PDA

View Full Version : Draft Random Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2

MetSox17
01-24-2010, 01:17 PM
Just talk about different things relating to the draft here that you don't feel need a thread of it's own.

Now, on to my first thought.

Did anyone else just find out the draft is gonna be spread over three days this year like i just did? And it's not even gonna be on Sunday anymore! WTF?!

TACKLE
03-01-2010, 11:11 PM
Thought this was a pretty cool picture.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1003/nfl.combine.2010.si.photos/images/ndamukong-suh-gerald-mccoy.jpg

superman
03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
seems like they're all wearing those bracelets with the little circle curve in them. what are they?

CC.SD
03-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Just talk about different things relating to the draft here that you don't feel need a thread of it's own.

Now, on to my first thought.

Did anyone else just find out the draft is gonna be spread over three days this year like i just did? And it's not even gonna be on Sunday anymore! WTF?!

The scheduling is totally lame. The LA Times festival of books is an event I have worked forever and it coincides with draft day, so normally I'll be getting picks throughout the day to keep me going. But now it's prime time, and spread out, and blargh.

holt_bruce81
03-01-2010, 11:31 PM
3 days, it's going to be tough to ask off for 3 days in a row. Anyone have a good excuse? I mean "I want to watch the nfl draft for 30 hours" may not fly by.

SenorGato
03-01-2010, 11:40 PM
There's alot more bs about players nowadays. It's weird, and focuses too much on what young, mostly raw players don't do right. After a while that doesn't work, because most guys don't have well rounded games in some way, shape, or form.

Injury tagged players well fall. I think there's an outside shot Bradford falls out of the top 20, and he's actually one of my sleeper picks for the Patriots. He'd obviously be groomed behind Brady, who'll move on to Hollywood in 3-4 years. Greg Hardy, Corey Wootton, and Vince Oghobaase are guys who'll have better pro careers than they did senior years/offseasons.

After Berry and Haden, there's 8 guys at CB who can be ranked as the 3rd best. 7, because Brandon Ghee no longer fits. I'd rank Robinson, Warren, Cox, Wilson, Franks, Jackson, and McCourty as guys who can legitimately be the 3rd corner.

critesy
03-01-2010, 11:45 PM
whats the time set for the thursday and friday

(too lazy to look)

holt_bruce81
03-01-2010, 11:49 PM
whats the time set for the thursday and friday

(too lazy to look)

thurs. 7:30 et, friday 6:30 et, saturday 10 a.m et

gpngc
03-01-2010, 11:51 PM
Craziest position in the draft this year: CB.

You can ask ten different people to give you top tens and they'll give you ten extremely different-looking top tens. The only consensus seems to be Haden as the top guy.

I have no idea how many are going to go in the first round- and no clue who the top five off the board are going to be after Haden. There are a lot of polarized prospects at CB this year.

Mr.Regular
03-01-2010, 11:56 PM
Craziest position in the draft this year: CB.

You can ask ten different people to give you top tens and they'll give you ten extremely different-looking top tens. The only consensus seems to be Haden as the top guy.

I have no idea how many are going to go in the first round- and no clue who the top five off the board are going to be after Haden. There are a lot of polarized prospects at CB this year.
Agreed. Look at Scott's top ten for example. After Haden you could mix those otehr 9 guys up in all sorts of ways and the list would look legit.

critesy
03-02-2010, 12:03 AM
thurs. 7:30 et, friday 6:30 et, saturday 10 a.m et

shibbbbbby, dont have to miss any work. +rep

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
There's alot more bs about players nowadays. It's weird, and focuses too much on what young, mostly raw players don't do right. After a while that doesn't work, because most guys don't have well rounded games in some way, shape, or form.

Injury tagged players well fall. I think there's an outside shot Bradford falls out of the top 20, and he's actually one of my sleeper picks for the Patriots. He'd obviously be groomed behind Brady, who'll move on to Hollywood in 3-4 years.

I'd be surprised if he got out of the Top 4.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 12:36 AM

I agree. Bradford likely won't fall out of the Top 5, most likely 1st Overall.

Texas Homer
03-02-2010, 12:52 AM
I wonder if Berry starts to slide at all(which I doubt), if the Texans might consider trading up for him.

I think both Dunlap and Spikes are better than they are getting credit for right now.

I wouldn't mind if the Redskins, 49's,Seahawks, Viking or Colts took Colt McCoy.

I think Tim Tebow can make it in the NFL as a starting QB.

SenorGato
03-02-2010, 12:53 AM

I have the top 10 picks going:

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Bryant
4. Okung
5. McClain
6. Clausen
7. Berry
8. Davis
9. Bradford
10. Cody

Suh because he's the best player and the Rams aren't trying to be stupid. McCoy because they don't need a QB or Bryant, but they do need a DT. Bryant because they have nothing on offense after their OL and Freeman. Okung because Samuels is done and Campbell can be worked with. McClain because there's not really any other choice. Clausen because Hasselbeck is done. Berry because he's a safety so he won't go top 3, and he fits perfectly. Davis because the Raiders OL sucks and he's the high upside junior. Bradford to the Bills because there's no on else to take, and they'll hope for OL later. Cody because Henderson is getting up there and they can groom him behind Henderson for the first two years...then pair him with Knighton to get that D back up again.

Mr.Regular
03-02-2010, 12:59 AM
My loose top 10 is:
1) Suh-Super prospect. Could take a QB over him but both have major question marks.
2) McCoy- BPA and fills need.
3) Pierre-Paul- rumour is the Bucs like him, even at 3
4) Bradford- rumour is they like Bradford over Clausen...and new coaching staff wants their own QB...plus Washington loves making a splash so QB>LT
5) Berry- Great fit for KC. Okung is an option but Albert was better then given credit for, and McClain would be a reach.
6) Clausen- New regime=new Qb
7) Haden- seems like consensus right now
8) Campbell- ya, even over Okung..... remember DHB over Crabtree?
9) Okung- steal!
10) Morgan- tough pick to place, put fits needs, fairly good value.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 01:15 AM
I have the top 10 picks going:

1. Suh
2. McCoy
3. Bryant
4. Okung
5. McClain
6. Clausen
7. Berry
8. Davis
9. Bradford
10. Cody

Suh because he's the best player and the Rams aren't trying to be stupid.

You say that like it's a fact. I would imagine the team wouldn't want to be stupid and would stop putting off the need for a Franchise Quarterback. He may not look like a franchise passer to you, but they're the ones making the decision and he's going to look a lot better from their perspective. Also, I'd imagine the Top 2 players on their board (so the "best players") will be Sam Bradford and Gerald McCoy based on their needs and current scheme.

SenorGato
03-02-2010, 01:20 AM
The Bucs want Adams 2.0?

The Skins going QB would change my draft significantly, BUT I think their want of QB tends to get overplayed. Their OL is old and not passable for a really young QB.

Berry at 5 would be as much a reach as McClain at 5...both are potential franchise players at their positions but MLB/ILB and S are MLB/ILB and S. Again, either one could go, and the one that doesn't goes 7 (IMO). Haden always being at 7 screams smokescreen to me...I think Haden goes 11 to Denver or 13 to San Fransisco.

You say that like it's a fact.

Suh's not the best player and the Rams are trying to be stupid?

I would imagine the team wouldn't want to be stupid and would stop putting off the need for a Franchise Quarterback.
He may not look like a franchise passer to you, but they're the ones making the decision and he's going to look a lot better from their perspective. Also, I'd imagine the Top 2 players on their board (so the "best players") will be Sam Bradford and Gerald McCoy based on their needs and current scheme.

1. Where'd I say he...I assume Bradford...isn't a franchise type passer?

2. DT is also a big need on their DL, and Suh fits any scheme. Imagine that?

3. Didn't you just get mad at me for sounding like my opinion was fact?

4. It's entirely possible they take a QB.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 01:25 AM
1. Bradford - can't continue to put off getting a Franchise QB and there's no reason to believe that Bradford can't be that guy.

2. Suh - easy

3. McCoy - easy

4. Okung - Maybe Clausen but have a feeling they stick with Campbell

5. Bryant - Could go O-Line but go with value pick

6. Clausen - Get their QB of the future

7. Berry - need and value matchup here.

8. JPP - ^^^^

9. Bulaga - Bills always go with BPA at biggest position of need. Think Bulaga will end up being that guy.

10. Kindle - Little bit trickier but the Jags need a pass rusher badly. Kindle's versatility is a big plus and I expect his stock to continue to rise.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 01:34 AM
Suh's not the best player and the Rams are trying to be stupid?

1. Where'd I say he...I assume Bradford...isn't a franchise type passer?

2. DT is also a big need on their DL, and Suh fits any scheme. Imagine that?

3. Didn't you just get mad at me for sounding like my opinion was fact?

4. It's entirely possible they take a QB.

Suh is more than likely not the top player on the Rams board. McCoy fits the bill of a pass-rushing, penetrating UT which is what the team needs and is equal as a prospect to Suh. It would be stupid to pass on a Quarterback. Not mad at all, just hard to have a smiling friendly conversation on the internet about a disagreement. I do get a bit impatient when people assume that if Ndamukong Suh is the top player in their minds than it will be that way in the minds of the Rams GM and coaches. I don't have proof (no one does) but it's my best guess that Sam Bradford & Gerald McCoy are the two highest rated players on the St. Louis board and the decision at #1 will come down to the two of them... with the Quarterback being the more likely option in the end. And if you've followed any of my posts in the past month or so you'd know I've put a great amount of thought into that.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 01:40 AM
For a Top 10 Mock Draft at this point...

1. Rams - Sam Bradford - QB - Oklahoma
2. Lions - Ndamukong Suh - DT - Nebraska
3. Buccaneers - Gerald McCoy - DT - Oklahoma
4. Redskins - Russell Okung - OT - Oklahoma State
5. Chiefs - Anthony Davis - OT - Rutgers
6. Seahawks - Jimmy Clausen - QB - Notre Dame
7. Browns - Eric Berry - DB - Tennessee
8. Raiders - Jason Pierre-Paul - DE - South Florida
9. Bills - Bruce Campbell - OT - Maryland
10. Jaguars - Dez Bryant - WR - Oklahoma State

The Chiefs at 5 probably gave me the toughest time because Anthony Davis/Dez Bryant aren't your typical blue-collar Scott Pioli guys. I settled on OT as I think Kansas City still is in a bit of a re-building phase and the OL will be the top priority along with the interior defense.

Stranger
03-02-2010, 02:46 AM

The Chiefs at 5 probably gave me the toughest time because Anthony Davis/Dez Bryant aren't your typical blue-collar Scott Pioli guys. I settled on OT as I think Kansas City still is in a bit of a re-building phase and the OL will be the top priority along with the interior defense.

Whenever I have played around with a mock I get the feeling that the Bills should trade up from 9 to snatch a QB before Seattle.

vidae
03-02-2010, 02:47 AM
First, my man crush for Rolando McClain has cooled a bit.. every day we get closer to the draft is a day where it seems less likely he's the pick, but I still don't want an OT 5th overall. I'd love Berry or Bryant there, but none of these OTs scream franchise LT to me.

Also, I read somewhere that the NFL is considering inviting players to not only the first round like normal, but the second day as well.. some players that might be going in rounds 2/3. What do you guys think about it? I think it's a bit unnecessary personally, but I'm not really AGAINST it.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 02:54 AM
Whenever I have played around with a mock I get the feeling that the Bills should trade up from 9 to snatch a QB before Seattle.

