PDA

View Full Version : How good of a prospect is Dez Bryant?

Shane P. Hallam
01-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Something I have wondered. I think people may even be a bit low on him. Here is a tweet from former Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah:

"I have said all along that I thought Dez Bryant was better WR coming out than Crabtree... Haven't found a scout/exec that disagrees"

"is Andre Johnson the best comparison for Dez Bryant?> I have used that comparison... body types are almost identical"

http://twitter.com/MoveTheSticks

prock
01-21-2010, 03:03 PM
i think dez is a good receiver, undoubtedly the number one prospect in this class, but i dont think he is in the andre johnson mold. i cant decide how much i actually like him, i gotta watch more on him...

foozball
01-21-2010, 03:06 PM
Not really Andre Johnson

Great size, great hands, great deep threat...but not great speed. I think he compares to Fitzy more than Andre.

AntoinCD
01-21-2010, 03:12 PM
I really like Bryant and I definitely think he will end up a top ten pick. Not sure I like the Andre Johnson comparison though. I think Johnson is bigger in terms of build, not saying Bryant is small but Andre's an animal.

Im not sure I would definitely take him over Crabtree either. He may end up a bigger playmaker but I think Crabtree's hands are better and he would be a far more polished target.

Splat
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
There is just something about him that scares me just a gut thing I really don't want to see the Chiefs take him top five.

Saints-Tigers
01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Andre Johnson is stupid strong, he had to have at least 10 pounds on Bryant coming out.

Johnson is a guy you can get the ball to whenever you want, in the intermediate range, that's why it doesn't matter who the QB has been, or how much they force feed him the ball, he just sucks in all hte catches and is a load to bring down.

Dez might end up a more dynamic deep threat and threat to score, but who knows, it's hard to break past that 8-10 range, even for great receivers like Marshall and Johnson.

BaLLiN
01-21-2010, 03:24 PM
Roy Williams?

brat316
01-21-2010, 03:40 PM
idk T.O comes to mind more the Andre.

ThePudge
01-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Something I have wondered. I think people may even be a bit low on him. Here is a tweet from former Ravens scout Daniel Jeremiah:

"I have said all along that I thought Dez Bryant was better WR coming out than Crabtree... Haven't found a scout/exec that disagrees"

"is Andre Johnson the best comparison for Dez Bryant?> I have used that comparison... body types are almost identical"

Great topic, I've been thinking of the same thing myself. I've always believed he is a Top 10-12 prospect, and had him 5th on my last board. I've since moved Bryant up, all the way to #3. At this point I think he's more worthy of a Top 3 pick than a Defensive Back in Eric Berry. I also worry if Berry will be making a position change in the NFL, though I think he's just fine at Safety.

As for Bryant, he's quicker, faster, and more explosive than most think. Everyone knew he was a beast a year ago. His stats, which he accumulated in a more pro-style offense where the running game was a big part, are rarely posted here. The guy had 87 rec for 1480 yds (17.0 avg) and 19 Td's; in addition to being the nation's best receiver, he was also an explosive punt returner with a 15.3 avg and 2 Td's.

Not many talk about Bryant as a Punt Returner, but that's where you really get to see how good his feet are, how quick he is to accelerate, and his deep speed. He's a sudden player as well, capable of getting separation on comeback routes and out routes. He has elite body control, and is a big, physical guy who makes plays in traffic, and has no fear of going over the middle. He's got strong hands, goes up and gets balls, and creates for himself and runs hard after the catch. I imagine he'll wind up measuring in at about 6'1 3/4 or so 215, and I expect he'll run somewhere around 4.45, perhaps even a bit faster (I just think the guy has excellent explosion and game speed.) The biggest knock against him is his suspension off the field, and the lack of college experience he has on the field.

The more I think about it, the more I see it, Dez Bryant is an elite WR prospect deserving a Top 5 selection in April. He doesn't have all that big a college track record to look at, but in 2008-09 he showcased elite talent, and flashed that same ability in three games this season. Behind Ndamukong Su and Gerald McCoy, I think Dez Bryant is the best NFL prospect in this class. I'm not saying he'll be Andre Johnson, I'm not saying he's Larry Fitzgerald, but I don't think he has to be exactly one of those guys to succeed. I think Bryant will be an impact player right away at the next level, and should be a star receiver in the NFL.

psupride1131
01-21-2010, 04:12 PM
In terms of physique and ability to go up and get the ball...the first player that comes to mind is braylon edwards...

ThePudge
01-21-2010, 04:13 PM
In terms of physique and ability to go up and get the ball...the first player that comes to mind is braylon edwards...

I think he is a quicker/faster, more explosive Braylon Edwards as a prospect. Good comparison.

no bare feet
01-21-2010, 04:23 PM
I don't think you can compare Dez to any one as a prospect, but if I was I see some Fitzgerald and Andre Johnson in him. One thing that many people see as a knock, that I see as a spark is his suspension. It will fuel his fire. I think Dez Bryant will be a top notch receiver within 3 years. I like his route running, his hands, he has decent burst, he can get seperation. He also knows how to bait CB's. Not many people can do that at such a young age. Crabtree could do it ok, but I haven't seen a young receiver bait CB's like he does since Fitzgerald. I have Dez in the top tier of prospects this year.

