PDA

View Full Version : Juice Williams

gutman54
01-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Is he athletic enough to play another position in the pros? It seemed like a few years ago everyone thought he could make it if he polished up his passing, it doesn't seem that he's done that, and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on this guy.

cvv84
01-20-2010, 02:07 PM
He's been a QB for his entire high school and collegiate career but he's athletic enough to possibly play some WR and run some teams wildcat. Think Brad Smith.

Addict
01-20-2010, 02:12 PM
Pat White got drafted, so I don't see why Juice would be different.

zachsaints52
01-20-2010, 02:14 PM
Pat White got drafted, so I don't see why Juice would be different.

Pat White was alot better overall then Juice?

FUNBUNCHER
01-20-2010, 02:17 PM
No shame in being paid a mid six figures to play QB in Canada. If you ever get a chance to watch a CFL game, it's like a who's who of former American college football stars.

Maybe he could switch to a another skill position, but I think he's too hardwired as a QB.

BeerBaron
01-20-2010, 02:22 PM

^^^^ This...

And I don't think Juice is nearly as athletic as most of the former college QBs who moved in the pros now.

I think the closest comparison I can come up with is Michael Robinson, and he converted to a more RB/FB type role.

Scotty D
01-20-2010, 02:27 PM
His game lacks "concentration". :/

RufusMcDaniel
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
No shame in being paid a mid six figures to play QB in Canada. If you ever get a chance to watch a CFL game, it's like a who's who of former American college football stars.

Maybe he could switch to a another skill position, but I think he's too hardwire as a QB.

Haha, I remember watching an Illinois back in Juice's freshman year and my dad said to me, that guy is a future CFL player.

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 02:32 PM
Maybe a safety? He'd have to learn to tackle, but he is fast enough and could maybe read what the QB is doing. This would only work if he was willing to make the commitment to learn the position. Overall though I find most QB position switches to not be worth the effort and time needed, nor the money paid to a player who has a high chance of not becoming a contributer.

rowen545
01-20-2010, 02:37 PM
With the wildcat around I'm sure he'll find a place. If his passing is too poor even for that maybe he could convert to KR? Worked for Cribbs coming out of Kent St

TheSlinger
01-20-2010, 03:08 PM

Do CFL players make mid 6 figures now? It's been a few years but last I recall the max contract was like 1xx 000 and you had to get special permission to give more, but maybe I'm wrong.

Addict
01-20-2010, 03:10 PM

which is why he won't be drafted in the second.

CC.SD
01-20-2010, 03:27 PM
I sense greatness from Juice Williams. Cannot explain.

CLong4Heisman
01-20-2010, 03:29 PM
Defensive End. He'll know what the quarterback is thinking!

adschofield
01-20-2010, 03:44 PM

I love you. Classic moment in NFLDC history

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM

Im pretty sure this is you mocking my post so ill respond. The safety position relies heavily upon reading and reacting to the QB. If you have played 4 seasons at QB, even if your skills dont translate to QB at the next level, you can pick up on what a QB is doing as well as have experience reading plays. Juice has the speed and size to play safety and if he dedicated himself to it and learned to tackle he might be able to make the switch. The same dedication it would take to move to WR (learning to run routes, body positioning, catching etc.).

CLong4Heisman
01-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I love you. Classic moment in NFLDC history

i looked at every post to make sure someone didnt beat me to it.

CC.SD
01-20-2010, 03:58 PM
Im pretty sure this is you mocking my post so ill respond. The safety position relies heavily upon reading and reacting to the QB. If you have played 4 seasons at QB, even if your skills dont translate to QB at the next level, you can pick up on what a QB is doing as well as have experience reading plays. Juice has the speed and size to play safety and if he dedicated himself to it and learned to tackle he might be able to make the switch. The same dedication it would take to move to WR (learning to run routes, body positioning, catching etc.).

You seem to know a lot about Juice...

at NT do you think he could command the NFL's first quadruple team?????

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 04:01 PM

I remember that actually and no, I was merely trying to come up with something else other than the traditional, "make him a WR'" or "wildcat QB," comments. Its not unfeasible for him to make the switch to safety. I will also point out that I did say I find most position changes to not be worth the time or money paid to a player who will most likely never make a contribution

Thumper
01-20-2010, 04:08 PM
SVM they're not making fun of you, a move to safety is far fetched but not completely out of the realm of possibility, I know for a fact they're mocking an older poster whose name I don't know but he used to come up with crazy position changes and ideas. They're not mocking you at all.

