PDA

View Full Version : Alan Branch vs Mt. Cody

foozball
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
Alan Branch is a big mofo just like Cody.

Branch: 6'6 325lbs
Cody: 6'5 365lbs

Now, I Branch is now listed around 335lbs, but how does Cody compare to Branch as a prospect?

Branch was being hailed for his size and athletic ability considering he was huge. He did have some issues concerning his work ethic though, but other than that, he measured out great. He also had better stats than Cody

5.07 40yd
33 bench reps

Branch was taken with the 1st pick in the 2nd round, but people are calling Cody a top 20 pick. Why such a big difference in draft position? Branch was nearly as big, twice as athletic, and could play all 3 downs.

superman8456
01-16-2010, 04:14 PM
The 34 is currently the up and coming defense. Everybody who runs one well, has a giant, mammoth in the middle 2 gapping and taking up blockers. It is very hard to find the guy that has the ability to do this, thus increasing his value.

Cody isn't straight line speed, but he is quick and agile for his size. Dont underestimate his athleticism because he is 365 lbs.

bigbuc
01-16-2010, 05:28 PM
I think when it's all said and done, Cody will be a 2nd rounder.

P-L
01-16-2010, 06:11 PM
Branch was viewed as a 4-3 NT or 3-4 DE while Cody is viewed strictly as a 3-4 NT. They aren't that similar aside from being very big.

LickaMahfeetz
01-16-2010, 07:05 PM
You're comparing him to the wrong Cardinal.

Gabe Watson

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/players/18803.html

Position: DT
Class: Sr
School: Michigan
Conference: Big Ten
Ht., Wt.: 6-3.5, 339
40 Time: 5.32
Selected by: Arizona Cardinals - Round 4, pick 10 (107 overall)

BIO: Moved into the starting lineup as a junior and awarded All-Conference honors the past two years. Senior totals included 40/6.5/2 after 37/7/2 the prior year.

POSITIVES: Athletic, wide-bodied run stuffer who flashes dominance. Quick off the snap, powerful and bull-rushes opponents off the line of scrimmage. Moves well laterally, immediately alters his angle of attack and has a burst of speed. Plays with a good degree of explosion and is effective when he keeps his pads low.

NEGATIVES: Must significantly improve his hand technique and learn to protect himself. Gets tall and can be handled by ordinary blockers. Skates through plays, takes downs off, and not known as a consistent worker.

ANALYSIS: A defender who controls the line of scrimmage when focused on the task at hand, Watson offers tremendous upside potential for the next level. A player who switches it on and off, Watson needs to improve his conditioning, intensity and consistency to reach the level of play scouts feel he is capable of.

PROJECTION: Early Second Round

Watson was questioned for the potential to eat himself out of the league too.

brasho
01-16-2010, 10:01 PM
That was the guy I was thinking he compared to as well, Gabe Watson. Another guy with little production in college but was widely acclaimed for being big and not much else. One more guy that Cody reminds me of is a guy the Bucs drafted out of Alabama a few years back, Anthony Bryant.

TitanHope
01-16-2010, 10:25 PM
If I remember correctly, it came out that Branch had lower leg problems like frequent shin splints or something, which caused people to worry about how he'd hold up in the pros carrying all that weight. That came out right before the draft, and hurt his stock as well (which was already slowly declining).

phlysac
01-16-2010, 11:58 PM
The 34 is currently the up and coming defense. Everybody who runs one well, has a giant, mammoth in the middle 2 gapping and taking up blockers. It is very hard to find the guy that has the ability to do this, thus increasing his value.

That's not as much the case as used to be thought. Especially if using a Bum Phillips 3-4. The Cowboys and 49ers being good examples with small NT's Jay Ratliff and Aubrayo Franklin.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-17-2010, 09:05 AM
Branch was amazing his senior year at Michigan, I wish he would develop into a stud for AZ.

irishbucsfan
01-17-2010, 09:24 AM
That's not as much the case as used to be thought. Especially if using a Bum Phillips 3-4. The Cowboys and 49ers being good examples with small NT's Jay Ratliff and Aubrayo Franklin.

With the rarity of the massive 2-gap 3-4 NTs, I'm surprised more teams don't implement the Cowboys' system. I mean, a double team is a double team is a double team, regardless of how you're forcing the O line to do it. Why not use the quicker 1-gap DTs that seem to be more plentiful but can still draw the C and G?

brasho
01-17-2010, 09:36 AM
With the rarity of the massive 2-gap 3-4 NTs, I'm surprised more teams don't implement the Cowboys' system. I mean, a double team is a double team is a double team, regardless of how you're forcing the O line to do it. Why not use the quicker 1-gap DTs that seem to be more plentiful but can still draw the C and G?

Because the quicker 1-gap guys can't hold their ground against the double team and keep the LBs clean. Any 2-gap system is pretty much a defensive version of an Oline.

Da Big Harv
01-17-2010, 11:09 PM
Mount Cody isn't going anywhere near the top 20 picks thats for sure

Maybe a mid 2nd rounder if he shows a lot of hard work in the offseason

KaneMarko
01-18-2010, 08:38 AM

EXACTLY! Everyone assumes that all 3-4s are ran the same and require the same personnel. As you said, the Bum Phillips 3-4 doesn't require a huge 360 pound NT due to it using a lot of 1-gapping. Hence, Jay Ratliff. The Patriots primarily use the Chuck Fairbanks 3-4, which consisted of a lot of 2-gapping and utilizing larger defensive linemen.

I've seen posts and mocks having the Cowboys taking Cody near the end of the 1st. Which might not necessarily be the case due to the fact that Cody is the classic 2 gapper and the Bum Phillips 3-4 doesn't necessarily require that.

Nothing is absolute as styles and systems do have some overlap. Just wanting to point out that all 3-4s aren't the same and don't necessarily require the same personnel.

irishbucsfan
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Because the quicker 1-gap guys can't hold their ground against the double team and keep the LBs clean. Any 2-gap system is pretty much a defensive version of an Oline.

Jay Ratliff seems pretty effective.

PossibleCabbage
01-18-2010, 06:20 PM
EXACTLY! Everyone assumes that all 3-4s are ran the same and require the same personnel. As you said, the Bum Phillips 3-4 doesn't require a huge 360 pound NT due to it using a lot of 1-gapping. Hence, Jay Ratliff. The Patriots primarily use the Chuck Fairbanks 3-4, which consisted of a lot of 2-gapping and utilizing larger defensive linemen.

I've seen posts and mocks having the Cowboys taking Cody near the end of the 1st. Which might not necessarily be the case due to the fact that Cody is the classic 2 gapper and the Bum Phillips 3-4 doesn't necessarily require that.

Nothing is absolute as styles and systems do have some overlap. Just wanting to point out that all 3-4s aren't the same and don't necessarily require the same personnel.

Really, of the three current strains of the 3-4 defense, the Bum Phillips 3-4, the Capers-LeBeau 3-4, and the Fairbanks-Bullough-Belichick 3-4, only the latter of the three really is looking for a player like Cody. The Phillips system asks for the NT play one gap, so it's of primary importance that he be able to get penetration, the Capers-LeBeau system asks for the NT to play one gap or two depending on the play as well as make zone drops (so you need an unusually athletic big man), while the Fairbanks-Bullough-Belichick 3-4 asks the NT primarily to be able to occupy enough blockers to be able to keep the LBs clean.

So you might expect a team like Cleveland or Kansas City to take Cody with their second round pick, I wouldn't expect Dallas to be picking him.