PDA

View Full Version : Character Issues Thread

jumbo
01-22-2010, 03:49 AM
Been following the draft for years but still a relative draft newbie. I get almost all my information from this site and the DC forums are especially helpful.

One thing I always see is that some player(Spikes, Davis, etc) has character concerns and it might lower their draft stock. Thing is I can never find out what the concerns are and where to find out more about them. Some are obvious, like blount, but others i really have no idea what the concerns are. Also, my guess is that some concerns are more important to scouts that others(like in 2007 when some players admitted to smoking pot and it didnt change their value at all).

I searched the forum for something related to character concerns and didnt find anything, so I am trying to start one. Here you can post a player who is "tagged" as having character concerns, what the issues are or might be,post links of incidents, and how they may effect their stock. This thread can be a place DC members can refute the concerns if they know its only a rumor, have insider knowledge about the incident(s), it not being a big deal or exaggerated, etc.

AntoinCD
01-22-2010, 06:09 AM
Not sure I would put Spikes in the 'character concern' brackett. Yeah he gouged a guys eyes but it was in the heat of the game and there has been no other problems.

Character concerns are more for people who are

a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.

b). weight, stamina concerns. A lot of players have simply eaten their way out of the league.

c). players who have legal worries be it DUI, drugs, or assault etc.

I actually think the last one is the least serious for an NFL team. Some players in the NFL with one or more of those listed in group C; Jared Allen, James Harrison, Percy Harvin even Calvin Johnson admitted to taking marijuana in college. If they can be surrounded by level headed guys in the lockerroom they can be turned around.

However, if you are unmotivated or undisciplined about your weight there is nothing that can change that. Vernon Gholston got top ten money and should have started under Mangini. When he didn't everyone thought if anyone can get it out of him it will be Rex Ryan. Well, after almost two full season he has still to register a sack.

In regards to Anthony Davis he has been benched a few times and has struggled in the past to keep his weight in check.

brasho
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
I think your#1 and #2 have a direct relation to each other and can be pretty much categorized together.

CashmoneyDrew
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
My character concerns led to me going undrafted last year even after I declared early after a bang-up flag season for the ages.

Watch out Jimmy Clausen.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
Brandon Spikes...he has been dropping like a rock for other, more legitimate reasons but I'm still high on him. The eye gouging definitely didn't him any favors.

Xonraider
01-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Brandon Spikes...he has been dropping like a rock for other, more legitimate reasons but I'm still high on him. The eye gouging definitely didn't him any favors.

It rised him in Al Davis' book.

prock
01-22-2010, 02:37 PM
Not sure I would put Spikes in the 'character concern' brackett. Yeah he gouged a guys eyes but it was in the heat of the game and there has been no other problems.

Character concerns are more for people who are

a). lazy, unmotivated etc. How are they going to be motivated in the NFL when they are getting paid a lot of money when they can't be motivated in college.

b). weight, stamina concerns. A lot of players have simply eaten their way out of the league.

c). players who have legal worries be it DUI, drugs, or assault etc.

I actually think the last one is the least serious for an NFL team. Some players in the NFL with one or more of those listed in group C; Jared Allen, James Harrison, Percy Harvin even Calvin Johnson admitted to taking marijuana in college. If they can be surrounded by level headed guys in the lockerroom they can be turned around.

However, if you are unmotivated or undisciplined about your weight there is nothing that can change that. Vernon Gholston got top ten money and should have started under Mangini. When he didn't everyone thought if anyone can get it out of him it will be Rex Ryan. Well, after almost two full season he has still to register a sack.

In regards to Anthony Davis he has been benched a few times and has struggled in the past to keep his weight in check.

doesnt everyone?

and i also agree with the point that lazy players are the worst. i feel as though if someone smokes weed it isnt a big deal. hell, michael phelps does. but a player who is lazy and doesnt try or have a consistent motor is a bad player in my book. for example, i wouldnt touch carlos dunlap until the late second at the earliest. a lazy player is a bad player, just ask jamarcus and vernon.

stephenson86
01-22-2010, 03:41 PM

j russ, gotta love him

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 03:59 PM
doesnt everyone?

and i also agree with the point that lazy players are the worst. i feel as though if someone smokes weed it isnt a big deal. hell, michael phelps does. but a player who is lazy and doesnt try or have a consistent motor is a bad player in my book. for example, i wouldnt touch carlos dunlap until the late second at the earliest. a lazy player is a bad player, just ask jamarcus and vernon.

