PDA

View Full Version : 1/22 - Mock Draft Updated

Scott Wright
01-22-2010, 06:41 AM
I just posted a new mock draft, which is the fourth of the year and the first since the deadline for underclassmen to declare. The next update will likely be in mid-February after all of the all-star games are wrapped up and that should be a two rounder. That's right, two rounds!

You can link to the latest edition via the main page:

2010 Mock Draft - v.5.0
http://www.draftcountdown.com/

As always constructive criticism is not only welcomed but encouraged. However, please be sure to explain the reasoning behind your opinions just like I do in the mock or risk being infracted.

Let's keep this thread fun and informative!

Now... FIRE AWAY! :)

stephenson86
01-22-2010, 06:57 AM
Its official I am in love with you Scott, JPP is my wet dream.

eagles6606
01-22-2010, 07:39 AM
I can understand your logic of giving the Tebow to the Patriots Scott, but I don't agree with it. Tom Brady is still a top 3 QB in this league and I don't envision him going anywhere anytime soon. Kurt Warner and Brett Favre have showed that QBs can play into their late 30s effectively. The reality of the Patriots is that they got blown out in the first round of the playoffs. They obviously aren't in a position to make a luxury pick in the first round. They need to get better on both sides of the ball right now if they want to compete for a 4th Super Bowl.

ndbigdave
01-22-2010, 07:43 AM
Scott,

As a 49ers fan I openly admit the need for some Oline help, however Trent Williams at #13 seems early (especially when he appears to be the 4th best tackle available).

A dream scenario (which plays out in your mock) would be McClain going at #13 and then looking again at BPA at #17.

What do you think?
McClain seems like the type of player who has no business going anywhere but inside the top 10 - but I can dream.

Scott Wright
01-22-2010, 07:46 AM
Scott,

As a 49ers fan I openly admit the need for some Oline help, however Trent Williams at #13 seems early (especially when he appears to be the 4th best tackle available).

A dream scenario (which plays out in your mock) would be McClain going at #13 and then looking again at BPA at #17.

What do you think?
McClain seems like the type of player who has no business going anywhere but inside the top 10 - but I can dream.

That's not too early for Trent Williams. He is a legit Top 15 talent.

Bengals78
01-22-2010, 07:47 AM
I can understand your logic of giving the Tebow to the Patriots Scott, but I don't agree with it. Tom Brady is still a top 3 QB in this league and I don't envision him going anywhere anytime soon. Kurt Warner and Brett Favre have showed that QBs can play into their late 30s effectively. The reality of the Patriots is that they got blown out in the first round of the playoffs. They obviously aren't in a position to make a luxury pick in the first round. They need to get better on both sides of the ball right now if they want to compete for a 4th Super Bowl.

But with 4 picks in the first 53 or so, they can afford to take a pick like Tebow.
And if you read Scott's reasoning, it has little to do with Tebow as a backup to Brady or even as a QB. It is more for the wild-cat because of his running ability ability to kinda throw the ball.

eagles6606
01-22-2010, 07:55 AM
But with 4 picks in the first 53 or so, they can afford to take a pick like Tebow.
And if you read Scott's reasoning, it has little to do with Tebow as a backup to Brady or even as a QB. It is more for the wild-cat because of his running ability ability to kinda throw the ball.

The patriots need to get contributions from those 4 picks to be a superbowl contender. Of course the Tebow pick is about him being a backup and eventually the successor to Brady. You don't take a player 22 overall to run a few gimmick plays a game. And that brings up the question, why would you want to take Tom Brady off the field anyway, even for a play or two. I just couldn't agree with a team taking a player that is years away from even getting an opportunity to win a job, when they have lots of areas they need to improve.

AntoinCD
01-22-2010, 08:24 AM
It's not that I wouldn't want Tebow for the Pats however it is contigent on getting better at rushing the passer. If BB picks up an OLB to rush the passer in free agency or thinks someone like Jerry Hughes will be around the middle of the second then I wouldnt mind it. A second round of Jerry Hughes, Vladimir Ducasse and Arthur Jones would be good after Tebow then

eagles6606
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
whatever the patriots do in this draft, they're likely 3 years off from it making any serious difference. which puts brady at 35 and moss right around 36. they *should* be thinking about how to keep the team as a contender at that point in time, rather than thinking about how to patch what's really a very leaky ship right now.
A
further, it's almost silly to object to the pick on the basis that you think brady will play as long as warner or favre has. there's a reason those guys are notable for their longevity, and it's not because every other great qb lasted that long playing mvp-caliber football.

whenever you have Tom Brady at QB, your not 3 years off. If the Patriots could improve their defense, then they would be right back on the Super Bowl hunt. Maybe it's is not right to compare Brady to Warner and Favre, bit in any case Brady doesn't seem to be going anywhere for the forseable future. It would be silly to draft a first round replacement 4 or more years before they will even get a chance to play.

