dreamid&search=teethintro

One theory is that dreams about your teeth reflect your anxiety about your appearance and how others perceive you. Sadly, we live in a world where good looks are valued highly and your teeth play an important role in conveying that image. Teeth are used in the game of flirtations, whether it be a dazzling and gleaming smile or affectionate necking. These dreams may stem from a fear of your sexual impotence or the consequences of getting old. Teeth are an important feature of our attractiveness and presentation to others. Everybody worries about how they appear to others. Caring about our appearance is natural and healthy.

Another rationalization for these falling teeth dream may be rooted in your fear of being embarrassed or making a fool of yourself in some specific situation. These dreams are an over-exaggeration of your worries and anxiety.

Teeth are used to bite, tear, chew and gnaw. In this regard, teeth represent power. And the loss of teeth in your dream may be from a sense of powerlessness.

gsorace
01-13-2010, 05:13 PM
su⋅per⋅nat⋅u⋅ral
–adjective

of, pertaining to, or being above or beyond what is natural; unexplainable by natural law or phenomena

Basically ghosts, spirits, deities and other things there are no evidence for that people seem to think exist

CJSchneider
01-13-2010, 05:16 PM
What about psychics and ufo's, what are your thoughts on those?

BeerBaron
01-13-2010, 05:17 PM
I had the all too common dream the other night. Teeth falling out, one by one. Discuss.

I had one last night where I was in a foreign city being paid by a man to shoot large black foxes that were attacking his house. I had a rifle and was shooting them from a window a few stories up (it was a big mansion like house.) But the foxes started getting smart and staying hidden, so I went and found the houses owner and asked him about it. We walked through this foreign town and he was speaking with a heavy accent, like Russian or something similar, and we stopped at this restaurant with big glass windows. While inside, a car drove through the window trapping everyone in side....I can't remember anything else.

It was just a strange and really vivid one...I haven't had a dream that I can remember in at least a few weeks.

gsorace
01-13-2010, 05:23 PM
What about psychics and ufo's, what are your thoughts on those?

I think anyone who claims they're a psychic is a liar (or insane) and while there might be alien life on other planets, I don't believe they are visiting earth in space ships.

The Unseen
01-13-2010, 05:50 PM
Yes, dreams.

My issue lately is that my dreams have not been very vivid for awhile now. I used to be engulfed in dreams, like they were almost real to me. Now they are very fuzzy things in my brain that I can think of as dreams while dreaming them, and they don't even feel like dreams...they're kind of like picturing things in my head more than anything. Also, I don't get them as often, which is probably a consequence of them being less vivid in that I forget about even having them.

DoughBoy
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
It is very rare that I can remember my dreams. If I do it is usally about sex or zombies.

Brothgar
01-13-2010, 06:51 PM
I've read that dreams are often your subconsious trying to tell you something. It is important to look for symolism in your dreams to tell you what to or what you think you should do.

vikes_28
01-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Has anyone ever had a dream where they walk into public completely nakedsauce and nobody noticed but you? I have those all the time and I'm the only one that is A. Ever naked, and B. The only one that notices.

The Unseen
01-13-2010, 09:58 PM
holy **** I have too.

holt_bruce81
01-13-2010, 10:06 PM
I recently had a dream that I was just going around giving everyone the finger.

Then my brother threw me in a room and said something like "so if your only gonna need one finger"......then chopped off the rest of my fingers but my middle finger.

It's really the 1st dream I actually could remember having in a long time.

Stranger
01-13-2010, 10:07 PM
I have always wanted to be able to lucid dream regularly. I have had a few in my life but they are always fairly short lived.

Also cognitive neuroscience is the sexiest part of psychology. Reading about Qualia and the explanatory gap is always interesting.

The Unseen
01-13-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm actually reading something for one of my classes that says that psychiatry has actual noticeable physical effects. People with certain types of depression that involve blocking out memories have smaller hippocampi, and when it's cured the hippocampi can grow larger again. Or something like that - I'm going to read it in more detail soon because I have to do a minor project on it.

tjsunstein
01-13-2010, 10:37 PM
I've been having dreams that actually wake me up because they seem so real. I don't usually remember them. Except for this one, which is weird.

It was me and two girls and we smoked in my car in front of my house. We then got out and went to go into my house, mind you we're high. I saw a light go on in my house and it freaked me out so we ran to some hotel. (There aren't any hotels within a 3 mile radius of me but this one happened to be right down the street.) We go into a room that's already being stayed in by someone but they aren't currently there. I look through the fridge as they sit on the bed. (None of what they did was sexual.) This is where it gets fuzzy. I remember getting a blue gatorade (why blue? idk.) and offering them one. I sit on the bed in between them and watch tv. We hear footsteps and it startles me so I get up and go to the door. It's one of the girls ex boyfriends and his family. They happen to be the ones staying in that room. I remember being asked to leave and looking back at the girls and they're just laughing. That's where it cuts off for me. I think something bad was going to happen to either me or the girls because it immediately woke me up. It's odd how I don't remember what it was though.

wogitalia
01-13-2010, 10:53 PM
We would really have no way of ever knowing without literally seeing the world through another's eyes and processing it the same way as their brain does....I think it's just one of those things we assume is the same for everyone because we have no means to test it to ever be sure...

I disagree on this one...

But it makes me think of a funny little tale. I have a mate that I have know for over 10 years and only discovered in the last year is colourblind because I said look at the girl in the green dress and he started spinning his head trying to find her when she was on the path in front of us.

That said, even a colourblind guy knows what green and red are, even if they can't see the actual colours.

As for supernatural, for me it is how Murphy's Law always seems to hold true. Me and my housemate were playing some Mario Kart Wii online the other night, essentially the track is picked at random, but we both didn't like the same track, that one other player was picking, so 1 in 12 chance of getting the only track we don't like(slightly higher because we were both random but whatever). We got that same track 4 times in 5 races.

Also... there seems to be a microphone in our roof that sends our comments to whatever sport is currently on the TV, we will literally say word for word the same thing as the commentators just before it happens and it is eery. We spent a weekend watching Aussie Rules and had 100+ moments where it happened, which is just scary.

That said, don't really believe in the supernatural, everything I have seen I can explain basically, well except for how some guys like fat chicks... but perhaps that is more to do with psychology than anything I have written...

djp
01-26-2010, 06:30 PM
The wonders of the human brain.. just watched this video on YouTube.. Brain plasticity is f'ing amazing

TSu9HGnlMV0

As far as dreams go, the dreams being symbolic of something is more of a Freud thing than anything else, google Freud's wish-fulfillment theory if you wanna learn more. Most scientists believe it's a bunch of bologna, however.