PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes Vs Rolando McClain

bigbluedefense
01-19-2010, 09:37 AM
I want to hear your thoughts on the 2. So far, from what ive seen, I think the difference between them is not all that great.

Rolando is a beast, don't get me wrong, but he's not very fast. He looks like a 4.8 guy. He plays tall, tackles tall. He has great awareness, instincts, he's smart, his coverage concepts are very sound although he's not the greatest in coverage bc of his speed. He's a leader etc.

Spikes seems to me like he plays a little faster. He's nastier in the phonebooth although both are pretty nasty in the booth, he's a better blitzer, makes more plays in the backfield. Coverage is not as good, but I feel like his coverage can become better than McClains with time. He plays with a lower center of gravity. Higher motor.

I don't want to make this thread a knock on McClain, bc I love the guy. But right now, from watching him, I don't see how he's a top 10 guy. To be a top 10 LB, you gotta have it all. And I don't think McClain is fast enough to be a top 10 guy.

Contrarily, I think Spikes is getting lowballed right now. I don't think he's as far off from McClain as people think.

My opinion on the 2 can change, as Im still in the process of evaluating both of them, but thats my first impressions of the 2 so far.

Thoughts?

GoRavens
01-19-2010, 09:43 AM
Good topic.
I think Spikes is the more complete, NFL ready, prospect.
He's faster, more aggressive, and exceptionally better in coverage.
Both are great linebackers and deserve top 15 picks

bigbluedefense
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Good topic.
I think Spikes is the more complete, NFL ready, prospect.
He's faster, more aggressive, and exceptionally better in coverage.
Both are great linebackers and deserve top 15 picks

I don't think Spikes is better in coverage. McClain is better from what I see.

However, Spikes is more of an opportunist in coverage, he gambles more.

Neither are world beaters in coverage, but McClain is much more sound. He understands zone concepts better, he flows in and out of his zones, redirects guys in his zones better than Spikes, and is solid chasing backs and blocking TEs out of the backfield in man.

bigbluedefense
01-19-2010, 09:49 AM
I feel like both are better suited to be 3-4 ILBs than 4-3 MIKEs.

McClain reminds me of David Harris.

And Spikes reminds me of Bart Scott.

They're different backers, both with good qualities and bad qualities, and I think it really depends moreso on what you're looking for in your MIKE. I don't think 1 is necessarily clearcut better than the other right now.

At least from what Ive seen. I need to grab some more game tapes and really sit down and break both of them down play for play for a couple more games.

stephenson86
01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
i think if your looking for an EJ Henderson type linebacker both are perfect, either would thrive in tennessee as we take them middle off on nickel plays keeping in the two outsides

STsACE
01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Both look like solid prospects, respectively #1 and #2 at their position.

I'd give the edge to McLain right now. Spikes is getting lowballed, IMO, because of the eyegouge incident. A bit of a temper that could result in unneeded personal foul penalties at the next level. It also helped that he put self punishment on himself.

Neither will break any speed records, but I feel both play faster than their timed speed. They both take good angles and need some good coaching to take their games to the next level in the NFL.

Spikes looks like he could play well in either the 4-3 or 3-4. McLain looks like he's born to play ILB in the 3-4. Really depends on how each team views these guys. Some will probably have them 1, 2 and others may have them 1a, 1b.

This just my opinion on both. I didn't watch all their games for their careers as I'm a Big 10 guy myself. I only saw Spikes and McLain for 4-5 games each. As a Browns fan, I like McLain better, because our ILBs for the long haul are 240lbs or less (DQ, Maiava). Bowens is okay, he's bigger at 265, but over 30 and has 1 maybe 2 years left of being productive. McLain looks as though he could be a D captain within 2 years.

Brown Leader
01-19-2010, 11:32 AM
I want to hear your thoughts on the 2. So far, from what ive seen, I think the difference between them is not all that great.

Rolando is a beast, don't get me wrong, but he's not very fast. He looks like a 4.8 guy. He plays tall, tackles tall. He has great awareness, instincts, he's smart, his coverage concepts are very sound although he's not the greatest in coverage bc of his speed. He's a leader etc.

Spikes seems to me like he plays a little faster. He's nastier in the phonebooth although both are pretty nasty in the booth, he's a better blitzer, makes more plays in the backfield. Coverage is not as good, but I feel like his coverage can become better than McClains with time. He plays with a lower center of gravity. Higher motor.