And Juice has all the physical attributes needed to be a QB what he struggles with are the mental things and I don't know if he can ever overcome his struggles if he hasn't yet. When he was a sophomore I remember thinking he was going to be the second coming of McNabb and McNabb actually served as his mentor. I don't think he can play QB at any level.

CLong4Heisman
01-20-2010, 04:09 PM

Nope. Not mocking you at all. There was a poster like a year ago who started a thread saying that Juice should be a defensive end because he would know what the QB was thinking.

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 04:11 PM
SVM they're not making fun of you, a move to safety is far fetched but not completely out of the realm of possibility, I know for a fact they're mocking an older poster whose name I don't know but he used to come up with crazy position changes and ideas. They're not mocking you at all.

And Juice has all the physical attributes needed to be a QB what he struggles with are the mental things and I don't know if he can ever overcome his struggles if he hasn't yet. When he was a sophomore I remember thinking he was going to be the second coming of McNabb and McNabb actually served as his mentor. I don't think he can play QB at any level.

I know. I was there for that post, he was trying to move Calais Campbell to NT and said that he could "command triple maybe even quadruple teams" and that the reason we hadn't heard of it was because no one had called for one yet. I was there for the neg rep rape of that guy.

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 04:12 PM
ah lol wasn't there for that. Sorry, was just trying to defend my stance if you had been mocking. Its my instinct :P

RealityCheck
01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Juice is a complete CFL player imo.

foozball
01-20-2010, 05:53 PM

Bahahah...what makes you think Juice Williams will know what the other QB is thinking? Sure, he played QB...but he's Juice Williams. If he's out there playing safety, and he's gonna be thinking the way he used to play, he's gonna be thinking the QB is gonna run it half the time. Juice doesn't have the instincts to play QB...what makes you think he's going to have the instincts to know what the other QB will be thinking?

wicket
01-20-2010, 05:56 PM
i looked at every post to make sure someone didnt beat me to it.

It was situational passrusher though if im not mistaking

Sloopy
01-20-2010, 06:31 PM
Bahahah...what makes you think Juice Williams will know what the other QB is thinking? Sure, he played QB...but he's Juice Williams. If he's out there playing safety, and he's gonna be thinking the way he used to play, he's gonna be thinking the QB is gonna run it half the time. Juice doesn't have the instincts to play QB...what makes you think he's going to have the instincts to know what the other QB will be thinking?

I'm saying he has the size and speed to play safety. To your comments about him reading a QB: It takes far less ability to read a QB than to be in the QB's position. The QB is making multiple reads at once while a DB is reading one person, the opposing QB. This would be much easier for Juice and with his athletic ability he might be decent at the position. I will state for the 3rd time that I dont believe in QB position changes going into the NFL, its not worth the time needed or money spent on a player that will most likely not make a contribution to your team.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-20-2010, 06:39 PM
which is why he won't be drafted in the second.

White got drafted in round 2. Juice could be use on a 6th or 7th rounder.

iBoldin
01-20-2010, 06:54 PM
I'll be completely honest, Juice is not even a draftable CFL prospect right now. He's terrible. Some people DO underestimated the skill level of the CFL. He'd be a back-up at best.

descendency
01-20-2010, 08:04 PM
I'm 99% sure they are mocking me with the "he'll know what a QB is thinking line" since I said I would take Tebow at QB because a worst case scenario could land him at LB (size, speed, work ethic, football IQ, etc are all major positives for Tebow.). The point was less about mind reading and more about mannerisms and such. I phrased it in a way that made it sound stupid. It was more about insight than mind reading. (Also, that post was about potential risk/reward of drafting Tebow versus drafting a 6'2" 215 lb QB later in the draft and how the extra mass gives more flexibility in his NFL position, STC, LB, FB, TE, etc. as well as QB.)

Edit: But the way I phrased it sounded stupider than what I was saying, easily.

edit2: Sorry about not being on topic, but I thought I'd clear that up.

CLong4Heisman
01-20-2010, 09:11 PM
It was situational passrusher though if im not mistaking

yeah it was but still worthy to bring up

brat316
01-20-2010, 09:15 PM
It wasn't you guys it was I think STARHEATER I think.

