S Gerald Sensabaugh - $2.4 million 1st
NT Junior Siavii
DE Marcus Spears - $1.1 million
K Shaun Suisham
S Pat Watkins

Macarthur
01-19-2010, 11:35 AM
I'm okay with what you've pointed out.

I think a guy like Barber is valuable in the right role. However, I wonder if he or the staff will swallow their pride and give Felix and Choice the bulk of the carries. You may be right that the only way to save face to to cut him.

I think we ought to make a run at Donald Penn and that would free us up in the draft early to go safety or DL.

I like the thought of Atogwe.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 12:12 PM
Cutting Barber is a pretty bold prediction. I'm not going there. Though I do think that Felix Jones should start.

FreshBoy!
01-19-2010, 12:15 PM
Cutting Barber is a pretty bold prediction. I'm not going there. Though I do think that Felix Jones should start.

lol! Just cut barber? No trade whatsoever?...just a straight cut?

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 12:44 PM
Players on the Trade Block: Bobby Carpenter, Tashard Choice, Martellus Bennett.

1st Round Draft Targets: Golden Tate, Sean Weatherspoon, Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Donovan Warren, Dan Williams

thule
01-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Does anyone buy Barber having trade value? He's not that old..but he's just a smash mouth guy...I went a tad bold with the prediction but look at it.

We have two players that are better and younger and cheaper.

He got a seven-year deal worth a total of $45 million. The package includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses, and will pay out $21 million over the first three years.

With the holdout possible in 2011 and this an uncapped year we are sitting in a perfect position to cut someone who is going to be overpayed without counting against the cap.

Call me crazy but this makes sense if there is no value in the trade market.

brat316
01-19-2010, 01:42 PM
Ken Hamlin was that bad?

Yeah its gonna be hard to get trade for Barber's massive contract.

pocketaces
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Does anyone buy Barber having trade value? He's not that old..but he's just a smash mouth guy...I went a tad bold with the prediction but look at it.

He got a seven-year deal worth a total of $45 million. The package includes $16 million in guaranteed bonuses, and will pay out $21 million over the first three years.

With the holdout possible in 2011 and this an uncapped year we are sitting in a perfect position to cut someone who is going to be overpayed without counting against the cap.

IMO we should put him back in role he had when he was drafted. Felix starts and Barber becomes the change of pace/short yardage back. He was very effective in that role and it will limit his carries and hopefully he can stay healthy. Felix needs to get 18-20 carries a game IMO.

thule
01-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Ken Hamlin was that bad?

Yeah its gonna be hard to get trade for Barber's massive contract.

Hamlin is the 3rd highest player on the team in 2010...his play isn't even top 15 on this team. The cost benefit just doesn't work...he'll be gone.

thule
01-19-2010, 01:45 PM
IMO we should put him back in role he had when he was drafted. Felix starts and Barber becomes the change of pace/short yardage back. He was very effective in that role and it will limit his carries and hopefully he can stay healthy. Felix needs to get 18-20 carries a game IMO.

You don't pay a back 6 million a year to be a COP/short yardage back I'm sorry.

pocketaces
01-19-2010, 01:48 PM
You don't pay a back 6 million a year to be a COP/short yardage back I'm sorry.

I understand but I just dont see us cutting him and Felix needs to start next year. We'll see, it will be interesting.:confused:

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 01:58 PM

Why couldn't we trade him for another overly priced player? There are plenty of them in the NFL.

Also, help clarify... I don't exactly know how it works, but my understanding is that if you trade a player, the team acquiring him doesn't take on his salary... is that true? Sounds wrong. What exactly happens? Is it different for different player situations? Or the same all around?

I remember Jbond traded for Larry Johnson in the forum mock and I was laughing at him for taking on that contract... then he said the contract doesn't carry over...

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
I understand but I just dont see us cutting him and Felix needs to start next year. We'll see, it will be interesting.:confused:
I don't see it either... especially when cap numbers won't matter this year.

As for Felix... only thing I wonder about him is durability.

thule
01-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Why couldn't we trade him for another overly priced player? There are plenty of them in the NFL.

Also, help clarify... I don't exactly know how it works, but my understanding is that if you trade a player, the team acquiring him doesn't take on his salary... is that true? Sounds wrong. What exactly happens? Is it different for different player situations? Or the same all around?

I remember Jbond traded for Larry Johnson in the forum mock and I was laughing at him for taking on that contract... then he said the contract doesn't carry over...

I think it varies on a case by case basis. I think teams can buyout the remainder the of contract and structure a new deal. But I don't know the specifics. I'd assume if you trade the player the contract would go with him...because not every player traded gets a new contract.

Believe me everyone in the world would rather trade a player for something than cut him for nothing. BUTTTTTT unless a team wants him...this is the only way to cut him and not hurt the team in the future with cap hits. It is possible.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 02:24 PM
I think it varies on a case by case basis. I think teams can buyout the remainder the of contract and structure a new deal. But I don't know the specifics. I'd assume if you trade the player the contract would go with him...because not every player traded gets a new contract.

Believe me everyone in the world would rather trade a player for something than cut him for nothing. BUTTTTTT unless a team wants him...this is the only way to cut him and not hurt the team in the future with cap hits. It is possible.
What happens when there is no cap? What cap hits?

thule
01-19-2010, 02:27 PM
What happens when there is no cap? What cap hits?