GoRavens
01-21-2010, 04:27 PM
I always remember Rashaun Woods whenever there's talk about Dez.
Don't think he'll be a bust, and the Andre comparison is spot on.. I wonder if he'll crack a 4.40 flat...

RaiderNation
01-21-2010, 04:38 PM
Ive been kind of back and forth on Dez. Sucks we didnt get to see him play alot this year

DraftSwag
01-21-2010, 05:25 PM
I got to watch Dez as a sophmore and I think he is special. The reason why I like him is because of his ability to run after the catch. He's somewhat elusive kind of like Crabtree. Not sure I would compare him to Andre but haven't watched enough Andre.

JRTPlaya21
01-21-2010, 05:30 PM
Pudge do you ever post something that I just don't love reading? :). Bryant is a flat out stud and I can't wait to see where he ends up.

SenorGato
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM

Yes and yes.

I have Bryant going to the Browns, and he's one of the guys who should go in the first 6 picks. I'd be willing to argue that he's the 3rd best prospect in this draft.

I've made the AJ comparison before too...Bryant looked jacked at the beginning of the year and he's got that kind of body type. He's also faster than he's given credit for. Johnson definitely got bigger and stronger as a pro guys...just like Fitzgerald did...I think Bryant is a better YAC guy than Fitzgerald was up until '07 probably '08. He's also in that tier of WR prospect...star potential.

eagles6606
01-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Dez Bryant is definately a top 10 talent. He has great size, hands, leaping ability, and good speed. I definately think he is a better prospect than Crabtree. He might have a hard time going in the top 10 because of teams needs, but whoever gets hm will be lucky.

DraftSwag
01-21-2010, 05:38 PM
Why is Brandon Lafells not getting any love? I watched most of the WR prospects from this year and he was probably the one that was the most intriguing to me. If he had a quarterback that was consistent I think he would have put up ridiculous numbers. Great route runner, good size, decent speed and ability to run after the catch.

TACKLE
01-21-2010, 05:53 PM
To me he's the 4th best player in this draft. Physically, he is the complete package. He gets separation. I've seen him run routes over the middle many times and he has great hands in traffic. We all know he can be a vertical threat with his speed and great jump ball ability.

With that being said I don't think he's quite on Andre's level and would necessarily put him above Crabtree though it is very close. Although Dez possesses a similar skillset to Andre, Andre was just physcially little better than Dez's in every area. Size, speed, strength and he played in a pro style offense.

Though I do feel that Dez has superior physical tools, I'm not ready to say that Dez is clearly a better prospect than Crabtree. Crabtree's production was obviously astronomical and he was able to do this he also possessed elite hands and probably the best short area quickness I've seen out of a big receiver. He had the quicks of a 5'10 slot WR in the body of a 6'2 215 player who was one of the most physical WR's in college football. Crabtree has a better short area burst than Dez. If Graham Harrell had a better arm, Crabtree could have been a much more dangerous vertical threat with his great body positioning and ability to separate despite his lack of elite top end speed.

Spectre
01-21-2010, 06:03 PM
Great comments here, I think Dez is suffering from being out of sight, out of mind. Understandably, when people don't get to watch a guy for a year, they tend to forget what he brings to the table and focus on guys they've had an opportunity to watch. Dez is much faster than people realize, nor is his suspension going to end up being a big deal to most. When he runs, works out and interviews at the Combine, expect his stock to shoot up. I agree with most of the sentiment here - he's a legit Top 5 pick.

RealityCheck
01-21-2010, 06:16 PM
Good enough to be the #1 WR in this draft, about the same level of Crabtree.

J-Mike88
01-21-2010, 09:09 PM
That's exactly what I was going to say, Braylon Edwards, before Braylon's hands turned to butter.

superman8456
01-21-2010, 09:10 PM
I have been sold on Bryant ever since I saw him make that adjustment on the ball in mid air for that touchdown against Georgia.

TitanHope
01-21-2010, 09:21 PM
Stephenson LOVES him, which has me worried about DB... ;)

But seriously, I think Dez Bryant will be a very good player. Even if he's not an All-Pro at WR, he's gonna be a helluva' RS. He's like a bigger Ted Ginn.

I agree with Jeremiah. I like Bryant more than Crabtree as well.

Mauck
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
They have a similar style of game, and Bryant can do a lot of the things Johnson can, but he definitely doesn't have the same speed or strength.

Andre Johnson was the Big East 60 and 100 meter sprint champion. Dez just doesn't scream "sprint champion" to me. He's also close to 20 lbs lighter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=spcmVJM56Zg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ5uPJGwscU

wogitalia
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
Has anyone got any word on what kind of shape he has maintained through his suspension?

I think that is going to be the single biggest factor, if he really wants to be great, he has basically had an extra 3 months to prepare for the draft and combine and should destroy the testing. If he is happy to get by on natural ability he will show up in less than ideal shape.

