PDA

View Full Version : Al Davis's Draft Day Follies - 2010

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 08:00 AM
I posted this last year and would again like to hear (if only for humor) who NFLDC users think Al Davis will pick to shock us all. So I again pose the question: What will be Al's new prized specimen in the first round come the first day of the draft?

My easy choice would be Taylor Mays as the kind of physical freak Al loves but with Al its never easy to predict. Your thoughts?

DJC
01-18-2010, 08:06 AM
Im going with 0% that Oakland takes Mays. They already have Branch, who just had a break out season, Huff, who looks like he's finally coming around, and Mitchell, who they just took in the 2nd. Safety is probably their strongest position right now.

I could see someone like Pierre-Paul being a stereotypical Raiders pick, being at a need position and one of the most impressive DEs physically.

RealityCheck
01-18-2010, 08:24 AM
I'm going with Mays too. I love Branch and Huff, and safety is NOT a need, but you know, it's Al Davis.

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 08:36 AM
Al Davis considers depth charts and needs when he drafts? lol

DJC
01-18-2010, 08:52 AM
I guess Javon Walker should've been reason enough to pass on a WR last year. When everyone was high on getting the next potential AD, who did Oakland have that would make them pass on that? Who was their Pro Bowl franchise QB that they had sitting on their roster when they drafted Jamarcus? When they took Huff, their defense was so great wasn't it, being well in the bottom half of the league.

I can't defend the players the Al Davis takes, but he's not going out and trying to draft career back-ups.

EvilNixon
01-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Al Davis considers depth charts and needs when he drafts? lol

Actually he does. He reaches for need. lol.

Last year
1.DHB. Needed a WR opposite Schilens and Miller
2. Mike Mitchell- Huff had struggled,and Tyvon Branch wasn't as established.

nepg
01-18-2010, 10:20 AM
I've got Bruce Campbell...

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I guess Javon Walker should've been reason enough to pass on a WR last year. When everyone was high on getting the next potential AD, who did Oakland have that would make them pass on that? Who was their Pro Bowl franchise QB that they had sitting on their roster when they drafted Jamarcus? When they took Huff, their defense was so great wasn't it, being well in the bottom half of the league.

I can't defend the players the Al Davis takes, but he's not going out and trying to draft career back-ups.

Im not saying that he drafts career backups im saying that he doest focus on the greatest possible need. When he drafted Russel you can't argue that the most glaring need was on the O-line or D-line... in fact for each of the picks you listed that filled a need the greater need was the O-line or the D-line.

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 10:32 AM
in fact, if I recall correctly all of Scott's mocks the last few years have had a guess at Al Davis's crazy drafting but start with something along the lines of "Something on the O-line is probably a more glaring need but it will be hard for Al Davis to pass up (place physical freak here)"

AntoinCD
01-18-2010, 10:52 AM
If either are still there my moneys on Derrick Morgan or Bruce Campbell

Addict
01-18-2010, 10:58 AM
My easy choice would be Taylor Mays as the kind of physical freak Al loves but with Al its never easy to predict. Your thoughts?

I think 90% of the forum called the DHB pick, so yeah he IS predictable.

who's the fastest or strongest prospect with spotty production and questionable football skills? That's your Raiders first rounder right there.

vidae
01-18-2010, 11:03 AM
I agree on the Derrick Morgan pick. If he runs well I could see the Raiders taking him.

Brent
01-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Rolando McClain wouldn't shock me. I dont have a reason, but it sounds fitting.

RealityCheck
01-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Haden is possible as well.

JaxJag_1
01-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Bruce Campbell or Jason Pierre-Paul

keylime_5
01-18-2010, 11:49 AM
tim tebow, round two, haha.

RealityCheck
01-18-2010, 11:51 AM
tim tebow, round two, haha.
It will be an awesome poker match on round 2 for Tebow. Let's say 10 teams bluffing on their picks for him.