I think the two most connected picks in the Top 10 (outside of 1 & 3) is the connection between Washington at 4 and Seattle at 6. Both teams will more than likely look offense where they must determine next whether to set their sights on improving their passing game or running game. There are passers (Clausen), run-blocking OTs (Anthony Davis), and pass-blocking OTs (Russell Okung) involved and both teams need to add a Quarterback, Offensive Tackle, and Running Back early.

TheSlinger
03-02-2010, 03:04 AM
Also, I read somewhere that the NFL is considering inviting players to not only the first round like normal, but the second day as well.. some players that might be going in rounds 2/3. What do you guys think about it? I think it's a bit unnecessary personally, but I'm not really AGAINST it.

I'm against it this year because it's just another excuse to get Tebow some airtime.

Stranger
03-02-2010, 03:13 AM
I think the two most connected picks in the Top 10 (outside of 1 & 3) is the connection between Washington at 4 and Seattle at 6. Both teams will more than likely look offense where they must determine next whether to set their sights on improving their passing game or running game. There are passers (Clausen), run-blocking OTs (Anthony Davis), and pass-blocking OTs (Russell Okung) involved and both teams need to add a Quarterback, Offensive Tackle, and Running Back early.

If the top two QBs are gone I wouldn't be suprised if Seattle gambled on one of the DEs at 6. There should still be decent OT talent left at 14 and it's possibly Spiller lasts until then as well, but I am high on Forsett and think they will look for a bigger back to pair with him.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 03:23 AM

I'm not liking this pick. Sure Bruce Campbell has elevated his stock but I am still very weary of his standing in the top half of the first round. I don't like Bruce Campbell as a player at all but I realize how I feel has no impact on where he will be drafted. I do think he raised his stock that much with his combine. His late first standing was pending an exceptional workout. He had the kind of workout people expected. Maybe I'm way off on this but I still do not expect Bruce Campbell to go in the first round. He's done nothing on the field to warrant being selected. There were reports that some teams had him ranked as a 4th round prospect. Teams are going to be intrigued by his upside but I don't think Buffalo can afford to take a project player in the top ten. They need a LT who can come in and start from day one. The Bills are usually quite conservative on draft day and I would be shocked if they took a huge risk by taking Campbell at #9.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 03:27 AM
I'm not liking this pick. Sure Bruce Campbell has elevated his stock but I am still very weary of his standing in the top half of the first round. I don't like Bruce Campbell as a player at all but I realize how I feel has no impact on where he will be drafted. I do think he raised his stock that much with his combine. His late first standing was pending an exceptional workout. He had the kind of workout people expected. Maybe I'm way off on this but I still do not expect Bruce Campbell to go in the first round. He's done nothing on the field to warrant being selected. There were reports that some teams had him ranked as a 4th round prospect. Teams are going to be intrigued by his upside but I don't think Buffalo can afford to take a project player in the top ten. They need a LT who can come in and start from day one. The Bills are usually quite conservative on draft day and I would be shocked if they took a huge risk by taking Campbell at #9.

Trust me, I don't think in two years with NFL coaching that Campbell will be worth a Top 10 pick. The Bills are desperate for an Offensive Tackle, a Franchise Left Tackle to be more exact, and I think they're in a position where they do take a chance on upside. I'd like to say Trent Williams is the pick here, but I don't believe that'll be the case (at least not right now). Campbell only slightly exceeded my expectations at the Combine but it was big for him to get there and establish himself as a player with all the physical tools. I think he starts getting serious looks at 8 and could be gone the next pick at 9.

He hasn't even come close to putting it together on the field and I'm sure on draft day there will be teams that do have him graded in the 3rd or 4th Round. Still, he's eye candy and has proven to be an outstanding physical specimen with a coachable personality. He won't budge past 35 on my board, but unfortunately I could see the Bills taking a major chance there.

If I was a Bills fan I'd flip a table, but that's how the NFL is. In recent years the team hasn't been as conservative with boom-or-bust Aaron Maybin at 11 a year ago and an interior lineman also in the 1st with Eric Wood, not to mention the Terrell Owens acquisition. I think the franchise is breaking just a bit from it's conservative ways in the drought they are in.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 03:36 AM
Trust me, I don't think in two years with NFL coaching that Campbell will be worth a Top 10 pick. The Bills are desperate for an Offensive Tackle, a Franchise Left Tackle to be more exact, and I think they're in a position where they do take a chance on upside. I'd like to say Trent Williams is the pick here, but I don't believe that'll be the case (at least not right now). Campbell only slightly exceeded my expectations at the Combine but it was big for him to get there and establish himself as a player with all the physical tools. I think he starts getting serious looks at 8 and could be gone the next pick at 9.

He hasn't even come close to putting it together on the field and I'm sure on draft day there will be teams that do have him graded in the 3rd or 4th Round. Still, he's eye candy and has proven to be an outstanding physical specimen with a coachable personality. He won't budge past 35 on my board, but unfortunately I could see the Bills taking a major chance there.

If I was a Bills fan I'd flip a table, but that's how the NFL is.

I understand. But given the Bills drafting history, they are usually quite conservative on draft day. They always follow the formula, BPA at their biggest or second biggest position of need. I know they surprised by taking Whitner but Whitner follows that same formula. They needed a DT and a S that year. They felt safety was a bigger need. Michael Huff went at #7 so they took Whitner at #8. In this situation I think Bulaga and Williams are far more likely options. I realize surprises happen on draft day, but I just don't see Buffalo making that move. I'll stand by this all the way to draft day. Bruce Campbell will not be a Top 40 pick.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 03:43 AM
I understand. But given the Bills drafting history, they are usually quite conservative on draft day. They always follow the formula, BPA at their biggest or second biggest position of need. I know they surprised by taking Whitner but Whitner follows that same formula. They needed a DT and a S that year. They felt safety was a bigger need. Michael Huff went at #7 so they took Whitner at #8. In this situation I think Bulaga and Williams are far more likely options. I realize surprises happen on draft day, but I just don't see Buffalo making that move. I'll stand by this all the way to draft day. Bruce Campbell will not be a Top 40 pick.

I respect what you're standing up for and agree that it may still be the case. Still, if Michael Mitchell can go in the Top 50 based sheerly on triangle numbers then a Left Tackle prospect playing in a BCS conference could go MUCH higher than warranted. No matter where he goes, I think it is too high. It'll be easier predict as we near draft day but after the Bills RT Brad Butler jumped ship and retired at age 26, I'm sold this team will start it's rebuilding from the Offensive Line and am 95% they go Tackle if Jimmy Clausen is unavailable.

TACKLE
03-02-2010, 03:53 AM
I respect what you're standing up for and agree that it may still be the case. Still, if Michael Mitchell can go in the Top 50 based sheerly on triangle numbers then a Left Tackle prospect playing in a BCS conference could go MUCH higher than warranted. No matter where he goes, I think it is too high. It'll be easier predict as we near draft day but after the Bills RT Brad Butler jumped ship and retired at age 26, I'm sold this team will start it's rebuilding from the Offensive Line and am 95% they go Tackle if Jimmy Clausen is unavailable.

I don't know why but I keep seeing a Winston Justice-like scenario. Both a very talented prospects who's film didn't match-up with their ability. Justice had great triangle numbers and played at the premier program in the country. His slide was a little different because he was a RT and their may have been questions about his ability to play LT. Still, you couldn't find a mock draft anywhere that didn't have him in the Top 15. Not saying because Justice fell Campbell will fall. More so, that no matter how a prospect is perceived by the media/fans/etc. ,the film tells the truth on draft day.

LickaMahfeetz
03-02-2010, 04:42 AM
Random draft thought: Jermaine Gresham isn't an elite TE and really isn't close to the #1 TE prospect in this draft. Looks like an elite athlete but doesn't have great athleticism. Doesn't have soft hands and double catches too many balls. Benefitted greatly imo due to the system, always wide open in space. Not much of a run after the catch threat, isn't going to run over or around anybody. Blocking is a little better than I expected because he's not a complete liability but he's not an imposing physical threat, despite having the size to be, even on much smaller DB's. Doesn't break down well in space down field and doesn't sustain blocks well either. He can however wall off effectively and is at least willing. And this was before recovering from the injury.

SenorGato
03-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Random draft thought: Jermaine Gresham isn't an elite TE and really isn't close to the #1 TE prospect in this draft. Looks like an elite athlete but doesn't have great athleticism. Doesn't have soft hands and double catches too many balls. Benefitted greatly imo due to the system, always wide open in space. Not much of a run after the catch threat, isn't going to run over or around anybody. Blocking is a little better than I expected because he's not a complete liability but he's not an imposing physical threat, despite having the size to be, even on much smaller DB's. Doesn't break down well in space down field and doesn't sustain blocks well either. He can however wall off effectively and is at least willing. And this was before recovering from the injury.

I like Gronkowski and Anthony McCoy a bit more...Gresham's a very elbowy athlete and I'm not 100% if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Then there's Colin Peek, Moeaki...Graham...Hooma is an excellent blocking TE propsect...

He's close to the top, but I'd take 3 guys (Gronkowski, McCoy, Peek) over him.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I like Gronkowski and Anthony McCoy a bit more...Gresham's a very elbowy athlete and I'm not 100% if that's a good thing or bad thing.

Then there's Colin Peek, Moeaki...Graham...Hooma is an excellent blocking TE propsect...

He's close to the top, but I'd take 3 guys (Gronkowski, McCoy, Peek) over him.

Yikes... What based off what you see from them on tape makes you consider Anthony McCoy or Colin Peek over Jermaine Gresham?

Many considered Gresham a Top 10 prospect entering the season and his injury didn't make me forget what he does on the field. A Top 20 talent more likely to go in the 21-26 range. As good as a receiving Tight End as I've seen at the college level and one that should translate his abilities to the next level.

SenorGato
03-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Yikes... What based off what you see from them on tape makes you consider Anthony McCoy or Colin Peek over Jermaine Gresham?

Many considered Gresham a Top 10 prospect entering the season and his injury didn't make me forget what he does on the field. A Top 20 talent more likely to go in the 21-26 range. As good as a receiving Tight End as I've seen at the college level and one that should translate his abilities to the next level.

I don't value TE that much, and a starting caliber TE is a starting caliber TE.

I mean, how likely is it that Gresham ends up THAT much better than those guys as a pro TE?

Peek and McCoy are guys I think can pull a Kevin Boss...go later than their size and athleticism says they could and end up being a productive starter. That's huge value...

RealityCheck
03-02-2010, 03:16 PM

http://i.cdn.turner.com/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/1003/nfl.combine.2010.si.photos/images/ndamukong-suh-gerald-mccoy.jpg
I'll so make a wallpaper out of this.

MikeTeel
03-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Love the comradery.

princefielder28
03-02-2010, 03:26 PM
If I were projecting a Top 10 right now...

1. St. Louis - Sam Bradford
2. Detroit - Ndamukong Suh
3. Tampa Bay - Gerald McCoy
4. Washington - Russell Okung
5. Kansas City - Eric Berry
6. Seattle - Jimmy Clausen
7. Cleveland - Joe Haden
8. Oakland - Bruce Campbell
9. Buffalo - Bryan Bulaga
10. Jacksonville - Dez Bryant

Wootylicous
03-02-2010, 03:40 PM
seems like they're all wearing those bracelets with the little circle curve in them. what are they?

