PDA

View Full Version : Vladimir Ducasse

billsfootball15
01-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Im starting to see this guy a lot going in the early 2nd rd of peoples mock draft and since he is listed as a tackle, that puts him on the radar for my team the bills. I am an avid draft follower, but I honestly cant tell you one thing about the guy. I mean, are UMass football games even televised, haha. But seriously, I was wondering what the overall consensus on this board is about him. good/bad future, over/underated, etc. thanks.

RealityCheck
01-18-2010, 09:23 AM
1st round pick. Just that.

bored of education
01-18-2010, 10:02 AM
Im starting to see this guy a lot going in the early 2nd rd of peoples mock draft and since he is listed as a tackle, that puts him on the radar for my team the bills. I am an avid draft follower, but I honestly cant tell you one thing about the guy. I mean, are UMass football games even televised, haha. But seriously, I was wondering what the overall consensus on this board is about him. good/bad future, over/underated, etc. thanks.

I've been to abouot a dozen UMASS games in the past 2 years and have been able to watch alot of Vlad. Some project him as a guard at the next level, but I am one who thinks he could be a stud RT and he could definatly play the LT position. He is a very large dude(6'6, 330), and for his size he has avery good footwork and he uses his hands well. He can get to the second level and plays with very good leverage. I have him rated as my number 5 OT prospect.
He speaks fluent french and I think he has a 3.6 GPA. He is a very smart guy. He will wow people during the interview process. If I was to compare him to anyone as a prospect it woud be Phil Loadholt, but I think he uses his hands and has better footwork than Phil.

Splat
01-18-2010, 10:08 AM
I like his name.

ElectricEye
01-18-2010, 10:15 AM
I've been to abouot a dozen UMASS games in the past 2 years and have been able to watch alot of Vlad. Some project him as a guard at the next level, but I am one who thinks he could be a stud RT and he could definatly play the LT position. He is a very large dude(6'6, 330), and for his size he has avery good footwork and he uses his hands well. He can get to the second level and plays with very good leverage. I have him rated as my number 5 OT prospect.
He speaks fluent french and I think he has a 3.6 GPA. He is a very smart guy. He will wow people during the interview process. If I was to compare him to anyone as a prospect it woud be Phil Loadholt, but I think he uses his hands and has better footwork than Phil.

I've only seen a few UMass game on TV the past year or so, but from what I saw, I would agree with all of this. Very interested to see how he'll do in the Senior Bowl.

bored of education
01-18-2010, 10:17 AM
I've only seen a few UMass game on TV the past year or so, but from what I saw, I would agree with all of this. Very interested to see how he'll do in the Senior Bowl.

I'd agree with wanting to see him at the Senior Bowl. He really hasn't faced the best competition but inthe game v. Texas Tech he looked great. I want to see him in the drills and in the game. He could make himself a lot of money in Mobile

ElectricEye
01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
He could make himself a first round pick in Mobile, if the cards fall right. If he can hang with some of the quicker pass rushers in the South he'll open a lot of eyes.

FUNBUNCHER
01-18-2010, 10:43 AM

To earn a 1st round grade, IMO Vlad needs to BEAST in Senior Bowl practices and perform well in the actual game.
Level of competition is so critical for OT prospects, I think. It's hard to approximate playing against competition who are as big and as strong/stronger than you are. From a technique standpoint, it's a huge adjustment.

He may have 1st round tools, but I don't see him being taken in the first round, yet.

ElectricEye
01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
The game really doesn't mean much for offensive linemen unless they get seriously exposed, but the practices will be telling. I don't think he needs to do a whole hell of a lot to move up. The offensive tackle class is relatively weak, even with a couple talented juniors.

DeepThreat
01-18-2010, 11:39 AM
He could make himself a lot of money in Mobile

Or lose himself a lot, for that matter. I don't think he will, but it is a possibility.

keylime_5
01-18-2010, 11:52 AM
he's gonna be a guard in the NFL. IMO.

phlysac
01-18-2010, 11:53 AM

Any particular reasons?

J-Mike88
01-18-2010, 04:50 PM
IMO, no way Jose.
I think he's clearly a future NFL tackle, no question about it.
He's naturally huge, might get bigger... he's a perfect tackle and with the smarts that he has, it will help him on the edge.

irishbucsfan
01-18-2010, 04:54 PM
I like the idea of him at the top of the second. Much more likely that getting Iupati anyway.

ThePudge
01-18-2010, 05:06 PM
IMO, no way Jose.
I think he's clearly a future NFL tackle, no question about it.
He's naturally huge, might get bigger... he's a perfect tackle and with the smarts that he has, it will help him on the edge.

Smarts won't take the place of speed, quickness off the snap, consistency, technique, hand use, and footwork. I'm not saying Ducasse lacks those traits, but intelligence alone doesn't help you against NFL speed.

villagewarrior
01-18-2010, 07:30 PM
The game really doesn't mean much for offensive linemen unless they get seriously exposed, but the practices will be telling. I don't think he needs to do a whole hell of a lot to move up. The offensive tackle class is relatively weak, even with a couple talented juniors.

I think if a small-school prospect such as Vlad comes out and plays well against D-I talent then he is helping himself a lot. They want to see if he can play with NFL talent, which he probably didn't do a whole lot of at UMass.

bergo23
01-19-2010, 07:09 AM
Iupati seems to be almost the same in terms of draft stock. Anything differentiate the two?

J-Mike88
01-19-2010, 10:49 AM
To the guys who have seen Big Vlad actually play, move; who in the NFL would you compare him to in terms of style? I'm not asking you to predict his future greatness or averageness or failness, just style.

RealityCheck
01-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Iupati seems to be almost the same in terms of draft stock. Anything differentiate the two?
Ducasse is slightly bigger and better.

TACKLE
01-19-2010, 05:31 PM

The guy who reminds me a lot of is Carl Nicks without the off-field issues. They are almost identical physically both at 6'5 330. Everything you just said about Ducasse applies to Nicks. Nicks showed great feet at Senior Bowl and also was powerful and played with good leverage. Both guys despite being very big guys, are quite fluid in the movements. Both guys get a really nice drive in the run game. Nicks and Ducasse both have the physical ability to play OT but there best fit may be at Guard at the next level. There were some, including myself, who felt that if Nicks didn't have some serious off-field questions, he would have been a late 1st-early 2nd round pick. Very much the same range as Ducasse is being projected.

redbills
02-20-2010, 09:13 PM
Bump......so, LT, RT or G?

bored of education
02-20-2010, 09:20 PM
I think his best position would be RT.

GoRavens
02-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Late first round, maybe Arizona or Indianapolis.
I see him slipping to mid second though..

Supporting Caste
02-20-2010, 09:46 PM
He's a guard IMO.

To say he's better than Iupati, by the way, is just nuts IMO. Iupati is the best guard prospect I've ever seen.