ThePudge
01-18-2010, 12:37 PM
I think Jason Pierre-Paul may very well be the 8th pick in the draft to Oakland.

AntoinCD
01-18-2010, 12:40 PM
It will be an awesome poker match on round 2 for Tebow. Let's say 10 teams bluffing on their picks for him.

May be an awesome poker match in round 1

Babylon
01-18-2010, 12:56 PM
Haden is possible as well.

He was just taken by the Seahawks.

RaiderNation
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Look at the recent history and the raiders draft for need, even though the player might be the correct one. So Id take safety out unless we trade or release one

Mr.KnowItAll
01-18-2010, 01:00 PM
Trades all his picks to aquire Jacoby Ford and Holliday.

cvv84
01-18-2010, 01:06 PM
I think he's goes OT or DT. They have some emerging players at DE in Trevor Scott and Matt Shaughnessy. Plus Seymour is capable of playing DE in the 43 though I'd move him inside. In fact I'll call is right now, Terrence Cody to Oakland.

Thumper
01-18-2010, 01:20 PM
Right now I think it is going to be either DE, OT or DT just by looking at who might be on the board. At DE the guys who Al Davis will like are JPP, Dunlap and possibly Griffen depending on how he runs. At DT you've got Terrance Cody who is a freak of nature at his size. And at OT you've got two workout warriors in Bruce Campbell and Bryan Bulaga.

Right now, I'm going with Carlos Dunlap to the Raiders which is much higher than Dunlap should go.

Xonraider
01-18-2010, 01:35 PM
I hope he drafts Suh if he's there... if he's not then whoever helps us stop the run.

RaiderNation
01-18-2010, 02:13 PM
Suh isnt going to be there unless he has like 3 DUI's

ThePudge
01-18-2010, 02:21 PM

Or maybe if he leaves the Combine after declaring he won't be working out... That seems to cause a real fuss.

AntoinCD
01-18-2010, 02:23 PM

He could have 3 double homicides and he still wouldnt fall that far lol

ericzedwards
01-18-2010, 02:27 PM
Right now, I'm going with Carlos Dunlap to the Raiders which is much higher than Dunlap should go.

I agree. Go ahead and pencil Dunlap in for the Raiders in round one.

bigbuc
01-18-2010, 02:28 PM
I agree on the Derrick Morgan pick. If he runs well I could see the Raiders taking him.

If Derrick Morgan runs well he won't be around when the Raiders pick.

Babylon
01-18-2010, 02:33 PM
Raiders picks:

1. Taylor Mays
2. Bruce Campbell
3. Carlos Dunlap
4. Riley Cooper

On second thought you could do worse.

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 02:58 PM
the same scott who has often said that you have to take a franchise qb if you don't have one, no matter what. i can't fault al for russell. plenty of qbs have been piles of garbage. dhb may have been a silly pick, but it's not like the raiders were stacked at the spot.

sometimes, people are so eager to 'lolz raiderz!!oneonetwoone' that they ignore some pretty glaring reality. kind of like the idiots who are still mocking wrs to the lions and making the same idiotic jokes that stopped being funny 6 years ago.

I agree that the chance at a franchise QB is not one to be passed up and no it is not Al's fault that he hasnt become that franchise QB, and again you are all right in saying that they had a need for some of the positions that they selected. What I am saying is that in my opinion the need for WRs, Safeties etc. does not out weigh a need for solid linemen. Is Al the only one who does this in the league? no. It's the fact that when he goes for the WR need or the safety need he doesnt go for the player who is necessarily best at that position in the draft. As far as me being an "idiot" who still makes jokes about Al... I dont believe that I made fun of Al in my comments, merely that he might select Taylor Mays.

nhlkdog411
01-18-2010, 03:45 PM

He drafted McFadden a year after A. Justin Fargas had a major breakout year and B. he had used a round 2 pick on Michael Bush.