A Perfect Score
01-20-2010, 09:19 PM
This thread makes me miss TheInternetDraftDude...ALL HAIL DRAFT DUDE!

gutman54
01-20-2010, 09:41 PM
I would actually agree with the Safety talk if he's not fit to be a QB. He seems to be very athletic, though maybe his problem is in his head, and would he really be "safe" as a Safety? He may be an interesting athlete, which, sorry to go off on a tangent, why not have an "athlete" section in Scott's rankings? For those guys who project at something other than the position they played in college, that we may not be quite sure of. Just a thought.

FUNBUNCHER
01-20-2010, 09:52 PM
I'm 99% sure they are mocking me with the "he'll know what a QB is thinking line" since I said I would take Tebow at QB because a worst case scenario could land him at LB (size, speed, work ethic, football IQ, etc are all major positives for Tebow.). The point was less about mind reading and more about mannerisms and such. I phrased it in a way that made it sound stupid. It was more about insight than mind reading. (Also, that post was about potential risk/reward of drafting Tebow versus drafting a 6'2" 215 lb QB later in the draft and how the extra mass gives more flexibility in his NFL position, STC, LB, FB, TE, etc. as well as QB.)

Edit: But the way I phrased it sounded stupider than what I was saying, easily.

edit2: Sorry about not being on topic, but I thought I'd clear that up.

Naw, I think people are dissing Juice's football acumen more than your opinion about Tebow switching positions.

Fortunately, ( or unfortunately!), folks around here tend to be VERY direct when they think someone is talking out of their butt.

People hating on Juicy Williams is all!:)

wogitalia
01-21-2010, 12:21 AM
lol at the amount of people who think the DE because he knows what the QB will be thinking is directed at them.

It was a guy in the offseason, either this year or last year who wanted to change a whole bunch of guys positions thought it would help their draft stock.

Was pretty funny thread as he got clowned to no end.

Clarkpba
01-21-2010, 05:46 AM
Switching him to safety isn't out of the realm of possability. if you remember it was done to another athletic QB some years back by the name of Eric Crouch. One of the big reasons it didn't take was Crouch still wanted to be a QB and didn't like the idea of being a safety so he didn't play and sat out at least a year. He then signed and tried it but wouldn't commit to learning the position and never made it and "retired" from football soon after. Juice could switch to safety if he focused on learning to play there. The biggest factor is if he decides to change his work ethic and actually learn A position. Thats part of why he has failed at becoming a QB. He was so used to always being the best and most dominate athlete on the field he didn't have to work hard at it and still would dominate. He got to college and the caliber of players caught up to him and he still thought he could get by without having to learn how to play better. It didn't help that the media and fans pumped him up as so much better then everyone else so in his mind he still thought he was way ahead of all his competition. This is also the reason Jamarcus Russell continues to be an epic failure in the NFL.

stephenson86
01-21-2010, 06:32 AM

albert haynesworth once had jacksonvilled center both guards and running back trying to block him

brat316
01-21-2010, 10:04 AM
albert haynesworth once had jacksonvilled center both guards and running back trying to block him

pics or it didn't happen

ericzedwards
01-21-2010, 12:09 PM
I think the closest comparison I can come up with is Michael Robinson, and he converted to a more RB/FB type role.

I think the Michael Robinson comparison is dead on.

gutman54
01-21-2010, 02:33 PM
You may laugh at me for this one, but Jammal Lord, former prep standout and college Quarterback, went on to play CB/S/some WR in the NFL. He may not have been fantastic, and I am unaware if he's still with a team, but I think Juice may fit this sort of mold, someone will take a flyer on him in the later rounds for his athletic abilities. I feel bad for the guy, with whatever is holding him back in the being the "next Donovan McNabb," or whomever else everyone projected him as.

Sloopy
01-21-2010, 04:52 PM
I think that regardless of what becomes, the general agreement is that he wont make much of an impact if any

Monomach
01-21-2010, 07:40 PM
Everyone talking about making him a wideout or safety can just stop.

He's slow. His 40 times are reported as between 4.6 and 4.8. Every time I see 4.4 or 4.5 anywhere on the internet for him it's someone saying that they think he'll run that...despite his history.

He's going to play in Canadialand, the magical place where you find skating polar bears and santa claus, if anywhere.

4thand18
01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

Maybe he could switch to a another skill position, but I think he's too hardwired as a QB.

I'd think USFL instead...some of the coaches are still thought of in NFL circles (i.e. fassell being inteviewed by oakland) and the game is largely the same (not sure adding 10 yards makes a difference, but only having 2 downs to throw sure would)