PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell, New DC

diabsoule
01-14-2010, 10:40 AM
Just found out on ESPN. Former Buffalo Bills DC and interim HC Perry Fewell has been made the new Giants DC. Thought you guys would be interested.

Damix
01-14-2010, 10:43 AM
Well, I hope he doesn't expect to run the same D as Buffalo

Edit: article http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4825410

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 11:00 AM
I don't like this. Doesn't he only run a Cover 2 base defense?

scottyboy
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
http://h.imagehost.org/0024/NotSureIfWant.jpg

Splat
01-14-2010, 11:05 AM
I don't think he is that bad of a pick up he will have alot better talent to work with the G-Men.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 11:19 AM
I'm furious right now. Livid. Every word for pissed off you can think of.

This is terrible. I hate Cover 2. I despise Cover 2. This was a horrible hire. It doesn't fit our team at all. If this doesn't work, Coughlin should get fired next year.

I don't even want to talk about defense until after next year is over. I'm disgusted right now. I just hope our offense can carry us. I'm sick to my stomach right now.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 11:25 AM
Our 2 best corners are both physical man to man guys and yet we hire Fewell. He better change his ways.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 11:35 AM
He won't. They never do. As a coordinator, you can't just change your ways, you do what you like doing and thats that.

We've been down this road with Sheridan. You can't ask a guy to run another guy's system. They're gonna run what they like. Bc thats what they know.

Our defense is going to suck next year.

redbills
01-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Well your DBs should have a lot of picks now. And you will be drafting 8 DBs a year now too.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 12:03 PM
Why do we insist on hiring guys that go against our personnel? Makes 0 sense.

Number 10
01-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Guys you are overreacting to the Cover 2 thing.

We are not running the scheme that Tampa or Indy runs. There will be elements of that scheme implemented but if you watch what we did under Spags, we ran some cover 2 every week.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 12:13 PM

We are not running the scheme that Tampa or Indy runs. There will be elements of that scheme implemented but if you watch what we did under Spags, we ran some cover 2 every week.

How could you possibly know this? We have to look at the track record of Fewell and he runs the system that Lovie Smith ran. There will be some man obviously but the majority will be that zone. If he changes great but I just don't see it.

Forenci
01-14-2010, 12:14 PM

This is terrible. I hate Cover 2. I despise Cover 2. This was a horrible hire. It doesn't fit our team at all. If this doesn't work, Coughlin should get fired next year.

I don't even want to talk about defense until after next year is over. I'm disgusted right now. I just hope our offense can carry us. I'm sick to my stomach right now.

Relax, heh. I'm not thrilled about it but I'm going to give him a chance and see what he can do. Plus I thought a lot of the Bills players really liked him? Or am I mistaken there?

Either way I'm taking the wait and see approach. Like Jughead said, he's not a Tampa 2 guy by any means.

I'm curious to know his philosophy on blitzing and his pressure schemes.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 12:15 PM
Of course I'm going to give him a chance but on first glance I don't like it. Isn't he a booth guy also which as we know our players have a problem with?

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I won't believe it until I see the product on the field. We've all heard Sheridan say this and that, and when the time came to step up to the plate, did something different.

So even when Fewell says all the right things at his press conference, I won't care. I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm not expecting to be pleased, thats all I know right now.

Forenci
Of course I'm going to give him a chance but on first glance I don't like it. Isn't he a booth guy also which as we know our players have a problem with?

Like I said I'm not a huge fan and think their were a couple better choices out there that fit our style of defense, but I don't think it's the worst signing we could have made.

I know a lot of Giants fans were thinking pie in the sky with Fox but that was never happening and I don't really see that many options for us at DC. Especially if we exclude guys who have no experience at DC.

I just want to hear his philosophy and what he intends to do with our defense before I start freaking out about it. He might have some interesting new twists with our personnel or something.

Number 10
How could you possibly know this? We have to look at the track record of Fewell and he runs the system that Lovie Smith ran. There will be some man obviously but the majority will be that zone. If he changes great but I just don't see it.

