PDA

View Full Version : WR Dez Bryant Working Out In Tampa

ojjuiceman
01-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Dez Bryant looks at the top teams in the draft, and identifies the first team that has a big need at WR that could conceivably draft him, then chooses to work out in that city.

Nicely played, Mr Bryant.

From the Tampa Tribune:

TAMPA - The Tampa Bay Buccaneers won't have to travel far to keep tabs on the top receiver in this year's NFL Draft.

Dez Bryant, the Oklahoma State wideout who was suspended by the NCAA in October for lying about a meeting he had with Deion Sanders, has decided to kick start his stagnant career here in Tampa Bay.

Bryant, a Texas native, said Friday he plans to spend at least the next couple of months working out at the Saddlebrook resort.

Though he played just three games of his junior season before the suspension, Bryant ranks as the top wideout in the draft, according to most experts. Maintaining that spot is the objective behind Bryant's work at Saddlebrook.

"I just feel like I have things to prove,'' said Bryant, who caught 87 passes for 1,480 yards and 19 touchdowns as a sophomore in 2008. "I have to let everybody know I still have it.''

Questions abound on that topic because Bryant has not played competitively since he caught nine passes for 161 yards and two touchdowns in a win over Rice last Sept. 19.

Bryant was suspended for lying to the NCAA about his relationship with former NFL star Sanders, who may have been perceived by the NCAA as a "runner'' for agent Eugene Parker.

Bryant has since hired Parker as his agent, but said Sanders never mentioned Parker during the time the two were together and his decision was made after interviewing several agents.

"I want people to know that neither one of them talked to me about the other,'' Bryant said in reference to Sanders and Parker. "My first time ever meeting Euegene Parker was like four weeks ago.

"I just felt like the NCAA thought me and him had something gong on and I didn't even know the man. And they thought Deion was the runner for him and it wasn't anything like that.''

Bryant said he initially lied to the NCAA about his relationship and meetings with Sanders because he got the impression the NCAA viewed it as illegal and would punish him for it.

"When I herd the NCAA wanted to talk to me, it was shocking,'' Bryant said. "I was laying in my bed, and my receiver coach called me and said the NCAA wanted to talk to me.

"I was like, 'I haven't done anything wrong,' because I don't want to do anything to hurt my career, so I was like, 'OK, I'll talk to them.' But I was nervous.

Bryant said the mistake he made with the NCAA was lying during the inquiry. He regrets that decision, but believes the NCAA acted harshly by suspending him.

"In ways I made a mistake because I lied to them,'' Bryant said. "I regret what I did and I respect their decision, but do I feel like it was a bad decision? Yeah, I feel like it was strong.

"But the thing about the NCAA, the way I look at it, they're like the Feds. You can't change their decision. They're going to go with what they want to go with. There's nothing I can do about that.''

D-Unit
01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Will he be the first WR taken?

Thumper
01-18-2010, 03:50 PM
Well that one crazed Bucs fan will be happy with this... what was his name Bucimalisland or something like that?

This would be a huge mistake btw.

ThePudge
01-18-2010, 03:52 PM

I really don't see any WR that will challenge him. He's going to test well, and he got it done on the field. He's got a lot of questions to answer, but he's likely to be a Top 10 pick.

ojjuiceman
01-18-2010, 04:01 PM
This would be a huge mistake btw.

Yeah they should focus on their horrible D-Line in the 1st round. There's plenty of good WR's in the 2nd.

Thumper
01-18-2010, 04:12 PM
Yeah they should focus on their horrible D-Line in the 1st round. There's plenty of good WR's in the 2nd.

Exactly and taking Bryant with the third pick is questionable as well, especially when there is going to be Derrick Morgan and Gerald McCoy likely on the board and maybe even Joe Haden is an option, the Bucs need defensive talent. They've got adequate pass catchers in Winslow, Stroughter, Bryant and Clayton, obviously not the best, probably more on the sub mediocre side but still, its enough to get the job done. They need defensive line help a lot more than the Bucs need wide receiver help.

And, Bryant isn't a character problem but all the signs point to him being immature, whether he is getting personal fouls against Georgia when they get physical with him or lying to the NCAA about going to Deion's house, he seems immature. His coach also mentioned that he doesn't always give his all on every play to scouts, I think that giving a guy like Bryant #3 pick money could blow up in someone's face.