For balance and power. They seems to get your more power, flexibility and balance I have one of those.

Babylon
03-02-2010, 03:41 PM

You know where i'm going with that Seattle pick.

As for your top 10 i dont think Anthony Davis belongs in that group and i'm not sure about Clausen and Bryant either.

RealityCheck
03-02-2010, 03:53 PM
Top 10:

1. STL - DT Suh
2. DET - DT McCoy
3. TB - DE Pierre-Paul
4. WAS - OT Okung
5. KC - OT Davis
6. SEA - QB Bradford
7. CLE - S Berry
8. OAK - OT Campbell
9. BUF - WR Bryant
10. JAC - CB Haden
Obviously, 11. DEN - QB Clausen

Full mock coming soon.
Or not.

LickaMahfeetz
03-02-2010, 04:02 PM

Curious if you'd still feel that way after revisiting the tape from last year.

ThePudge
03-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Curious if you'd still feel that way after revisiting the tape from last year.

Obviously Gresham had no tape for last year but Peek/McCoy were certainly not close to producing or contributing on his level in 2009-10. After a down year for the Sooners it's amazing how some forget how good Sam Bradford, Trent Williams, Gerald McCoy, and Jermaine Gresham are.

Splat
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
I want to say I know what the Chiefs are going to do but it would be a lie I could see them going a number of different ways in round one.

If I had to guess I would say the pick is going to come down to either Okung or Berry.

RealityCheck
03-03-2010, 03:14 PM
2011 is gonna be awesome. Locker, Mallett and COD addicts

http://twitter.com/SirGregory8

I'm so tired Im just ready to go home and get on COD 1 minute ago via Twitterrific

RT @CarterUNC54 Playboy just gave COD a shoutout!!! That's my dawg...lol [definitely kept it real] about 21 hours ago via Twitterrific

Relax and recover = COD 9:14 PM Mar 1st via Twitterrific

I'll pay COD and listen to musik until I go to sleep tonight 6:52 PM Feb 28th via Twitterrific

SRogers92
03-03-2010, 03:27 PM
Gresham is, IMO, easily the #1 TE in the draft ...

Brandon Pettigrew wasn't an "elite athlete" but -- was raelly coming on as a tremendous player before blowing out his ACL ...

Gresham reminds me a lot of Antonio Gates ... people think Gates is a burner, but -- he's a slower 4.8 guy that just seems to always get open and simply makes plays ALA Gresham ...

LickaMahfeetz
03-04-2010, 03:44 AM
Obviously Gresham had no tape for last year but Peek/McCoy were certainly not close to producing or contributing on his level in 2009-10. After a down year for the Sooners it's amazing how some forget how good Sam Bradford, Trent Williams, Gerald McCoy, and Jermaine Gresham are.
Sorry, didn't mean literal year. 2009 season was the most current one, last year = 2008 season.

You have no tape to revisit from 2008? Oklahoma was nationally televised almost every week that year. I've been re-watching tons myself to see Bradford and Gresham since my team might be in contention to take both.

TACKLE
03-14-2010, 04:34 AM
Check this out. It's like a FlickChart for draft picks. Very interesting but also very addicting.

http://draftmvps.nfl.com/

CC.SD
03-14-2010, 04:42 AM
I wonder if Dwyer is going to be around for the 28th pick in the 2nd round, I'm starting to think that is a very legit possibility.

TACKLE
03-14-2010, 04:50 AM
I wonder if Dwyer is going to be around for the 28th pick in the 2nd round, I'm starting to think that is a very legit possibility.

Assuming they don't take Mathews in the first.

FUNBUNCHER
03-14-2010, 06:49 AM
Here's the deal when a team is considering drafting a 'superfreak' prospect out of UMD; there are the Vernon Davis's and Shawne Merriman's in one corner, and the Darius Heyward Bey's and Bruce Campbell's in the other.

Davis and Merriman were physical freaks who dominated in college,(PRODUCTION to back up the numbers), Campbell and Bey did not.

Whoever drafts Bruce Campbell in the top 10 will get burned IMO, and I doubt he has the raw football talent to start as a rookie. Physically, he's been the same player for 2 years, yet most of his press comes from the weight room, not the football field.
Buyer beware.

I wouldn't be surprised if a team gives him reps at DT in his rookie TC just to see what he can do.
Also, Shanahan wants his own QB. Jason Campbell is careful with the ball and a decent game manager, but he's far from elite and doesn't have the ability to take over games by his 'stellar' play alone - future backup.

I'd say there is a 60% chance Shanny takes Clausen if he's still on the board at 4.
After Spiller, Best, and Mathews, I think all the top RB prospects fall at least a round later than projected.

Gilyard and Tate will make the quickest transition to the pros among the WRs.
Joe Haden won't be the first CB off the board, Eric Berry will be drafted as a CB.

Minnesota Gopher ILB Nathan Triplett will go higher than anyone expects and will be an impact player as a rookie.

I feel like at least one or two teams will trade up into the top 12, but I can't tell which teams they will be or who they will be targeting.

WCH
03-14-2010, 07:33 AM
Check this out. It's like a FlickChart for draft picks. Very interesting but also very addicting.

http://draftmvps.nfl.com/

The first tough choice: Dave Waymer (2nd round, 1980) vs Terrell Davis (6th round, 1995). Waymer played 13 years for three different teams, and racked up 48 INTs; Davis had a short, but incredibly impressive career with Denver.

This brings up the timeless question of how much to value longevity.

TACKLE
03-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Today I made a $10 bet with someone that Sam Bradford would be the first overall pick. I'm very certain this would be the case. The person who bet me said that Bradford wouldn't be the first pick because he said Jamie Dukes said that they weren't going to take a QB and they were going o trade for Vick. I lol'ed hard.

bored of education
03-18-2010, 09:52 PM
tackle, post something in the jerry hughes thread

CC.SD
03-19-2010, 10:09 PM
Soooooo Bucky Brooks made a mock where Suh went to the Raiders at 8, and then he ate some clay.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816ffb3c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 01:02 PM
I've been getting annoyed by certain sites and critics really piling on the kids with "character concerns". I'm pulling for Blount and Bryant and think they both are going to have successful careers.

Supporting Caste
03-20-2010, 01:18 PM
I've been getting annoyed by certain sites and critics really piling on the kids with "character concerns". I'm pulling for Blount and Bryant and think they both are going to have successful careers.

Why do you insist that character concerns are not a big deal?

No, you know what? You're right. Adam Jones, Maurice Clarett, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers got screwed. They're all out of the league because of this character concern conspiracy.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 01:26 PM
Why do you insist that character concerns are not a big deal?

No, you know what? You're right. Adam Jones, Maurice Clarett, Mike Williams and Charles Rogers got screwed. They're all out of the league because of this character concern conspiracy.

I still think Dez Bryants suspension was ridiculous and should have no effect on his NFL career.

Blount paid his dues and has done everything right since the incident.

I wouldn't say Mike Williams had character concerns.

I think people hear "character concerns" and make assumptions and blow things out of proportion

Supporting Caste
03-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I still think Dez Bryants suspension was ridiculous and should have no effect on his NFL career.

Blount paid his dues and has done everything right since the incident.

I wouldn't say Mike Williams had character concerns.

*Edit: My bad, I confused you for scottyboy/Anthony Davis. Post continues as normal:

Look, I LIKE Bryant and Blount. I just don't see how you can pretend there's nothing to worry about with them.

Williams obviously did have character concerns, hindsight they may be. The guy was lazy as ****.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 01:40 PM
*Edit: My bad, I confused you for scottyboy/Anthony Davis. Post continues as normal:

Look, I LIKE Bryant and Blount. I just don't see how you can pretend there's nothing to worry about with them.

Williams obviously did have character concerns, hindsight they may be. The guy was lazy as ****.

The Anthony Davis concerns are something I can agree with.

I guess my main problem is with Mike Florio with the whole Blount missing his proday thing and then reporting Pacman didn't show up for his proday yesterday.

I agreed with Scott on his podcast yesterday talking about WR "divas" and how it relates to Dez Bryant. That is just how they are now a days and if you want an elite WR you just have to deal with it. I also think are there definitely different types of divas. I don't like Randy Moss's attitude, but I find myself agreeing with Steve Smith and Ochocinco.

I mean I'm not sitting in on the interviews when teams ask these guys about their past problems, but if he is dedicated to football and has the right mindset then I'd be ok with drafting him. The Bengals are the prime example of how it can work out for a team. They've taken players earlier than some teams would have and it can often end up with them getting great value. Just a couple off my head Cedric Benson, Bernand Scott, and Andre Smith.

Supporting Caste
03-20-2010, 02:04 PM
The concerns with Bryant are more valid in the case of responsibility, I feel like. I'm generally prone to dismiss even that, though, because he was always in great shape and productive despite the supposed tardiness to team functions.

Blount's concern IMO is just that he obviously demonstrated a pretty serious lack of self-control, and he was considered a bit of a headcase even before then. Still, I would draft him in the 4th if I needed a RB.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-20-2010, 02:08 PM
I am a Bengals fan and I am not sure using them as an example in drafting character issues guys successfully is correct. Benson was a FA, Smith at #6 was hardly a steal, at best it will turn out as good value. Scott seems like a great pick in rd 5 but for everyone of those there is a Henry, a Jason Shirley, a Frostee Rucker.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 02:20 PM
I am a Bengals fan and I am not sure using them as an example in drafting character issues guys successfully is correct. Benson was a FA, Smith at #6 was hardly a steal, at best it will turn out as good value. Scott seems like a great pick in rd 5 but for everyone of those there is a Henry, a Jason Shirley, a Frostee Rucker.

Then Bengals haven't done it exactly how I would have when dealing with these types of players. They seem to take in everybody without looking at each individual and situation. There are different types of "character concerns" and I just feel they sometimes get lumped into one group.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-20-2010, 02:25 PM
Then Bengals haven't done it exactly how I would have when dealing with these types of players. They seem to take in everybody without looking at each individual and situation. There are different types of "character concerns" and I just feel they sometimes get lumped into one group.

That is true. Lumped in would be: Lazy, egotistical, hanging with bad crowd, drug/alcohol, lack of "coach-ability", anger issues, arrests, lack of passion for the game, selfishness, etc.

BaLLiN
03-20-2010, 03:30 PM
is it just me or are the linebackers in this year very inconsistent? ive been watching more film on weatherspoon, spikes, mcclain, and came off with alot of questioning whether they were worth pick #15

scottyboy
03-20-2010, 03:49 PM

exactly. some stupid stuff always comes up and gets over analyzed. remember when Kenny Britt had super character concerns that literally nobody could back up? yea. when teams/fans are going hardcore all out to defend/breakdown players, they overblow what they percieve as "Character".

and for supporting caste, I wouldn't say Anthony Davis being lazy is character concerns. that's laziness. character concerns are things that get you suspended, off the field stuff and stuff that tears apart locker rooms.

Splat
03-20-2010, 04:00 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-terrence_codys_dance_card_filling_up_html-2010320&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Terrence Cody thinking first round?

Ill be happy to get drafted, but Im shooting for the top 10 or top 15 picks, Cody said. Im really the only true nose guard in the draft this year. Im thinking first round, somewhere very high.

vidae
03-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh hey Bucky Brooks, nice Bulaga pick to KC! We'd pass on arguably the best player in the draft for Bulaga! Because of the Pioli connection! fapfpafpafpa

This guy is clueless.