DoWnThEfiElD
01-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Raiders picks:

1. Taylor Mays
2. Bruce Campbell
3. Carlos Dunlap
4. Riley Cooper

On second thought you could do worse.

Ha, actually that would not be half bad.

cvv84
01-18-2010, 04:08 PM
He drafted McFadden a year after A. Justin Fargas had a major breakout year and B. he had used a round 2 pick on Michael Bush.

1000 yards is hardly breaking out anymore and Bush was a 4th round pick coming off a broken leg.

NIN1984
01-18-2010, 04:29 PM
The Raiders actually have a need a CB and Joe Haden looks like a top 10 pick so I'll say Haden.

Asomugha 28, has 2 years left on his contract and will make a killing in his 3rd season so if the Raiders can't rework the deal he could gone after 2010.

Chris Johnson is 30 and had a horrible season.

Stanford Routt, Not a great fit for Al's defense.

This is it, Raiders have nothing else at CB.

Babylon
01-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Ha, actually that would not be half bad.

Before they do anything stupid i'll take those picks in Seattle.

Paranoidmoonduck
01-18-2010, 05:56 PM
Assuming guys like Berry, McCoy, Okung, and Suh won't be falling...

Al could target a cornerback like Haden, but I sort of doubt it. Unless Haden turns out to be faster than expected, I think Oakland would look at Mays to take over FS before drafting him.

Besides that, I expect the pick to be a lineman. Big guys like Davis or Campbell could grab Oakland's attention. On the defensive line, I'd watch out for Brian Price. If he can manage to have a strong offseason, I think Davis will target a DT long before he goes after a DE, and Price is the next guy in line after McCoy and Suh.

Sloopy
01-18-2010, 07:09 PM
no, i was calling the people who still make jokes about the lions taking a wr idiots. apologies if the wording was unclear.

no worries friend

bruschis4all
01-18-2010, 07:54 PM
I think Sergio Kindle - olb - Texas will test out well at the combine. Could develop into a good player. But, a reach at Raiders pick.

nhlkdog411
01-18-2010, 09:25 PM
1000 yards is hardly breaking out anymore and Bush was a 4th round pick coming off a broken leg.

I stand corrected on Bush, I'm not sure why I thought he was a round 2 pick, but to say Fargas didn't break out is a little ridiculous. He ran for 1000 yards at 4.5 yards a pop. Only 15 backs in the entire nfl ran for 1000 yards this year. That means if you have a 1000 yard rusher they effectively had a better year than more than half of the starting runners in the NFL...is Fargas Chris Johnson? Hell no but if you already have a guy who you know is capable of being a top half of the league runner and your team has as many MASSIVE holes as the Raiders did, its still silly to blow a top 5 pick on a guy like McFadden.

RaiderNation
01-18-2010, 09:34 PM
I stand corrected on Bush, I'm not sure why I thought he was a round 2 pick, but to say Fargas didn't break out is a little ridiculous. He ran for 1000 yards at 4.5 yards a pop. Only 15 backs in the entire nfl ran for 1000 yards this year. That means if you have a 1000 yard rusher they effectively had a better year than more than half of the starting runners in the NFL...is Fargas Chris Johnson? Hell no but if you already have a guy who you know is capable of being a top half of the league runner and your team has as many MASSIVE holes as the Raiders did, its still silly to blow a top 5 pick on a guy like McFadden.

Thing was DMC was a cant miss prospect. Many had him as one of the best RB prospects of the decade. RB wasnt our biggest need but when you have that kind of a prospect slide to you, you cant pass it up.

Young Legend
01-19-2010, 12:51 AM

But Fargas is far from reliable and was always hurt so how can you say it was silly to take McFadden there when your main RB is a crash test dummy that only had 1 good season in his hole career? and was helped out more they any RB by Zone blocking.

Young Legend
01-19-2010, 12:54 AM
I will go with Bruce Campbell maybe Anthony Davis cause of there size and also Derrick Morgan.

