PDA

View Full Version : Bama CB Kareem Jackson to enter draft

LizardState
01-15-2010, 04:24 PM
The last notable undecided player on declaration day has decided to enter the NFL draft.

From ESPN:

Jackson declares for draft
By Joe Schad

Alabama cornerback Kareem Jackson said Friday he will enter the NFL draft.

"My thing going into the year was do everything possible to put myself in this position," Jackson said. "I am confident in my decision. I'm looking forward to getting the work and looking forward to the NFL."

Jackson, 5-foot-11, 195 pounds, was told he could be a second-round pick.

"With some hard work and if I run a good 40-yard dash I could go a little higher," Jackson said. "I think playing for Coach [Nick] Saban will help a lot because we run a pro-style defense. He taught me how to work hard and have a good work ethic."

This is one player's 40-time that will be closely watched at the Combine next month. More than just 40 yd. dash footspeed, Jackson has consistently displayed that intangible FB speed. I recall twice he chased down balllcarriers from behind to save the TD for Saban's national championship Alabama defense, once catching & tackling Dexter McCluster after chasing him for about 60 yds. in the 08 Ole Miss game.

Jackson is a better than avg. cover corner, a pure corner (vs. FS or nickelback) & a sure tackler IMO, & was the 2nd fastest player on the Tide team after Javier Arenas. If he goes int eh 2nd as expected he could be an impact rookie who can start & contribute his 1st yr. in the NFL for some team looking to improve pass defense.

Hines
01-15-2010, 04:26 PM
IMO, he's the second best corner in this draft.

djp
01-15-2010, 04:27 PM
Yeah, I really like Jackson. He was more impressive than Javier Arenas to me.

I think he's at worst a late 2nd.

ThePudge
01-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Right now, I have Kareem Jackson as my #2 CB and #31 in the draft. A player that can do it all and possesses an NFL skil-set. He probably doesn't have star potential, but he'd be a great #2 corner anywhere. Glad he entered.

DaBrowns41
01-15-2010, 04:30 PM
I currently have him as the 5th ranked CB behind Haden, Robinson, Ghee and Lindley.

I think with a good combine, he could jump Ghee and Lindley.

Mr.KnowItAll
01-15-2010, 04:34 PM
I'd wouldn't say he is the last notable player. Unless you have heard something on Ryan Broyles, Michael Morgan, Travis Lewis, Chykie Brown, Sam Acho, Graig Cooper, and Chris Walker.

JFLO
01-15-2010, 04:37 PM
Right now, he is the second best corner in the draft.

He's extremely physical and really has underrated athleticism.

I think a player like Pat Robinson or Donovan Warren can overcome him by April, but it's Jackson's competition to lose.

Babylon
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
I'd have Haden, Robinson and Kyle Wilson at the top.

ThePudge
01-15-2010, 04:41 PM
Right now, he is the second best corner in the draft.

He's extremely physical and really has underrated athleticism.

I think a player like Pat Robinson or Donovan Warren can overcome him by April, but it's Jackson's competition to lose.

I understand how Pat Robinson could pass him: a good Senior Bowl and then he puts on a show at the NFL Combine. Still, Warren will not get that opportunity (Senior Bowl) and should test very similarly to Jackson I would imagine. I'm honestly just wondering what you think Donovan Warren could do to pass Kareem Jackson? I agree that he could go higher in April, I'm just interested to see what you think would have to happen between Jackson and Warren's offseason to warrant that.

MizzouBig12
01-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Good news for everybody here. He's going to outstanding at the next level. If he tears it up at the combine, I predict late 1st round, a meh combine and he's still no later than late 2nd, and a steal.

JFLO
01-15-2010, 04:53 PM
I understand how Pat Robinson could pass him: a good Senior Bowl and then he puts on a show at the NFL Combine. Still, Warren will not get that opportunity (Senior Bowl) and should test very similarly to Jackson I would imagine. I'm honestly just wondering what you think Donovan Warren could do to pass Kareem Jackson? I agree that he could go higher in April, I'm just interested to see what you think would have to happen between Jackson and Warren's offseason to warrant that.

Both Jackson and Warren are still raw in terms of understanding coverage and both will struggle early on in keeping up with some of the faster, more sound receivers in the league.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Warren post a better 40 time in Indianapolis and do better in drills.

Warren is a fantastic cornerback and I don't think he gets nearly the amount of attention he deserves because he played in Ann Arbor for two years, two of the worst years of Michigan's history, at least recent history.

He's an excellent cover guy and I think he'll transition very well at the next level.

Jackson is a better run supporter and he stand out more physically than Donovan probably ever will.

Just from a drills standpoint in Indy, that's the aspect where Warren, IMO, could pass Jackson as the second best corner in the class.

In terms of Patrick Robinson, he really displayed his closing speed during the latter part of the season for the Seminoles. He still shows signs of struggling against bigger targets and sometimes will get handled to easily, but he's very sound and is probably one of the most technical corners in the class.

D-Unit
01-15-2010, 04:55 PM
YES! Another option for the Cowboys in Round 2.

Better yet.. maybe he'll push Perrish Cox down!!! Woo!!!

Mr.KnowItAll
01-15-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm interested to see what Jackson runs at the combine. Also don't sleep on Perrish Cox shut down Jordan Shipley and A.J. Green this year.

Brent
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
is there anyone who prepares cornerbacks for the NFL better than Saban?

RealityCheck
01-15-2010, 05:02 PM
Late 2nd-early-mid 3rd.

Has the deadline passed?

DaBrowns41
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
Late 2nd-early-mid 3rd.

Has the deadline passed?

Yes. Deadline passed at 5pm EST.

LizardState
02-06-2010, 10:36 AM
Apparently a lot of others have taken immediate interest in Jackson. FWIW ESPN has him listed as the #21 overall player of 32 listed in the April draft.

RealityCheck
02-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Apparently a lot of others have taken immediate interest in Jackson. FWIW ESPN has him listed as the #21 overall player of 32 listed in the April draft.
Hell, he's not even one of the top 5 corners, imo.

Hines
02-06-2010, 12:16 PM
I personally believe he could be the second corner in the draft. I have him at 3 now behind Haden and Wilson.

princefielder28
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Hell, he's not even one of the top 5 corners, imo.

Who are your top five corners?

I have him at #5 right now behind Haden, Cox, Wilson and Spievey

Texas Homer
02-06-2010, 06:01 PM
YES! Another option for the Cowboys in Round 2.

....or the Texans!

Is he almost a lock to be gone by the 3rd round?

Ravensfan92
02-06-2010, 08:04 PM
I currently have him as the 5th ranked CB behind Haden, Robinson, Ghee and Lindley.

I think with a good combine, he could jump Ghee and Lindley.

Lindley? Really?

Captain overrated isn't even in my top 10.

Joe Haden
Kyle wilson
Brandon Ghee
Perrish Cox
Patrick Robinson
Devin McCourty
Donavan Warren
Kareem Jackson
Dominique Franks
Jerome Murphy
Rafeal Preist.
Akwasi Owusu-Ansah

That's my top 12. If this was last season Lindley would be top 3. He's fallen off the map.

Clarkw267
02-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Am I mistaken or did the OP say that he was the 2nd fastest player on Bama behind Javier Arenas??

One of the big question marks surrounding Arenas is foot speed. He's more quick than fast.

As for Jackson... I'd put him in that 2nd tier of CBs.

Tier 1 : Haden
Tier 2: Wilson, Robinson, Jackson
Tier 3: Warren, Ghee, Cox, Murphy, McCourty, Ross