Grizzlegom
01-22-2010, 08:32 AM
i'd probably cry if miami passed on Rolando McClain but if we took a rush linebacker then i'd hope it was kindle so i like the pick, i'd just prefer McClain cause i feel ILB is a greater need than OLB due to the presence of Porter and Taylor for one more year as well as Cameron Wake where we have nothing inside save for Crowder

dolfan
01-22-2010, 08:48 AM
If dolphins pass on rolando mcclain i would cry!!

eagles6606
01-22-2010, 08:49 AM
You don't take a player 22 overall to run three or four gimmick plays a game

coordinator0
01-22-2010, 08:51 AM
Arrelious Benn eh... Alright, I guess we do need a receiver ;). Good pick, I really can't see us going in any other direction unless some prime talent falls into the early twenties and we move up to get him (ala Oher).

princefielder28
01-22-2010, 09:25 AM
I would hate to see the Packers pass on Iupati and Campbell in favor of Sapp

Halsey
01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
Don't agree with Dunlap to the Falcons. There is a focus on character in the organization, from Arthur Blank down. Also, I've heard Dimitroff say himself that he prefers to Draft college graduates. Also, the pick might not be very popular because many people would think he's Jammal Anderson all over again.

T-RICH49
01-22-2010, 09:31 AM
I'll cry if we pass on McClain for Okung

KaneMarko
01-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Rolando McClain will be the Chiefs' first round pick. Say it with me Scott, "With the 5th pick of the 2010 NFL draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select: Rolando McClain, Linebacker from the University of Alabama". It will be done.

Here's why. Yes, the CHiefs' offensive line looked pretty bad at the beginning of the year. But a huge reason for that is because they switched coordinators DAYS before the start of the season from the Gailey system to the Haley system. It was documented that Gailey's blocking schemes consisted of 4 basic protections where as the Haley scheme numbered a great deal more. And as a result, the offensive line really struggled in the beginning allowing an alarming about of sacks. 2nd have of the season they had cut the sack totals in half compared to the first half. And everyone saw how much the run blocking improved once the Chiefs cut Larry Johnson and went with Jamal Charles full time. Kid had 8 starts and went for over 1100 yards.

So, while the offensive line could use a couple of pieces, it isn't in dire need of it as some would speculate. I don't really see this team going O-Line with the 5th pick. Okung would help. But someone like McClain would help a lot more because we don't have a starting ILB on the roster for our 3-4. And McClain has Pioli written all over him. He's a big, physical ILB whose HC at Bama is from the same Parcell's tree that Scott Pioli, Todd Haley and Romeo Crennel come from. And we've witnessed first hand how members from the Parcell's tree like to stick together. Virtually every part of the Chiefs coaching and front office staff has ties to Parcells.

McClain to KC almost makes too much sense not to happen with the 5th overall pick.

yaga
01-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Brian Price at 20 is a good pick for the Texans. Look for them to look at free safety or RB in round 2.

DiG
01-22-2010, 10:06 AM
I simply dont see what makes Jimmy Clausen a top 10 prospect. The film that Ive seen on him, the games Ive watched, and everything I read about him just shows too many holes that warrant a top 10 pick. Putting aside his obvious attitude issues, he still has shown consistent problems with decision making. He forces throws but doesnt have the arm strength to get away with it. He also takes a ton of sacks and has no mobility which is a huge knock in the Shanahan offense. He also tends to float his deep balls.

Can he make the 5 and 7 step drop throws like the dig route or the deep comeback or the deep out or the skinny post on a dime??? Those throws require alot of ball speed, especially on the run in the bootleg and I would expect it to not even be a question with a top 5 pick.

RealityCheck
01-22-2010, 10:11 AM
Tebow!!! I love you Scott!

jballa838
01-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Its doubtful Pete Carroll drafts an underclassmen quarterback, with all the success rate #'s he always talked about.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 10:27 AM
If that happened to the actual draft on Thursday night when I skipped Bones and Burn Notice shows to watch the draft, I would be furious.

How could a prototypical size of DE fall out of top 5?

Bradford is gone to 6th overall pick? A lot of money to invest in a qb with bad shoulder who played in shotgun formation for most of time. I am not going to bother to think about Pennington because he played 2 full seasons in row. Seahawks are in the rebuilding mode so they will need healthy prospects to play right away. That is only way to develop the team in good cost efficiency.

Bulaga is taken within top 10. Wow. What a luxury for him. He is dealing with fatigue issue (thyroid condition). Too expensive to gamble on this condition.

McClain cant be fallen out of top 10. He is most complete LB package for all spots in 3-4 and 4-3 LB. It is crazy to see teams passed on him for high potential with health issue prospects. Just crazy.

Dunlap and Tebow have no business to be a member of first round class. Dunlap has size and potential but he is no gamer. Is Tebow a fan for being hit hard? He already lost conscious once.

Halsey
01-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Bradford's shoulder injury doesn't seem to be as big a worry as many fans think. I believe it may be a similar injury to the one Drew Brees suffered in his last year with the Chargers. There are numerous teams that passed on trying to sign Brees because of worries over that injury.

Giantsfan1080
01-22-2010, 10:35 AM
McClain to the Giants!!! Please let it happen.

drowe
01-22-2010, 10:39 AM
Regarding the Packers pick..i could see them going in that direction. But, I feel that with that stupid "psycho" defense they run sometimes (1 down lineman) combined with the fact that Clay Matthews is the other OLB, combined with the fact that we have a lot of OLB/DEs that side on OLB, I would think that if they're going to go that route, I would think it'd be a bulkier edge rusher like Everson Griffen.