I've watched the Bills plenty over the past two years and I assure you, they are not your typical Cover 2 defense. He switches it up as much as Spags did. A lot of it depends on personnel, and the Bills have tweaked their defensive personnel over the past couple of years and it was evident that Fewell played to the players strengths. I've seen them plenty of schemes and thats why I feel this is a good hire. The Giants defensive personnel is diverse and it gives a lot of options. 2 things that are for certain with Fewell is that he won't be predictable and he won't be simple.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
What about his crappy run defenses? All personnel or more scheme #10?

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 12:23 PM
I've watched the Bills plenty over the past two years and I assure you, they are not your typical Cover 2 defense. He switches it up as much as Spags did. A lot of it depends on personnel, and the Bills have tweaked their defensive personnel over the past couple of years and it was evident that Fewell played to the players strengths. I've seen them plenty of schemes and thats why I feel this is a good hire. The Giants defensive personnel is diverse and it gives a lot of options. 2 things that are for certain with Fewell is that he won't be predictable and he won't be simple.

I hope this is the case, believe me I really do.

I just don't trust it right now.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 12:25 PM
Like I said I'm not a huge fan and think their were a couple better choices out there that fit our style of defense, but I don't think it's the worst signing we could have made.

I know a lot of Giants fans were thinking pie in the sky with Fox but that was never happening and I don't really see that many options for us at DC. Especially if we exclude guys who have no experience at DC.

I just want to hear his philosophy and what he intends to do with our defense before I start freaking out about it. He might have some interesting new twists with our personnel or something.

Admittedley I had no idea who we should have hired for DC but Fewell would have been on the lower end of that list. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say. We'll also get a clue of the direction he might want to go in when the draft rolls around.

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 12:29 PM
this article makes me feel a lot better about the hire, but i'm still a little unsure about it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-bears-perry-fewell-jan10,0,6949436.story

If what that article says is true, then this is a great hire. But if its just fluff to hype up a guy, then its not.

Number 10
01-14-2010, 12:33 PM

There is no way someone on a message board can give a valid answer for that without being in the film rooms and meetings. But from what I saw, the Bills were probably the worst tackling team in football other than Detroit and St. Louis. I thought the Giants were a bad tackling defense...but the Bills were scary bad.

Run defense is analyzed to a point where it makes me sick sometimes. It is one of the more simple elements to the game. It centers around gap control and ability to tackle on initial contact. So with that said, I am under the impression that their run defense issues falls on the players more than the scheme. Am I 100% right? No way to answer that. But tackling is such an overlooked element to the game in the fans eyes and it is sickening. Watch the Vikings and Jets this weekend and you will see what I mean.

Number 10
01-14-2010, 12:34 PM
Honestly...forget the articles. Forget the interview with the media that is coming up. Forget the mini-camp and training camp reports.

You will not be able to evaluate the scheme until next fall. End of discussion.

Forenci
01-14-2010, 12:35 PM
Admittedley I had no idea who we should have hired for DC but Fewell would have been on the lower end of that list. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say. We'll also get a clue of the direction he might want to go in when the draft rolls around.

Honestly, my top guy would have probably been Will Muschamp. I think he'd be terrific but I don't think he'd have ever left the chance to coach Texas for the sake of being a defensive coordinator.

I mean the Bills were terrific against the pass, plus they create a ton of turnovers and give up very few big plays. All good things in my book, just based off looking over the team defense statistics and having seen the Bills play about 3 games this year. Not enough to get a feel but I felt like they were always swarming around the ball.

Our biggest problem is we need to plug in some good DT's or it won't matter who we get as DC, we'll still be ran over all game.

Forenci
01-14-2010, 12:43 PM
this article makes me feel a lot better about the hire, but i'm still a little unsure about it

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-10-bears-perry-fewell-jan10,0,6949436.story

If what that article says is true, then this is a great hire. But if its just fluff to hype up a guy, then its not.

Even if it is a fluff piece, it still has some interesting tidbits in it. Like for example the use of a "Bonzai' blitz. Something like that would probably work brilliantly for us.

