PDA

View Full Version : Texas vs. The Nation

Shane P. Hallam
01-20-2010, 10:49 PM
Figured it couldn't hurt to talk about the underdog of all-star games!

http://www.texasvsthenation.com/players/rosters/2010-roster

Some interesting prospects:

Nation

Tim Hiller, QB, Western Michigan
Dedrick Epps, TE, Miami
Arthur Moats, LB, James Madison
AJ Wallace, CB, Penn State
EJ Wilson, DE, UNC

Texas

Ryan Perriloux, QB, Jacksonville State
Levi Brown, QB, Troy
Boris Lee, LB, Troy
DeMarcus Granger, DT, Oklahoma
Alex Carrington, Arkansas State

Scott Wright
01-20-2010, 10:53 PM
The guy I am really looking forward to seeing in Texas vs. The Nation is Hillsdale OT Jared Veldheer, my #2 small-school prospect in this class. The guy is big and athletic and if he shows well there and in workouts it could lead to him being a second or third round pick.

Brent
01-20-2010, 10:58 PM
I really liked Tim Heller coming into the season, too bad he didnt improve...

TitansCJftw
01-20-2010, 10:59 PM
i want to see perriloux not because i think hes going to be a super pro just because he is an exciting player, didnt know dominique lindsay and jay ross were in this game ecu represent! :D

Giantsfan1080
01-20-2010, 11:03 PM
Does anyone think there should be a game that allows juniors to play?

ThePudge
01-20-2010, 11:06 PM
The guy I am really looking forward to seeing in Texas vs. The Nation is Hillsdale OT Jared Veldheer, my #2 small-school prospect in this class. The guy is big and athletic and if he shows well there and in workouts it could lead to him being a second or third round pick.

I was just going to comment and say that you have Veldheer fairly high on your Tackle list, so he may be one to watch in the week of practices (it's not every day that we get to see Hillside players.)

Levi Brown has a chance to move up boards in a big way I think, after a very good bowl game on national TV for Troy. If he has a good performance in the week of practice, he may have potential to be more than just a mid-late round option. I'm actually surprised to see him not at the Shrine Game at least.

San Jose State LB Justin Cole may not have had the big year some were thinking, but he still looks to have solid measurables and will be one to watch in practice.

Brandon Sharpe was a sack artist this year at Texas Tech, so it'll be fun to see him on the Texas roster. Listed at 6'3 254, his weigh-in will likely be important in determining what position he'll play at the next level. Not sure if he has the athleticism and coverage ability to play LB, but we'll see some of that in practice I'm sure.

MidwayMonster31
01-20-2010, 11:14 PM
Does anyone think there should be a game that allows juniors to play?I would like that. In fact I would like it to be Texas vs. the Nation. Could you imagine the attention if last year's highlight was Stafford vs. Sanchez?

Shane P. Hallam
01-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I would like that. In fact I would like it to be Texas vs. the Nation. Could you imagine the attention if last year's highlight was Stafford vs. Sanchez?

Yeah, they wouldn't have played in it even if they could have. For sure Stafford wouldn't have at least.

FUNBUNCHER
01-21-2010, 05:33 AM
How is the Texas team selected??

hitman
01-22-2010, 05:34 PM

I really want to see CB Phillip Adams from SC State.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 05:44 PM
How is the Texas team selected??

good question. I think after filtering college players for Senior Bowl and Shrine Bowl, Texans and/or Texan team players will be selected.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 05:50 PM
RT Tom Welch.
LT Derek Hardman.
DE Austen Lane.
DL Jay Ross.
DL Alex Carrington.

to start off.

brat316
01-22-2010, 05:52 PM
how is Brett Hamlin a RT/WR?

WOooooooo Temple player finally go into an all star game.

ncst8fan83
01-22-2010, 05:59 PM
Toney Baker will beast...mark it down.

Mr. Offseason
01-22-2010, 06:44 PM
I really liked Tim Heller coming into the season, too bad he didnt improve...

So did I man. He just doesn't seem to have much zip on his throws, doesn't play in as much of a pro-style offense as I thought he did and forced some more throws, especially under pressure, than I thought he would.

I think he has potential to get drafted as a developmental #3 and become a reliable backup/spot-starter, but I had higher hopes for him earlier in the year to be certain.

RealityCheck
01-22-2010, 06:49 PM

RT means returner I guess.

Mr. Offseason
01-22-2010, 08:55 PM
I am very interested to see how Austen Lane does during the practices and also in the game. I am skeptical but I have heard some great things, naturally I haven't seen him play yet since he is from a small school. I am very anxious to see how he does.

