PDA

View Full Version : So I want to start a my own forum...

niel89
01-20-2010, 12:24 AM
I want to start a internet forum for my college, but I honestly have no idea where to start. Does anyone here have any experience with buying a domain name and starting forum up? It would be similar in style to this one (vBulletin?), but for selling books and discussions for local school stuff.

I have honestly no idea where to start so I thought someone here would have some advice.

vikes_28
01-20-2010, 12:34 AM
Try godaddy.com vBulliten is really expensive. So I wouldn't start off right away with that. There are free web forums that you can use, and they are just as efficient. Other than purchasing the domain name, i have no knowledge of what to do.

DJC
01-20-2010, 08:32 AM
You can get free IP boards through http://ipbservice.jcink.com. If you look around you can find some nice themes for them too.

CC.SD
01-20-2010, 02:31 PM
Here's a method absolutely anyone can use.

Buy a bottle of rum, knock on a door with some guy friends. Get em, knock on a door with some girls and say 'hey sorry to disturb you, we found this rum can you show us how to use it?'

and now you don't need a forum for your college anymore. Use facebook if you need to.

wogitalia
01-20-2010, 06:59 PM
Buy a bottle of rum, knock on a door with some guy friends. Get em, knock on a door with some girls and say 'hey sorry to disturb you, we found this rum can you show us how to use it?'

and now you don't need a forum for your college anymore. Use facebook if you need to.

Why does it feel like someone did this to you today and we are suffering the results ;).

You can set one up for free if you want, vBulletin is very expensive and webhosting isn't all that cheap either.

Google for "Free Web Hosts" or something similar and you will find a bunch of sites that compare the different sites that offer hosting, if you don't mind having their branding in the address it can save a few quid.

Search for "phpBB" for the actual forum. It is basically the same as vBulletin, only free. You will need to know some very basic php and html if you want to use it, but that is the sort of thing you can google for help with. phpBB offers pretty much everything that we have on here, just take note of the things required to use it, the host will need to support php, scripting and a few other things. I was able to set up a forum that worked without any real difficulties just from following the instructions that come with it.

cvv84
01-20-2010, 07:09 PM
http://invisionfree.com/

Thats another descent one. If it ever gets hot too you can upgrade the board and purchase a .net or .com name

Splat
01-20-2010, 07:16 PM
Here's a method absolutely anyone can use.

http://i49.tinypic.com/5dw5ud.jpg

niel89
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
Alright I just got the domain name that I wanted and Im now looking for a website to host it.

Im hoping to have the site up by March-ish.

It is just going to be a forum where people from my school can talk about classes and events and stuff. There is facebook and stuff but nothing is really that connected.

I think that my community can really benefit with a site that we can sell books and services. For example, my roommate can make custom beer pong table with what ever design or style you want, but he has no way for people to know about it except word of mouth.

I really just want to create something that I can call my own.

wogitalia
02-01-2010, 08:14 PM
For example, my roommate can make custom beer pong table with what ever design or style you want, but he has no way for people to know about it except word of mouth.

This may be the greatest friend ever, with the greatest life skill possible.

CC.SD
02-01-2010, 09:56 PM
http://i49.tinypic.com/5dw5ud.jpg

In terms of random image appropriateness, this is really CJ caliber.

CJSchneider
02-01-2010, 09:59 PM
I must agree, I was quite impressed.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
02-02-2010, 01:13 PM
Do you also want to start a speaking like Mario?

iworshipbender
02-02-2010, 01:16 PM
Zetaboards.com