PDA

View Full Version : How do certain players end up with cult following or the opposite of that on here?

DreadedDatSkinsFan
01-21-2010, 11:19 PM
I've been on this board for a while, I don't post THAT much, but from Dec-May'ish I log on daily. I always wondered how a player like Jordy Nelson gets a cult following on here, I'm not callin him a bum or anything but there are a lot of people on this board love Jordy. I also wonder how a player like Arrelious Benn get dogged on here so much, I've seen his name come up in various "bust" threads. I know his production dropped and I won't make an excuse but I would imagine its hard to produce with Juice...

Anyway how does it happen???

SenorGato
01-21-2010, 11:20 PM
What have you done for me lately?

DreadedDatSkinsFan
01-21-2010, 11:27 PM
*a cult following....my bad

Gato, there are people on here who still love Mays, he has done next to nothing lately...ya know...

zachsaints52
01-21-2010, 11:30 PM
I've been on this board for a while, I don't post THAT much, but from Dec-May'ish I log on daily. I always wondered how a player like Jordy Nelson gets a cult following on here, I'm not callin him a bum or anything but there are a lot of people on this board love Jordy. I also wonder how a player like Arrelious Benn get dogged on here so much, I've seen his name come up in various "bust" threads. I know his production dropped and I won't make an excuse but I would imagine its hard to produce with Juice...

Im pretty sure they are exaggerating their love for him.

SenorGato
01-21-2010, 11:47 PM
*a cult following....my bad

Gato, there are people on here who still love Mays, he has done next to nothing lately...ya know...

Yea, but alot of guys also dislike Mays. I'm not a fan, but I can see why people like him.

Oh and Zach is right that the Jordy thing is a joke.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 12:58 AM
Jordy is not a joke.

Look what happened to Aaron Rodgers after Jordy caught some of his passes. The proof is in the puddingzzz.

Scott Wright
01-22-2010, 01:07 AM
It works the other way too, like with James Laurinaitis and everyone calling him a "pile jumper".

All he did was rack up 120 tackles, which placed him 14th in the league.

prock
01-22-2010, 01:42 AM

i ******* hate jordy nelson. he sucks.

brat316
01-22-2010, 08:30 AM
its usually a joke

Babylon
01-22-2010, 12:53 PM
If you have zzzzzzs after your name you get a lot of pub.

vikes_28
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Its cause he's a white WR. Kind of like Shipleyzzz

bored of education
01-22-2010, 12:59 PM
It works the other way too, like with James Laurinaitis and everyone calling him a "pile jumper".

He must've jump a lot of piles. :)

Bengals78
01-22-2010, 01:02 PM
Really all you gotta do is play for Rutgers and it is a lock you will have at least one die-hard follower here....*cough*scottyboy*cough*

zachsaints52
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
My name would be awesome then... Zach Armszzzzzzzz
You can bow now.

FUNBUNCHER
01-22-2010, 01:47 PM
Heck if I know.

I'm too busy re-adjusting my Toby Gerhart fathead on the ceiling!!!

Brothgar
01-22-2010, 01:53 PM
It makes you wonder if Scouts and GMs read this forum. I mean durring most of the draft process Jordyzzz was a 3rd round at best WR then draft day comes and he is a high 2nd coincidence? I think not.

Xonraider
01-22-2010, 01:54 PM

You deserve some neg rep sir.

lol

Really all you gotta do is play for Rutgers and it is a lock you will have at least one die-hard follower here....*cough*scottyboy*cough*

scotty taught Ray Rice all he needed to know to make it in the NFL.

prock
01-22-2010, 02:32 PM

hahah well said.

prock
01-22-2010, 02:33 PM
You deserve some neg rep sir.

im a vikes homer bro

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 02:57 PM
It makes you wonder if Scouts and GMs read this forum. I mean durring most of the draft process Jordyzzz was a 3rd round at best WR then draft day comes and he is a high 2nd coincidence? I think not.

Interesting thought. It could be that they just saw the light.

soybean
01-22-2010, 03:14 PM

120 of them.

