PDA

View Full Version : NFC South Draft Preview

4thand18
01-21-2010, 01:01 AM
here's a prelim preview i put together for the NFC South:

http://4thand18.wordpress.com/2010/01/21/nfc-south-draft-preview/

some talking points:

-my biggest question mark is what the saints will do, i think they're a pretty deep team (evidenced by their season), but the secondary could use some help because the injuries really hurt...any other team that lost both starting corners for 4+ games would have been crippled

-raheem morris is a DB coach at heart, will he take berry (very high for a S, i don't know) or find a trade down to get haden around 5-7? would anybody be looking to jump in? somebody who wants bradford maybe

-the panthers are w/o a first rounder, what do they address in the 2nd? qb? wr? the defense?

my NFC east preview can be found here:
http://4thand18.wordpress.com/2010/01/12/nfc-east-draft-preview/

foozball
01-21-2010, 01:46 AM
gerald mccoy? prototypical nose tackle??? wuhhhhhh????

Flyboy
01-21-2010, 02:11 AM
We have A LOT of money invested in our secondary as is (this isn't even counting if we bring Sharper back after this year).. I don't see us doing much in the draft in regards to the secondary.

Caddy
01-21-2010, 07:24 AM
gerald mccoy? prototypical nose tackle??? wuhhhhhh????

Yeah McCoy is an under tackle - especially if he landed in Tampa Bay.

zachsaints52
01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Wow, CB huh? So if we draft someone in the first to be our Dime CB? They missed more games then they should have because we were resting them at the end, and Greer came back in the Carolina game just to get his feet back under him. Fail.

4thand18
01-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Wow, CB huh? So if we draft someone in the first to be our Dime CB? They missed more games then they should have because we were resting them at the end, and Greer came back in the Carolina game just to get his feet back under him. Fail.

what would you rather draft? DT to shore up the rushing defense? that wouldn't be a bad idea but the bottom of the first round isn't going to have much in the way of difference makers there...maybe Odrick from PSU but that's probably a reach at ~30

porter, greer and *** all missed time and as I mentioned, jenkins may be better suited for safety...I would argue that adding a corner would be a smart move to increase depth and it would free up jenkins to dabble at safety if Payton decided he wanted to try it (not sure he could make the switch, but that was the talk this time last year)

team's drafting as high as the saints will don't need a bunch of Day One playmakers, so why not draft for initial depth and an eye to the future

Rosebud
01-21-2010, 08:00 PM
That NFC East breakdown sucks hard for the giants. You ignore our top needs, SS and DT, while naming RB as a need when it isn't, our running game was stuffed by bad OL play and a huge amount of injuries. With a healthy crew of backs and Beatty taking over at LT the only need our running game has is Center, which you also failed to mention.

LB is the only position you mention that is even close to a need, but that's a need that's also mis-stated, we're strong at OLB with Sintim and Boley looking like they'll be starting at those spots for a long time while Goff has played very well when he's been on the field so while we could use a stud Mike like Spikes or McClain even they'd look like **** with our DT play from last season.

wicket
01-21-2010, 08:05 PM
holy crap, the saints draft needs in the preview are awful. wonder what made someone write that down. just flat out unknowledgable

YotoJets007
01-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Morris is DB at heart? What about QB Freeman? Also, you dont expect Bucs to draft DB in the first round annually.

First round prospect does not solve any crippled position because first round prospect is also liable to having severe injury as well.

I understand a lot of people make a nasty habit about drafting prospect for need in the first round but they should not as they go after best talent available. Naturally, getting crowd in a certain position is not recommended but Saints did that with Meacham; Giants did that with Tuck; Packers did that with Harrell.

Panthers' qb may not be a need because Moore did bring team back to 500 pct. Delhomme will still be a starter and Moore is a solid backup and developmental qb right now. No sense to hurry up and fetch a new and inexperienced qb to compete them.

scar988
01-21-2010, 08:22 PM
Atlanta Falcons

First Round Picks in 2010: #19/20 (depending on coin flip)

Best Pick of 2009: CB, San Jose State, 3rd round, Christopher Owens (29 tackles, 2 INTs)
That is just so far...

Team Needs:

* DE (Jamaal Anderson only had .5 sacks and John Abraham only had 5.5…Falcons finished 26th in sacks with just 28)
* Rush LB (For the same reasons as above, plus OLB Stephen Nicholas is probably expendable if the right OLB is drafted)
we don't use a rush OLB and Nicholas is way better than Peterson was... Peterson is expendable. Nicholas is a good young player for us. We do however need a WLB or SLB depending on what is available at the pick for our cover 2.

Potential Targets:

* DE Jason Pierre-Paul, USF (This year’s best defensive end, he probably won’t be available at 19, but the Falcons could trade up for him)
* DE Carlos Dunlap, Florida (Character issues should help Dunlap slip…I think he could have been a Top 10 pick if he stayed on the right path in school…He had less sacks than Paul [9 to 6] but is less of a dominating player)
* LB Sergio Kindle, Texas (One of the best outside linebackers in 2010, Kindle can help get the pass rush going…He had a total of 16 sacks in 2008 and 2009)
only Pierre is a potential target out of these 3. Kindle and Dunlap either don't fit the scheme (Dunlap) or don't fit the scheme and have bad character (Kindle) and we don't draft bad character.

wicket
01-21-2010, 08:51 PM
what would you rather draft? DT to shore up the rushing defense? that wouldn't be a bad idea but the bottom of the first round isn't going to have much in the way of difference makers there...maybe Odrick from PSU but that's probably a reach at ~30

porter, greer and *** all missed time and as I mentioned, jenkins may be better suited for safety...I would argue that adding a corner would be a smart move to increase depth and it would free up jenkins to dabble at safety if Payton decided he wanted to try it (not sure he could make the switch, but that was the talk this time last year)

team's drafting as high as the saints will don't need a bunch of Day One playmakers, so why not draft for initial depth and an eye to the future
In order
DT
OLB
DE
C
S
OT
RB
OG
ILB
QB
K

basicly everything but receiver or punter

zachsaints52
01-21-2010, 09:20 PM
In order
DT
OLB
DE
C
S
OT
RB
OG
ILB
QB
K

basicly everything but receiver or punter

Not according to that NOFALCON guy. We need TE WR etc.... But I see us going after a DT or OLB and if noone fell far down we will trade down.

prock
01-22-2010, 01:47 AM
That is just so far...

only Pierre is a potential target out of these 3. Kindle and Dunlap either don't fit the scheme (Dunlap) or don't fit the scheme and have bad character (Kindle) and we don't draft bad character.

on a side note, since we all agree this preview sucks hard, i would like to be informed on how kindle has bad character. i keep hearing that, but i guess i dont follow texas close enough or something, because i havent heard of any red flags. and on another side note, minor red flags that give people the bad character tag are completely overblown.