I don't want to make this thread a knock on McClain, bc I love the guy. But right now, from watching him, I don't see how he's a top 10 guy. To be a top 10 LB, you gotta have it all. And I don't think McClain is fast enough to be a top 10 guy.

Contrarily, I think Spikes is getting lowballed right now. I don't think he's as far off from McClain as people think.

My opinion on the 2 can change, as Im still in the process of evaluating both of them, but thats my first impressions of the 2 so far.

Thoughts?

Basically all agreed. Comparatively I'd say McClain similar to Karlos Dansby and Spikes-Kawika Mitchell.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2010, 11:44 AM
I'd be shocked if McClain tested anywhere near Carlos Dansby as far as straight line speed.

Still, I think both McClain and Spikes are the top ILBs available, and I don't see why they couldn't both be 43 mikes.

I think Spikes ends up a Giant, BTW.

yourfavestoner
01-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Pretty much agree with everything you're saying BBD. They're 1A and 1B to me right now. They're essentially the same player in terms of measurables and playing style. One is just a newer, fresher face to the draft analysis.

BeerBaron
01-19-2010, 11:56 AM
If I'm running a 3-4, I'd like to have McClain more. Spikes if I'm running a 4-3.

Though I still wouldn't be upset with either one in either offense...I think they'll both succeed, but being the leader on an elite, championship defense and not having an eye-gouging incident will push McClain up further imo.

I think he's going to be a monster 3-4 ILB, and I know several Chiefs fans who would love to have him where they're at.

yourfavestoner
01-19-2010, 12:31 PM
If I'm running a 3-4, I'd like to have McClain more. Spikes if I'm running a 4-3.

Though I still wouldn't be upset with either one in either offense...I think they'll both succeed, but being the leader on an elite, championship defense and not having an eye-gouging incident will push McClain up further imo.

I think he's going to be a monster 3-4 ILB, and I know several Chiefs fans who would love to have him where they're at.

Remember, though, that Spikes was the leader of an elite defense that won a championship just a season ago. Like I said, McClain is just the newer, fresher face of the draft process.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, because as previously stated, they're essentially the same player. If McClain goes top 10, though, I'll hold that Spikes will be much better value at whatever spot he gets selected.

DaBrowns41
01-19-2010, 12:33 PM
Actually, if anything Spikes is slower, and that's one of the bigger knocks on him. His quickness is above average at best, and his block shedding is mediocre. He's a good wrap up tackler, and a solid defensive leader, but he's not as talented as Rolando McClain, who compares to Patrick Willis at the next level.

Spikes will be a late first rounder, and McClain should be a top 10 pick.

AntoinCD
01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
One thing for me that separates McClain from Spikes is his intelligence and leadership. They are both good against the run and can shed blockers however neither has very good speed or sideline to sideline ability which make them both good fits for the 34. At the minute everyone loves McClain however I don't think he goes top ten after all the testing. LBs rarely go that high and I don't think he will be a good fit in the 43 which limits his chances.

katnip
01-19-2010, 12:45 PM
I liken McClain to the Jets David Harris.......Except maybe a little bigger (I think he's listed in the 250's). I've only seen Alabama roll all over Texas though.

brat316
01-19-2010, 01:10 PM
I think both go to 3-4 teams in the the 10-25 range. Both are going to play inside, and in the 3-4 the Ilb are thumper type of guys and aren't as important as the Olbs. Also they are only as good as the NT in front of them.

Ilb in the 3-4 being thumper type of guys usually, you can pick up these type of backers in the later rounds. And try and address either your line up front or the olb. But I think there are certain teams in the 10-25 range that can go Lb since they are fine at the other spots.

One team is the Steelers, they always have a surprise pick and are always thinking 1 year headed on the defensive side, since their defensive rookies rarely playe the first year.

Jaguars they shows signs of running a 3-4, or at least give looks of it every now and then.

Dolphins possibly

49ers possibly Spikes is still doing enough, but getting their in age.

Pats, Cards Dansby tagged,

Splat
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM

Yes, Please.

Babylon
01-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Actually, if anything Spikes is slower, and that's one of the bigger knocks on him. His quickness is above average at best, and his block shedding is mediocre. He's a good wrap up tackler, and a solid defensive leader, but he's not as talented as Rolando McClain, who compares to Patrick Willis at the next level.

Spikes will be a late first rounder, and McClain should be a top 10 pick.

Agree. To me McClain looks like a 4.6 guy and he arrives at the ball with more explosion. Not quite Patick Willis i dont think but close. Spikes looks like he's a little slow and doesnt shake blocks all that well.