Grizzlegom
01-22-2010, 09:17 PM
im actually excited to see how josh hull does, i have no doubt he would make a great STer at the next level but he made a believer out of me by the end of the year from the MLB spot. if he checks in around 245 or so i think he might have a legit chance of becoming a draftable prospect.

brat316
01-22-2010, 09:19 PM
RT means returner I guess.

ohhh ahha that makes more sense then OT what i was thinking.

descendency
01-23-2010, 12:39 AM
My top 3 that I am most curious about: Austen Lane, Alex Carrington, and Jared Veldheer. An OLB (34), a DE (34), and a OT.

edit: Does anyone know if Veldheer compares favorably to Sebastian Vollmer last year?

jayceheathman
01-23-2010, 12:42 AM
I may get to go to the game. It's only a 40 minute drive away.

Malaka
01-23-2010, 01:09 AM
I would really love to hear how Austen Lane does in this I have been pimping him all season, but I have only seen one game. I hope he doesn't disappoint; 6'6 270 4.6 are really pretty numbers and his 14? (not exact) sacks this year, but he's at Murray State...

SuperMcGee
01-23-2010, 02:26 AM

More taking about Brett Hamlin!

I'm honestly surprised he's even in this game, but good for him. He had a productive year with some big games. A very good slot receiver type in the MAC. So probably no future, but this is cool.
He's also not really a returner, but whatever.

DiG
01-23-2010, 10:29 AM

Yes!!! I have had veldheer as my top small school sleeper for a while now. Ive been saying for a month that he is this years Vollmer! Keep it on the DL Scott cause the Skins need him in rd4!

Im also looking forward to seeing Hiller and Levi Brown.

trojanbrutha
02-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Is there any coverage for this week of practice?

underscore
02-01-2010, 06:58 PM
im actually excited to see how josh hull does, i have no doubt he would make a great STer at the next level but he made a believer out of me by the end of the year from the MLB spot. if he checks in around 245 or so i think he might have a legit chance of becoming a draftable prospect.

He's slow and not at all instinctive. He certainly got the most out of his ability in college, but that's where it'll end. I'd be surprised if he's anything more than UDFA training camp fodder.

brasho
02-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I've heard Brandon Sharpe will be there. That's the guy I want to see.

GBN has given updates in the past... don't know about this year.

OaklandRaider56
02-01-2010, 10:21 PM
I'm really excited about seeing Demarcus Granger, he could be a steal in the third round or possibly later.

bored of education
02-01-2010, 10:24 PM
I cannot wait for the Draftguys to post their coverage of this game. They always do a great job. Where you at Sigmund?

mario
02-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Easy: Levi Brown!! :)

I think he is one of the (few) complete packages at QB position in this class: Size, rocket arm, awesome accuracy when he stands at 2 feet and the ability to create first downs in broken plays from scracth. He needs to lift his release point and try to improve his throws when he can't stands with his 2 feets at the ground (roll-outs, etc...)

Regards!!

DaBrowns41
02-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Alex Carrington, and one of my favorites, Austen Lane will be the ones to watch.

TitanHope
02-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Hearing former Vols QB Jonathan Crompton is having a good week of practice so far! Hope he does well and gets drafted.

Some other names I'm interested in:

Nation:

QB Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee - Has all the tools necessary to be a NFL QB.
RB Curtic Steele, Memphis - Was a beast at Memphis.
OG Vladimir Richard, Tennessee - Richard and former teammate Jacques McClendon were probably two of the strongest players in the nation last year.
S Shann Schillinger, Montana - Saw him play live and a few times on TV, and was in on nearly every play. Gonnna be interesting to see how he stands out amongst D1 talent.

Texas:

RB/RS Trindon Holliday, LSU - Fast as hell, and one of the premier RS in the Draft.
QB Ryan Perrilloux, Jacksonville St. - Greatly talented player, but has character concerns which led to him being kicked off LSU's football team. Will be the first time many have seen him play since he was at LSU.

scottyboy
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
watch DE George Johnson on Nation. He's a raw, athletic manbeast. Needs to get more technique down but could be a nice 4th rotational DE because of his measurables.

Giantsfan1080
02-02-2010, 10:40 AM
watch DE George Johnson on Nation. He's a raw, athletic manbeast. Needs to get more technique down but could be a nice 4th rotational DE because of his measurables.

We landed a big recruit today!!!

YotoJets007
02-02-2010, 08:54 PM
according to draftguys, Crompton looks promising. Interesting.... Unless I overlook, I am kind of disappointed that this site does not cover any defensive part.

Jakey
02-02-2010, 09:10 PM
I cannot wait for the Draftguys to post their coverage of this game. They always do a great job. Where you at Sigmund?