Abaddon
01-19-2010, 01:45 AM
Rolando McClain wouldn't shock me. I dont have a reason, but it sounds fitting.
Not unless he runs a sub-4.3. Al really puts very little value on LBs.

I think he's goes OT or DT. They have some emerging players at DE in Trevor Scott and Matt Shaughnessy. Plus Seymour is capable of playing DE in the 43 though I'd move him inside. In fact I'll call is right now, Terrence Cody to Oakland.
Trevor Scott is a LB. The starting WILL, actually.
Thing was DMC was a cant miss prospect. Many had him as one of the best RB prospects of the decade. RB wasnt our biggest need but when you have that kind of a prospect slide to you, you cant pass it up.

McFadden was by no means a "can't miss" prospect. Dude's game was, and still is, full of holes.

Abaddon
01-19-2010, 01:48 AM
If Haden is there and runs well, I think he's a no brainer.

Beyond him, I'm afraid to speculate. After the Combine, I'll make my guess and wait to be ashamed to be a Raider fan again.

RealityCheck
01-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I hope he drafts Suh if he's there... if he's not then whoever helps us stop the run.
Suh at #8... Let's see... no.

Addict
01-19-2010, 09:59 AM

wow wow wow, no. He was thought of as a can't miss, AD-like prospect initially. But once the tape was studied there were many who believed his game flawed and there was plenty of guys saying he could very be a huge bust.

I'm sure there were guys who believed he'd succeed, but this wasn't universally accepted.

DeathbyStat
01-19-2010, 10:02 AM
On the short list is Mays and Carlos Dunlap
...however Bruce Cambell and Anthony Davis could put up sick work out numbers so they aren't out of the mix

stephenson86
01-19-2010, 10:05 AM
watch him make a good pick, i will be so upset, last year was so funny

i like mays, aso takes away pretty much half the field meaning his responsibilities can be more focused and he could thrive

bigbluedefense
01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
I think he takes Carlos Dunlap.

NotoRussell
01-19-2010, 10:10 AM
it will be Joe Haden if he runs under 4.4 at the combine.
CB is a need because C.Johnson was terrible this season, he's nickel corner at best, and Routt cant cover anybody, so Oak needs a CB at opposite of Aso.

stephenson86
01-19-2010, 10:13 AM
tebow to move to corner?

Monomach
01-19-2010, 10:19 AM
I think 90% of the forum called the DHB pick, so yeah he IS predictable.

Sure, we all did. I thought we were joking at the time, though.

Im not saying that he drafts career backups im saying that he doest focus on the greatest possible need. When he drafted Russel you can't argue that the most glaring need was on the O-line or D-line... in fact for each of the picks you listed that filled a need the greater need was the O-line or the D-line.
Linemen can't run fast or throw hard. /yawn

Not sexy enough for Al.

First round RB picks are huge no-nos in my book. Much better to draft first round linemen and have them open holes for any ole guy. Yeah, I should be a GM.

Oh, and who thought he'd be THAT good? I was a hater then and am now. Viva Miguel Bush!

DaBrowns41
01-19-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm also going with Dunlap.

Dark Knight01
01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Well lets see...

The team needs a REAL GM/Personnel Man to run the draft first of all....then with personnel.... OT, DT, RDE, and MIKE LB are needs.

Sooooo.....that means the idiotic old man Al will probably take Joe Haden or Taylor Mays and piss off all the fans of the Raider Nation....again! LOL

Sheesh....