DaBrowns41
01-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Agree. To me McClain looks like a 4.6 guy and he arrives at the ball with more explosion. Not quite Patick Willis i dont think but close. Spikes looks like he's a little slow and doesnt shake blocks all that well.

I think the difference between Willis and McClain at the collegiate level is that Willis didn't have all the talent around him. He had Peria Jerry, and a few other solid contributors, but he didn't have Barron, Deaderick, Jackson, Arenas, Mt. Cody, and last year he had Hightower healthy next to him, etc.

It's also hard to truly compare Willis and McClain at the collegiate level because Willis played in a base 43, and McClain played ILB in a true base 34.

RealityCheck
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
This. (10 characters)

vidae
01-19-2010, 01:43 PM
At least point I don't care how big of a reach McClain would be at 5. The Chiefs clearly lack a defensive presence and he fills our biggest need.

Unless there is a possibility of us trading back a few spots and still landing him, he is definitely who I want at #5.

GoRavens
01-19-2010, 01:47 PM
From what I've seen on tape, Spikes in stronger, and faster. I see him testing better in the bench press, and the 40 yard dash at the combine.

KaneMarko
01-19-2010, 02:21 PM
IDK. When I watched both I saw a pretty significant difference in speed and athleticism. Size-wise they are about the same. But it just looked like McClain was significantly more athletic and fluid. I think Spikes has a meaner disposition and might hit a little harder. But, maybe I'm wrong, but I just felt McClain was faster, more athletic, and more complete. Just my take.

GhostDeini
01-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Brandon Spikes is better. He is a better blitzer and better in coverage, what he have like 5-6 pic sixes in his career ? Plus he's brings more intensity as mentioned above.

McClain is not bad himself but I think people are overrating him a little bit because they always show him putting his teamates in position right before the snap but every other MLB does that.

KaneMarko
01-19-2010, 02:44 PM
At least point I don't care how big of a reach McClain would be at 5. The Chiefs clearly lack a defensive presence and he fills our biggest need.

Unless there is a possibility of us trading back a few spots and still landing him, he is definitely who I want at #5.

McClain to KC makes perfect sense. We need a leader. We need MUCH improvement at ILB in our 3-4. McClain comes from a defensive system similar to what he'd be in here in KC. Plays for a coach from the same coaching tree as our coach here in KC is from.

It's almost like he's destined to be a Chiefs. Plus, the last time the Chiefs took a stud LB from Alabama it turned out pretty good.

BeerBaron
01-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Remember, though, that Spikes was the leader of an elite defense that won a championship just a season ago. Like I said, McClain is just the newer, fresher face of the draft process.

I'm not saying that one is better than the other, because as previously stated, they're essentially the same player. If McClain goes top 10, though, I'll hold that Spikes will be much better value at whatever spot he gets selected.

Oh, i didn't forget that fact, but the football world is based on the "what have you done for me lately" concept, and since Spikes was the leader on a championship D, he's had the eye gouging incident and has seen his team get beat by McClain's.

I think Spikes' stock would definitely have been higher last year had he come out, similar to McClain's now, though last year had some better top end true linebacker talent.

Well remember, (and this feels like forever ago now, lol...I'm getting old) but wasn't Patrick Willis supposedly a top 10 reach and a questionable fit in a 3-4? That worked out really well.....and we just saw an elite linebacker go in the top 3 last year with Curry. His rookie year wasn't anything great and he was overshadowed by some later selected guys, but it's still precedent that it can happen.

The only other guy likely to be there when the Chiefs pick who'd make me think twice over McClain is Berry.

Either would give you the major defensive playmaker you really need.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2010, 06:58 PM
McClain is so friggin HUGE for an ILB!! Take a look again at him standing next to Dick Butkus, who's 6'3. Butkus is crouched a little, but McClain looks almost 3 inches taller.

If he's 6'5 and almost 260# and can run close to 4.7 flat, he should be a lock in the top 5.

Babylon
01-19-2010, 07:02 PM
McClain to KC makes perfect sense. We need a leader. We need MUCH improvement at ILB in our 3-4. McClain comes from a defensive system similar to what he'd be in here in KC. Plays for a coach from the same coaching tree as our coach here in KC is from.

It's almost like he's destined to be a Chiefs. Plus, the last time the Chiefs took a stud LB from Alabama it turned out pretty good.