Hines
03-20-2010, 04:05 PM
Soooooo Bucky Brooks made a mock where Suh went to the Raiders at 8, and then he ate some clay.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d816ffb3c&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

If Suh were to somehow fall to the Raiders, the Steelers BETTER be on the phone trading up for him. Bucky Brooks is a clown and I don't take his mocks seriously.

Scotty D
03-20-2010, 04:11 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-terrence_codys_dance_card_filling_up_html-2010320&prov=nfp&type=lgns

Terrence Cody thinking first round?

Ill be happy to get drafted, but Im shooting for the top 10 or top 15 picks, Cody said. Im really the only true nose guard in the draft this year. Im thinking first round, somewhere very high.

I've always liked Cody. For some reason I think he could be a Shaun Rogers type DT in the NFL

scpanther22
03-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Will the Carolina Panthers finally find a #2 WR to go with S.Smith?

bored of education
03-21-2010, 11:44 AM
http://bloggingthedraft.com/2010/03/the-bull-market/

i wrote a lil something about nose tackles

TheSlinger
03-21-2010, 07:58 PM
This draft is so strong it's just impossible to rank players... no matter what I try I look at a name and I look at how far down he is on the list and I just think "wow, no way is Benn not a 1st round talent" or something like that and try to move him up... leading to other problems. It's just so hard.

Splat
03-21-2010, 08:05 PM
Good year to have two second round picks.:)

proshoota25
03-21-2010, 11:13 PM
Good year to have two second round picks.:)

or 3 in our case :)

Splat
03-22-2010, 09:58 AM
31 days till the draft...

Hines
03-22-2010, 11:45 AM
Falcons GM Thomas Dimitroff indicated to SI's Peter King that he has good information that the Chiefs are unlikely to consider Tennessee S Eric Berry at No. 5 overall.

Dimitroff worked with Chiefs GM Scott Pioli in New England, and they are still close. "I was talking to Scott Pioli about Berry, and I said, 'Scott, this guy's your pick,'" said Dimitroff. "He said, 'You know how I feel about safeties that early.'." The history of safeties taken at the top of the draft is checkered at best. The Chiefs appear more likely to use their first-rounder on an offensive tackle.

-Rotoworld

zachsaints52
03-22-2010, 11:47 AM
McClain to KC!!!

scpanther22
03-22-2010, 01:00 PM
What round will Dunlap go in?

Addict
03-22-2010, 01:04 PM

I don't know anymore there's so much talk of him going in the first again that it might very well happen.

JFLO
03-22-2010, 01:10 PM
I'm starting to think he's going to be a flier pick in the first, in the 25-32 range.

Addict
03-22-2010, 01:15 PM
I'm starting to think he's going to be a flier pick in the first, in the 25-32 range.

for some reason I keep thinking SF, with their second first rounder pick might trade down a little and take him.

scpanther22
03-22-2010, 01:26 PM
I think there is a small chance Dunlap goes in the 2nd.

And then I could see the bucs taking him because they have 2 picks in the 2nd

RealityCheck
03-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Bulaga to KC!!!
Fixed for you.

Splat
03-22-2010, 07:23 PM
The more I look in to this draft the more I think it's just sick there are going to be some studs in the 2nd and 3rd round maybe even beyond.

vidae
03-22-2010, 08:43 PM
McClain to KC!!!

Fixed for you.

I fixed it for you, RealityCheck. :)

BeerBaron
03-22-2010, 09:57 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/22/mccoy-to-visit-browns-for-two-days/

McCoy and the Browns makes a lot of sense to me. Assuming they don't want/can't get Bradford, I think McCoy is the next best fit in a WCO. They'd probably have to take him in round 2 though to make sure they got him.

And I follow this argument up with admitting that yes, Mangini may not run a WCO, but I feel that anything short of a Falcons/Dolphins type of turnaround is going to get him fired and replaced with a former Holmgren lieutenant who probably will run the WCO.

Splat
03-26-2010, 05:27 PM
Source: Kyle Williams runs in 4.3 range (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_kyle_williams_runs_in_43_range_html-2010326&prov=nfp&type=lgns)

As for his pro day the Nard Dog would say Nailed It...

yourfavestoner
03-26-2010, 06:17 PM
Source: Kyle Williams runs in 4.3 range (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=nfp-source_kyle_williams_runs_in_43_range_html-2010326&prov=nfp&type=lgns)

Puts him in contention to be the top CB taken and a possible top 10 pick.

wicket
03-26-2010, 06:24 PM

doubt he falls past my saints tbqh

TheSlinger
03-26-2010, 06:54 PM
Puts him in contention to be the top CB taken and a possible top 10 pick.

I would wager a lot of money that Kyle Williams won't be the first CB taken.

TACKLE
03-26-2010, 06:59 PM
I would wager a lot of money that Kyle Williams won't be the first CB taken.

I'm pretty sure he messed up and thought it was Kyle Wilson. If Kyle Wilson ran a 4.30, he would probably jump Haden as the #1 CB in the draft.

yourfavestoner
03-27-2010, 09:34 PM
Does anybody else not like Earl Thomas?

I dunno, I just feel he's going to be overwhelmed trying to defend against the run or dealing with bigger wide receivers and tight ends.

Rosebud
03-27-2010, 09:42 PM
Does anybody else not like Earl Thomas?

I dunno, I just feel he's going to be overwhelmed trying to defend against the run or dealing with bigger wide receivers and tight ends.

Kinda, his range and ballskills are just fantastic though.

yourfavestoner
03-27-2010, 09:43 PM
Kinda, his range and ballskills are just fantastic though.

Yeah...I'm probably just being haunted by the ghost of the Player Formerly Known as Reggie Nelson.

Rosebud
03-27-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah...I'm probably just being haunted by the ghost of the Player Formerly Known as Reggie Nelson.

:( I thought he would be such a beast, I just didn't realize how crippling being ******** truly is for a safety. I remember arguing that he'd be better than Laron Landry that year and sadly if he shows a pulse this year he could end up proving me right.

yourfavestoner
03-27-2010, 09:52 PM
:( I thought he would be such a beast, I just didn't realize how crippling being ******** truly is for a safety. I remember arguing that he'd be better than Laron Landry that year and sadly if he shows a pulse this year he could end up proving me right.

We'll see what happens. If he doesn't show signs of life during training camp, he's a candidate to be cut.

Del Rio said his problem is that he had too much success as a rookie. Because of that, he never really worked to take his game to the next level...he's essentially the same player he was in college and teams have figured out how to exploit him. Apparently, he's "realized" his problem and has "rededicated himself" but you hear that **** about every single ******* player in the offseason so I'll believe it when I see it.

Rosebud
03-27-2010, 09:59 PM
We'll see what happens. If he doesn't show signs of life during training camp, he's a candidate to be cut.

Del Rio said his problem is that he had too much success as a rookie. Because of that, he never really worked to take his game to the next level...he's essentially the same player he was in college and teams have figured out how to exploit him. Apparently, he's "realized" his problem and has "rededicated himself" but you hear that **** about every single ******* player in the offseason so I'll believe it when I see it.

I'm sure he's finally realized his problem, I just don't see how he'll fix his Down Syndrome, unless...the jags draft Myron Rolle to create a cure!...?...maybe?

yourfavestoner
03-27-2010, 10:02 PM
Most of the Jags fans want Rolle on the team...and he totally fits the mold of what Gene Smith wants in a player (leader, high character, etc).

I always claimed Rolle was overrated while at FSU...but I think he could be ******* amazing if dedicated his attention to football.

Rosebud
03-27-2010, 10:11 PM
Most of the Jags fans want Rolle on the team...and he totally fits the mold of what Gene Smith wants in a player (leader, high character, etc).

I always claimed Rolle was overrated while at FSU...but I think he could be ******* amazing if dedicated his attention to football.

I dunno if he has the athletic ability. He was slow at FSU and didn't time well, maybe he just needs a year of dedication to maximizing his athleticism, but there's a lot of safeties I'd take before him because I'm more certain that they'll make an impact in the NFL.

yourfavestoner
03-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I dunno if he has the athletic ability. He was slow at FSU and didn't time well, maybe he just needs a year of dedication to maximizing his athleticism, but there's a lot of safeties I'd take before him because I'm more certain that they'll make an impact in the NFL.

That's true. I think they'll look long and hard at Taylor Mays if they decide to trade down. The Jags essentially run a Tampa Two on defense and he's a perfect fit for that scheme. Chad Jones is another intriguing guy and I think he could fall a little further (third round maybe) than people think since he didn't test as well at the combine as people thought. Major Wright's another solid option for them.

I love this draft because there's a lot of depth at positions of need for Jacksonville (defensive line and safety namely). I don't really care if they draft Tebow or not at this point - as long as they trade back and recoup some picks first.

armageddon
03-27-2010, 10:51 PM
I wouldn't mind Dunlap to the Rams at the top of rd 2 if he makes it that far. Pass rushing DE is a huge need.

scpanther22
03-28-2010, 09:18 AM
It seems like no body is talking about Brandon Lafell. Do you think he will slip in the 2nd?

JFLO
03-28-2010, 09:47 AM
LaFell seems to have fallen victim of the junior class that has declared. The same thing will probably happen with Terrence Toliver next year at LSU. I still think he (LaFell) is one of the more complete and safest bets at wide receiver this year. I don't think he'll be a disappointment, but I also don't think he'll be a Pro-Bowl type player either. Still, he is a solid #2 guy.

GoRavens
03-28-2010, 10:14 AM
I agree, Lafell has slipped quite a bit.
I have him ranked as my #10 WR now.
Late 2nd/ Early Third.
He lacks explosion and won't be a playmaker in the NFL.
He loses focus too often and drops a ton of passes.
He also can't beat the jam consistently.
And to top it off, he has character concerns and poor work ethic.
(THIRD ROUND)

RealityCheck
03-28-2010, 10:39 AM
LaFell will end up falling to the third imo.

Which sucks.

scpanther22
03-28-2010, 02:18 PM
I agree, Lafell has slipped quite a bit.
I have him ranked as my #10 WR now.
Late 2nd/ Early Third.
He lacks explosion and won't be a playmaker in the NFL.
He loses focus too often and drops a ton of passes.
He also can't beat the jam consistently.
And to top it off, he has character concerns and poor work ethic.
(THIRD ROUND)

yikes you make him sound like he wont be a good player..lol

V.I.P
03-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Brandon LaFell has Michael Clayton 2.0 written all over him.

mario
03-28-2010, 03:02 PM

I still don't know how Chris McGaha can be above him in many WR rankings :rolleyes:

I hope the Panthers draft him in the 7th round, we need a realiable returner also.

scpanther22
03-28-2010, 03:14 PM
I still don't know how Chris McGaha can be above him in many WR rankings :rolleyes:

I hope the Panthers draft him in the 7th round, we need a realiable returner also.

I am hoping that Mardy Gilyard can fall to us in the 2nd..but there are some teams ahead of us that I could see taking him.

Splat
03-29-2010, 09:10 AM
24 days away...

Addict
03-29-2010, 10:08 AM
24 days away...

<sigh> takes so long. Worst thing is I'm pretty much doomed to watch it at some rediculous nighttime.