Also it mentioned he isn't a calm/passive person which is a great thing as well. Plus just based off those quotes, the players all seemed to love him and he really has done some nice things with some of the safeties he's worked with. Hopefully he could do that with Kenny Phillips and maybe another safety we bring in.

Damix
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
Oh yea, this isn't done deal yet. Still weighing both offers.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 01:34 PM
This may not happen untill the weekend now. Fewell is still talking to Chicago and the Bills for the head coaching spot.

OSUGiants17
01-14-2010, 01:43 PM
This is the only reason why I would feel ok about this signing.
the 2008 Bills defense ranked 2nd in the AFC in negative yardage plays, recorded 7 games of holding opposing offenses to less than 100 yards rushing, finished 4th in the NFL in Red-Zone defense (41.8%), and allowed just 14 passing TDs all year.

If he changes from cover 2 to something else, this might not be the worst signing. I would still rather have John Fox

bigbluedefense
01-14-2010, 01:43 PM
Sounds like he's just sparking a bidding war for his services between NY and Chicago.

Chicago is notoriously cheap, and while NY isn't exactly Dallas or Washington, we do a decent job with pay.

So chances are he chooses NY. He also has more to work with technically in NY, and more freedom to do what he wants in NY instead of having to work under Lovie.

So NY makes much more sense for him.

OSUGiants17
01-14-2010, 01:54 PM
I just hope that who ever we sign, can light a fire under these guys asses and get them ready for next year.

Giantsfan1080
01-14-2010, 02:09 PM
Actually we're very cheap with our coaches. One of the reason we didn't hire Capers and supposedly one of the reasons Waufle was fired. He asked for more money.

BaLLiN
01-14-2010, 04:02 PM
i wouldnt mind this, i think Ross and Thomas would be pretty good in Cov 2 scheme, Webster probably could hold up.

His safety work is incredible though and that has been a glaring hole for awhile. As has DT, but don't we need more mobile LB's in a Cov 2? Boley would work but idk about Sintim or Goff, we'd most likely have to have Kehl start at SAM and draft a MLB.

Number 10
01-14-2010, 06:35 PM
I just watched the 3 Bills game I have on DVD...Bills' corners were in man coverage more often than not.

Something else I noticed...he doesn't play a left/right system. Corners and safeties appeared to be moved around based on matchups, something the Giants have rarely done over the past few years.

BaLLiN
01-14-2010, 08:04 PM
its official

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d815bbd4f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

BaLLiN
01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
apparently he has been under many schemes, which is very good for us, and that he will mold the scheme to his players, which i dont completely believe, but i do like the fact that he isn't predictable, takes chances.

The whole buddy buddy thing with players is not a great thing though.

Rosebud
01-15-2010, 06:04 PM
I like this hire. The Bills have done a great job adjusting their scheme to their personnel which I think is the key for someone working with a team that has this much talent.

Big_Pete
01-16-2010, 08:39 AM
here is a good article on Perry Fewell and may give a little idea of what we can expect

from http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/fewell_fits_bill_for_jints_KywMDnJwJSidLwOocPGibL

Fewell fits Bill for Giants
Giants Blog

By PAUL SCHWARTZ

Last Updated: 6:08 AM, January 16, 2010

Here is a warning for the Giants now that Perry Fewell is running the defense: You do something dumb, watch out.

"If you get out there and consistently make mistakes, he's going to blow up," Bills safety George Wilson told The Post. "He doesn't like repetitive mistakes. He doesn't like silly mistakes. Hitting a guy out of bounds and getting a penalty. I saw that happen in one of our games this year -- he just went berserk.

"We're battling for field position, the guy was a veteran guy, Drayton Florence, and he should have known better, and Perry just chewed [him] out. Sometimes as players we need that. Perry does a good job of knowing when to get in your face and when to step back and do some positive reinforcement. He does a good job of doing a balancing act."

Fewell, 47, brings that act to the Giants after he was hired Thursday as the team's new defensive coordinator, replacing Bill Sheridan, who was fired after one miserable season. As so often is the case in these situations, the newcomer is lauded as being so very different from the coach he replaces.