At OU, we don't have a whole lot of pro athletes, but Detroit Lions DT Landon Cohen has smoked blunts with a couple of my friends both before he was drafted and well after, and he's told them that people don't realize how many current NFL players do. I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd grab some headie nuggets, get an entourage of my friends and some women, and hot box the **** out of my limo, with a few bottles of wine and champagne, bump my music loud, then go to a nice dinner, hell maybe even go to a burger place and drive 3-4 of them in me.

prock
01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
At OU, we don't have a whole lot of pro athletes, but Detroit Lions DT Landon Cohen has smoked blunts with a couple of my friends both before he was drafted and well after, and he's told them that people don't realize how many current NFL players do. I know if I was a professional athlete, I'd grab some headie nuggets, get an entourage of my friends and some women, and hot box the **** out of my limo, with a few bottles of wine and champagne, bump my music loud, then go to a nice dinner, hell maybe even go to a burger place and drive 3-4 of them in me.

amen. one of my buddies who lives in my hall once smoked a couple joints with jeremy roenick, as in the 9-time NHL all star and potential hall of famer. no body gives a **** if you smoke weed, because everyone smokes ******* weed. to me, the biggest character concerns are domestic violence or other major crimes, laziness, and lack of discipline. marijuana is a wash

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 04:07 PM
amen. one of my buddies who lives in my hall once smoked a couple joints with jeremy roenick, as in the 9-time NHL all star and potential hall of famer. no body gives a **** if you smoke weed, because everyone smokes ******* weed. to me, the biggest character concerns are domestic violence or other major crimes, laziness, and lack of discipline. marijuana is a wash

Exactly. If I had people hassling me for autographs everywhere I went, you better believe I'd be hittin the town after few blunts or maybe after an earth-shaking bong... I'd probably turn into more of a sunglasses guy than I am now.

prock
01-22-2010, 04:22 PM
Exactly. If I had people hassling me for autographs everywhere I went, you better believe I'd be hittin the town after few blunts or maybe after an earth-shaking bong... I'd probably turn into more of a sunglasses guy than I am now.

invest in visine. its better than sunglasses lol

ThePudge
01-22-2010, 04:35 PM
invest in visine. its better than sunglasses lol

Psh, when i need to get the job done, nothing does it better than the fresh icy feel of Rohto's. I could do a commercial for that stuff.

wordofi
01-22-2010, 05:26 PM

You answered your own question. They're going to get motivated because they'll get paid millions of dollars for doing well.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 06:09 PM
You answered your own question. They're going to get motivated because they'll get paid millions of dollars for doing well.

Hi my name's Mike Williams, and you will never know if I'm the WR or the OT, but I still support this message BLING BLING MOFO

AntoinCD
01-23-2010, 04:40 AM

They also get millions of dollars for getting drafted. If your a top ten draft pick your set for life just with your first contract. Unless your dumb as hell and blow it all

Knights09
01-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Rutgers fan here. Davis' "character issues" are being severely, and inaccurately, overplayed.

He arrived in camp as a freshman grossly overweight. There's no denying that. He was upwards of 360 pounds when he got here, and you can bet the coaching staff wasn't happy. But he worked his tail off over the summer with our S&C coach, and he got his weight to a manageable number by the start of the season. After the 5th game, he had entrenched himself as the starter at RG. He had no more incidents his freshman year.

In 2008, he reported to camp healthy and in-shape. No weight problems. The only blip on the radar that year was his suspension against Morgan State (Kenny Britt was suspended for that game as well, which is where his "character issues" stemmed from, I guess. I still can't believe Britt received that label. He's one of the nicest guys out there. But I digress.) Nobody knows why he was suspended except for Davis and Coach Schiano. We've heard everything from smoking pot to missing a class. I doubt it was pot, because Schiano doesn't tolerate that in the least. He dismissed a player (and this player would have been a starter, so it wasn't some no-name scrub) this past year for smoking weed, so if Davis was caught with weed, the penalty would have been much more severe than a suspension against a D1AA team. I suppose it could have been handed down for missing a class because that's another no-no under Schiano. Players are required to attend each class and sit in the first 5 rows so the professor knows they are there. I'm not sure if missing class would result in a game suspension under Schiano, but it's definitely possible. Regardless, I don't think missing one class qualifies as a "character issue." The rumor was that the suspension was for something that happened during the previous spring. Personally, that leads me to believe it was something team-related (during spring practice), but it's just speculation on my part. Nobody knows why he was suspended. If it was something really serious, I'm sure it would have leaked to the press somehow.

This past year, Davis had no serious problems. Yes, he reported to camp about 6 or 7 pounds overweight, but that wasn't really his fault. He had an internal eye issue (high pressure within the eye) over the summer that prevented him from lifting weight or working out. Anyone that has had pressure issues with their eyes knows that even the slightest stress can cause some serious pain, as well as potentially serious damage. There's not much Davis could have done to keep his weight down to 325 (his ideal weight). And he got his weight back down to 325 during the first week of summer practice. He was 5 minutes late for a team meeting against Army, so he didn't start. That's the only time he's been late for a meeting.

So, this character issues thing is complete BS. If anything, I would describe it as "commitment issues" since he had his early weight issues and tended to take a few plays off early this year (Cincy game specifically). Character issues implies malicious intent and/or complete disregard for rules and regulations. On that front, Davis has had two incidents (the suspension in 08 and team meeting tardiness in 09) in three years, and we don't even know what the first incident was. Aside from that, Davis is as nice a kid as you'll come across. He does work in the community, has never had legal problems, and has never had academic problems. He's a good kid and certainly shouldn't be labeled as having any character concerns/risks.

Clayton89
01-24-2010, 12:15 AM
Psh, when i need to get the job done, nothing does it better than the fresh icy feel of Rohto's. I could do a commercial for that stuff.

This man knows whats up