PDA

View Full Version : Underclassmen Incorporated Into Rankings

Scott Wright
01-19-2010, 10:52 PM
I just finished up incorporating the underclassmen into my rankings!

http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Rankings.php

Please keep in mind that these rankings are very preliminary, especially the Top 100, and I need to invest a lot more time and considerable thought into them over the next couple of weeks.

When I get back from the Senior Bowl I will re-tool all of the rankings but for the time being this should give you a general idea of how I feel about the underclassmen and where they fit in.

scottyboy
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Scott, I know when I post it's just like "blah blah blah, more scotty homerism" but I'm really not sure where these character issues are coming from for Anthony Davis. I mean, the weight issue I could see, but I don't define that to really be character issues persay. I mean, the whole Britt issues were ridiculously overblown and didn't have any effect. They came out of nowhere too(some espn analyst said it I think)
But how much would these "issues" affect Davis' stock.

dolphinfan2k5
01-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Dez Bryant all the way at #4. I hope he falls the the Dolphins!

Scott Wright
01-19-2010, 11:07 PM
Scott, I know when I post it's just like "blah blah blah, more scotty homerism" but I'm really not sure where these character issues are coming from for Anthony Davis. I mean, the weight issue I could see, but I don't define that to really be character issues persay. I mean, the whole Britt issues were ridiculously overblown and didn't have any effect. They came out of nowhere too(some espn analyst said it I think)
But how much would these "issues" affect Davis' stock.

Davis was suspended twice in 3 years. You don't sit such a talented player for just nothing.

scottyboy
01-19-2010, 11:37 PM
Davis was suspended twice in 3 years. You don't sit such a talented player for just nothing.

True, but they were relatively minor offenses such as missing too many classes (according to reports that floated around school) and happened when he was younger (freshman and sophomore years). Again, Britt was also suspended for these unkown offenses, that if they were big, would've been reported more heavily. I do agree he doesn't have outstanding character and is no Tebow, but I don't think it should affect his stock much at all. Or his pro career.
How much do you think NFL teams will take them into account?

TitansCJftw
01-19-2010, 11:58 PM
throw some thoughts at me on linval joseph i know these are not the final rankings but he didnt make your top 30 dt's he has flaws he doesnt use his hands extremely well but i go to almost all home ecu games and watch all aways games that make tv what makes jay ross better than linval?

Scott Wright
01-20-2010, 12:04 AM
throw some thoughts at me on linval joseph i know these are not the final rankings but he didnt make your top 30 dt's he has flaws he doesnt use his hands extremely well but i go to almost all home ecu games and watch all aways games that make tv what makes jay ross better than linval?

There are a few underclassmen who I haven't seen enough of to feel comfortable putting in the rankings just yet. Linval Joseph is one such example, Dennis Rogan is another.

RaiderNation
01-20-2010, 12:22 AM
By April, Anthony Davis will be the top OT... and Im not a Rutgers homer

Day One Pick
01-20-2010, 05:12 AM
I'm curious to know what it is you like more about Chris McGaha, Taylor Price, and Armanti Edwards to have them ranked ahead of Antonio Brown in your WR rankings. I would move Brown ahead of even more than the one's I mentioned, but the others are more debateable.

I'm curious as to why so many people are still high on Gronkowski given the back issues. A bad back is a bad thing. I think he's draftable, but not until the 3rd or 4th round, and certainly not ahead of Hernandez, McCoy, or Dickson.

To me Selvish Capers looks like a 5th or 6th round RT. His name got thrown into the mix by somebody, and everyone followed suit.

Ranking JPP that high is drinking the kool aid in my opinion.

I sort of feel like Brian Jackson is the best CB on Oklahoma's team. It's close between he and Franks and cetainly debatable. So I can't see how Franks is 4th overall and Jackson is 31st.

Taylor Mays might be the 4th safety off the board.

Halsey
01-20-2010, 07:43 AM
Scott, what's holding Clausen back from being viewed as an elite QB prospect? I haven't watched him enough to form a solid opinion, but at one time he seemed to be viewed as a potential #1 overall pick. Now it seems like people are questioning his viability as a top 5-10 pick.

DiG
01-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Scott - please clarify what you mean by not a "franchise left tackle". i am not sure i understand how the highest rated olineman, top 10 overall prospect who has played LT for the marjority of his college career, and has started since freshman year doesnt meet the term franchise left tackle.

Other notes, I like seeing Bulaga as high as you have him. I like his skillset a lot. I also think your right on with the QBs outside the top 10. Neither jump out to me at this point as must have top 5 picks. Im surprised to see Derrick Morgan as low as you have him. He seems like an ideal 4-3 DE. Im also really shocked to see Vlad made it in the top 32 but Campbell did not. Ive been saying all along that Campbell is extremely raw but his athleticism is off the charts and someone is going to fall in love with him a lot earlier I think. Nice to see Saffold fly up your board already after only 2 days of owning Greg Hardy.

To me Selvish Capers looks like a 5th or 6th round RT. His name got thrown into the mix by somebody, and everyone followed suit. - Agreed

Mr.Regular
01-20-2010, 08:23 AM
I've been singing the guys praises for a while, but I really like Donovan Warren. He looks like the clear cut #2 corner IMO.

