PDA

View Full Version : 2008 RB class. Best in NFL History?

KCStud
01-19-2010, 12:17 AM
Look at this incredibly awesome class of RB's. IMO this has a great chance to be the best RB class ever.

Darren McFadden
Chris Johnson
Jonathan Stewart
Jamaal Charles
Rashard Mendenhall
Felix Jones
Matt Forte
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith
Steve Slaton
Tashard Choice
Justin Forsett
Clifton Smith

prock
01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
funny thing is the first one taken may be the worst.

Stranger
01-19-2010, 12:42 AM
No Tim Hightower love :(

Still it's a ridiculous amount of RB talent. Hopefully McFadden can turn it on over the next few years.

Bald_81
01-19-2010, 12:45 AM
Imagine if Darren McFadden was living up to his potential, then this class would be incredible.

KCJ58
01-19-2010, 01:09 AM
Imagine if Darren McFadden was living up to his potential, then this class would be incredible.

you can't really blame him he got drafted by the Raiders

Addict
01-19-2010, 06:41 AM

Mr. Sticksforlegs? He could have bombed anywhere. But being in Oakland didn't help.

RealityCheck
01-19-2010, 09:24 AM
2011 would like to have a word with you.

Jacquizz Rodgers
DeMarco Murray
Ryan Williams
Mark Ingram
Noel Devine
Brandon Saine
Evan Royster
Allen Bradford
Kendall Hunter

RaiderNation
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
If DMC would fill half his potential .....

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2010, 12:37 PM
2011 would like to have a word with you.

Jacquizz Rodgers
DeMarco Murray
Ryan Williams
Mark Ingram
Noel Devine
Brandon Saine
Evan Royster
Allen Bradford
Kendall Hunter

Eh Ryan Williams and Quizz are the only guys I can see being all pro's from that list and Quizz has size issues to deal with. Ingram is the only other guy outside of those two who has potential star power. The rest I see more as situational backs. Guys like Saine, Royster Bradford, and Hunter are all great college players but really nothing stands out about them to separate them from all of the other backs trying to find work in the league.

bigbuc
01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
I was thinking the other day, what could RUN DMC do if he got drafted by the Jets and not the Raiders.

Hines
01-19-2010, 01:25 PM
Eh Ryan Williams and Quizz are the only guys I can see being all pro's from that list and Quizz has size issues to deal with. Ingram is the only other guy outside of those two who has potential star power. The rest I see more as situational backs. Guys like Saine, Royster Bradford, and Hunter are all great college players but really nothing stands out about them to separate them from all of the other backs trying to find work in the league.

I can't quote you 100%, but I am sure you said you loved Royster and thought he was a really good back that will do well in the NFL.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-19-2010, 01:31 PM
I can't quote you 100%, but I am sure you said you loved Royster and thought he was a really good back that will do well in the NFL.

I think he has incredible patience and vision. I think he has WR hands and is very smart. Still his lack of speed and overwhelming strength prevents him from being anything special. I think he could definitely be a serviceable starter in the NFL but nothing more. Much of my hype for him was as a Heisman candidate though.

Jakey
01-19-2010, 07:10 PM
It was a rediculous draft class, im sooo glad we landed Rashard when we did. And i can still remember when everyone laughed at Tennessee for drafting CJ as a major reach...wheres all the haters now? :p

Bengalsrocket
01-19-2010, 08:32 PM
It was a rediculous draft class, im sooo glad we landed Rashard when we did. And i can still remember when everyone laughed at Tennessee for drafting CJ as a major reach...wheres all the haters now? :p

It turned out to be a smart decision, but at the time, it was still considered a reach. We will never know, due to our lack of time machine, but it's possible that he would have lasted to their pick in the 2nd round.

I remember a lot of people saying he could get picked up anywhere in the 2nd round, possibly early 3rd round.

The titans are definitely glad now that they didn't risk it then, but you just never know what could have happened had they not picked him there.

Like I said, still an incredibly smart move, and it just goes to show that you always draft the player that is going to give your specific team more wins, Instead of picking players based on their "draft value".

M.O.T.H.
01-19-2010, 09:39 PM
I wouldnt have it any other way. I got the back I wanted in Felix and now it's time to finally hand him the reigns. I honestly believe if Felix was playing on the Titans, he'd be one of the best backs in the league right now. And this is absolutely nothing to do w/ CJ, I'm just saying he would have at least been given the opportunity there already. The guy has been every bit as explosive as CJ, but in a much smaller role. Sadly, Dallas has been holding him back but, that should change next year.

I remember when a lot of guys thought Felix was too small. Well he's probably about a solid 220 now, so no worries there. He's freaking huge now. haha.

As for the rest of the guys, it is mighty impressive. Although, Kevin Smith, Matt Forte, and Steve Slaton all looked rather pedestrian this year.

baronzeus
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
The guy has been every bit as explosive as CJ, but in a much smaller role. Sadly, Dallas has been holding him back but, that should change next year.

I disagree with "every bit as explosive" but I agree with everything else. I was shocked that the Cowboys didn't use him more.

At the same time, if CJ had gotten just 20 more carries he likely would have the most rushing yards in HISTORY, so I don't think we should compare any other backs to him unless it's as a worse version of him.

JoeJoeBrown
01-20-2010, 10:19 AM

I'm sure you looked at the 2008 list in 2007 and said "Damn, this is going to be the best RB class ever! Tim Hightower is going to be a starter. Ray Rice is going to make people look like fools." Etc...

Point being that Reality Check, you, or any of us don't have any idea of how good or bad that class will be. Hell, Brandon Saine has track speed and is big and strong. He could suck in the NFL or he could be awesome. It's a crapshoot.