TheSlinger
03-29-2010, 03:41 PM
If the Raiders do go ahead and trade for McNabb does that make them more likely to take someone like Spiller or especially Bryant (assuming good 40 time) in the first?

Mr.Regular
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM
If the Raiders do go ahead and trade for McNabb does that make them more likely to take someone like Spiller or especially Bryant (assuming good 40 time) in the first?
Im not sure how McNabb changes their first round draft needs.... most people are thinking LT all the way so that shouldn't change.

TACKLE
03-29-2010, 03:43 PM

No. Not at all. Oakland was not targeting a QB with their 1st round pick anyway so it wouldn't really change anything. It's going to be an OT all the way for the silver and black.

tEk
03-29-2010, 08:38 PM
i've noticed that i like alot of uconn's prospects this year.

JFLO
03-29-2010, 08:48 PM
i've noticed that i like alot of uconn's prospects this year.

REPRESENTIN!!!

I'm hoping Marcus Easley does well at the next level. He and Lindsey Witten have tons of potential but are still pretty raw. It's pretty much a fact that all UCONN prospects need like 2-4 years of development before being considered a starter.

Go Huskies!

armageddon
03-29-2010, 09:16 PM
Anybody think TE Gresham can make it to #33 for the Rams ?

BeerBaron
03-29-2010, 10:22 PM

I don't see it happening. A bunch of teams in the 20 range could use a talented, young upgrade at TE.

UK_Raider
03-30-2010, 09:59 AM
My loose top 10 is:
1) Suh-Super prospect. Could take a QB over him but both have major question marks.
2) McCoy- BPA and fills need.
3) Pierre-Paul- rumour is the Bucs like him, even at 3
4) Bradford- rumour is they like Bradford over Clausen...and new coaching staff wants their own QB...plus Washington loves making a splash so QB>LT
5) Berry- Great fit for KC. Okung is an option but Albert was better then given credit for, and McClain would be a reach.
6) Clausen- New regime=new Qb
7) Haden- seems like consensus right now
8) Campbell- ya, even over Okung..... remember DHB over Crabtree?
9) Okung- steal!
10) Morgan- tough pick to place, put fits needs, fairly good value.

Please do not let this happen :-( Surely even Al isn't that stupid.....wait, don't answer that question!!

killxswitch
03-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Where did the recent Roger Saffold hype come from? I've seen him going in the 1st round which to me is crazy.

Mr.Regular
03-30-2010, 10:49 AM
Please do not let this happen :-( Surely even Al isn't that stupid.....wait, don't answer that question!!
Dont you worry...I made that a while ago. I still have them going Campbell but not over Okung.

New top 10:
1-Bradford- consensus at this point it seems
2-Suh- Lions value BPA over positional needs
3- McCoy- no explanation needed
4- Okung- Itll be Okung/Clausen all the way here... I have Clausen slipping even though he shouldnt
5- Bulaga- Positional value>best available player for KC
6- Berry- Fills big time need and hes BPA by a long shot
7- Haden- I dont like the passrushers here, and I dont think Holmgren is targetting Clausen
8- Campbell- freakiest athlete in the draft at a position of need
9- Clausen- falls right into their laps
10- Bryant- this pick never happens in mocks but I think its a big possibility

03-30-2010, 10:58 AM
Davis I could see, Campbell I can't see. Since when did athleticism in an OT matter to Al? It seems like for the past few years every OT we workout or draft is a behemoth, not necessarily an athletic specimen.

JFLO
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Where did the recent Roger Saffold hype come from? I've seen him going in the 1st round which to me is crazy.

I know there was a lot of buzz surrounding him from around Bowl Season/Senior Bowl time to obviously now.

I've seen him go to Indianapolis in a lot of mocks lately. I haven't really seen or heard anything regarding the Colts having interest in him, but it wouldn't surprise me.

He's extremely versatile and has definite starter potential at guard. He'll need more development at tackle, but he seems to have the right tools in place. He could slip into the 1st round, but I really would only imagine Indianaplis taking a chance on him in the latter part of the round. Hometown boy.

JFLO
03-30-2010, 11:33 AM
does anyone else think Detroit will seriously consider Okung by the time, say April 18th-19th rolls around? Paying Suh/McCoy Top 2 money isn't totally out of the ordinary, but if your picking #2, especially considering they picked up Corey Williams ( i think?).

I'm starting to think Okung is going to Detroit.

03-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Saffold to Indy - hometown boy, Big Ten guy, high character, intelligent, leader, can play across the line, hard worker, tough, athletic, etc etc

Are those not Bill Polian traits? Not to mention he's a 'high floor' type talent that Polian tends to target in the later part of the first round.

killxswitch
03-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Saffold to Indy - hometown boy, Big Ten guy, high character, intelligent, leader, can play across the line, hard worker, tough, athletic, etc etc

Are those not Bill Polian traits? Not to mention he's a 'high floor' type talent that Polian tends to target in the later part of the first round.

I just don't think he's that good. I don't think his floor is that high. One good Shrine game doesn't make up for a career of unspectacular college work. He just seems like a mid-rounder to me and one big offseason exhibition performance doesn't seem like enough to change that. After Okung, Bulaga, Williams, Davis, and even Charles Brown, the dropoff to guys like Saffold and Bruce Campbell appears substantial. Given that none of the OTs in this draft are likely to be elite LTs in the NFL, taking a LT from the 2nd tier in this class with a 1st rounder doesn't seem like a good idea to me, especially with the talent at other positions that will be available.

RealityCheck
03-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Some mocks have him falling to the Pats in the 2nd, but no way.
My best guess is that some team in the Top 20 will throw a curveball and take him (Miami, Seattle, Pittsburgh come to mind)

Hines
03-30-2010, 12:17 PM
The Vikings "love" Virginia DB Chris Cook so much that they could draft him 30th overall, according to Wes Bunting of the National Football Post.

A sure tackler with plenty of size and speed, Cook would stay at corner in the Vikings' Tampa 2-style defense, whereas he'd play free safety in man-to-man schemes. Minnesota is needy at CB with Cedric Griffin rehabbing a torn ACL. Cook is conducting a private workout for the Vikes on Tuesday.

RealityCheck
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
The Vikings "love" Virginia DB Chris Cook so much that they could draft him 30th overall, according to Wes Bunting of the National Football Post.

A sure tackler with plenty of size and speed, Cook would stay at corner in the Vikings' Tampa 2-style defense, whereas he'd play free safety in man-to-man schemes. Minnesota is needy at CB with Cedric Griffin rehabbing a torn ACL. Cook is conducting a private workout for the Vikes on Tuesday.
That would be a ridiculous reach.

Splat
03-30-2010, 02:23 PM
23 days...

princefielder28
03-30-2010, 02:42 PM
That would be a ridiculous reach.

Cook could go as high as ther mid second round so if he did jump up to the bottom of round one, it wouldn't surprise me all that much.

JFLO
03-30-2010, 03:31 PM
I wouldn't mind the Vikings taking Cook...

in round 2

BaLLiN
03-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Due to two reports of the giants being possibly interested in CJ Spiller, what would be the compensation for drafting Brandon Jacobs? He's been a great runningback albeit injured every year...

MetSox17
03-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Earl Thomas ran a 4.35 at the Texas Pro Day :D

JFLO
03-31-2010, 12:20 PM
so it was probably around a 4.43? haha...

I've heard the rule is that you automatically add .08 seconds to the Pro-Day forty times.

Still, I think Earl Thomas is a Top 10 talent in this draft. Not better than Berry but in the 8-10 range as a prospect.

Halsey
03-31-2010, 12:40 PM
The thread about Mcshay, that was quickly locked, brings something up that I've been meaning to discuss: Does anybody else like Todd Mcshay? I do and I think the widespread dislike for him is as silly as it was back when everyoe seemed to hate Kiper. I'm not saying Mcshay is perfect, but I think he offers interesting information and viewpoints. It seems to me people hate him because he disagrees with Kiper a lot, which is ironic since that would have made him more popular 10 years ago.

Cicero
03-31-2010, 12:44 PM
My best guess is that some team in the Top 20 will throw a curveball and take him (Miami, Seattle, Pittsburgh come to mind)

John Carlson and Heath Miller?

TACKLE
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM
The thread about Mcshay, that was quickly locked, brings something up that I've been meaning to discuss: Does anybody else like Todd Mcshay? I do and I think the widespread dislike for him is as silly as it was back when everyoe seemed to hate Kiper. I'm not saying Mcshay is perfect, but I think he offers interesting information and viewpoints. It seems to me people hate him because he disagrees with Kiper a lot, which is ironic since that would have made him more popular 10 years ago.

The thread was locked because there is the same thread in the Off-Topic Section. That one has not been locked.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 12:45 PM

Miami with Fasano may be a spot for Grehsam although to me he isnt a Parcells kind of guy. Seattle has John Carlson and Pittsburgh Heath Miller, those teams have other needs besides a backup TE.

FrankGore
03-31-2010, 12:50 PM
The TE class is somewhat deep this year and teams could get rewarded for waiting until the mid-rounds to pick up guys like Hernandez, Dickson, Pitta, Quarless. I think Gresham could go to Baltimore in round 1 at best, otherwise the early part of round 2 makes sense for him.

scpanther22
03-31-2010, 12:58 PM
Reports said brain Price did not look good.

PrimetimeTheDon
03-31-2010, 01:01 PM
The TE class is somewhat deep this year and teams could get rewarded for waiting until the mid-rounds to pick up guys like Hernandez, Dickson, Pitta, Quarless. I think Gresham could go to Baltimore in round 1 at best, otherwise the early part of round 2 makes sense for him.

I'd be floored if Hernandez made it out of the 2nd round.

BeerBaron
03-31-2010, 01:28 PM

Fun little article about McShay you might want to read:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/31/todd-mcshay-backlash-builds/

Quick summation for those who don't like to always read:

Kiper has sources high up in the organizations, McShay doesn't.
High ups in the organizations have some respect for Kiper, they don't for McShay.

Halsey
03-31-2010, 01:38 PM
Isn't profootball talk like the National Enquirer of football? Just because an article claims something doesn't mean it's true. Maybe it is, but I'm not just going to take it for fact without anything to back it up.

Hines
03-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant lashed out at his skeptics to the Associated Press following his Tuesday Pro Day, insisting the criticism "has gone too far" and saying "he ain't never got in trouble with nobody."

"I don't say anything wrong to nobody. I'm friendly. This...is too far," he said. "Even if I did forget my cleats, what do that have to do with me playing football? ... Y'all don't want me to go to the NFL? It is going to happen. God blessed me to have this ability to play this game. ... I'm going through the same situation Randy Moss did." He also defended Pacman Jones. "Why down talk the man?" Bryant said of Pacman. "The man did everything right."

-Rotoworld

Splat
03-31-2010, 01:53 PM
Isn't profootball talk like the National Enquirer of football?

Not any more really.

BeerBaron
03-31-2010, 02:01 PM
Isn't profootball talk like the National Enquirer of football? Just because an article claims something doesn't mean it's true. Maybe it is, but I'm not just going to take it for fact without anything to back it up.

They still take chances and post things that they'll label as like "just a rumor" and a lot of the time, it unfolds that way.

They were the first place I heard anything about a trade for McNabb from for example, and I'm pretty sure that was one of the "just a rumor" kind of posts at first.