Hines
01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Love the Steelers pick, Scott. Earl Thomas is number one on my list for 18.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Bradford's shoulder injury doesn't seem to be as big a worry as many fans think. I believe it may be a similar injury to the one Drew Brees suffered in his last year with the Chargers. There are numerous teams that passed on trying to sign Brees because of worries over that injury.

umm.. both have similar injury but will both have similar healing? 6th overall pick is too high to gamble on him. 2nd round is a good price for him.

Halsey
01-22-2010, 10:58 AM
umm.. both have similar injury but will both have similar healing? 6th overall pick is too high to gamble on him. 2nd round is a good price for him.

There are always fans who have a fear of gambling on QB's. There were fans who thought Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez weren't worth first rounders either.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 11:05 AM
There are always fans who have a fear of gambling on QB's. There were fans who thought Matt Ryan and Mark Sanchez weren't worth first rounders either.

Well, I am not one of these fans. lol. Yeah, we wont know what coaches/scouts know about certain prospects. I like Ryan and Sanchez and hell yes, they were worth 1st rounders.

I usually dismiss any qb with arm injury concern for 1st round. Thats me.

prock
01-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Alright Scott, I got some issues with the Vikings pick that I would like you to answer for me. I disagree with defensive tackle being a need, unless we are picking 32nd, in which case Phat Williams retires. If that is the case, then I have no issue taking Dan Williams because I love this guy. That being said, I believe Jimmy Kennedy and/or Fred Evans have played well enough this year in replacement to the point that I believe they will be given a chance to replace Phat. A quarterback would be the ideal pick there, but with none available, I think safety is the best option. Madieu Williams sucks. A lot. Remember when he got trucked by Jay Cutler? He shouldn't be starting next year. So someone like Chad Jones or Nate Allen would be my top options. Another option I am warming up to is Mike Iupati or Vlad Ducasse, preferably Iupati if he is available, because we cannot run block anymore. What do you think?

Scott Wright
01-22-2010, 11:20 AM
Alright Scott, I got some issues with the Vikings pick that I would like you to answer for me. I disagree with defensive tackle being a need, unless we are picking 32nd, in which case Phat Williams retires. If that is the case, then I have no issue taking Dan Williams because I love this guy. That being said, I believe Jimmy Kennedy and/or Fred Evans have played well enough this year in replacement to the point that I believe they will be given a chance to replace Phat. A quarterback would be the ideal pick there, but with none available, I think safety is the best option. Madieu Williams sucks. A lot. Remember when he got trucked by Jay Cutler? He shouldn't be starting next year. So someone like Chad Jones or Nate Allen would be my top options. Another option I am warming up to is Mike Iupati or Vlad Ducasse, preferably Iupati if he is available, because we cannot run block anymore. What do you think?

Well, if I were the Vikings I'd take a quarterback.

However, my projection of a defensive tackle is based on some information from a source.

killxswitch
01-22-2010, 11:21 AM
I just don't think Odrick is the guy for the Colts at #32. Dan Muir and Antonio Johnson have done a good job plugging the middle and protecting the LBs so they can flow to the ball and make the tackle. Fili Moala showed some improvement and I think will be better next year. It would take a rare talent for Polian to take a DT in the 1st (he is on record saying the talent for DT usually isn't there late in the 1st) and I just don't think Odrick is going to measure up to what Polian thinks is required of a DT in the first round, especially when there are going to be decent DTs available all the way through the first 3 rounds this year. The only DTs I would guess he would take that early would be Suh, McCoy, or Price.

I think OL, pass rushing DE, or LB would be more likely. Also, if one of the top 3 safetys fell to their pick I think we'd grab him.

vidae
01-22-2010, 11:22 AM
I agree with what has been said about Okung and KC. The bulk of our offensive line problems are interior (C/G) and taking a tackle that high will hurt more than help.

Our run D has been downright abysmal for years. McClain will be the face of our defense and immediately make an impact. It doesn't help that we have zero starting quality ILBs on this team, period.

McClain should be the pick. We can pick up the best available offensive guard or center prospect in rounds 2 and 3. We can't pick up a player of McClains talent out of the top 10.

Splat
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM
I agree with what has been said about Okung and KC. The bulk of our offensive line problems are interior (C/G) and taking a tackle that high will hurt more than help.

Our run D has been downright abysmal for years. McClain will be the face of our defense and immediately make an impact. It doesn't help that we have zero starting quality ILBs on this team, period.

McClain should be the pick. We can pick up the best available offensive guard or center prospect in rounds 2 and 3. We can't pick up a player of McClains talent out of the top 10.

Pretty much this but people are stilling going to mock us Okung.

KaneMarko
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Pretty much this but people are stilling going to mock us Okung.

And Okung wouldn’t be a bad pick. But I think his impact pales in comparison to the impact McClain would make. Like I said, the Chiefs’ offensive line isn’t as putrid as many people like to perceive. There was significant improvement through the course of the year in both pass protection and run blocking.

We saw this offense get better as the year went on in many facets. The defense never really showed much improvement. From NT, to both ILB spots to both safety spots, this team is very weak. And it’s weak in the spot where you don’t want your defense weak…right up the middle.

To me, McClain makes a lot more sense than Okung.

thebow305
01-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Wow, just wow. This may be the most disappointed I've ever been after reading one of your mocks Scott. Kindle over McClain for the Phins!?

Do you really think that Parcells would do that? McClain is exactly the big, physical, all-around ILB that Parcells covets for the middle of his defense. And although he does also love those pass rushers, I would think, just based on the sheer glut of pass rushers in this draft, compared to the lack of impact ILB's in this draft, Parcells would HAVE to take McClain.

