PDA

View Full Version : LeGarrette Blount's Draft Stock

DT35
01-16-2010, 11:41 PM
I don't even remember what his stock was pre-incident. Where was he projected to go back before the season started and where is he projected to go now? Do you see him succeeding?

energizerbunny
01-16-2010, 11:57 PM
before the season he was probably in that late 2nd-3rd range, although some people on here thought he was rated alot higher then that.

I'd say right now he is probably a 5th-7th, depending on how he runs. He looks like he was a bit out of shape this season and didn't have the same burst and explosiveness that he had last season.

holt_bruce81
01-17-2010, 12:15 AM
I think he goes in the 4th-5th round range, maybe even earlier. He has a load of talent and some team will fall in love with him during workouts.

Duffman57
01-17-2010, 12:20 AM
before the season he was probably in that late 2nd-3rd range, although some people on here thought he was rated alot higher then that.

I'd say right now he is probably a 5th-7th, depending on how he runs. He looks like he was a bit out of shape this season and didn't have the same burst and explosiveness that he had last season.

I think that he looked like that the first game at Boise, but i think that the last few games, he looked alot better. He looked alot quicker and even more powerful then ever before. And i think he's really changed. I think that he will go somewhere in the 5th.

Saints-Tigers
01-17-2010, 03:19 AM
Seems like Oregon backs can really catch the ball, how well does he catch the ball out of the backfield?

If Mike Bell isn't retained, and he's a late rounder, the Saints would be stupid to not take him.

Bosanac01
01-17-2010, 03:38 AM
i don't think he'll get drafted. That's just me.

STsACE
01-17-2010, 09:06 AM
i don't think he'll get drafted. That's just me.

I didn't think Maurice Clarett would get drafted years ago either, but he ultimately ended up drafted.

I thought Blount was preseason ranked as the #2 or #3 RB prospect. After the incident, I felt his best chance was UDFA. With him making an impression and taking his punishment like a man and showing some maturity which led to him seeing the field again, I'd say some team with extra mid-round picks who have good leadership in the locker room will take a chance on this kid.

What is he 6' 2" about 240lbs, good quickness decent top-end speed for his size? If he manages a 4.5 range 40 and shows he catches out of the backfield, some team will take a chance on him.

There's questions about this kid, no doubt, from his incident. Is he the next Iron Head Heyward or the next Bus?

brasho
01-17-2010, 09:33 AM
Ironhead was a pretty good back.. he lasted a long time and was a terror in college.

Blount was originally a 2nd-2rd round back before the incident... now, with teams being more sensitive to character issues he looks to be a 7th rounder.

Maurice Clarett's biggest obstacle in getting drafted, other than him being an idiot, was the pathetic 40 time he ran and how out of shape he was. What was his combine 40, wasn't it something like 4.87?

PossibleCabbage
01-17-2010, 10:38 AM
While Blount's character issues are troubling, he should get credit for (apparently) doing everything right after the incident in Boise. I think that will help his stock with GMs who won't immediately right him off. While his true value maybe of a 5th or 6th rounder, remember that it only takes one team to pick him higher than maybe it should go. I figure that there will probably be a team in the 3rd or 4th round range who needs a RB, doesn't have good value at another position of need, and falls in love with his physicality/straight line speed. He's not cut out to be a great #1 back in the NFL, but he can be a really valuable contributor in a "by-committee" approach, which seems to be de rigeur in the league these days.

Babylon
01-17-2010, 11:22 AM
I think he goes in the 4th-5th round range, maybe even earlier. He has a load of talent and some team will fall in love with him during workouts.

I dont think his speed is that good and the character thing is going to hang over his hear. I think you're right about the 4th-5th range, not the going earlier part.

adamprez2003
01-17-2010, 12:40 PM
regarding his character, does blount have other issues other than the punch? the punch to me is not a charcter issue but rather a player losing his head in the midst of a game. far less concerning than drugs or running with a bad crowd

RaiderNation
01-17-2010, 12:44 PM
Id take a chance on him in the 5th.

brasho
01-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Whether Blount was right or wrong or redeemed himself or not.... GMs don't like the potential bad PR of being the guy that wasted a ___ pick on THAT guy. Now if he gets picked in the 7th round, then the GM can say, "He's a good back, made a mistake, if we're wrong, no big deal." And if the guy turns out ok, he looks like a genius... but if he takes that guy in round 3 and he gets in trouble or stinks then he will be roundly criticized. RIght or wrong, this is the way it is.