Texas Homer
03-31-2010, 02:32 PM
I think Texas OG Charlie Tanner would make a solid late round pick.

I still like S Chad Jones and Florida LB Brandon Spikes.

prock
03-31-2010, 05:06 PM
Todd McShay just said that Colt McCoy is a "gunslinger". He also said he wouldn't take any quarterback other than Bradford in the first round. He rates Bradford at a 96, and Clausen as an 88. There really can't be that big a difference between the two. No way do I buy that.

princefielder28
03-31-2010, 05:11 PM
Todd McShay just said that Colt McCoy is a "gunslinger". He also said he wouldn't take any quarterback other than Bradford in the first round. He rates Bradford at a 96, and Clausen as an 88. There really can't be that big a difference between the two. No way do I buy that.

McShay is turned off by Clausen's "punk" attitude and I can't blame him for that. I'm not that high on Clausen, and while I know he played in a pro style offense, I think he will take longer to develop than Bradford.

Babylon
03-31-2010, 05:27 PM
McShay is turned off by Clausen's "punk" attitude and I can't blame him for that. I'm not that high on Clausen, and while I know he played in a pro style offense, I think he will take longer to develop than Bradford.

Bradford basically played 2 games this year in a Big-12 spread offense and Clausen played 12 in a pro style offense. Not sure i would agree Clausen will take longer to develope.

As for McShay he throws enough at the wall that occasionally some of it sticks.

prock
03-31-2010, 05:34 PM

Clausen is just a cocky mother ******. Who cares? So is Jay Cutler. So is Brett Favre. He played in a pro style offense under Charlie Weis and has no real weaknesses. I think Bradford is better than Clausen, but I think it is close. But I disregard anything McShay ever says from here on out, after he called Colt a gunslinger. That is just ******* stupid.

princefielder28
03-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Clausen is just a cocky mother ******. Who cares? So is Jay Cutler. So is Brett Favre. He played in a pro style offense under Charlie Weis and has no real weaknesses. I think Bradford is better than Clausen, but I think it is close. But I disregard anything McShay ever says from here on out, after he called Colt a gunslinger. That is just ******* stupid.

Clausen's game has weaknesses starting with his delivery and he needs to work on his deep ball b/c he won't get away with all those floaters that he had against subpar competition at ND.

MetSox17
03-31-2010, 06:16 PM
MIKE MAYOCK
McCoy is a solid second-round draft pick
Posted: March 31st, 2010 | Mike Mayock | Tags: 2010 pro day, 2010 Texas pro day, Colt McCoy, Texas

My favorite stop for a pro day every year is Austin, Texas. They put on a great show and, trust me folks, there’s no lack of talent.

This year, the curiosity was QB Colt McCoy, and I think the most important factor was that he showed he was healthy. He throws the ball deep, he throws it intermediate, and he has excellent deep touch and accuracy.

I loved his footwork. I knew he was a great athlete, so he has great mobility. He’s smart and tough ? you can see that off tape. The most important thing I saw was his ability to drive in intermediate routes ? both the in-breaking big route and the comeback route. He showed he can do that. I think he’s a solid second-round pick.

Earl Thomas, the safety, ran a 4.34-second 40-yard dash on my watch. Remember, it’s a very fast surface, and the scouts will add some time to that. He pulled a hamstring and didn’t do anything else.

The way I look at Sergio Kindle is he’s a fantastic athlete coming forward. He’s explosive and quick. I don’t like him quite as much in space, but he’s going to be a first-round pick coming off the edge.

Lamarr Houston. Natural three-technique, 300-pound guy who moves tremendously well, could drop his wait, bend his hips and explode. I think he’s a second-round three-technique.

Finally, Jordan Shipley, the wide receiver, ran 4.55 on my watch. I don’t really care. That’s what he is. He’s quicker than fast, he’s tough, he’s instinctive. He’s a punt returner and kickoff returner, and he caught every single throw from McCoy today. Great hands, and he will help an NFL team, probably in the third round.

Mayock on attending the Texas Pro Day. And the bolded is for all the haters ;)

I_C_DeadPeople
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Well pro days are wrapping up..now we go into that quite period before the actual draft where we get the 'cone of silence' and endless useless mocks.

Splat
03-31-2010, 09:52 PM
Well pro days are wrapping up..now we go into that quite period before the actual draft where we get the 'cone of silence' and endless useless mocks.

You left out silly rumors.

I_C_DeadPeople
03-31-2010, 09:56 PM
You left out silly rumors.

Yes..and the teams giving out false info to mislead other teams even though everyone now knows every team misleads so maybe the info is real so as to mislead from misleading.

Scotty D
04-03-2010, 06:30 PM
Will the uncapped year have any effect on rookie contracts?

Rosebud
04-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Reports said brain Price did not look good.

God I hope so. If the giants can start having guys I want them to draft in round one start falling to them in round two every year I'm going to be a happy happy giants fan. What, it happened last year when Beatty fell all of the way to our own second rounder last year? Especially if his proday gets him to fall below some guys like Houston for some teams like Oakland's board. I love this kid, his upside is right up there with McCoy's in a 4-3. Unreal burst, plays with good leverage and strength even though he's so raw he doesn't know how to disengage well and so ended up on the ground way too much at the college level. Give him some NFL coaching and you've got a stud who'll make plays against the run and pass in a year or two.

Shane P. Hallam
04-03-2010, 07:03 PM
Will the uncapped year have any effect on rookie contracts?

Likely not. Teams will stick to the slotting as their way of determining numbers, while even if agents try to get more, they know it won't fly.

BaLLiN
04-03-2010, 07:16 PM
"hey im tom brady, its one of the best decision you've ever made taking me"

...and my hate grows

V.I.P
04-03-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm still not understanding how Brian Price looked out of shape/sloopy at his pro day? He looked perfectly fine in this video .... Link ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-q7mfQL0I

Rosebud
04-03-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm still not understanding how Brian Price looked out of shape/sloopy at his pro day? He looked perfectly fine in this video .... Link ---> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G-q7mfQL0I

Quite you, Price needs to fall to the giants in round two, whatever foolish gripes people want to use to make that a reality is fine by me.

Ravens1991
04-03-2010, 08:13 PM
"hey im tom brady, its one of the best decision you've ever made taking me"

...and my hate grows

yeah thats a cocky thing 2 say but you gotta have that kind of attitude that you are the best at any type of high level athletics.

BaLLiN
04-03-2010, 08:37 PM
yeah thats a cocky thing 2 say but you gotta have that kind of attitude that you are the best at any type of high level athletics.

yeah but one giselle, one girlfriend (pregnant?) he left for her, modeling, and commercials later, i just can't take the narcissism and his attitude of being far superior. After he was told (i think in the pre-superbowl interviews) that the predicted score against the giants was 24-17 or 21-17 Pats over giants, Brady responded with laughter and said "thats all youre going to give us?"

Ravens1991
04-03-2010, 08:56 PM
I agree he is a cocky tool, but I have seen that attitude on many athletes get them to success. IDK if he would be wear he was today w/o that attitude

BeerBaron
04-04-2010, 12:45 AM
You know, after some random draft thinking, I'd be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, impressed with a person who can tell me right now (or shortly hereafter) where Tim Tebow is going to be drafted.

Not only the position, but the team. Does anyone really have a good idea? Has any prospect in recent memory had as wide of possible draftable range as Tebow? I could realistically buy an argument from top 10 in the first round to the 3rd round......I really don't think ANYONE has had that kind of possible range....

I really think could get crazy.

SenorGato
04-04-2010, 02:24 AM
You know, after some random draft thinking, I'd be very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, impressed with a person who can tell me right now (or shortly hereafter) where Tim Tebow is going to be drafted.

Not only the position, but the team. Does anyone really have a good idea? Has any prospect in recent memory had as wide of possible draftable range as Tebow? I could realistically buy an argument from top 10 in the first round to the 3rd round......I really don't think ANYONE has had that kind of possible range....

I'll bs a guess and say early 2nd to the Browns.

TACKLE
04-04-2010, 02:26 AM

If I had to put money down on where Tebow will go, I would bet on the Bills to trade up into the end of the 1st of round and take him. But that's just me.

JFLO
04-04-2010, 01:05 PM
I think a team trades up within of the top 25-32 picks to pick Tebow. I think Washington is that team, but it just depends on who they trade with, possibly the Jets or Ravens.

BeerBaron
04-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Another thing to think about in relation to Tebow:

What if Clausen were to take a Rodgers/Quinn tumble? Bradford goes #1, or at the latest #4, and the teams after don't go for Clausen.

So he falls into the range where teams can trade up from the 2nd round, do you think he definitely goes before Tebow? Or is it possible someone trades up from the 2nd round to draft Tebow even with Clausen on the board?

JFLO
04-04-2010, 05:15 PM
I wouldn't totally rule it out, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. Clausen, IMO, is the best quarterback in this class and is the most Pro-Ready of any quarterback as well. I would even go as far to say that Clausen is more Pro-Ready than Stafford and Sanchez were last year at that phase of the 2009 draft.

But back to the scenario, if a team were to take Tebow in front of Clausen, then that would be a monumental mistake, even if they were to take him from a "moral" standpoint.

Scotty D
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
I could see Tebow going #17 overall to the 49ers.

RealityCheck
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
Tebow can go #7, yet he can go in the 4th.

It's insane.

scpanther22
04-04-2010, 07:21 PM
where do you see D'Anthony Smith going?

BeerBaron
04-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't totally rule it out, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. Clausen, IMO, is the best quarterback in this class and is the most Pro-Ready of any quarterback as well. I would even go as far to say that Clausen is more Pro-Ready than Stafford and Sanchez were last year at that phase of the 2009 draft.

But back to the scenario, if a team were to take Tebow in front of Clausen, then that would be a monumental mistake, even if they were to take him from a "moral" standpoint.

I don't disagree on your evaluation of Clausen, I feel the same way too. I actually like him more than Bradford, but that has more to do with Bradford being a spread QB. (I can do my whole anti-spread QB spiel if need be, but I'd rather not right now....)

But with whatever problem teams are finding with Clausen to bring up this much talk of him falling, I could see him taking a Rodgers like tumble in the 20s.

And if a team like Buffalo or Cleveland passes on Clausen in the top 10 hoping to land Tebow later, they might stick with their plan and still trade up for Tebow even if Clausen is still on the board.

Texas Homer
04-05-2010, 12:28 AM
I think Tebow goes in the 2nd round.

ClayMiller4
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
Just a random musing about the number two pick here. I don't see why everyone is so hell bent on drafting Suh to the Lions. Yes, Suh is the best prospect in the draft and a rare specimen at DT, but I personally feel that Okung would be the right pick there. Jeff Backus has the potential to be a very good RT, but he has struggled to protect the quarterback from the left side. The Lions have to protect their franchise investment and QB in Stafford, who has already been injured due to excessive pass rush. A premier LT could make all the difference in his development. Okung isn't flashy, but he doesn't need to be. He's an OT, and he has all the physical and mental skills to be a franchise LT. Suh's great but he is by no means a perfect prospect, You can find a great defensive lineman in round two of a deep draft, but not a franchise LT. Plus, the Lions have an expensive option that has excelled when in the 4-3 in Corey Williams, plus a talented guy that flashed alot of potential in Sammie Lee Hill. With Suh, that would be massive money to a position that doesn't have the value or the need for the Lions as LT. I can surely see why people love Suh (I do as well) and why most are predicting that pick, so I mean no disrespect to his supporters, but it is not as clear cut as it seems. Russell Okung would be a smart pick there.