Sheridan was reserved and studious. Fewell -- the defensive coordinator in Buffalo the past four years -- is described as emotional and inspiring, though he calls the game from the quiet of the press box rather than the tumult of the sideline.

"He's an upbeat guy. He's a very optimistic guy, doesn't try to find the bad in everything," said Wilson, who completed his fifth year with the Bills. "You can talk to him about football, you can talk to him about life. The guys respect him the in the locker room, and at the end of the day, that's what you have to have as a coach. They will battle for him and lay their bodies on the line for him.

"He's definitely a fiery guy that you can tell he has a passion for the game, that he wishes he could get out there and play. He always talks to us, refers back to '79. He may see somebody make a good play and he'll joke around and say, 'Ah, man, I could do that back in '79.' I have a lot of love for Perry."

Fewell was a defensive back at Lenoir-Rhyne in North Carolina. He was part of coach Tom Coughlin's staff for five years in Jacksonville; if Coughlin trusts him to run the deteriorated Giants defense you know Fewell's work ethic cannot be questioned.

This past November, Fewell received an unexpected promotion when he was named interim head coach following Dick Jauron's firing. The Bills went 3-4 in their last seven games --three of the losses were by seven or fewer points -- and Fewell grew in the job.

"He was put into a tough spot, having to step in for his friend, Coach Jauron," Wilson said. "One thing about Perry, from the first time he addressed the team, the first time he stepped before us, he took ownership of the team. He changed the expectations. I think it was a great experience for him. I know the guys in our locker room rallied behind him."

Fewell worked with Lovie Smith with the Rams and Bears in the Tampa Two defense that favored zone coverage, but Wilson says Fewell's nature is to scheme aggressively with a single-high safety and plenty of pressure.

"He definitely likes to get after the quarterback," Wilson said. "We had a lot of interceptions. We made progress in sacks. He's definitely an aggressive coordinator. He'll try to get a feel for what the offense is trying to do in the first drive of the game, and then he'll make an adjustment. He'll get a feel for the game and he'll start to dial 'em up."

Number 10
01-16-2010, 10:35 AM
So after reading articles and listening to interviews on top of what I already thought of Fewell, I think its safe to say the intitial reaction by many with the Cover 2 talk was incorrect.

Bills2083
01-16-2010, 10:47 AM

We had our 4th-string LBs playing by the end of the season.
Our starters have problems tackling, so if our 4th-stringers are starting, then they're not gonna do too well

Big_Pete
01-16-2010, 04:25 PM
So after reading articles and listening to interviews on top of what I already thought of Fewell, I think its safe to say the intitial reaction by many with the Cover 2 talk was incorrect.

I think that is it exactly, I actually think Fewell is a good fit

It is worth remembering that he was working within Lovie's system in St Louis and Chicago abd Jauron's system in Buffalo

sounds to me like he will be something like spags in his coaching style

it will be interesting to see what schemes he comes up with

NY+Giants=NYG
01-17-2010, 01:21 AM

Haqhahahah I am very skeptical of this hire too! But i know how much YOU would hate this hire! Haha

Remember these words ..

Collison
Funnel
Sink

: P

NY+Giants=NYG
01-17-2010, 01:24 AM

True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.

Rosebud
01-17-2010, 03:12 AM
True, but still damn funny to see people react this way, and mind you not a fanof this hire, but I will remain patient, but still skeptical at the same time until he proves to fix this mess.

I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-17-2010, 03:27 AM
I share BBD's disgust with the tampa-2 scheme to a degree but I like this hire, buffalo's D certainly wasn't the painful traditional tampa-2 with the varied coverages and pressure and they didn't have half of the pass rushing talent we'll have for him to use. I like this hire as long as he can still bond with our players despite him being a booth guy.

Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.

Rosebud
01-17-2010, 03:38 AM
Booth guy or not means nothing. Fans make too much of it. I, personally, am a booth guy myself. I know in the future no matter where i coach I want to be up in booth on game days. It's a personal preference.