I think the general consensus at this point is that 2010 will be uncapped 2011 will be a lockout and that 2012 will return the salary cap. Atleast thats my understanding.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 02:42 PM
I think the general consensus at this point is that 2010 will be uncapped 2011 will be a lockout and that 2012 will return the salary cap. Atleast thats my understanding.
I also agree that eventually the cap will return... but I think worrying about taking a cap hit now is insignificant. Only significance with cap hits are when you're talking about new contracts that are signed this year. I think cutting a player now without taking a cap hit is a huge benefit for teams... and a lot of good overpaid players may get cut as a result.

thule
01-19-2010, 03:02 PM
I also agree that eventually the cap will return... but I think worrying about taking a cap hit now is insignificant. Only significance with cap hits are when you're talking about new contracts that are signed this year. I think cutting a player now without taking a cap hit is a huge benefit for teams... and a lot of good overpaid players may get cut as a result.

Thats what I said in my reasoning behind cutting barber...you're reiterating what I already said haha.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 03:16 PM
Thats what I said in my reasoning behind cutting barber...you're reiterating what I already said haha.
haha. that is funny. I had a brain fart, reading comprehension mix up.

I don't like the idea of cutting him though. I think we can win thanks to him.

thule
01-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Would you pay 60 dollars a year for a money clip?

It holds money like all money clips. Yet for 0 dollars you can use your same old wallet. Even better is that you have 2 newer nicer ones that are cheaper waiting....that is the justification your giving me. Sure the 60 dollar one might have an extra spot for a credit card...but is that worth it?

Macarthur
01-19-2010, 03:30 PM
D, is Carp a RFA? I thought he was an UFA....

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Would you pay 60 dollars a year for a money clip?

It holds money like all money clips. Yet for 0 dollars you can use your same old wallet. Even better is that you have 2 newer nicer ones that are cheaper waiting....that is the justification your giving me. Sure the 60 dollar one might have an extra spot for a credit card...but is that worth it?
I'm probably letting my crush on him get in the way, but yea... financially, it doesn't make sense to keep him. We could draft Legarette Blount late in the draft if we need a power runner.

As for a more pure RB... I want Joique Bell!!! :D

thule
01-19-2010, 03:38 PM
D, is Carp a RFA? I thought he was an UFA....

With no CBA agreement all team FA that haven't been in the league a min of 6 years are now RFA.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Carp isn't a FA at all, is he?

thule
01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Carp is not a FA.

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
OG Montrae Holland

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Miles Austin
DE Stephen Bowen
CB Cletis Gordon
DE Jason Hatcher
WR Sam Hurd
OT Pat McQuistan
C Duke Preston
C Cory Procter
S Gerald Sensabaugh
NT Junior Siavii
DE Marcus Spears
K Shaun Suisham
S Pat Watkins

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT
CB Alan Ball
LB Steve Octavien

Macarthur
01-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Hmmm......

FreshBoy!
01-19-2010, 06:04 PM
Soooo...what type of contract does Austin see this offseason guys?

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 06:07 PM
Soooo...what type of contract does Austin see this offseason guys?
A surprisingly affordable one.

FreshBoy!
01-19-2010, 06:10 PM
He's put up Pro-Bowl #'s, proved he's the #1, and pretty much saved the season.

Basically...did what Roy was supposed to do.

....... You think "affordable" is the word?

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 06:29 PM
He's put up Pro-Bowl #'s, proved he's the #1, and pretty much saved the season.

Basically...did what Roy was supposed to do.

....... You think "affordable" is the word?
Yep. Even Ware was "surprisingly affordable".

FreshBoy!
01-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I hope you're right!

thule
01-20-2010, 04:56 PM
updated my first post with RFA targets.

RFA Tenders
WR Miles Austin - $3.1 million 1st and 3rd
DE Stephen Bowen - $1.7 million 2nd
CB Cletis Gordon
DE Jason Hatcher - $1.1 million
WR Sam Hurd
OT Pat McQuistan
C Duke Preston
C Cory Procter
S Gerald Sensabaugh - $2.4 million 1st
NT Junior Siavii
DE Marcus Spears - $1.1 million
K Shaun Suisham
S Pat Watkins

only one I see here that would be interesting in Watkins may get the low tender. That would net us a 4th round pick if anyone dipped on him. Hatcher and Spears get the lowest because of their 1st and 2nd round cost to pick up.

shane_man
01-27-2010, 12:24 AM
Sorry guys but Barber isn't going anywhere. As a trio of backs we have the best bunch in the league and while Barber is expensive. The combination of all three's contract's at the moment is actually reasonably good.

Anyone with a working knowledge of how each player plays would recognise the most effective way to use all three. Garrett goes before Barber with any luck.

LizardState
02-13-2010, 11:49 AM
Sorry guys but Barber isn't going anywhere. As a trio of backs we have the best bunch in the league and while Barber is expensive. The combination of all three's contract's at the moment is actually reasonably good.

Anyone with a working knowledge of how each player plays would recognise the most effective way to use all three. Garrett goes before Barber with any luck.

Agreed, retain Barber. Any Dallas executive who initiates a trade for Choice should have his fingers broken, brought up on high treason charges.

Among the RFAs, def dump Hurd & Spears. Maybe dump Suisham the Sham-Wow & draft a ******* kicker in April. Seriously.

thule
02-13-2010, 02:52 PM
I have a feeling my tender projections are way low.

I think we'll see more 1st round tenders and 2nd round tenders. Also think Austin will get tagged the more I think about it. We can't afford to lose him for a 1st and 3rd.

MANSTER
03-02-2010, 03:03 AM

I agree that MB3 will be back, I think his snaps will be cut back. I also would not put it past JJ to pick up RB late in the draft. I do not think Anderson will make the team next year, not like he was used all that much.