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 12:07 PM
where do you see D'Anthony Smith going?

3rd round at the latest. Really underrated.

scpanther22
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
3rd round at the latest. Really underrated.

Thats what I think but I see some mocks that say 6th round

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Thats what I think but I see some mocks that say 6th round

Hence him being underrated. He's on the same tier as Lamarr Houston imo.

princefielder28
04-05-2010, 12:26 PM
Hence him being underrated. He's on the same tier as Lamarr Houston imo.

He's not on the same tier as Houston. Smith runs far too hot and cold and that's why he has a wide range of potential draft landing. I would put Smith a tier with Geno Atkins, Linval Joseph, and Mike Neal.

SenorGato
04-05-2010, 09:07 PM
He's not on the same tier as Houston. Smith runs far too hot and cold and that's why he has a wide range of potential draft landing. I would put Smith a tier with Geno Atkins, Linval Joseph, and Mike Neal.

All DL are hot and cold.

His wide range is more due to the fact that nobody outside of LA Tech spectators and the NFL really knows all that much about him.

princefielder28
04-05-2010, 09:12 PM
All DL are hot and cold.

His wide range is more due to the fact that nobody outside of LA Tech spectators and the NFL really knows all that much about him.

I saw Louisiana Tech three times this year and if you saw them, you would know what I'm talking about when it comes to his streakiness. He's a wonderful athlete for the position, and that's where he's going to make his name, as a penetrating 3 technique.

CC.SD
04-05-2010, 09:19 PM
I just have to say that if Suh goes to the Lions and disappears from the public eye I am going to be so pissed! I already don't get my Calvin fix. I wish that org would get it together already so A) I can keep a better eye on players such as these and B) that fan base can have some kind of relief.

Luckily I think that D is kind of sort of coming together (at least in the front 7, especially after the draft), and with Stafford/Calvin it is only a matter of time hopefully.

adamprez2003
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
i could see belichik drafting tebow with one of his second rounders just to mess with parcells lol

Jakey
04-05-2010, 09:27 PM
I just have to say that if Suh goes to the Lions and disappears from the public eye I am going to be so pissed! I already don't get my Calvin fix. I wish that org would get it together already so A) I can keep a better eye on players such as these and B) that fan base can have some kind of relief.

Luckily I think that D is kind of sort of coming together (at least in the front 7, especially after the draft), and with Stafford/Calvin it is only a matter of time hopefully.

I agree man, they've drafted some of my fave prospects over the last few years...they better start owning soon!

On that note, what the hell happened to Ikaika Alama-Frances???

Splat
04-07-2010, 09:31 AM
"The Rams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/STL), whether at home in Los Angeles or St. Louis, have not drafted a quarterback in the first round in 46 years."

I knew it had been awhile but not that long.

RealityCheck
04-07-2010, 09:55 AM
"The Rams (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/STL), whether at home in Los Angeles or St. Louis, have not drafted a quarterback in the first round in 46 years."

I knew it had been awhile but not that long.
This, and the high QB bust rate, and many, many, many other facts make Suh a better pick.

yourfavestoner
04-07-2010, 10:37 AM
This, and the high QB bust rate, and many, many, many other facts make Suh a better pick.

I'm sure the rate on first round DT, DE, WR, and CB busts is around the same as quarterbacks.

It's a glass is half-empty or glass is half-full type of thing. Yes, if you draft a QB in the first round and he busts it can set your franchise back a couple of years. But the rate of SUCCESS of first round quarterbacks is much, much higher than the rate of success of quarterbacks drafted after the first round. That's been a statistical fact that's been used for years and it's why talented quarterbacks will continue to be selected at the top of the first round.

I've never understood the line of thinking you're advocating. You're telling me that's it's better to take a lesser talented player, whose chances of succeeding are significantly lower? If he's good, you're going to have to pay him a ******** of money in two or three years anyways so what difference does it make?

04-07-2010, 10:43 AM
I've never understood the line of thinking you're advocating. You're telling me that's it's better to take a lesser talented player, whose chances of succeeding are significantly lower? If he's good, you're going to have to pay him a ******** of money in two or three years anyways so what difference does it make?

With all that being said, Clausen to Jacksonville?

zachsaints52
04-07-2010, 10:57 AM

I think he will fall to mid teens. Wanna know whats sad though? I stayed the night with a friend, and needed a shirt for school today. The shirt? Jaguars shirt :(

yourfavestoner
04-07-2010, 10:57 AM

They don't have a second round pick, so they'll explore trading out in order to recoup more picks. It's a deep draft, especially at positions of need for Jax (linebacker and safety primarily). But if they can't find a trade partner, I think they'll look at Clausen as a very very nice consolation prize. They know they need an upgrade at quarterback, and I know that GM Gene Smith isn't nearly as high on Tebow as ownership is.

Splat
04-07-2010, 04:22 PM
Report suggests Raiders are interested in Tebow (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/07/report-suggests-raiders-are-interested-in-tebow/)

49erNation85
04-07-2010, 05:32 PM
That link just proves his point of IQ of NFL plays period . I mean come on guys . If the kid can break down a play in all 3 Offense type area . That should give any one props . The Raiders would be an interesting place for Tebow . Seeing as if they are giving up on Russel . I'm sure the fan base would enjoy have Tebow there . Thanks for sharing the link ! It was a nice read and positive note on Tebow as heads into the draft and shows his great smarts at the position . Enough said .

Addict
04-07-2010, 05:35 PM
That link just proves his point of IQ of NFL plays period . I mean come on guys . If the kid can break down a play in all 3 Offense type area . That should give any one props . The Raiders would be an interesting place for Tebow . Seeing as if they are giving up on Russel . I'm sure the fan base would enjoy have Tebow there . Thanks for sharing the link ! It was a nice read and positive note on Tebow as heads into the draft and shows his great smarts at the position . Enough said .

I'm telling you this as a friendly piece of advice, there's no need to put a space between the end of the sentence and the period. It just makes you look stupid.

RealityCheck
04-07-2010, 05:40 PM
So Charles Davis has Tebow going to the Saints.

I say, what is he on?

Mr.Regular
04-07-2010, 05:49 PM

I say, what is he on?
Seems like Davis wanted to put Tebow into his mock but by the time he got to the end realized he hadn't found a spot for him.

BeerBaron
04-07-2010, 05:59 PM

I say, what is he on?

Maybe if he were still there at the bottom of the 2nd round and they thought he was too good of value at that point, maybe......Brees isn't going anywhere anytime soon, so you can afford to develop him slowly barring an injury to Brees. And then if he doesn't look like he's gonna make it at QB, they can throw him in some gimmick packages.

But from the way you put it, it sounds like he was the 32nd pick.....yeah....I don't think so, lol

diabsoule
04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
With the Saints signing Alex Brown I think this takes them out of contention for DE in the first and second rounds.

BeerBaron
04-07-2010, 08:13 PM
With the Saints signing Alex Brown I think this takes them out of contention for DE in the first and second rounds.

I wouldn't completely rule it out. If someone of value falls, I think they could still take him. It might move DE a little lower on the list of needs, but remember, Brown will be 31 when the season starts and has never been a great pass rusher....I'd say average at best. He's good vs. the run though, better than most DEs of his size, but 4-3 DEs in the NFL need to generate sacks first and foremost, and that's part of why he was cut in Chicago.

zachsaints52
04-07-2010, 08:43 PM
I wouldn't completely rule it out. If someone of value falls, I think they could still take him. It might move DE a little lower on the list of needs, but remember, Brown will be 31 when the season starts and has never been a great pass rusher....I'd say average at best. He's good vs. the run though, better than most DEs of his size, but 4-3 DEs in the NFL need to generate sacks first and foremost, and that's part of why he was cut in Chicago.

Austen Laneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

BeerBaron
04-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Austen Laneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I can't even find 2009....well anything on the dude. Google recommends "Alston Lane Saints" when I search him.

So...I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's probably not going to impact draft decisions by the Saints...

princefielder28
04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Anyone know anything on Central Florida's Michael Greco? I know he's a former quarterback who was converted to safety this past season. During CF's pro day he put up some eye-popping numbers though (4.40 forty, 41.5 inch vertical, 10-9 broad jump, 22 bench press, among other drills). Where does this guy fit as a developmental prospect? Keep him on defense at safety or linebacker or maybe throw him a receiver???

Malaka
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
I can't even find 2009....well anything on the dude. Google recommends "Alston Lane Saints" when I search him.

So...I'm going to go out on a limb and say he's probably not going to impact draft decisions by the Saints...

Take that back Austen Lane is a beast! Truthfully though he's maaaaaaybe a late 2nd rounder but I think it's safe to bet he will be drafted in round 3. I made a thread about him awhile back you can search for that if you want more info on the guy.

Ravens1991
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM
Anyone know anything on Central Florida's Michael Greco? I know he's a former quarterback who was converted to safety this past season. During CF's pro day he put up some eye-popping numbers though (4.40 forty, 41.5 inch vertical, 10-9 broad jump, 22 bench press, among other drills). Where does this guy fit as a developmental prospect? Keep him on defense at safety or linebacker or maybe throw him a receiver???

sounds like a situational pass rusher :)

BeerBaron
04-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Take that back Austen Lane is a beast! Truthfully though he's maaaaaaybe a late 2nd rounder but I think it's safe to bet he will be drafted in round 3. I made a thread about him awhile back you can search for that if you want more info on the guy.

My bad. I thought he was a player already on the Saints the way he was talking.

zachsaints52
04-11-2010, 01:42 PM
My bad. I thought he was a player already on the Saints the way he was talking.

Nossir. Austen Lane = sex. Look him up, you wont be disappointed.

Splat
04-11-2010, 04:37 PM
Belichick sees second round as being another first round (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/11/belichick-sees-second-round-as-being-another-first-round/)

JFLO
04-12-2010, 08:44 AM
Tomorrow is single digits!

Semi-boner anyone?

Mr.Regular
04-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Tomorrow is single digits!

Semi-boner anyone?
Full on stiffy.... now through draft weekend.

CC.SD
04-12-2010, 12:37 PM
Full on stiffy.... now through draft weekend.

Co sign...

JFLO
04-13-2010, 09:44 AM
ESPN/Florida Times-Union are both reporting that Dez Bryant has been dropped entirely off the Jaguars' Big Board.

Just a tidbit of news and it's interesting to think if any other teams have done the same thing, whether it's due to character concerns or bust potential.

At least we know one place he's not going...

Splat
04-13-2010, 03:02 PM
Cerrato joins ESPN draft team (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/13/cerrato-joins-espn-draft-team/)

Former Redskins Executive VP and Vinny Cerrato will provide analysis (http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/vinny_cerrato_to_offer_draft_c.html) for ESPN Radio during the NFL Draft alongside John Clayton and host Freddie Coleman.

04-13-2010, 03:21 PM
The San Francisco Chronicle's David White "keeps hearing more and more" that the Raiders will indeed draft Maryland LT Bruce Campbell at No. 8 overall.

White is no longer the Raiders beat reporter, so we're taking this report with a grain of salt. Has Al Davis really gotten this predictable with his early first-round picks? After selecting JaMarcus Russell, Darren McFadden, and Darrius Heyward-Bey the past three years, it certainly seems that way.