Differance there is Derrick Thomas was legendary for getting to the QB. If you draft an inside lb that early to me he should be able to apply pressure. Maybe he can.

BaLLiN
01-19-2010, 07:08 PM
Spikes, i mean McClain will probably be the better pro with his knowledge, measurables, instincts. But the big thing that Spikes has that McClain doesn't is incredible competitive drive and nasty demeanor. Always felt he was better value (considering that he'll be in top 10 picks most likely and Spikes 2nd rounder)

Jakey
01-19-2010, 07:18 PM
I like them both allot, and dont think theres a whole lot of diference between them in terms of draft stock atm. There stock will probably be altered after the combine...which i see Spikes testing better than McClain tbh. I like them both as 3-4 ILB's allot.

thule
01-19-2010, 07:21 PM
One thing that amazes me about Spikes is that most of the people here talk about what other people say. Yet we have a whole thread debating the two and noone mentions that Spikes had a bad ACL tear that he played with the whole season. Or that he wasn't on the field a ton this year.

His on the field production was nice...but to tell you the truth if you turn on the tape the Gators defense didn't miss a beat without him. Spikes is a nice player...but there is a reason the scouts don't have him as high as McClain. Add in the fact that Spikes timed speeds is reportedly not as good as McClains you can see why there is such seperation.

The amount of followers in this thread is funny.

BaLLiN
01-19-2010, 07:28 PM
One thing that amazes me about Spikes is that most of the people here talk about what other people say. Yet we have a whole thread debating the two and noone mentions that Spikes had a bad ACL tear that he played with the whole season. Or that he wasn't on the field a ton this year.

His on the field production was nice...but to tell you the truth if you turn on the tape the Gators defense didn't miss a beat without him. Spikes is a nice player...but there is a reason the scouts don't have him as high as McClain. Add in the fact that Spikes timed speeds is reportedly not as good as McClains you can see why there is such seperation.

The amount of followers in this thread is funny.

if he checks out fine, and doesnt run anything higher than a 4.8 i dont really care that he didnt play much this year. Im more impressed with the way he plays, the stats are nice, yes.

Scott Wright
01-19-2010, 07:30 PM
That's like comparing Eric Berry and Kam Chancellor. Completely different levels.

BeerBaron
01-19-2010, 08:07 PM
That's like comparing Eric Berry and Kam Chancellor. Completely different levels.

I think Spikes is closer to McClain than Chancellor is to Berry though.

Splat
01-19-2010, 08:12 PM
The Chiefs will just take McClain in round one and Spikes in round two with Hali and DJ playing the outside and just be stacked at LB... :)

ElectricEye
01-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Completely agree. Don't know where all of this is coming from. McClain is a superior athletic specimen and it really shows on the field. It's not like McClain isn't an instinctive, heady player because he is more athletic either. Just does a lot more on the field and better than Spikes does.

Saints-Tigers
01-19-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't agree with that at all. McClain isn't on the same level as Berry, and Spikes isn't nearly as low as Chancellor.

FUNBUNCHER
01-19-2010, 11:19 PM
I don't agree with that at all. McClain isn't on the same level as Berry, and Spikes isn't nearly as low as Chancellor.

Agree, and I expect both to go in the top 25, especially if Spikes puts up a decent 40 time.
McClain has incredible buzz right now, but if Hightower wasn't injured, I don't know if McClain was the best ILB on Alabama's roster. As good as McClain is being touted, Hightower is a B-E-A-S-T with Cornelius Bennett and Derrick Thomas athletic ability.

IMO McCLain seems like a chase and tackle type 'backer, but not really a 'collision artist' in the box, a thudder.
I have questions about his upper body strength and his physicality for being such a huge ILB. He is fluid and can run well for his size, but I think I may be pulling back a little from the Urlacher comparisons just yet.

Scott Wright
01-20-2010, 12:06 AM
Spikes is not nearly as good of a pro prospect as some make him out to be. Certainly not in the same league as Maualuga and Laurinaitis and they both fell to Round 2. If Spikes performs as bad in workouts as most predict (5.0?) he could be in for a freefall.

I wouldn't even classify him as a second round lock at this point.

TACKLE
01-20-2010, 12:12 AM
Spikes is not nearly as good of a pro prospect as some make him out to be. Certainly not in the same league as Maualuga and Laurinaitis and they both fell to Round 2. If Spikes performs as bad in workouts as most predict (5.0?) he could be in for a freefall.