Halsey
01-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Two reasons that come to mind for why players get so many people on their bandwagon is exposure and recent history. I see numerous posters saying in the latest mock Draft thread that they want their team to select Rolando Mcclain. I know he's a good prospect and all, but I'm not sure people would be so high on him if they hadn't seen so much of him playing for the best team in the country this past season. If he was the same player, but played for a smaller school that didn't just play in the BCS Title game, I'm not sure he'd have the same following.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
Two reasons that come to mind for why players get so many people on their bandwagon is exposure and recent history. I see numerous posters saying in the latest mock Draft thread that they want their team to select Rolando Mcclain. I know he's a good prospect and all, but I'm not sure people would be so high on him if they hadn't seen so much of him playing for the best team in the country this past season. If he was the same player, but played for a smaller school that didn't just play in the BCS Title game, I'm not sure he'd have the same following.

He is not as highly regarded as Aaron Curry was this time last year, and he came out of Wake Forest.

Halsey
01-22-2010, 03:30 PM
He is not as highly regarded as Aaron Curry was this time last year, and he came out of Wake Forest.

Disagree. In the minds of NFL scouts and hard core Draft followers that may be true. However, I imagine Mcclain is more well known to most fans than Curry was this time last year.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Disagree. In the minds of NFL scouts and hard core Draft followers that may be true. However, I imagine Mcclain is more well known to most fans than Curry was this time last year.

Hm okay I will buy that, but the fans don't make teh draft decisionz. Scouts can and do buy into hype but I think it's a lot less exaggerated than common perception.

stephenson86
01-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Jordyzzz coz he is white jezues

bearsfan_51
01-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Actually I made up Jordyzzzz because some guy wouldn't shut up about him.

Also I hate white people.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Kill whiteyzzz!

Babylon
01-22-2010, 05:18 PM

That's pretty funny........seriously?

WMD
01-22-2010, 05:33 PM
Either that or they just read my mock draft in which I correctly had Jordy Nelson being drafted #36 Overall(!!!!) but to the Jets, who originally held the pick, not the Packers.

Truly the greatest moment ever in my life.

P-L
01-22-2010, 05:42 PM

Yeah but he ranked 12th among inside linebackers and was in the bottom half among 4-3 middle linebackers. Laurinaitis still has yet to prove his critics wrong. Ernie Sims racked up 134 tackles two years ago and he is a terrible linebacker.

nhlkdog411
01-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Yeah but he ranked 12th among inside linebackers and was in the bottom half among 4-3 middle linebackers. Laurinaitis still has yet to prove his critics wrong. Ernie Sims racked up 134 tackles two years ago and he is a terrible linebacker.

12th among inside lbs would put him at worst in the middle of the pack in terms of number of tackles and this is as a rookie.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Tackle stats are completely unofficial.

Saints-Tigers
01-22-2010, 06:41 PM
We should use a letter backing for players we hate as well.

So if Jordy becomes Jordyzzzzzzzzz, then Carlos Dunlap could be Carlosxxxxxxxxxx

Clayton89
01-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Ya tackles is seriously one of the most meaningless stats in the NFL I mean I guess its good hes around the ball often but from watching at least 6 Rams games ( u have no idea how hard that was especially since I could care less about the Rams) he never really stood out. Theres no question he will start for many years to come but I dont see him becoming the elite LB he was being touted as early in his college career.

BeerBaron
01-23-2010, 01:46 AM
Ah, the pile jumper, lol....I don't remember which poster it was, I wish I could credit them for this here, but I was in the college gameday thread early 2 seasons ago and they said something like:

"I can watch an entire Ohio State game, not see Laurinaitis make a single great play, and then look at the stat line after the game to see him credited with 18 tackles."

I just loved the way it was put, and that thought stuck with me as I watched him in any games after that....and it proved to be quite true.

Scotty D
01-23-2010, 03:46 AM
I think its Sniper that started the "pile jumper" thing, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

CC.SD
01-23-2010, 03:56 AM
I think its Sniper that started the "pile jumper" thing, but I'm not 100 percent sure.

