PDA

View Full Version : motorcycle!

SimonRath
01-20-2010, 07:20 PM
well, im looking to buy my first motorcycle and im looking at a yamaha R6, a CBR 600 or a Kawasaki Ninja 650.

any input would be helpful

RaiderNation
01-20-2010, 08:47 PM
You crash, you die lol. All the advise I have

terribletowel39
01-20-2010, 10:55 PM
My advise is don't get one of those. No one needs that much power on something that light.

I've had a few friends nearly lose their lives in motorcycle crashes and one that did lose his life a few months before his 23rd birthday. Just don't do it. There are other ways to appear cool.

tjsunstein
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I have three friends that have or had motorcycles. Needless to say, they all got into atleast one accident. One just scuffed up the side of his bike, another totalled it and came away with scrapes and the other broke his back. My dad had a motorcycle years before I was born and he got into an accident as well. I think you know where I stand on getting a bike.

Spend your money elsewhere or better yet, save.

fischbowl
01-21-2010, 12:39 AM
Are you bike-curious?

CashmoneyDrew
01-21-2010, 12:52 AM
Get a Harley and start a biker gang.

wogitalia
01-21-2010, 02:36 AM
If you are looking at those as a first bike you are being an idiot.

You should get a 250cc to start out on and get comfortable riding on the roads, they have more than enough power for some fun(unless you are 300lbs, in which case you shouldn't get a bike anyway) and you are far less likely to lose control and injure yourself(at best).

No reason to be a hero and buy something bigger than you are ready for. Save a few $, spend a year or 2 on a 250 then get something more powerful if you have managed to get through that time.

Only advise I can give you. I will add that my Ninja 250 has been a dream to ride over the last 18 months and I highly recommend it as a starter bike.

If you however insist on getting one of those 3 as your first bike, I would highly recommend taking each of them for an extended test run and find which seating position you find the most comfortable, which one your hands sit on most comfortably and that your feet fit on best. Those are the 3 key things I have found as to how you fare on the bike, you want as few distractions as possible, so be as comfortable as possible and eliminate that as a distraction.

Also... Dont skimp on the helmet or jacket, in the event you come off, you want the brain and organs to still be working...

Paranoidmoonduck
01-21-2010, 02:44 AM
^ What this man says...

Starting out on a bike over 500cc is pretty much asking to get into a crash early on. Start out on something small that you can push as far as it'll go and not look down a realize you're going 130 mph. You can always sell it if you realize biking isn't for you and you can always get a bigger bike later.

Addict
01-21-2010, 03:49 AM
http://www.extreme-scooters.com/04images/BabyCustom.jpg
start modestly

JFLO
01-21-2010, 06:04 AM
Get a Harley and start a biker gang.

http://gaytheists.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/HarleyFags.jpg

SimonRath
01-21-2010, 10:00 AM
If you are looking at those as a first bike you are being an idiot.

You should get a 250cc to start out on and get comfortable riding on the roads, they have more than enough power for some fun(unless you are 300lbs, in which case you shouldn't get a bike anyway) and you are far less likely to lose control and injure yourself(at best).

No reason to be a hero and buy something bigger than you are ready for. Save a few $, spend a year or 2 on a 250 then get something more powerful if you have managed to get through that time.

Only advise I can give you. I will add that my Ninja 250 has been a dream to ride over the last 18 months and I highly recommend it as a starter bike.

If you however insist on getting one of those 3 as your first bike, I would highly recommend taking each of them for an extended test run and find which seating position you find the most comfortable, which one your hands sit on most comfortably and that your feet fit on best. Those are the 3 key things I have found as to how you fare on the bike, you want as few distractions as possible, so be as comfortable as possible and eliminate that as a distraction.

Also... Dont skimp on the helmet or jacket, in the event you come off, you want the brain and organs to still be working...

ive had a ninja 250 before so this wouldnt be my first bike ive ever rode. I'm jus asking about buying my first bike.
get what im sayin?

Jakey
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
I have a 125cc atm...i'd like a bigger bike, but thats easily good enough. It gets you a to b, and it does 80mph, thats all you need really.

thule
01-21-2010, 10:35 AM
I have a CBR 600. Sure you can crash...but I can also get hit by a car if I don't know how to walk across the street.

There really isn't a lot of difference internally...body style is the big kicker...older style CBR's are pretty heavy...when your talking like a f3...they are about 600lbs dry.

So basically I'd say go with the one you can find the best deal on that you like. I'd stay away from new bikes since it's likely you'll be stupid and lay it down...nothing wrong with picking up a bike that is used...engines are pretty much bullet proof and need minimum maintance so you really don't have to worry about if someone beat it up.

If by the end of the summer you aren't pulling your front tire off the ground...your friends will make fun of you...practice makes perfect :)

jayceheathman
01-21-2010, 01:02 PM
I have three friends that have or had motorcycles. Needless to say, they all got into atleast one accident. One just scuffed up the side of his bike, another totalled it and came away with scrapes and the other broke his back. My dad had a motorcycle years before I was born and he got into an accident as well. I think you know where I stand on getting a bike.

Spend your money elsewhere or better yet, save.

Most of the wrecks are caused by the driver weeving in and out of traffic in very little room. If you are responsible with it then it isnt bad and especially if you are in college or about to be. Motorcycle parking spots are right in front of buildings and you never have to go up and down every isle like a hawk hoping to find someone leaving.

I would get... http://www.melillimoto.com/store/images/848.jpg