I could definitely see have a Paul Posluzny type fall. We've seen two-down MLB's fall a lot recently. With that being said, I still think he'll end up being a quality, starting MLB in the NFL.

Arsenal
01-20-2010, 12:54 AM
Did anyone watch the SEC Championship game? Brandon Spikes played flat out bad, he couldn't shake off blockers at all and looked really slow. He certainly couldn't keep up with Mark Ingram and company and even when he blitzed, there were times Greg McElroy was able to escape him pretty easily. On the other hand, Rolando McClain was all over the field and threw around Tim Tebow like a rag doll. The entire Florida defense looked lethargic while the entire Alabama defense was amped all game so yes that has something to do with it but still McClain came out of that game looking a lot better, at least from what I saw.

I think Spikes will end up as a solid, starting ILB in the 3-4, but he's never going to be able to lead a defense like I think McClain can.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2010, 05:05 AM
Brandon Spikes has been playing injured this year. Go back and look at his junior tape and you'll see a different player.

When I compare the 2, I just don't see the huge difference everyone is referring to. I'm still waiting for someone to break them down trait for trait and tell me exactly why McClain is that much better. Don't just tell me "bc he is". Give me concrete examples why.

I just don't see it honestly. I think McClain is way too big at 260, he needs to get down to 250 at least. He's not nearly as athletic as Willis was, or even Curry for that matter.

He plays tall and tackles tall.

Don't get me wrong, I love McClain. My main point is I don't see how he's that much better than Spikes. Quite honestly, when I put on the tape, I'm more impressed with Spikes than I am with McClain. This year with Spikes injuries you can see a drop off, but I'm assuming he'll be healthy in the NFL and when I project both of them, I don't see much difference at all.

Put on the tape of last year's championship game. Spikes was beasting it. He was nasty and aggressive. He plays just as tough as McClain. Plays just as fast. He's a leader too. Listen to his pregame speeches, his teammates follow him. I don't think the intangibles are that far off from McClain. He plays nastier too. I like that in my linebackers.

My main point is, I think when the dust settles, you won't see much difference between Spikes and McClain in the NFL. I think people are overrating McClain a lot right now, and underrating Spikes as well. When you look at the value, I think Spikes provides you much more value in Round 2 vs taking McClain in the top 10.

I don't view McClain as a top 10 guy. He's not versatile enough to be a top 10 guy.

Now if the projections were having McClain in the teens and Spikes as a guy who went in the late 1st, I would have no problem with that. But when I look at both of these guys, I just don't understand why McClain is being touted as a guy who might go top 5 and Spikes is a guy who will freefall in the draft. Im not buying it. I don't see it.

I think the combine and the long offseason of film study by scouts will confirm my beliefs on the 2. Right now I think McClain is getting over hyped.

And like I said, make no mistake, I LOVE McClain. But I just don't see how he projects the way he does, when he just doesn't look so much more impressive to me than a guy like Spikes, who is a late 1st guy at best according to recent projections.

And I disagree with the sentiment that he's worse than Rey and Laurenitis were (Spikes that is). I have him grading out similarly to Rey, and better than Laurenitis.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2010, 05:09 AM
I add this caveat however, I am still in the process of evaluating the 2. So again, my sentiments can change.

Last year when I was studying Rey Maluaga, I loved him, then I hated him, then right before the draft I loved him again. So my opinions can change, and I won't be surprised if my opinion on this changes before the draft.

But for now, as I'm looking at both these guys, this is how I feel about em. I'll continue to look into both of them and break em down.

bigbluedefense
01-20-2010, 05:23 AM
In an unrelated note, #41 on Florida is a bad mamba jamba himself. Keep an eye on him in upcoming years. I don't know anything about the guy, don't know if he's eligible or if he's coming out, but whenever I look at Florida tape, he's running around making plays.

I like #41 on Florida.

yourfavestoner
01-20-2010, 10:12 AM
In an unrelated note, #41 on Florida is a bad mamba jamba himself. Keep an eye on him in upcoming years. I don't know anything about the guy, don't know if he's eligible or if he's coming out, but whenever I look at Florida tape, he's running around making plays.

I like #41 on Florida.

Ryan Stamper. He's a senior and draft eligible this year.

Agree with you on everything concerning the Spikes/McClain argument.

His on the field production was nice...but to tell you the truth if you turn on the tape the Gators defense didn't miss a beat without him.

In the Arkansas game, he played one series. The Hogs gained -8 yards on that series. After he came out, they ran for 141 and threw for 224.