I think James himself deserves at least some of the credit

TACKLE
01-23-2010, 11:23 AM
There is some merit to the pile jumping claim for JL. I know tackle stats aren't accurate but he does have an oddly high amount of assisted tackles.

2006: 53 solo, 62 assisted
2007: 51 solo, 70 assisted
2008: 52 solo, 78 assisted

Halsey
01-23-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't know why it is, but it seems white LB's get the 'pile jumper' labels quite often. I remember the hilarity of seeing Keith Brooking called 'pile jumper' by many Falcon fans.....despite the fact the he led the league in solo tackles once or twice in his career. Yeah, tackle stats may not be 'official', but that doesn't mean they are being pulled out of someone's butt. When I pointed out to people that Brooking led the league in solo tackles that year they tried to claim some kind of conspiracy. :rolleyes:

Babylon
01-23-2010, 11:46 AM
I don't know why it is, but it seems white LB's get the 'pile jumper' labels quite often. I remember the hilarity of seeing Keith Brooking called 'pile jumper' by many Falcon fans.....despite the fact the he led the league in solo tackles once or twice in his career. Yeah, tackle stats may not be 'official', but that doesn't mean they are being pulled out of someone's butt. When I pointed out to people that Brooking led the league in solo tackles that year they tried to claim some kind of conspiracy. :rolleyes:

It's the reverse zzzzzz effect.

nhlkdog411
01-23-2010, 12:00 PM
There is some merit to the pile jumping claim for JL. I know tackle stats aren't accurate but he does have an oddly high amount of assisted tackles.

2006: 53 solo, 62 assisted
2007: 51 solo, 70 assisted
2008: 52 solo, 78 assisted

yeah but this year in the NFL he had 107 solo with 13 assist...he was like the anti pile jumper.

Rosebud
01-23-2010, 12:32 PM
My name would be awesome then... Zach Armszzzzzzzz
You can bow now.

Still no Dick Armyzzzzz

EvilNixon
01-23-2010, 12:59 PM
I don't really know why. *Goes to fap to my DHB poster*

CC.SD
01-23-2010, 01:41 PM
I don't really know why. *Goes to fap to my DHB poster*

*Dick slips out of hands

*again and again

Clayton89
01-24-2010, 12:08 AM
*Dick slips out of hands

*again and again

hahahahahaha

Xonraider
01-24-2010, 02:07 AM
*Dick slips out of hands

*again and again

Why is your name yellow-ish?

CC.SD
01-24-2010, 02:44 AM
http://smithbeachwood.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/i-dreamed-it.jpg

Brent
01-24-2010, 09:16 AM
In response to the OP:

People get a cult following for a number of reasons; if you are curious about Jordy Nelson, the answer is this: most the people on this forum are white kids in the age group of 16-22, they want a white skill player with talent for reasons I cannot understand

LonghornsLegend
01-24-2010, 09:33 AM
I also wonder how a player like Arrelious Benn get dogged on here so much, I've seen his name come up in various "bust" threads. I know his production dropped and I won't make an excuse but I would imagine its hard to produce with Juice...

Because he has all the looks of a bust, that's not to say he will, but he's surely stacking up to have all the traits of one easily. All your drafting him on is potential, those guys end up being bust alot more then anyone else.

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Negged. Not really but you deserve to be double-sack-whacked for telling a lie like that.

Its cause he's a white WR. Kind of like Shipleyzzz
Or because he's ******* Jesus in pads. Shipley with the z's is being forced. Nobody says Welkerzzz, Colliezzz, Stokleyzzz, Jureviciuszzz, McCafferyzzz, Curtiszzz, Dwightzzz. Ok, maybe Dwightzzz. But Jordy is special in that regard.
In response to the OP:

People get a cult following for a number of reasons; if you are curious about Jordy Nelson, the answer is this: most the people on this forum are white kids in the age group of 16-22, they want a white skill player with talent for reasons I cannot understand
Our prayers were answered by Jordy leading us to believe he has some higher power.

Never disrespect Jordy Ray "Jordyzzz" Nelson ever again. Ever!