McClain is the IDEAL ILB prospect for the 3-4 and I seriously doubt Parcells would feel the need to take Kindle, when he can possibly get guys like Jerry Hughes, Thad Gibson, Greg Hardy or possibly even Brandon Graham in the 2nd round who may be just as good good as Kindle. I don't think the gap between those guys is as much as say, the difference between guys like McClain, Spikes... and ..... Micah Johnson?

Seriously!? Why Scott Why!???

Defsoul
01-22-2010, 11:46 AM
You really must hate the Patriots Scott, because this team has way to many holes to afford such a luxury pick at #22 (and a QB is definitely one). They desperatly need someone to rush the passer with TBC & Derrick Burgess becoming free agents and Adalius Thomas forcing his way out of New England. They lack a run stuffer next to Jerod Mayo on the inside, they have no clear-cut starter at DE next to Ty Warren and if Bodden leaves, they'll need another talented CB, since Darius Butler seems to be the only young CB you want to start on the outside.

They need to add a true #2 Receiver on offense and an infusion of fresh legs at the running back position. Their offensive line is getting up in age and while they added some young players through last years draft, Sebastian Vollmer is the only one who showed promise so far. Oh, and if they choose not to resign Ben Watson, then they'll need to add a TE too.

The'll probably be able to take care of some of these holes via free agency, but certainly not all of them. So why waste your highest pick on Tebow? He didn't even receive a first round grade in your scouting report, so this would be a hugh reach as well.

B-Dawk
01-22-2010, 11:48 AM
if the giants got mcclain and cowboys got iupati i would be so upset

DeathbyStat
01-22-2010, 11:51 AM
Love the Steelers pick, Scott. Earl Thomas is number one on my list for 18.

I second that man

prock
01-22-2010, 11:53 AM
Well, if I were the Vikings I'd take a quarterback.

However, my projection of a defensive tackle is based on some information from a source.

I accept that then. But what quarterback would you take in the end of the first? I personally am a fan of Colt but I don't think he is a first rounder...

JRTPlaya21
01-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Of course not a huge fan of a quarterback to the Redskins but it is pretty much a lock for most mocks and draft pundits.

derza222
01-22-2010, 12:18 PM
Scott, really liked your explaination for the Jets' pick just as I did last time, and the value is a lot better. Two questions for you though.

One, why do you mention Wootton as a potential 5-tech to take and not Odrick? You have Odrick going a few picks later and he seems like a good fit as a 5-technique too, do you like Wooten more there?

And then the other question I have is whether or not you think RT (Woody struggled quite a bit this year and could be a cap casualty, Ryan loves his ground and pound) or OLB (Thomas is nothing special, Gholston could get cut, there's really not much of a pass rush without blitzing, Pace is the only guy who can really get to the QB on his own, maybe Ellis) would be options if the value matches up.

Also, question unrelated to the mock. You posted something awhile ago basically saying you thought Kerry Rhodes was going to get moved this offseason, possibly to the Browns. Is that still the case, or do you think things are more patched up now as it appears they are in the media?

Brown Leader
01-22-2010, 12:25 PM
I can't remember the last time the Eagles drafted a CB in the 1st round? ..and Holmgrem starting drafting 1st rd CB's [Trufant-Jennings]only after the Seahawks offense was among the leagues best. Eagles always stocked big physical lineman.

With Heckert in charge of the draft and Holmgrem the last word I think they'll concentrate on fixing the offense and let Mangini/Ryan do what they can with the defense. M.Adams[Obviously not on Haden-prospect level but has been valuable to Ryan's scheme] has played CB in the past and could be moved there full time. If J.Harrison is resigned that leaves little option other than Oline/WR.

...obviously i like Davis.:)

yourfavestoner
01-22-2010, 12:27 PM
How does Derrick Morgan compare to current Jags defensive end Derrick Harvey? Seems to me like they're essentially the same player.

Shane P. Hallam
01-22-2010, 12:34 PM
How does Derrick Morgan compare to current Jags defensive end Derrick Harvey? Seems to me like they're essentially the same player.

Morgan is built a bit more than Harvey, who was built solely on speed rushing. Morgan is more versatile and the better prospect IMO.

Brothgar
01-22-2010, 12:40 PM
I simply dont see what makes Jimmy Clausen a top 10 prospect. The film that Ive seen on him, the games Ive watched, and everything I read about him just shows too many holes that warrant a top 10 pick. Putting aside his obvious attitude issues, he still has shown consistent problems with decision making. He forces throws but doesnt have the arm strength to get away with it. He also takes a ton of sacks and has no mobility which is a huge knock in the Shanahan offense. He also tends to float his deep balls.

Can he make the 5 and 7 step drop throws like the dig route or the deep comeback or the deep out or the skinny post on a dime??? Those throws require alot of ball speed, especially on the run in the bootleg and I would expect it to not even be a question with a top 5 pick.

Myself and Dirty 30 are in lock step on this one. Also Shanahan has never really been all about "his guy" and has only drafted one QB in the first round (He was coaching at college ball when Elway was drafted IIRC). Brian Griesie was a second round pick, Jake Plummer was a FA only his last QB Jake Cutler is the only first round QB that Shanahan ever drafted. Where as durring Shanahan's reign he has slected 3 OTs and numerous DBs as first round players.

zachsaints52
01-22-2010, 12:50 PM
If the Saints pick a CB or WR or a freaking TE will kick a puppy.