Splat
01-20-2010, 10:34 AM
Jamaal Charles in the 3rd round = Win

Thanks Herm.

ElectricEye
01-20-2010, 10:47 AM
Jamaal Charles in the 3rd round = Win

Thanks Herm.

I'm amazed he lasted that long. He played like a first round pick his Senior year. Criminally underrated coming out.

killxswitch
01-20-2010, 10:56 AM
So what is more impressive, the 08 RB class or the '95 WR class?

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 11:02 AM
So what is more impressive, the 08 RB class or the '95 WR class?
Both have nothing on the 1999 QB class :rolleyes:

Hines
01-20-2010, 04:00 PM
I wouldnt have it any other way. I got the back I wanted in Felix and now it's time to finally hand him the reigns. I honestly believe if Felix was playing on the Titans, he'd be one of the best backs in the league right now. And this is absolutely nothing to do w/ CJ, I'm just saying he would have at least been given the opportunity there already. The guy has been every bit as explosive as CJ, but in a much smaller role. Sadly, Dallas has been holding him back but, that should change next year.

I remember when a lot of guys thought Felix was too small. Well he's probably about a solid 220 now, so no worries there. He's freaking huge now. haha.

As for the rest of the guys, it is mighty impressive. Although, Kevin Smith, Matt Forte, and Steve Slaton all looked rather pedestrian this year.

I would trade MBIII and let Felix and Choice take all the carries. I also remember A LOT of Cowboy fans being pissed off they passed up Mendenhall for Felix.

OaklandRaider56
01-20-2010, 04:22 PM

If only he played for a great team like the rams. Eh?

M.O.T.H.
01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
I would trade MBIII and let Felix and Choice take all the carries. I also remember A LOT of Cowboy fans being pissed off they passed up Mendenhall for Felix.

haha. Which didnt make much since to begin with, because we were looking for a speedier compliment to Marion. Felix just added a different dimension. We were looking at the Jones', Charles', and Johnsons' of the world. As for trading MBIII in favor of Jones and Choice getting the workload...I'm right on board with that, myself.

bitonti
01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
Look at this incredibly awesome class of RB's. IMO this has a great chance to be the best RB class ever.

Darren McFadden
Chris Johnson
Jonathan Stewart
Jamaal Charles
Rashard Mendenhall
Felix Jones
Matt Forte
Ray Rice
Kevin Smith
Steve Slaton
Tashard Choice
Justin Forsett
Clifton Smith

it was ok. there are alot of starters on that list but only about 3 super stars. guys like slaton, forte had soph slumps.

wogitalia
01-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Sadly, Dallas has been holding him back but, that should change next year.

Yeah, it's Dallas holding him back, not his complete inability to stay healthy.

Guy hasn't been able to play through the slightest inconveniences and it's the teams fault, nice.

WMD
01-21-2010, 12:59 AM
All that RB talent and we got Kevin damn Smith. I don't much like Kevin Smith.

M.O.T.H.
01-21-2010, 01:30 AM
Yeah, it's Dallas holding him back, not his complete inability to stay healthy.

Guy hasn't been able to play through the slightest inconveniences and it's the teams fault, nice.

Ummm...yeah. About that...even when Felix has been completely healthy, he wasnt even seeing 10 carries per game. The guy was an after thought. Garrett has admitted in the past to forgetting about him when Marion is running well.

Perhaps you should watch more Dallas games...time and time again we've seen a healthy Felix Jones having monster games averaging over 7-8 yards per carry, only to be left on the sidelines when they need him most. The only reason he's even seen an increase in carries now is because, Barber has been hobbled and JJ complained about the lack of carries for Felix Jones. And this is actually the greatest thing that could have happened. Garrett has done a horrible job of using him up until this point. He's been completely healthy since week 7, given a clean bill of health and deemed ready, he should be given the ball. Not babied or relegated to 5-8 touches.

If we drafted Chris Johnson, I'd almost guarantee he'd be looking at the same kind of workload Felix has had here. As I said before, even Jerry Jones publicly called out Garrett for his usage of Felix Jones. It's no secret that he's been under used, even when healthy.

foozball
01-21-2010, 01:56 AM
so far, there are 7 1000 yard rushers in that class

that doesn't even count McFadden, Kevin Smith, Tashard Choice, or Felix Jones, who I think will all eventually have a 1000 yard season.

Potentially 11 1000 yard rushers in a draft class...thats insane.

Addict
01-21-2010, 04:11 AM

Mendenhall was (and is still) my favourite running back out of that class... I don't lose the faith.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-21-2010, 07:04 AM
All that RB talent and we got Kevin damn Smith. I don't much like Kevin Smith.

I like Kevin Smith. I don't think he'll be an upper echelon back ever but he's far above serviceable. He's been surprisingly productive behind that O-line. He's a very complete back. I like him a lot more than Forte. Smith shows better balance and center of gravity as well as being quicker and hitting the holes faster.

P-L
01-21-2010, 09:55 AM
We have to see how things turn out. If guys like Forte, Smith, and Slaton don't get back on track then this class takes a major hit.

Staubach12
01-21-2010, 01:44 PM

At the time, I was pissed that we didn't take Mike Jenkins or Chris Johnson. We ended up getting Jenkins, but I still would have like to have gotten CJ.

By the way, I agree. The way Barber runs, he's not going to hold up for a long time. We should maximize Barber's value by trading him and keep Choice and Barber as the two guys. That's a damn good combination.

SeanTaylorRIP
01-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Barber also simply isn't an elite back or even close to it anymore. He has lost so much explosion and really isn't even that hard to tackle anymore. He's in the same boat as Portis. Years wise they are young but they have taken such beatings that at this point they are just former versions of themselves.