I hate the Tampa 2 defense myself, so not happy with this hire, but I will save my judgement until I have seen his defense. Overall I am getting used to not liking our hires. Huffy, Lewis, and Sheridan I disliked as well. But I want to see this guy run his scheme before i made a decision. But right away, I can tell I am no a fan of the system, but now the remaining thing is to see it in action before i make a final opinion on it.

I only mention because as has been mentioned our players have struggled to bond with booth guys before, although Pewell has a great relationship with his guys in buffalo so hopefully that won't ever be a problem.

As for his style I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a Tampa 2 guy, yes he's run that for lovie and jauron to a degree, but he definitely mixed his coverages plenty and brought pressure. The key though is he adapts to his talent which with our pass rushers should mean an even more aggressive scheme.

NY+Giants=NYG
01-18-2010, 05:08 AM
I only mention because as has been mentioned our players have struggled to bond with booth guys before, although Pewell has a great relationship with his guys in buffalo so hopefully that won't ever be a problem.

As for his style I don't think it's fair to characterize him as a Tampa 2 guy, yes he's run that for lovie and jauron to a degree, but he definitely mixed his coverages plenty and brought pressure. The key though is he adapts to his talent which with our pass rushers should mean an even more aggressive scheme.

Who were the other booth coaches? Lewis, Spags, Huffy, Kildrive, and Sheridan were all on the sidelines. Plus that issue over being on the field or up top is overrated. Players may have a preference but in the end it's up to the coordinator. If the HC insists on where the OC/DC is then he has last say.

Play Hard
01-19-2010, 09:23 PM
So what was so bad about Wauffel and paying him more money. This years problem were pretty much due to injuries no ?

Big_Pete
01-20-2010, 03:59 AM
So what was so bad about Wauffel and paying him more money. This years problem were pretty much due to injuries no ?

according to Mike Garfolo this may be why

part of an article from http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2010/01/ny_giants_sign_tight_end_carso.html

by Mike Garafolo

NFL.com is reporting former Giants DL coach Mike Waufle will interview with the Raiders this week after chatting with the Redskins last week.

In continuing to unearth reasons for Waufle's departure from the Giants (in addition to his annual gripes about a lack of money and respect from the team), I've picked up on the sound of rumblings the Giants believed he simply got too close to his players and wasn't hard enough on them. This explains why the players loved him, of course, but also why he'd be nudged out the door while the rest of the staff has remained intact.

Think about it: in the preseason Umenyiora left a team meeting after being criticized by defensive coordinator Bill Sheridan for a game in which he graded out well. Who provided those grades? Waufle.

And then, Umenyiora was benched for failing to play the run well enough. Umenyiora clarified recently it was Tom Coughlin who was the force behind the benching. Umenyiora, meanwhile, believed he was doing just fine. Perhaps Waufle was reinforcing his player's belief he wasn't to blame as much as others made it seem. Sounds like that's the kind of stuff that was going on behind the scenes, and apparently played a huge part in the "performance reasons" for Waufle's dismissal to which I alluded in the last entry I wrote on him.

In any case, the Giants have moved on and have yet to fill Waufle's spot. Perhaps Bob Sanders, who was Perry Fewell's D-line coach in Buffalo last season, will be the guy.

Admittedly this is unconfirmed and speculation, but it may be the best we ever find out as no-one within the Giants organisation will comment on the record.

This is a reasonable reason why Wauffle was fired and perhaps explains the poor performance of our D-Line this season.

Whatever the case, Wauffle was fired for a reason, it just may be we never really know.

btw I don't buy the injury excuse. Every team has injuries and we has arguably what was considered the best D-Line depth in the NFL.

Even with Tuck and Canty limited and Alford on IR, we still had Osi, Robbins, Cofield, Kiwanuka and Bernard all of whom were considered starting calibre linemen. I am not saying it was work ethic or anything, but it seemed to me that the D-Line was out of sync with what was happening with the rest of the defense.

btw Fewell is not just a Booth coach, remember he remained D-Coordinator when he became interim head coach and was calling the defensive plays from the sideline, with alot of success, so him being on the sideline is no real issue imho