So, why are you so low on him? I can't wait for the scouting report.... I've seen some places projecting him as a top 20 pick and others as late round 2. I think he's much closer to the former but I want to hear your opinion.

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 09:07 AM
Pike over McCoy.

JFLO
01-20-2010, 09:23 AM
Besides the actual draft and probably the combine, this is the best part of the draft season.

Darksider
01-20-2010, 09:51 AM
i really find it hard to believe that Golden tate is a more well rounded WR than LaFell.

MELSHAIR
01-20-2010, 02:03 PM
Why has Ed Wang's stock dropped so much? I like his potential in a zone blocking scheme.

Addict
01-20-2010, 02:11 PM
Why has Ed Wang's stock dropped so much? I like his potential in a zone blocking scheme.

Ed's Wang dropped?

Bengals78
01-20-2010, 02:40 PM
Ed's Wang dropped?

Usually that happens in middle school or early high school, not right before the draft
Makes even more sense with pedobear in the av. ;)

JaxJag_1
01-20-2010, 02:46 PM
LeFevour, #13 QB?

DaBrowns41
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM
The only thing in your Top 32 that I have a problem with is Taylor Mays at #8. I mean, come on. If you've really done you're homework, you'd know that Mays was at best, the #3 safety in this draft, and that's being nice.

Players that don't know how to tackle and are piss poor at covering, don't make it in the NFL.

Don't give me all these "He's just like Sean Taylor" opinions, because that's all I've ever heard from Mays homers. He's got Taylor's measurables... and that's it. Taylor was the best player, and a play maker on one of the best defenses in the last decade.

Taylor wasn't even the 3rd best player on that defense in 2007 or 2008.

Also, I feel that Best is a bit too high. Otherwise, it's a pretty good job.

Scott Wright
01-20-2010, 05:04 PM
Scott - please clarify what you mean by not a "franchise left tackle".

I think there is a big misconception out there that Okung is this phenomenal athlete and stud left tackle, which just isn't the case. He's a terrific all-around blocker but you can make the case that he's better in the run game than in pass pro. In fact, he might be best-suited to play right tackle at the next level. That's not to say he can't play left tackle but this certainly isn't Tony Boselli, Jon Ogden, Orlando Pace or Walter Jones we're talking about.

JFLO
01-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Scott, did anything change in your view of Bryan Bulaga?

I remember reading your thoughts on him earlier on in the draft year and it didn't sound like you would have him ranked #9 overall in the entire class. It sounded like he was somewhere in the 20-32 range, if that.

I was just wondering because his junior season obviously wasn't his greatest due to his pass protection being exploited a bit by some of the smaller defensive ends in the Big Ten.

Day One Pick
01-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I think there is a big misconception out there that Okung is this phenomenal athlete and stud left tackle, which just isn't the case. He's a terrific all-around blocker but you can make the case that he's better in the run game than in pass pro. In fact, he might be best-suited to play right tackle at the next level. That's not to say he can't play left tackle but this certainly isn't Tony Boselli, Jon Ogden, Orlando Pace or Walter Jones we're talking about.

Are there two Russell Okung's out there? Because the one I've been watching for the last couple years is a great pass protector. He handled Brian Orakpo for the most part last year, and Orakpo handled NFL tackles this year.

If that's your evaluation of him, why is he your #1 tackle? I would think the #1 tackle would have to be nothing but a LT and excel in pass pro.

P-L
01-21-2010, 09:49 AM
He handled Brian Orakpo for the most part last year, and Orakpo handled NFL tackles this year.
Brandon Pettigrew actually did quite a bit of work on Orakpo last year for most of the game. I remember watching that game and being blown away the Oklahoma State left Pettigrew one-on-one with Orakpo more than they did Okung.

RaiderNation
01-21-2010, 02:43 PM
When do you think the next mock update will be Scott? Since you have the official list of underclassmen back

Also it looks like the raiders are going back to a power oline blocking instead of a ZBS. So Anthony Davis fits perfectly with his size and athleticism

Scott Wright
01-21-2010, 06:19 PM
The new mock will be up Friday.

It's all been mapped out for a couple of days, I am just writing all of the analysis.

16 more picks to go as of right now...

thebow305
01-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Not sure why you have Reshad Jones and Kam Chancellor so low. Jones seems to be a Top 5 guy at his position for sure. And I've always loved Chancellor, are you too scared he may have to convert to LB at the next level? I definitely think he can fit at safety in the right scheme, and he has experience playing even cornerback. I think his versatility alone should make him ranked higher.

Bengals78
01-21-2010, 06:41 PM
The new mock will be up Friday.

It's all been mapped out for a couple of days, I am just writing all of the analysis.

16 more picks to go as of right now...

When will you be adding a second round to your mock?
Should be interesting...

Scott Wright
01-21-2010, 06:50 PM
When will you be adding a second round to your mock?
Should be interesting...

There won't be a second round in this update but there will be in the next, probably sometime in mid-February. I like to wait until after the All-Star games to extend it.

Bengals78
01-21-2010, 06:52 PM
When it gets to the home stretch to draft I get excited and want everything to just speed up.