JFLO
01-18-2010, 04:15 PM
Bryant is in a class by himself when it comes to the wide receivers this year. I think he is faster than most people perceive and he obviously will test well in other workouts and drills.

Definitely the first receiver off the board, no matter who is picking (at least today).

irishbucsfan
01-18-2010, 04:42 PM
Cheb.....?

ojjuiceman
01-18-2010, 04:56 PM
Cheb.....?

I prefer Chebington lol

irishbucsfan
01-18-2010, 05:01 PM
I prefer Chebington lol

Hah! I knew it! Welcome to the 'light' side, I guess...

Members of the forum, this guy knows his stuff. The football IQ of our forum here on DC just went up.

Babylon
01-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Trying to get a comparison for Bryant?

4thand18
01-18-2010, 06:48 PM

he's gotta be, who else could contend with him even though he missed all but 3 games in 09

Mr.KnowItAll
01-18-2010, 10:47 PM
Suprised nobody caught who Dez has as his agent? I love Dez but this could hurt him.

bofadabizzles
01-21-2010, 10:42 PM
My Brother works at Saddlebrook and said Dez has been a pretty nice guy.

LonghornsLegend
01-21-2010, 10:59 PM
It's not even a possibility of him going to Tampa unless they want to trade back which I can't see happening. He's too much of a risk that soon and they have a shot at some elite prospects who could be there like Eric Berry or Gerald McCoy.

SenorGato
01-21-2010, 11:22 PM
It's not even a possibility of him going to Tampa unless they want to trade back which I can't see happening. He's too much of a risk that soon and they have a shot at some elite prospects who could be there like Eric Berry or Gerald McCoy.

Not even a possibility? He's a top 5 player in this draft, and is one of the elite prospects in it. He's probably the only truly elite offensive talent...

ThePudge
01-21-2010, 11:42 PM

I'm going to respectfully disagree, but I won't be too decisive on this until he works out and shows he's in shape. I think Bryant is an elite athlete and as close we've seen to a complete package at WR since Calvin Johnson. He's got it all, a sudden athlete who plays with some physicality, makes plays over the middle of the field, is talented creating after the catch, and who has true breakaway speed and explosiveness. I don't think some people realize how good Bryant's feet are either. I like the Braylon Edwards comparison, though I think Dez is more sudden, more explosive, and faster than Edwards was coming out of Michigan.

Bryant is a Top 5 talent IMO, and could very well go 3rd Overall to Tampa if the Rams and Lions decide on Ndamukong Suh/Gerald McCoy. A star WR may bring more value to a team like Tampa Bay, after acquiring QB Josh Freeman in the 1st Round in 2009, than a Defensive Back like Eric Berry. Pairing a big, strong armed QB with an athletic, big-play receiver could be the best possible option if one of the top DTs are not available.

TACKLE
01-21-2010, 11:50 PM
.Bryant is a Top 5 talent IMO, and could very well go 3rd Overall to Tampa if the Rams and Lions decide on Ndamukong Suh/Gerald McCoy. A star WR may bring more value to a team like Tampa Bay, after acquiring QB Josh Freeman in the 1st Round in 2009, than a Defensive Back like Eric Berry. Pairing a big, strong armed QB with an athletic, big-play receiver could be the best possible option if one of the top DTs are not available.

We are on the same page. I agree with everything that is said here.

hagy34
01-21-2010, 11:58 PM
I'm going to respectfully disagree, but I won't be too decisive on this until he works out and shows he's in shape. I think Bryant is an elite athlete and as close we've seen to a complete package at WR since Calvin Johnson. He's got it all, a sudden athlete who plays with some physicality, makes plays over the middle of the field, is talented creating after the catch, and who has true breakaway speed and explosiveness. I don't think some people realize how good Bryant's feet are either. I like the Braylon Edwards comparison, though I think Dez is more sudden, more explosive, and faster than Edwards was coming out of Michigan.

Bryant is a Top 5 talent IMO, and could very well go 3rd Overall to Tampa if the Rams and Lions decide on Ndamukong Suh/Gerald McCoy. A star WR may bring more value to a team like Tampa Bay, after acquiring QB Josh Freeman in the 1st Round in 2009, than a Defensive Back like Eric Berry. Pairing a big, strong armed QB with an athletic, big-play receiver could be the best possible option if one of the top DTs are not available.