Young Legend
01-19-2010, 11:09 PM
With the rumor of Al wanting to ditch Zone blocking which im happy to hear about i think that it really favors Anthony Davis and Bryan Bulaga

YAYareaRB
01-19-2010, 11:16 PM
Trades down and nabs Tim Tebow in round 1

RaiderNation
01-20-2010, 01:36 AM
With the rumor of Al wanting to ditch Zone blocking which im happy to hear about i think that it really favors Anthony Davis and Bryan Bulaga

That what I heard too so that makes me real happy

CC.SD
01-20-2010, 01:49 AM
You can't blame Al for the DMac pick, he had just spent a ton of FA money that offseason (megacontracts to Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall, Kwame Harris, Tommy Kelly...horrifying even then) and had just watched AD burst onto the scene. I can definitely see how from Davis' wretched perspective, D-Mac looked like the key to unleashing all his newly acquired talent.

As for 2010...safe money is still on Mays but I could see Al buying into the JPP hype.

Jakey
01-20-2010, 02:49 AM
Im gonn go out on a limb and says he makes a decent pick this year...Joe Haden or Anthony Davis?

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 09:54 AM
Well lets see...

The team needs a REAL GM/Personnel Man to run the draft first of all....then with personnel.... OT, DT, RDE, and MIKE LB are needs.

Sooooo.....that means the idiotic old man Al will probably take Joe Haden or Taylor Mays and piss off all the fans of the Raider Nation....again! LOL

Sheesh....
Kirk Morrison says hi.

EvilNixon
01-20-2010, 10:00 AM
Kirk Morrison says hi.

lol. Morrison isn't going to stop us from picking a MLB. He's really regressed.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 10:05 AM
lol. Morrison isn't going to stop us from picking a MLB. He's really regressed.
Trade him to the Pats.

EvilNixon
01-20-2010, 10:07 AM
Trade him to the Pats.

You don't want him lol. He's not good against the run,or blitzing,or coverage. You're better off with Guyton xD.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 10:13 AM
You don't want him lol. He's not good against the run,or blitzing,or coverage. You're better off with Guyton xD.
I'm being serious, I want him. I'd give a 4th for him and DHB.

EvilNixon
01-20-2010, 10:17 AM

If we got a 4th for Morrison,I'd be ecstatic.
DHB is untouchable.

zachsaints52
01-20-2010, 10:22 AM
DHB is untouchable.

I will sell my body to science/ Al Davis can use it when his dries up for the Saints to get Krik for a 4th. I don't care if we have Vilma. Move Kirk to OLB for all I care. We shoulda had Kirk in the draft but noooooo Al Davis had to srew it up. O yeah, I see Al making a good move this time too.

01-20-2010, 10:24 AM

Who don't you want? Can you take JaWalrus instead of DHB?

I'll keep DHB, thanks.

CC.SD
01-20-2010, 12:15 PM
I will sell my body to science/ Al Davis can use it when his dries up for the Saints to get Krik for a 4th. I don't care if we have Vilma. Move Kirk to OLB for all I care. We shoulda had Kirk in the draft but noooooo Al Davis had to srew it up. O yeah, I see Al making a good move this time too.

Look we have a volunteer for Al Davis' next host. Hooray long live Al.

Kirk Morrison was a beast a few years ago but he's noticeably not making as much of an impact now. What a shame, go Aztecs.

Babylon
01-20-2010, 01:00 PM
DHB is untouchable.

You see something there the rest of us dont or was it all Russell's fault?

Babylon
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
sidney rice sure lit the world on fire in 2008, didn't he?

Good point and they both had dog#### QBs too.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 01:36 PM
Who don't you want? Can you take JaWalrus instead of DHB?
We don't need a QB. We have Tom "My Wife Is A Supermodel, Thanks" Brady and we will have Tim "Messiah" Tebow.

Scotty D
01-20-2010, 01:39 PM
sidney rice sure lit the world on fire in 2008, didn't he?

Robert Meacham is a bust as well!

Addict
01-20-2010, 01:44 PM

I think his play is quite robust, actually.

Babylon
01-20-2010, 01:50 PM

Then there's Mike Williams and Charles Rogers.

Scotty D
01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Then there's Mike Williams and Charles Rogers.

Yes, but the point is that WRs can take a little extra time.