Todd Bertuzzi
01-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Love the Eagles pick. The Giants pick, not so much.

brasho
01-22-2010, 01:00 PM
Why am I the only one that seems to think that Eric Berry is the draft's biggest hype? A safety top 5 is a rarity, a safety that is probably 5'10 and under 200 lbs that completely disappeared for the Vols biggest game of the year is ridiculous. Eric Berry was nowhere to be found when VTech was rolling up 37 points against Berry's defense.

The Bucs need DL help and drafting an undersized safety with a penchant for disappearing in big games is probably not going to solve the team's defensive woes.

I also don't see them picking up Morgan, who amassed decent stats in college but otherwise did very little to help one of the ACC's worst defenses (especially against the run)...

I think if Suh and McCoy are goine they trade down a bit and pick up Price (who absolutely dominated in year 3) who probably has a greater upside than either Suh (who absolutely dominated in year 5) or McCoy (who dominated in year 4).

Splat
01-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Even if the Chiefs pass on Rolando McClain I don't see both Miami and Denver passing on him.

Scotty D
01-22-2010, 01:08 PM
Scott...Rams aren't suppose to take Suh! :(

McCoy is a beast though so its ok.

zachsaints52
01-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Why am I the only one that seems to think that Eric Berry is the draft's biggest hype? A safety top 5 is a rarity, a safety that is probably 5'10 and under 200 lbs that completely disappeared for the Vols biggest game of the year is ridiculous. Eric Berry was nowhere to be found when VTech was rolling up 37 points against Berry's defense.

The Bucs need DL help and drafting an undersized safety with a penchant for disappearing in big games is probably not going to solve the team's defensive woes.

So was Florida vs. UT a big game this year? When Berry had 11 tackles and a INT?

Bengals78
01-22-2010, 01:13 PM
So was Florida vs. UT a big game this year? When Berry had 11 tackles and a INT?

Irrelevant lol

zachsaints52
01-22-2010, 01:21 PM
Irrelevant lol

How is it irrelevant? The dude said he doesn't show up in the big games (meaning more then one) And isn't playing the #1 team a "big game"?

Bengals78
01-22-2010, 01:21 PM
How is it irrelevant? The dude said he doesn't show up in the big games (meaning more then one) And isn't playing the #1 team a "big game"?

That was sarcasm

zachsaints52
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
That was sarcasm

haha My b :P

CashmoneyDrew
01-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Eric Berry not showing up in big games. lulz

Anyways, JPP to the Titans scares me. The guy just screams bust. I'm starting to hope we just trade down and pick up a 2nd rounder or two. Either that, or Sean Weatherspoon would be nice.

Bengals78
01-22-2010, 01:25 PM
haha My b :P

Ha, it happens so much on here, internet and sarcasm dont mix well.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Jahvid Best nooooo

Best/Sproles...the 'don't even bother covering the middle of the field' running back duo.

Babylon
01-22-2010, 01:36 PM
Seattle

Can't complain about the mock overrall and i like the Taylor Mays pick. I'm not a big fan of a QB this year for the Hawks (bigger needs) and i'm not a big fan of Bradford so that to me is not a good choice there. I'm probably too much of a Jake Locker homer to think rationally on that subject but if it has to be a QB i'd prefer Clausen or trade down and dare i say draft Tim Tebow.

Paul
01-22-2010, 01:41 PM
No problem with Iupati pick at all.

RaiderNation
01-22-2010, 02:18 PM
Anthony Davis to Oakland= Perfect

We are switching to a power running offence and with his size and athleticism he will be the perfect fit.

prock
01-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Myself and Dirty 30 are in lock step on this one. Also Shanahan has never really been all about "his guy" and has only drafted one QB in the first round (He was coaching at college ball when Elway was drafted IIRC). Brian Griesie was a second round pick, Jake Plummer was a FA only his last QB Jake Cutler is the only first round QB that Shanahan ever drafted. Where as durring Shanahan's reign he has slected 3 OTs and numerous DBs as first round players.

well when shannahan was looking for a new quarterback in years past, he was never in a position where he could draft a franchise quarterback except when he took cutler. the broncos never had a top 5 pick when shany coached them, so they werent in the same position as he is going to be drafting now. i am in the camp that thinks he is going to try and find his guy.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 02:54 PM
well when shannahan was looking for a new quarterback in years past, he was never in a position where he could draft a franchise quarterback except when he took cutler. the broncos never had a top 5 pick when shany coached them, so they werent in the same position as he is going to be drafting now. i am in the camp that thinks he is going to try and find his guy.

Broncos traded up for Cutler. Shanny did not need a qb in the first round because of Elway and Plummer adding to your reasonings for Broncos being not top 5 pick.

He should go after Claussen in the first round. If no Claussen then Levi Brown in 2nd round.

Brothgar
01-22-2010, 03:04 PM
Broncos traded up for Cutler. Shanny did not need a qb in the first round because of Elway and Plummer adding to your reasonings for Broncos being not top 5 pick.

He should go after Claussen in the first round. If no Claussen then Levi Brown in 2nd round.