This is on the money for Dez Bryant. I agree with everything that is said here. While there is no doubt they need defensive help, the long term thought of Freeman, Bryant and Winslow may be too tough to pass up. A lot obviously depends on workouts and only time will tell.

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 12:07 AM
This is on the money for Dez Bryant. I agree with everything that is said here. While there is no doubt they need defensive help, the long term thought of Freeman, Bryant and Winslow may be too tough to pass up. A lot obviously depends on workouts and only time will tell.

That all said, I think if Ndamukong Suh/Gerald McCoy falls to 3rd Overall, he'll be a Buccaneer. I think they're definitely looking for a young star on defense to build around and help give the team an identity on that side of the ball, and I think they'll see the only way to do that is to build in the trenches first with an elite DL prospect such as Suh or McCoy. Still, I think Freeman-Bryant-Winslow has success written all over it and I think it'd help the team's running game and play-calling out enormously.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 01:14 AM

Hmm I don't know Pudge. I am fully on board with Bryant as a complete package prospect and definitely deserving of the top 10, but have to draw the line at comparisons to Calvin Johnson, who I still view as the best WR prospect I've ever seen.

I've seen lots of film on Dez because initially I wasn't really sold but have come around; I think he has a rare quality in a wideout which is that as a prospect he is dependable enough to be considered a franchise building block. I see more Vincent Jackson in him than Braylon Edwards but both are good starting points.

This draft is a little crazy in that aside from maybe Suh, there's a number of guys who are all floating around the same value point and Dez is right in there, so if Tampa decides getting Freeman a weapon is its top priority, than he will be a great pick. But I'll be just as unsurprised if he slips down to some potentially dangerous teams like the Steelers or Falcons.

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 01:19 AM
Hmm I don't know Pudge. I am fully on board with Bryant as a complete package prospect and definitely deserving of the top 10, but have to draw the line at comparisons to Calvin Johnson, who I still view as the best WR prospect I've ever seen.

I agree with you, just a little misunderstanding. I said since Calvin Johnson. Johnson was #1 Overall good, the best NFL prospect I've seen in my time really evaluating football, above and beyond the prototype at WR. Bryant, on the other hand, is closer to to a Top 3 value in that Larry Fitzgerald/Braylon Edwards mold.

I can't think of a way Bryant could get past Miami at 12th Overall.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 01:29 AM
I agree with you, just a little misunderstanding. I said since Calvin Johnson. Johnson was #1 Overall good, the best NFL prospect I've seen in my time really evaluating football, above and beyond the prototype at WR. Bryant, on the other hand, is closer to to a Top 3 value in that Larry Fitzgerald/Braylon Edwards mold.

I can't think of a way Bryant could get past Miami at 12th Overall.

oh yaaah my mistake. Hm well Parcells is not a huge WR fan but that's a pretty stellar fit. Can't wait to see how Dez runs at the combine.

TACKLE
01-22-2010, 01:42 AM
When going back and looking at what prospect he reminds me most of, I got to go with Charles Rogers. Both had a lot of physical similarities along with their styles of play. Though Dez doesn't have quite the top end speed the Rogers had. Rogers was timed at a 4.28 at his pro-day though he didn't quite play at the speed. Rogers 40 time put him over the top and over the top of Andre Johnson and Terrance Newman. Rogers may be a bit better prospect than Dez but they are definitely very comparable in my eyes.

RealityCheck
01-22-2010, 10:13 AM
They could trade with Buffalo, so this way Buffalo takes Clausen at #3 and Tampa gets Bryant at #9.

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
They could trade with Buffalo, so this way Buffalo takes Clausen at #3 and Tampa gets Bryant at #9.

After he works out, both at the Combine and for NFL teams privately or at his pro, I doubt there's much of a chance he lasts until 9th Overall. I think this guy is going to surprise some people with his speed, fluidity, and suddenness in addition to be a big chiseled receiver. I think Top 3 is a chance, and Top 5 should be a likelihood with teams like Tampa Bay and Kansas City in there. Ultimately can see him falling to 7th to Cleveland, but doubt he gets too far past that.

ojjuiceman
01-23-2010, 01:05 AM
I think Top 3 is a chance, and Top 5 should be a likelihood with teams like Tampa Bay and Kansas City in there.

Whatever happened to Dwayne Bowe ??

CC.SD
01-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Whatever happened to Dwayne Bowe ??

He might get traded plus they still need offensive weapons. I'm sure they'll bring Chambers back but Bryant would still be sick.