Source: David White on Twitter (http://twitter.com/bydavidwhite/status/12113611554)

Splat
04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
Make your own mock draft as part of ESPN.com’s SportsNation 2010 NFL Draft Machine. (http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/features/draftmachine/) It’s a cool opportunity and should be a hoot as the draft approaches.

I didn't word the above I never would have used the word "hoot"...

Splat
04-13-2010, 08:05 PM
Draft Flashback: 14 years later, Ray Lewis still a beast (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-draftflashbackyearsl)

CC.SD
04-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Honestly last year was the last time I used my 'Raiders can't possibly draft this guy so high just on measurables' line. I believe this 100%. Watch the **** out if OTs start going early.

Splat
04-13-2010, 08:28 PM
Eric Berry was just on ESPN he is so dreamy.

LookItsAlDavis
04-13-2010, 08:42 PM
If the Raiders draft Bruce Campbell, I'm telling all of my friends to get the **** out of my house, so they won't see me sit in a corner and cry all night.

BeerBaron
04-13-2010, 10:19 PM
If the Raiders draft Bruce Campbell, I'm telling all of my friends to get the **** out of my house, so they won't see me sit in a corner and cry all night.

I feel for you man, I really do.....but after DHB last year, I have no doubt that they won't draft Campbell. I'd normally say something like "I'd hope they're smarter than that..." or something, but no. It's pretty clear that they're not, lol

Mr. Goosemahn
04-13-2010, 10:22 PM
More than 10 teams have taken Dez Bryant off their draft boards.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/13/more-than-10-teams-have-taken-dez-bryant-off-their-draft-boards/

However, it only takes one...

keylime_5
04-14-2010, 11:52 AM
The Gruden segments on sportscenter with the draft's top QBs are awesome. I've seen him with Bradford, Tebow, and McCoy. Great stuff. Gruden told McCoy he needs to get rid of his southern accent so people could understand his playcalls in the huddle.

SenorGato
04-14-2010, 12:35 PM
More than 10 teams have taken Dez Bryant off their draft boards.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/04/13/more-than-10-teams-have-taken-dez-bryant-off-their-draft-boards/

However, it only takes one...

It'd be funny if it was because someone in the top 7 was planning to take him.

I never believe this stuff though...heard the same thing about Crabtree last year and he plummeted all the way to 10.

JFLO
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
God I ******* hate ESPN, they do those "OTC" specials and they talk about baseball more than they do the draft....retards

Splat
04-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Has any one else noticed that pretty much any time Schefter is on ESPN he is not in studio but via satellite (I'm assume his home) what a gig he has.

yourfavestoner
04-14-2010, 03:35 PM
Has any one else noticed that pretty much any time Schefter is on ESPN he is not in studio but via satellite (I'm assume his home) what a gig he has.

Why live in bumfuck Connecticut if you don't have to? Haha

Halsey
04-14-2010, 06:56 PM
Does anyone else think of this when they hear/see Vladimir Ducasse's name?

ZUzK3gWYFjw

I know I do. Best name in the Draft. He should be a guest at the Draft and walk out to the poduim while that music plays. The Rams should take him #1 overall if he'll do that ****.

BaLLiN
04-14-2010, 07:35 PM
I freaking hate this time of year, everyone in my school thinks they know what they're talking about with the draft, and they would get raped on this forum. I occasionally make them look like idiots, but after awhile i realized it was a false hope.

Halsey
04-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I sometimes try to talk Draft with people in school, at work, whatever and the fact is most people just don't follow the Draft very closely. Try to talk to the average person about triangle numbers or positional value, and they'll just give you a blank stare.

BeerBaron
04-14-2010, 08:49 PM
I freaking hate this time of year, everyone in my school thinks they know what they're talking about with the draft, and they would get raped on this forum. I occasionally make them look like idiots, but after awhile i realized it was a false hope.

This is every day of my life. I try to avoid football conversations wherever possible....

marshallb
04-14-2010, 08:52 PM
I've got a couple friends at school who know quite a bit about the draft, sadly both are Packers fans, but they're pretty good fans. While they know quite a bit, they don't know near as much as most or probably even the average person on here(at least I don't think so), but it's fun to talk a little draft with some people in person.

Wootylicous
04-14-2010, 08:53 PM
I had a draft discussion once with a Dolphins fan. He thought Pat White was a great QB and I stopped the convo immediatly.

marshallb
04-14-2010, 09:10 PM
I had a draft discussion once with a Dolphins fan. He thought Pat White was a great QB and I stopped the convo immediatly.

I've heard them say some stupid things, especially homer things about the Packers, but generally they're quite knowledgeable.

BaLLiN
04-14-2010, 09:11 PM
I'll agree that some know their ****, most of the people i talk to who do are eagles fans ironically. But i have like 10ish vikings fans in my school and some of them want Tim Teebow in the first, i just find it funny that if anyone had a mock with Teebow to the vikings even in round 2, they would get ass raped by all people who remotely care about the vikings.

JFLO
04-14-2010, 10:18 PM
I've got a couple friends at school who know quite a bit about the draft, sadly both are Packers fans, but they're pretty good fans. While they know quite a bit, they don't know near as much as most or probably even the average person on here(at least I don't think so), but it's fun to talk a little draft with some people in person.

The definite best thing to do is to make bets with people about the draft...

I've won at least $200 in draft bets, the highest being a $50 one that Troy Smith wouldn't be drafted in the 1st round of his draft. I also bet some $20 that Beanie Wells wouldn't go Top 10.

I love the Buckeyes and am a future alum, but I know that some guys are good, but some guys aren't that good, haha.

BeerBaron
04-14-2010, 10:22 PM
See, I have this like, personal principle, where I don't bet on things I have no influence over, because anything can happen in the world. Seriously.

But I could probably make a **** ton of money with some of the draft knowledge-lacking football fans around here....

...but it only takes one team to do something stupid and say, draft Tim Tebow with the #9 pick, to cost you a bunch of money (and pride.) I don't like risking it....

derza222
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
See, I have this like, personal principle, where I don't bet on things I have no influence over, because anything can happen in the world. Seriously.

But I could probably make a **** ton of money with some of the draft knowledge-lacking football fans around here....

...but it only takes one team to do something stupid and say, draft Tim Tebow with the #9 pick, to cost you a bunch of money (and pride.) I don't like risking it....

You can generally tell though, I mean that Troy Smith thing was pretty much a lock. Tebow's a guy I wouldn't want to bet on at all because his draft range is so wide.

I was recently asked about the Jets trade for Santonio Holmes, and the guy I was talking to called him "San Antonio Holmes" a bunch of times and also wanted to understand the rationale behind the trade. Tough not to laugh, especially with how terribly off the pronunciation was.

BeerBaron
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, Smith was definitely a safe bet in that case. I don't think I know of anyone (or at least talk football with anyone) quite that football ********...

I'm having a lot of fun with the Holmes and Big Ben craziness in Steelers-land though, lol. I went on my facebook feed right after I heard that trade announced and had a good laugh at how many people were pissed, and was also surprised by the people who thought it was a good move.....but not for the right reasons....

gpngc
04-14-2010, 10:37 PM
RANDOM...

Let's find the Jags a dance partner for a trade at #10.

-Seahawks, 49ers, or Packers move up for C.J. Spiller (leapfrog Dolphins, 49ers, Seahawks).
-Giants move up for Rolando McClain (leapfrog Broncos).
-Patriots, Ravens, Bengals, or Falcons move up for Dez Bryant.
-Texans, Steelers, Titans, or Eagles move up for Joe Haden (or Earl Thomas).

BeerBaron
04-14-2010, 10:41 PM
I think the Jags are in a terrible spot....the most elite players will be gone, and the draft is so deep nearly all across the board that I don't think teams will be clamoring to move up for the 2nd tier of talent guys.

04-14-2010, 10:44 PM
I think the Jags are in a terrible spot....the most elite players will be gone, and the draft is so deep nearly all across the board that I don't think teams will be clamoring to move up for the 2nd tier of talent guys.

Perfect opportunity to go for the homerun pick -> JPP

I'm not entirely sold they do it, though. I'm not getting that feeling from what I've read.

BeerBaron
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Perfect opportunity to go for the homerun pick -> JPP

I'm not entirely sold they do it, though. I'm not getting that feeling from what I've read.

JPP could be the pick there....certainly has the ceiling to justify being a top 10 pick. But it really seems like they've invested heavily at the DE position in draft picks and free agents dollars in recent years....

But they could still address their poor pass rush....get this.....Dan Williams. Unless I'm totally forgetting someone, I can't tell you off the top of my head who they have starting next to Henderson, and they were their most dangerous as a team when they had he and Stroud clogging up the middle.

Plant Williams in there, let him crash the middle of the o-line and free up Henderson and the ends a little more.

Just a random idea....

04-14-2010, 11:03 PM
JPP could be the pick there....certainly has the ceiling to justify being a top 10 pick. But it really seems like they've invested heavily at the DE position in draft picks and free agents dollars in recent years....

But they could still address their poor pass rush....get this.....Dan Williams. Unless I'm totally forgetting someone, I can't tell you off the top of my head who they have starting next to Henderson, and they were their most dangerous as a team when they had he and Stroud clogging up the middle.

Plant Williams in there, let him crash the middle of the o-line and free up Henderson and the ends a little more.

Just a random idea....

Oops, I completely forgot about Kampman lol. I know the organization is high on one of their earlier draft picks from last year, Terrance Knighton, and they have every reason to be based off his play in his rookie season. I'll have to study that situation a little more because I honestly can't tell you at this moment where they might end up going.

Mr.Regular
04-14-2010, 11:05 PM
Terrance Knighton was really good in the middle for the Jags last year. He was a stud rookie, so they're not going to go DT.

I'm having a hard time mocking for the Jaguars... I think I've decided against a DE. I'm on the fence between McClain and Thomas. I don't see McClain as a good fit for them, but something tells me his intagibles and leadership qualities combined with ILB being a big need for Jacksonville make him the front runner.

PS Im with you guys. I avoid football conversations at all costs... if I do get caught talking football or draft I usually have to dumb myself down big time in order to make the conversation keep going.

gpngc
04-14-2010, 11:08 PM
^I think they'll desperately try to move down.

But if they stay put, I see them going with McClain, Haden, or Spiller in that order.

Apparently they want Ingram and D. Smith playing outside and McClain is the perfect Mike thumper for them.

There's a chance McClain will be gone though...

Flyboy
04-14-2010, 11:10 PM
The only place I talk the draft about is HERE. You'd be foolish to try to do it elsewhere.

MikeTeel
04-14-2010, 11:12 PM
Meh, when people try to talk draft with me (sans a couple), I usually always call them out when they're wrong, because they'd do the same if the situation where reversed. People are dicks. The worst thing is when you get someone who will argue with you even though its obvious they're wrong and have no idea what they're talking about, but they still think they have great knowledge of the draft because they know 5 prospects.

04-14-2010, 11:18 PM
People (usually) respect my opinion and I don't have to prove anything in terms of my draft knowledge anymore. Sometimes you'll get the occasional stupid argument that drags on for a little while until I make 'em look real stupid when I call 'em out on something and then they realize their error five seconds later lol. Overall, I do enjoy educating friends and ppl close to me who happen to be football fans on the draft, and sometimes it's actually very rewarding when you begin to notice progress from those ppl.