I mean yeah Elway is obvious but the other QBs just add to my point. Plummer was an Arizona reject when picked up in FA by the Broncos. As I said Griese was a 2nd round pick and he's shown that he will go up and grab "his guy" if he is there but he never has forced the issue in the past.

TheSlinger
01-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Anything but Tebow to the Jags seems acceptable to me at this point :). Morgan might be the best choice but it would be tough to pass up on Price, Spiller or McClain.

prock
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
I mean yeah Elway is obvious but the other QBs just add to my point. Plummer was an Arizona reject when picked up in FA by the Broncos. As I said Griese was a 2nd round pick and he's shown that he will go up and grab "his guy" if he is there but he never has forced the issue in the past.

but luckily for him, he has the fourth pick, so he wont have to force any issues.

gpngc
01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
Seattle

Can't complain about the mock overrall and i like the Taylor Mays pick. I'm not a big fan of a QB this year for the Hawks (bigger needs) and i'm not a big fan of Bradford so that to me is not a good choice there. I'm probably too much of a Jake Locker homer to think rationally on that subject but if it has to be a QB i'd prefer Clausen or trade down and dare i say draft Tim Tebow.

Proof of bold= "(bigger needs)"

No such thing. They need a QB and QB is the most important position in the sport.

Bradford would be a great pick at 6 IMO.

Taylor Mays screams Aaron Curry to me which is why I don't think the new regime will make that mistake again (safe player who will be a solid pro, but won't make much of an impact on a team desperate for impact players, playmakers, and difference-makers at the POA on both lines).

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 03:25 PM
but luckily for him, he has the fourth pick, so he wont have to force any issues.

Not so fast. Rams could take Claussen. lol.

jayceheathman
01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
I want Arrelious Benn to the Texans. If Andre Johnson can lead the league 2 years in a row while constantly being double teamed then I wonder what he could do with another WR.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 03:27 PM

Yeah, he was vet qb first coach. Cutler was his first born qb.

prock
01-22-2010, 03:35 PM
Not so fast. Rams could take Claussen. lol.

thats true. i actually think the rams should take claussen, but not many people agree with me.

DiG
01-22-2010, 03:45 PM

taking a qb at 4 that isnt truly a great fit in the offense and doesnt have elite tangibles is forcing it. just because its the 4th pick doesnt mean its not a forced pick...

ToldLikeItIs
01-22-2010, 03:48 PM
Scott, Question..

Is Bryan Bulaga's ranking subject to change? Could you see him passing Okung or Davis? How would it happen?

Thanks

prock
01-22-2010, 03:51 PM
taking a qb at 4 that isnt truly a great fit in the offense and doesnt have elite tangibles is forcing it. just because its the 4th pick doesnt mean its not a forced pick...

meh, thats true. but stranger things have happened.

Caddy
01-22-2010, 03:53 PM
As much as I love Berry, I really hope that the Rams take a QB #1 overall.

Babylon
01-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Scott, Question..

Is Bryan Bulaga's ranking subject to change? Could you see him passing Okung or Davis? How would it happen?

Thanks

I think the rankings for the top 3 or 4 tackles is yet to be determined.

keylime_5
01-22-2010, 04:15 PM
mock looks good. now let the predraft workouts/allstar games begin to throw a wrench into all of our perceptions of where the prospects will go.

brat316
01-22-2010, 04:18 PM
This draft sucks, I think its bad as what year was it 05?

JRTPlaya21
01-22-2010, 05:02 PM
I like this draft a whole lot more then 05.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 05:03 PM
please stop discussing this like you have any vague clue what you're talking about.

brian griese was drafted by denver, sucked in denver, and was eventually replaced by a free agent because we weren't drafting in a position to get someone better (or, really, even to trade up). beyond that, shanny has a fetish for crappy defensive backs with "return skills".

Broncos signed Plummer before they had few chances to land a franchise qb (4 qbs gone in 1st round) in 2003. They were stupid enough to pass on Pennington in 2000.

Shanny did try former 3rd rounder qb to take over Elway's job. He had been so so.

Shanny struggled to find a CB via draft as a result he ended up acquiring Bailey.

What did I miss?

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 05:04 PM
I like this draft a whole lot more then 05.

Hopefully, this upcoming combine tells a whole new story.

CC.SD
01-22-2010, 05:07 PM
05 isn't qualified to wipe this draft's ass.

wicket
01-22-2010, 05:09 PM
If the Saints pick a CB or WR or a freaking TE will kick a puppy.

I was thinking about punching babies but the concept remains the same. I do not get the pick, there are a TON of bigger needs for the saints, really just flat out dont get it. You dont spend a first round pick on someone who could quite possibly be cut before the season due to the depth at the position.

PhinsRock
01-22-2010, 05:43 PM
The only thing I have with it is Miami going for a smaller OLB, and passing up on Rolando McClain. If anything, Parcells and Ireland will draft him because they wish to live...

I don't think Miami passes him up.

MattyFos
01-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Scott- I'm liking the Haden pick.. If the Jets can be successful with the Sanchize and a good D and running game, so can the Browns.. Solidifying our corners will go a lot further than drafting safety this high.

nofalcons10
01-22-2010, 06:46 PM
http://anotherbeautifulday.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/tcody.jpg

to saints.

that is all.