Apparently no vids this year, Sigmund has had a baby! Still got updates, notes and prospect profiles and such, still should be an awesome read! :)

SKim172
02-03-2010, 03:56 PM

CBSSports, Draftguys, and DraftInsider mentioned Johnson on their sites - he's doing well, beating Veldheer a few times. Scouts commenting on his speed and power moves. He's also a bit of a talker, apparently. 6'4", 260 lbs, I could see him as a 3-4 OLB.

Marcus Easley is another guy to keep an eye on. UConn receiver, really should get a little more attention.

brat316
02-03-2010, 04:08 PM
How does Andre Neblett from Temple looking.

Texas Homer
02-06-2010, 01:43 AM
I think OT 6'7" 320 pound J'Marcus Webb is going to play in this game and I'm interested to see how he does.

brasho
02-06-2010, 09:20 PM
Watching the game on DVR now.

descendency
02-07-2010, 03:53 AM
I couldn't watch the game because I spent the day working on a team project due monday... couldn't do it tomorrow... Something about a happy bowl, super even.

How did Crompton play? Jared Veldheer?

MidwayMonster31
02-07-2010, 12:10 PM
What's changed for Crompton between September and now?
I thought he should've gotten benched in September, and now he's playing well.

adamprez2003
02-07-2010, 12:12 PM
i think crompton will be one of the best value picks in this years draft. i think the light just went on for him late. that will keep him down in the rounds but I expect him to outplay a few of the more vaunted names like McCoy

brasho
02-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Guys that stood at at Tv.N. DE/LB Junior Gallete showed great speed off the edge and enough strength that he might be able to put his hand down as a pro. LB/DE Albert McClelland from Mich St. showed good instincts, good hands and playmaking on a nice INT ret for a TD. Holliday really showcased his speed AND inconsistent hands. Kelton Tindall made an experience and showed his deep speed. DE EJ Wilson of UNC had two sacks and was very active. LT Jared Veldeheer looked athletic and deserving of a 3rd round selection. Crompton and Perriloux were the two best QBs there. Perrilous was inconsistent with his accuracy and Crompton missed a lot of throws but he was under intesnse heat most of the day.

I watched Brandon Sharpe as much as I could and saw very little from him. He stood his ground well against the run but didn't locate the ball, on the pass rush he got upfield but never turned the corner and often looked like he was not going fullspeed or was not rushing hard.

neko4
02-11-2010, 12:09 PM
So which QB looked the best?

Shane P. Hallam
02-11-2010, 12:22 PM
So which QB looked the best?

Crompton, by far.

neko4
02-11-2010, 12:27 PM
Crompton, by far.

Thats good, how did perrilloux play? Did he even play QB?

Shane P. Hallam
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM
Thats good, how did perrilloux play? Did he even play QB?

Perrilloux played pretty well too. Looked extremely athletic. If a team wants a Wild Cat QB this year, he will be the way to go. Still looks like he has "it" but struggled with accuracy on some specific NFL throws.

Giantsfan1080
02-11-2010, 02:09 PM
How did George Johnson play?

Shane P. Hallam
02-11-2010, 02:11 PM
How did George Johnson play?

Johnson looked great, very explosive in practices and the game itself. Helped his stock.

Grizzlegom
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Did any of the Penn Staters do anything? Josh Hull, AJ Wallace, and Dennis Landolt

Giantsfan1080
02-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Johnson looked great, very explosive in practices and the game itself. Helped his stock.

Thanks. I was hoping he had an outside shot for an invitation at the combine but I figured that wouldn't happen. I figure he'll end up in the 6th round with an outside shot at the 5th.

SKim172
02-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Downloaded a recording of the game and just watched it. My inexpert, amateurish opinions:

- George Johnson I watched closely, as an RU fan. He did alright, but he didn't impress. Most of the plays didn't really come his way, but on the other hand, he didn't really force his way towards the play. He didn't seem to be able to power through blockers. He lets blockers get low on him. He has the speed and quicks to get around blocks, but in this game, that amounted to blockers redirecting him away from the play. At one point, QB Thaddeus Lewis managed to tie him up on a reverse, stopped him from making the play. I'd say he's not going to be much of a down lineman in the NFL - best shot might be as a 3-4 outside rusher.

- EJ Wilson, on the other hand, was a beast. Had speed, but also had his way with blockers. Admittedly, the RT didn't seem very sharp, but Wilson has an NFL D-line spot in his future.

- Crompton definitely looked the part as a QB. He needs to tighten his accuracy a little, though.

- Rusty Smith has a really quick release. And he can be really on target sometimes. Other times, the ball will be 10 yards from his receiver. Marginal prospect, probably not an NFL guy.

- None of the running backs seemed great. Some flashed some potential - scouts might want to look closer.

- Trindon Holiday is fast.

- Veldheer looked okay. Got beat a few times - didn't really look special, IMO. But didn't look miserable.