I think the combine for him may be more important than for any other player as it will really indicate his work ethics and passion for the game and probably also will show whether the off field thing is an issue or not, in other words does he take it as an opportunity and use the extra time or does he dwell on it and lose some fitness and what not.

As a receiver, he is a scary good prospect. Certainly see the Braylon Edwards comparison and Braylon was a very good prospect. Bryant is maybe a little more physical in my book, which is a good thing.

regoob2
01-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I still like the Chris Chambers comparison. Great ball skills and run after the catch.

SenorGato
01-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Has anyone got any word on what kind of shape he has maintained through his suspension?

I think that is going to be the single biggest factor, if he really wants to be great, he has basically had an extra 3 months to prepare for the draft and combine and should destroy the testing. If he is happy to get by on natural ability he will show up in less than ideal shape.

I think the combine for him may be more important than for any other player as it will really indicate his work ethics and passion for the game and probably also will show whether the off field thing is an issue or not, in other words does he take it as an opportunity and use the extra time or does he dwell on it and lose some fitness and what not.

As a receiver, he is a scary good prospect. Certainly see the Braylon Edwards comparison and Braylon was a very good prospect. Bryant is maybe a little more physical in my book, which is a good thing.

Once in a while a "Dez Bryant working out" story shows up. He looked like he was in ridiculous shape early, and he may be a legit 220.

ThePudge
01-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Once in a while a "Dez Bryant working out" story shows up. He looked like he was in ridiculous shape early, and he may be a legit 220.

http://kegsneggsblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Dez-Bryant.jpg

Bryant's a beast. If Ndamukong Suh/Gerald McCoy go #1/#2, I wouldn't have a problem with Tampa Bay grabbing Josh Freeman a potential star receiver. Kansas City has bigger needs, but it wouldn't be so bad if they nabbed Bryant. I can't see him falling past Cleveland at 7th Overall at this point.

bigbuc
01-21-2010, 11:04 PM
I want Tampa to draft him just from that dope pic.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 01:19 AM
If I was built like that I would literally stare at myself all day, and then go hone my Parkour techniques

gpngc
01-22-2010, 01:44 AM
Here's what I've thought pretty much all year:

01. Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska
02. C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson
03. Eric Berry, S, Tennessee
04. Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State
05. Rolando McClain, LB, Alabama
06. Dez Bryant, WR, Oklahoma State

Crabtree was more polished, but Bryant is probably a little quicker, faster, and more explosive.

Both will be #1 stud WRs within the next few years unless they don't work on their craft at all. Too much talent.

Fitzgerald was the greatest WR I had ever seen so no prospect compares to him.

As for Andre- that's closer but he was probably the most freakish WR prospect ever so I'm not sure he's on that level either.

All that matters is that if he's in shape, he isn't a complete idiot, and says the right things, he'll be considered an elite prospect in this draft.

Razor
01-22-2010, 04:50 AM
Like most of you, I also think that Bryant is the complete package. But when you look at the teams drafting on the top 20, there are not alot of teams that can "afford" to pick a WR due to needs at other position. In fact, at this point I only see two teams in the top 20 who would take a WR: Seahawks and Dolphins. But here's the thing. Seahawks have other, more pressing needs than a WR. They need a QB, LOT, S and a DE more than a receiver imo. Dolphins also have other needs, although no where near as pressing as Seahawks. Imo the Dolphins are more likely to select Spiller or a pass rusher over Bryant. This means that the next team in line to draft hiim is the Bengals. I'm not saying that this is how it's going to be, but at this point in time I don't see Bryant (or any other WR for that matter) being draftet in the top 20.

Scott Wright
01-22-2010, 04:58 AM
For those who missed it Dez Bryant debuted as the #4 prospect in my overall rankings.

I agree that it's a bit difficult to find a home for him in mock drafts but there are plenty of potential landing spots. St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Kansas City, Cleveland, Buffalo, Denver, Miami in the Top 12 alone. Somebody is going to grab him in the top dozen picks.

AntoinCD
01-22-2010, 06:31 AM
My top two possible destinations at the minute are Cleveland and Denver. The top end talent is so good teams like TB and KC can get a top talent at a more pressing area of need(DT, S, OT etc). Cleveland's possibilities could end up being Bryant, Joe Haden, their top rated OLB or Rolando McClain. If I had the choice I it would be either Haden or Bryant there.

Oakland won't go WR again in the top ten, Chan Gailey emphasised fundamentals and blocking in his introductory press conference so I think they go either O-lineman or pass rusher(i'm thinking Davis or Morgan), Jacksonville have too many holes and the emergence of Sims-Walker allows them to look other directions.

In Denver, it is more than likely that Brandon Marshall will be gone and Eddie Royal is not a number one WR. McDaniels showed he can direct a good offense with a mediocre QB as long as he has weapons.

If he falls past Denver it's anyones guess. Parcells has only once taken a first round WR(Terry Glenn) and after that the bidding will start with teams trying to trade up for him.