YotoJets007
01-22-2010, 07:45 PM
this is demonstrably incorrect. further, i don't buy for a second that he was a "veteran qb guy" as you stated. the fact that, for the early part of his career, he had elway means he never needed to go out and draft a number one overall qb (even though dan reeves DID). he then drafted griese, who took over for elway. i'll give you a hint: griese was not a veteran when we drafted him and groomed him as eventual starter. griese turned out to clearly not be the answer, and given shanny's hard on for garbage dbs who could return kicks, we didn't really have anyone ready. so he signed jake plummer. jake plummer sucked his way through three-ish seasons before we were once again in position to actually get a guy who could be the franchise qb. which shanny did, immediately. then he BENCHED his "veteran qb" for a rookie.

but let's keep playing this game.

oh that his first born qb. Cutler was indeed his first born qb. Griese was not. It does not mean qb draftee to be a starter. That means his qb draftee that is/will be a success.

Thumper
01-23-2010, 01:52 AM
Eh... I dislike this one Scott.

First the Eagles don't need another WLB they've got 3 on the roster already and none will be gone next year and the Eagles never draft linebackers high and Weatherspoon is a terrible fit at SLB which is where the Eagles need a LB. And I hate the wording of the last sentence, I'm not sure if it is intentional but you make it seem as if the Eagles are looking to upgrade Trent Cole when what they're actually trying to upgrade Jaqua Parker and Victor Abiamiri.

bergo23
01-23-2010, 09:23 AM
Jahvid Best nooooo

Best/Sproles...the 'don't even bother covering the middle of the field' running back duo.

Scott,

With all due respect I know Best is ranked about where you put him, and if the two teams above us to take Oline....Jonathon Dwyer is MUCH more likely to be the pick and here is why: Sproles will be a Charger in 2010.....we don't need another player like him. You could see AJ's desire for a bigger bruising Shon Greene type back with Gartrell Johnson last year. Strongly consider Dwyer if no Oline are available AJ likes.

Sincerely,

Bolt Nation

Nalej
01-23-2010, 09:42 AM
It's not that I wouldn't want Tebow for the Pats however it is contigent on getting better at rushing the passer. If BB picks up an OLB to rush the passer in free agency or thinks someone like Jerry Hughes will be around the middle of the second then I wouldnt mind it. A second round of Jerry Hughes, Vladimir Ducasse and Arthur Jones would be good after Tebow then

I agree with the exception that there is no scenerio where the Pats should take Tebow in the 1st.
The 2nd? Sure. Just 'cause we have 4 picks in the 1st two rounds doesn't mean we gamble with our first pick
How 'bout we gamble with the 4th one???? After we address our needs first

NGSeiler
01-23-2010, 09:51 AM
Scott...Rams aren't suppose to take Suh! :(

Yes, yes they are.

Love the Rams pick! :D

holt_bruce81
01-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Love the Rams pick as well. It's Suh or Bradford for me, I think Clausen is overrated, might just be my hatred for him and Notre Dame getting in the way.

Just Wondering, whens the first 2-round mock coming out? Is that after the Combine? I can't really remember.

Texas Homer
01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I know the Texans need help at DT and the Price pick does make sense, but if I'm the Texans then I'd be tempted to take the OL from Idaho at that spot as well.

I really hope the Texans resign CB Dunta Robinson, but if they don't the Texans might be looking CB at that spot in the 1st as well(Maybe Patrick Robinson).

I like the Mock. Slightly off topic, but I'd like S Chad Jones LSU for the Texans in the 2nd round if he is available there.

LonghornsLegend
01-23-2010, 10:04 PM
Scott knows what's up this year for Dallas, right now I have our first rounder down to Iupati and Donovon Warren and I really think both are great picks, and that Iupati will take over at LG immediately and be a pro bowl type player, awesome pick.

RaidersInYoFace
01-24-2010, 10:32 AM
Scott,

The Raiders are very happy with their 2nd rd pick 2 years ago in Mario Henderson from FSU. Henderson is one of the most underated LT's in the NFL. Raiders have needs at RG and RT. I dont see the Raiders justifying picking an OT at #8 when they have said on numerous occasions they are very pleased with Mario Henderson, and rightfully so- he's very solid and gets overlooked as one of the better young LT's in the NFL.

With Greg Ellis on the wrong side of 30, Derrick Morgan makes the most sense for Oakland. With the Raiders bringing back DL coach Waufle, and his style of defense. Derrick Morgan would allow the Raiders to become very creative in moving Seymour inside on some plays. Seymour and Morgan as edge rushers on passing downs is a very good combo.

With 53 underclassmen declaring this year, Rd's 2 and 3 are good value to select RT's and guards.

I wouldnt be surprised to see the Raiders take Florida C/G M. Pouncy with their 1st pick in rd 2 and picking up a RT with one of their 2 3rd rd picks. Although the idea of moving Henderson to RT and plugging Davis at LT is appealing, I just dont see that happening.

Flyboy
01-24-2010, 12:16 PM
A cornerback for the Saints, Scott?

Ehhhh... I'd say that that is one of the least concerns we have on defense.

sup3rdup3r
01-24-2010, 02:36 PM
49ers wouldn't pass on McClain if he's there. Just because we have Willis doesn't mean the front office still doesn't want somebody else to pair up with him. They would have taken Maualuga last year but the Bengals took him a few picks before us.

fatmosh
01-25-2010, 08:49 AM
With the Bucs obviously needing a DT and the Rams obviously needing a QB, what do you think the chances are that the Bucs trade up to #1 to get Suh?