People are really underrating Spikes' pass rush ability, too. They'd line him up at DE quite often and he consistently got pressure and disrupted the QB.

KaneMarko
01-20-2010, 02:50 PM
Differance there is Derrick Thomas was legendary for getting to the QB. If you draft an inside lb that early to me he should be able to apply pressure. Maybe he can.

Very true. He'll never be anything close to the pass rusher DT was. But McClain is a good blitzer and appears to be able to do everything else.

Bengals78
01-20-2010, 03:04 PM
Where McClain really stands out to me is his ability to always find the ball. I remember earlier this year he made some crazy plays just by being aware of the ball and not getting out of position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAP7uaJiaKE
http://www.strimoo.com/video/14356244/Rolando-McClain-interception-Veoh.html

bitonti
01-20-2010, 04:28 PM
he was better value (considering that he'll be in top 10 picks most likely and Spikes 2nd rounder)

from that perspective i can see brandon spikes being a better option. Spikes is cheaper. He is also a better pass rusher, or at least has more experience doing it.

but from almost all other aspects, McClain seems to be better. The workouts will tell the tale...

DraftSwag
01-21-2010, 05:29 PM
I havent got to watch Rolando McClain on tape, but I have watched Brandon Spikes and he is suspect. I watched the FB from LSU last year completely pack his lunch and take him to the woodshed. He seems like a dirty player that has no class. Mcclain from what I have seen from tv scouting looks like a top 10 pick. I love him, but I havent got the opportunity to actually watch him and evaluate him.

GoRavens
01-21-2010, 06:17 PM

If Spikes runs a 5.0 I'd be shocked. I don't think he's that slow at all (4.75-4.90) 5.0 would knock him to the 2nd, maybe 3rd round!

thebow305
01-21-2010, 06:46 PM
I think McClain is better at both blitzing and in coverage. He's the all around linebacker that all claimed Aaron Curry was last year.

STUD.

thebow305
01-21-2010, 06:47 PM

I <3 this.

FUNBUNCHER
01-21-2010, 07:01 PM
If Spikes runs a 5.0 I'd be shocked. I don't think he's that slow at all (4.75-4.90) 5.0 would knock him to the 2nd, maybe 3rd round!
Nothing hurts an ILB prospect more than running a slow 40 time, almost more than any other position.
Laurinaitis was a projected top 25 pick until he couldn't break 4.75 in the 40.
Same thing happened to Maualuga.

If Spikes runs slower than a 4.8, I could see him struggling to make it into the 3rd round.

That said, I think he has an excellent shot to start as a rookie no matter where he goes.

YAYareaRB
01-21-2010, 07:11 PM
I think Rolando McClain has more star potential than Spikes does. Spikes seems like he's gonna follow in the footsteps of Channing Crowder. Good not great. Very vocal. Hopefully Spikes is more versed with geography than Crowder is.

CC.SD
01-21-2010, 10:11 PM

But Scott, haven't both of those guys surpassed expectations even as rookies? They are both considered young blue chips for their franchise, and both fell because their measurables/ability to place in space was considered lacking. They are both probably going to end up considered serious steals as 2nd rounders. I can definitely see Spikes falling into the same boat.

wogitalia
01-22-2010, 12:12 AM
They are both considered young blue chips for their franchise, and both fell because their measurables/ability to place in space was considered lacking. They are both probably going to end up considered serious steals as 2nd rounders. I can definitely see Spikes falling into the same boat.

This. LB, especially ILB, is more instincts than anything else. Especially in a 3-4 where you are essentially filling a hole and it is about 80% whether you read run or pass right and then get on it.

The number of linebackers over the last few years who have fallen from measurables and over analysis is kind of scary. Especially seniors, who may even get more over analysed than QBs who go back. The funniest thing is that ILB may be the easiest position to scout as it translates so well from college to pro. If you are an elite LB in a good conference with adequate measurables, you tend to do well.

David Harris, Maulauga, Laurinaitis, Woodley, Clay Matthews, Beason, Posluszny, Bradley, Ryans and Totupu are all names that come to mind as guys who slid in the draft to late 1st or further who had some kind of measurable concern, generally timed speed. All of them were fairly beastly in college, most were dominant forces. It is a trend that is developing.

Spikes just seems like the latest, McClain if he tests slow could yet become a steal and I wouldn't be surprised if as this thing goes on he starts to get over-analysed and drops as a prospect also. At this point I'd actually be surprised if Spikes went in the first and that is just ridiculous to be honest.