View Full Version : Mike Iupati Interview

Scott Wright
01-21-2010, 09:23 PM
Just posted my interview with Idaho OG Mike Iupati:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Mike-Iupati/Mike-Iupati.php

superman8456
01-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I like this guy!

I love the non bland answers, unlike CJ Spiller.

princefielder28
01-21-2010, 09:44 PM
good work Scott...

Splat
01-21-2010, 09:59 PM
I would love for the Chiefs to grab this guy with their second round pick but I think he will be gone.

RealityCheck
01-22-2010, 10:22 AM
Good job. I would like him in the Pats if we didn't have many needs.

TatupuOwnsYou
01-22-2010, 10:42 AM
Scott Wright: You have a reputation as a player who really takes care of business in the weight room. What are your personal bests?

Mike Iupati: Bench: 400 | Squat: 580 | Power Clean: 330

I really hope these numbers were wrong. I was high on Iupati but there are high schoolers that can bench 400 pounds. I don't want to think about what NFL defensive tackles would do to Iupati if he were this weak...

killxswitch
01-22-2010, 11:14 AM
Scott Wright: You have a reputation as a player who really takes care of business in the weight room. What are your personal bests?

I really hope these numbers were wrong. I was high on Iupati but there are high schoolers that can bench 400 pounds. I don't want to think about what NFL defensive tackles would do to Iupati if he were this weak...

I don't think it's a dealbreaker but those numbers did surprise me. I think Darren Sproles benches 400. 400 is far from weak but a guy like him I expected to have hit over 500 for a single. I also thought he'd have over 600 lbs. on squat. Any weight on cleans over 300 seems pretty impressive to me though, that would indicate explosive strength.

The good news is, he will get stronger as he goes. He may have just not needed to get stronger than that playing in the WAC.

lance uppercut
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
I try not to take much (if anything) out of bench press measurables. it's a totally incomplete indicator of functional strength. Iupati's tape shows how explosive he is. complete road grader.

Canadian_draft_fan
01-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Everyone missed the subliminal message in his interview. He was just screaming "Draft me, Redskins, draft me!!!"' LOL, he will probably be gone by the Redskins 2nd rounder anyway. Someone will draft him and have a franchise OG for 10 years.

J-Mike88
01-22-2010, 10:15 PM
He has the size, but doesn't he have the ability to play tackle?
Or is he more of a Leonard Davis type who bombed as a T but succeeded as a G?

56crash
01-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Just posted my interview with Idaho OG Mike Iupati:

http://www.draftcountdown.com/interviews/Mike-Iupati/Mike-Iupati.php

thanks scott I am hoping the Broncos trade down some and pick up him for LG

Paranoidmoonduck
01-26-2010, 07:44 PM
I was sort of hoping to hear his opinion on the idea of playing tackle in the NFL...

TACKLE
01-26-2010, 08:33 PM
I was sort of hoping to hear his opinion on the idea of playing tackle in the NFL...

They tried playing him there at Senior Bowl today and he looked like a fish out of water. The footwork is very different from guard so I won't hold it against him but in the brief opportunity he had at LT, he looked bad. One play he got put on his back.

killxswitch
01-27-2010, 01:17 PM
Outside of measurables I don't understand where the Iupati love came from. I got caught up in it too, but I don't really know why. It's not like I dissected a bunch of Idaho games this year. Sounds like he'll be a really good guard.

LonghornsLegend
01-28-2010, 08:18 PM
I was hoping there would be a question asking him what it would be like to get drafted by the Cowboys in round 1 :D I could care less what his bench press is, line him up vs Vernon Gholston and see what happens, everybody knows Samoans have natural strength that translates to the field and not the weightroom :)

villagewarrior
01-29-2010, 10:22 AM

How long are his arms? That will play a role. Look at his squat and power clean, there is serious explosion right there.

TACKLE
01-29-2010, 02:46 PM
How long are his arms? That will play a role. Look at his squat and power clean, there is serious explosion right there.

35 inches which is very long and would certainly affect his Bench. Though if you've watch him play, his upper body strength is very noticeable. He's such a great finisher and a lot of that has to do with the fact the he has a powerful upper body. He'll get at least 22 reps at the combine so he'll be fine.