Could they convince the Rams to take one of their 2nd rounders and move down two picks? The Rams would still be assured of getting their #1 QB, would save a little money on him, plus pick up a 2nd rounder. Whatcha think?

2KD@VIS
01-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Don't agree with Dunlap to the Falcons. There is a focus on character in the organization, from Arthur Blank down. Also, I've heard Dimitroff say himself that he prefers to Draft college graduates. Also, the pick might not be very popular because many people would think he's Jammal Anderson all over again.

i definately agree, i rather us trade down to the 2nd rd, draft p.cox and pick up an extra 3rd

Shane P. Hallam
01-25-2010, 04:09 PM
With the Bucs obviously needing a DT and the Rams obviously needing a QB, what do you think the chances are that the Bucs trade up to #1 to get Suh?

Could they convince the Rams to take one of their 2nd rounders and move down two picks? The Rams would still be assured of getting their #1 QB, would save a little money on him, plus pick up a 2nd rounder. Whatcha think?

I think the Bucs may even like McCoy as much (if not more,) than Suh. Still would need #1 to get him if the Rams will take Suh.

PossibleCabbage
01-25-2010, 07:18 PM
I'm not sure I'm buying the Packers pick. As I see it, their biggest needs to address in the early rounds are LT and LOLB. Looking at the way the board landed at 23, I think it's a lot more likely that the Packers get a serviceable pass rusher with their 2nd round pick than a serviceable LT. Guys like Jerry Hughes and Brandon Graham may be available in the mid second, which would allow a team to trade up for them without necessarily crossing a tier.

With the board as it is at 23 the way Scott sees it, I'd think that Bruce Campbell would be the pick. His major concern is durability, and Packers GM Ted Thompson has shown that he's not really scared off by guys with injury concerns. Plus, Thompson has definitely shown himself to be a guy who picks guys who are top-flight athletes in categories of specific importance to position.

Timbathia
01-25-2010, 09:44 PM
With all due respect Scott, none of us in the Broncos team forum are happy with the Dez Bryant pick. We dont feel that taking a receiver that high is necessary at this stage in the teams development (even if Marshall leaves), and would prefer a difference maker on defense (i.e. McClain), or an o-lineman (despite it being a bit of a reach at 11 - however McDaniels sure likes reaching for guys he wants).

Interested to know if you are making the pick based on what you think makes the most sense, or because you are trying to read McDaniels mind, or because you have heard a whisper?

okay123
01-25-2010, 10:01 PM
Scott, really liked your explaination for the Jets' pick just as I did last time, and the value is a lot better. Two questions for you though.

One, why do you mention Wootton as a potential 5-tech to take and not Odrick? You have Odrick going a few picks later and he seems like a good fit as a 5-technique too, do you like Wooten more there?

And then the other question I have is whether or not you think RT (Woody struggled quite a bit this year and could be a cap casualty, Ryan loves his ground and pound) or OLB (Thomas is nothing special, Gholston could get cut, there's really not much of a pass rush without blitzing, Pace is the only guy who can really get to the QB on his own, maybe Ellis) would be options if the value matches up.

Also, question unrelated to the mock. You posted something awhile ago basically saying you thought Kerry Rhodes was going to get moved this offseason, possibly to the Browns. Is that still the case, or do you think things are more patched up now as it appears they are in the media?

I disagree for the Jets. I can't justify taking a slot receiver like Tate with our 1st round pick when this team is built around defense and the running game.

Rex has already said the Jets are retaining Edwards for next year, so our WRs will be Edwards and Cotchery. Not to mention, Keller is a good receiving threat who can come out of the slot, and Leon will be back as an option out of the backfield.

I wouldn't hate taking Tate, but i would rather take Odrick at that spot. Ellis and Douglas are both over 30, and although DeVito has shown he can provide depth, I think we need one other person to come off the bench for a year and who will be able to replace either Ellis or Douglas in a couple of years.

However, the person I would like most to take there would be Graham. Pace is the only person that can get to the QB on his own right now. Bryan Thomas is adequate all around, but I think taking someone like Graham to help take the focus off of Pace would do wonders for this defense.

You could also make the argument for BPA at the CB position, as it seems we have lost faith in Shepphard, which would leave a gaping hole at #2 CB.

Same can be said for Rhodes, who might be traded this offseason as well.

I just think our defense needs more help than our offense right now.

MaddHatter
02-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Scott,

I'm not sure how much you pay attention to Dallas, but in 50 years as a Franchise, the Cowboys have only once taken an Offensive Lineman in the 1st round... it was 25+ years ago and we've never done it with Jerry Jones at the helm. Why? Because we draft them late and groom them up - look at Doug Free -5th round pick who is now slated to be our franchise LT in a year or less after Adams retires. He matched up against hte best DE in the game (Jared Allen) and gave up 0 sacks and 0 TFL's through 2.5+ quarters despite Dallas trailing and throwing the ball often. It's just how we are as a team - Mike Johnson, DuCasse, etc in the later rounds make a lot more sense for Dallas than Iupati in the 1st.

Am I saying I wouldn't love Iupati in Dallas? Of course not - but I'm a realist and I understand how Jerry operates. The most likely scenarios are he takes a CB, WR, 5-tech DE or he trades down. Maybe you don't care about realism though and just like throwing players around and hoping they stick - just thought I'd help you out with your next mock.