Brothgar
01-24-2010, 10:05 AM
In response to the OP:

http://weblogs.wpix.com/sports/thehuddle/rush_limbaugh_0213.jpg

I'm sorry to say this I don't think he's been that good from the get go. I think what we have here is a little social concern on SWDC. The posters have been very desirious that a white WR do well. White WRs and Running backs do well. I think there is a little HOPE invested in Jordyzzz and Tobyzzz and they are getting credit that they don't deserve.

BlairWitchProject
01-24-2010, 10:06 AM
Negged. Not really but you deserve to be double-sack-whacked for telling a lie like that.

Or because he's ******* Jesus in pads.

Our prayers were answered by Jordy leading us to believe he has some higher power.

Never disrespect Jordy Ray "Jordyzzz" Nelson ever again. Ever!

Proves my point exactly.

BlairWitchProject
01-24-2010, 10:08 AM

I'm sorry to say this I don't think he's been that good from the get go. I think what we have here is a little social concern on SWDC. The posters have been very desirious that a white WR do well. White WRs and Running backs do well. I think there is a little HOPE invested in Jordyzzz and Tobyzzz and they are getting credit that they don't deserve.

Typical, just typical, most of the posters on this board go out of their way to discredit white players, mocking them, discrediting any of their accomplishments, I think it's actually quite sad.

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 10:26 AM
In all fairness, Jordy has done little to no wrong at the WR position. We invested a second round pick in him. It wasn't because he's white, it's because he can play ball. Right now, he's our 4th, maybe 5th target in the passing game but once Driver retires he'll see a more expanded role. Jordy Nelson does not suck by any means. The Packers just has a log jam for targets between Jennings, Driver, Jones, Finley, and himself.

Brothgar
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Typical, just typical, most of the posters on this board go out of their way to discredit white players, mocking them, discrediting any of their accomplishments, I think it's actually quite sad.

I find the fact that he didn't get the reference hilarious.

nobodyinparticular
01-24-2010, 11:52 AM

The funny thing is that most SWDC fanboys and "haters" are just pile jumping. (now meaning metaphorically or course)

A lot of the biggest movements on the board, i.e. "Laurinaitis is a pilejumper" "Jordy (aka 'Jesus') Nelson" "Arrelious is going to bust" etc, are simply posters parroting other posters. A couple posters will say the same thing about a player and then a few posters will join in on it. Now with a handful of posters saying the same thing, more people will join in. Soon it is a board-wide movement. Thus, posters end up pile jumping (also known as bandwagoning).

The truth is that the group of people doesn't even have to have a whole lot of posters, they just have to be loud and obnoxious to be heard. Personally, I would much rather have the site calm down from the Jordy Nelson stuff. I can't believe people are still referencing that bandwagon with the over-the-top comparisons and predictions and then all the "zzzzz"s. Less bandwagoning, more careful analysis.

Babylon
01-24-2010, 11:57 AM

Seeing that picture of Rush about ruined my morning, thanks.

zachsaints52
01-24-2010, 12:17 PM
Still no Dick Armyzzzzz

No, its better.

BaLLiN
01-24-2010, 12:30 PM
Earlz thomazz?

senormysterioso
01-24-2010, 12:33 PM
Or because he's ******* Jesus in pads. Shipley with the z's is being forced. Nobody says Welkerzzz, Colliezzz, Stokleyzzz, Jureviciuszzz, McCafferyzzz, Curtiszzz, Dwightzzz. Ok, maybe Dwightzzz. But Jordy is special in that regard.

What about Anthony Gonzalez(zzzz)

MetSox17
01-24-2010, 01:55 PM
We should use a letter backing for players we hate as well.

So if Jordy becomes Jordyzzzzzzzzz, then Carlos Dunlap could be Carlosxxxxxxxxxx

Very underrated post.

FUNBUNCHER
01-24-2010, 01:59 PM
The last two pages of this thread are hilarious!!!!!

RaiderNation
01-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Next year....

Jake LockerzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz
http://walterfootball.com/images/fball/JLocker.jpg

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 02:29 PM
What about Anthony Gonzalez(zzzz)

Already ends in a 'z'. He inherited the greatness.