FUNBUNCHER
01-17-2010, 05:11 PM
I thought the 'punch' was one of multiple incidents Blount had at Oregon, which was the reason he was immediately kicked off the team after the Boise State game??
Many coaches look at occasional fighting as an unspoken part of the game, happens in almost every TC around the league, I'd be more concerned about what other incidents he's had in school that were less publicized.

How good a RB is Blount anyway? Was there a point in his college career where he was ever compared to Steven Jackson?? They have similar builds IMO.

DT35
01-17-2010, 06:17 PM
I thought the 'punch' was one of multiple incidents Blount had at Oregon, which was the reason he was immediately kicked off the team after the Boise State game??
Many coaches look at occasional fighting as an unspoken part of the game, happens in almost every TC around the league, I'd be more concerned about what other incidents he's had in school that were less publicized.

How good a RB is Blount anyway? Was there a point in his college career where he was ever compared to Steven Jackson?? They have similar builds IMO.

Wikipedia (CBS Sports, more specifically) compares him to Michael Bush. They have almost the exact same build, you could swap their heads and you wouldn't be able to tell. 6'1, 240 for both of them. Jackson is 6'2, 230ish. I think I'd draft LeGarette in the 4th, and if it weren't for the incidents even before that. I think he can be a great 3rd down back who can also take about 150+ carries a year.

NGSeiler
01-17-2010, 06:26 PM
regarding his character, does blount have other issues other than the punch? the punch to me is not a charcter issue but rather a player losing his head in the midst of a game. far less concerning than drugs or running with a bad crowd

Didn't it happen after the game? Or am I not remembering it correctly?

Brent
01-17-2010, 07:36 PM
I think it depends on the organization. Not that the Niners need a power back, but guys like Singletary & RB coach Tom Rathman would be the right type of coaches to have around him. Also, you need a locker room with established leaders, and etc.

I could easily see him in that 4-6 range.

Bosanac01
01-17-2010, 08:33 PM
It's not just getting taunted and punching a guy. He made a huge scene. There were coaches and players that tried to get him in the locker room. He went after his teammates, he went after the fans. That's not ******* normal.

iworshipbender
01-18-2010, 05:29 AM
To be fair, one of those fans was about to throw a chair at him. Also, it's partially the replay guy's fault because he had the punch on loop up on the big screen.

AntoinCD
01-18-2010, 06:39 AM
Just because the fan was acting in a threatening manner doesn't mean Blount had any excuse to go nuts. The video was looped on the big screen because he blindsided an opposing player after the game. If he does that in the NFL the same thing would happen. I don't see him being drafted any earlier than the late fourth round. RBs have a tendency to slide let alone RBs with speed, elusiveness and character concerns.

stephenson86
01-18-2010, 07:15 AM
wherever he goes he will be a steal

LizardState
01-18-2010, 12:51 PM
wherever he goes he will be a steal

I agree, he's a classic power running game back.

Draft day rolls around & team needs always trump character issue players, amazing how forgiving the NFL teams are about blatant criminal behavior. Remember, the Eagles took Vick, a Federal criminal right out of Leavenworth, & played him.

ojjuiceman
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
I'd take a chance on him in the 5th and let him "duke" it out in training camp.

iworshipbender
01-18-2010, 05:20 PM
Just because the fan was acting in a threatening manner doesn't mean Blount had any excuse to go nuts. The video was looped on the big screen because he blindsided an opposing player after the game. If he does that in the NFL the same thing would happen. I don't see him being drafted any earlier than the late fourth round. RBs have a tendency to slide let alone RBs with speed, elusiveness and character concerns.

Of course it doesn't give him a pass. There is no excuse to loop the video of the punch at any time in the stadium. ESPN showing the replay ad infinitum is fine because there's no chance of causing a riot. Again, none of this excuses what he did. It would just serve you and everyone good to know the whole story of what went into the situation.

Scotty D
01-18-2010, 05:25 PM
I know its cliche, but it only takes one team to make the decision. I think someone takes a chance on him.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-18-2010, 05:39 PM
I know its cliche, but it only takes one team to make the decision. I think someone takes a chance on him.

Exactly even Clarett went in the third. If Blount runs well I could see him going earlier than most expect.