PDA

View Full Version : Ryan Matthews predictions

frubulubu
01-24-2010, 03:17 PM
Matthews was outstanding at runningback this year for Fresno State. He is considered a top 5 RB, in this years draft class. Where do you see him playing on sundays?

FrankGore
01-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Maybe New England in round 2. But I can never tell what they're trying to do with their backfield, so who knows.

critesy
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
he would look good in shannys run game i would think.

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 04:30 PM
He could go as early as mid 2nd or as late as late 3rd, in my opinion. That being said, I like the fit in New England as stated. I could Seattle or Washington taking him as well.

CC.SD
01-24-2010, 04:50 PM
Late 2nd to the Chargers would be ideal.

Halsey
01-24-2010, 05:45 PM
I haven't watched Matthews much, but when I was doing a little casual research on him recently his numbers running the ball really jumped off the screen at me. He basically blew up every team he faced this past season. He had huge games vs Boise State and Illinois.

FrankGore
01-24-2010, 05:50 PM
He has a way of picking his way through traffic and exploding for huge plays. Very good feet and a strong runner. Serious home run hitter.

Unfortunately for him, less and less teams need backs every year. Looking at the draft order this year, it'll be hard for him to find a home early unless some team makes a luxury pick and takes him to boost their backfield. Teams just have far more pressing needs.

tjsunstein
01-24-2010, 05:52 PM
He has a way of picking his way through traffic and exploding for huge plays. Very good feet and a strong runner. Serious home run hitter.

Unfortunately for him, less and less teams need backs every year. Looking at the draft order this year, it'll be hard for him to find a home early unless some team makes a luxury pick and takes him to boost their backfield. Teams just have far more pressing needs.

I disagree with this. Teams are moving further and further away from using just one feature back each year.

critesy
01-24-2010, 06:22 PM
#4 pick of round 4 :) ?

frubulubu
01-24-2010, 06:56 PM
#4 pick of round 4 :) ?

I dont see him going past the third round. If he would slip to the third, I could see the Lions taking him.

critesy
01-24-2010, 08:03 PM
I dont see him going past the third round. If he would slip to the third, I could see the Lions taking him.
lions have kevin smith and first year player aaron brown dont they ?

eagles6606
01-24-2010, 08:26 PM
Would look good in an Eagles uniform!

Scotty D
01-24-2010, 08:43 PM
On the CBS pregame show today Charlie Casserly had him listed as a first rounder

yarcraft3
01-24-2010, 09:08 PM
Ryan Matthews and Kevin Smith are pretty similar backs aren't they? I hope the Lions don't draft him. Kevin Smith was projected a 2nd to 3rd round back. IMO, that would be fair grade for Matthews as well.

frubulubu
01-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Ryan Matthews and Kevin Smith are pretty similar backs aren't they? I hope the Lions don't draft him. Kevin Smith was projected a 2nd to 3rd round back. IMO, that would be fair grade for Matthews as well.

Matthews and Smith are not the same type of backs. You should go on youtube, and you will see the difference.

brat316
01-24-2010, 10:21 PM
Yeah how come there isn't much Matthews hype? This guy did amazing during the season yet you barely hear about him, even amongst us.

BaLLiN
01-24-2010, 10:23 PM
Yeah how come there isn't much Matthews hype? This guy did amazing during the season yet you barely hear about him, even amongst us.

prob cause fresno hasnt been good. i havent seen a televised game of theirs for awhile, although i am in jersey. I think hes mid 2nd EDIT: at this point

01-24-2010, 10:23 PM

Injuries because everything I see on tape suggests he's a first round pick.

brat316
01-24-2010, 10:30 PM
I think Matthews and Dwyer are probably 2 of the most complete backs coming into the class. One will go late first other one probably early second.

Dwyer will probably go in the first, I think he sneaks in there like Donald Brown.

FUNBUNCHER
01-24-2010, 10:53 PM
Reminds me of Matt Forte. He looks like a complete RB except for great speed.

01-24-2010, 10:55 PM
Reminds me of Matt Forte. He looks like a complete RB except for great speed.

I'm not sure what you've seen of him, but he can fly. I wouldn't consider speed an issue at all. Much faster than Forte ever was.

TACKLE
01-24-2010, 11:30 PM
He reminds me of a more explosive Pierre Thomas.

TitansCJftw
01-24-2010, 11:41 PM
he kind of reminds me of kevin jones when he was at virginia tech(particularly his 2003 season), i dont really like the forte/smith comparisons
edit:i think he can definitely be a better pro though

FUNBUNCHER
01-25-2010, 12:14 AM
I'm not sure what you've seen of him, but he can fly. I wouldn't consider speed an issue at all. Much faster than Forte ever was.

He doesn't look like he has the speed of a young Ladanian Tomlinson or a Marshall Faulk, IMO, which doesn't mean he's slow, just not those kinds of wheels.

D-Unit
01-25-2010, 12:16 AM
On the CBS pregame show today Charlie Casserly had him listed as a first rounder
...and this is why he is no longer a GM.

ElectricEye
01-25-2010, 12:17 AM
He doesn't look like he has the speed of a young Ladanian Tomlinson or a Marshall Faulk, IMO, which doesn't mean he's slow, just not those kinds of wheels.

Then why even bring them up? No point in even mentioning two guys who were all time fast in a conversation just to say someone is nothing like them.

Ryan Matthews is my one of my favorite backs in this draft class. He's a good combination of speed, power, and vision. He'll probably run an above average time and be drafted in the high second round because of injury/level of competition concerns, but drop one of those and he's a first round talent. Defiantly a guy I see starting at some point and possibly making an early impact.

BrabbitMcRabbit
01-25-2010, 12:19 AM
Late 1st-Late 2nd.

FUNBUNCHER
01-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Then why even bring them up? No point in even mentioning two guys who were all time fast in a conversation just to say someone is nothing like them.

Ryan Matthews is my one of my favorite backs in this draft class. He's a good combination of speed, power, and vision. He'll probably run an above average time and be drafted in the high second round because of injury/level of competition concerns, but drop one of those and he's a first round talent. Defiantly a guy I see starting at some point and possibly making an early impact.

619 said basically Matthews could fly, to me he looks like a solid all around back except for great speed, like Matt Forte was.
Whatever, it would be the same if I compared Matthews to a young Clinton Portis; it's not a knock, just a comparison to illustrate why IMO Matthews is not quite a blue clip pro prospect.

ElectricEye
01-25-2010, 12:46 AM
619 said basically Matthews could fly, to me he looks like a solid all around back except for great speed, like Matt Forte was.
Whatever, it would be the same if I compared Matthews to a young Clinton Portis; it's not a knock, just a comparison to illustrate why IMO Matthews is not quite a blue clip pro prospect.

Still, no point really.

As far as Matthews and speed goes, he's a mid 4.4 guy I think. Plays damn fast too.

energizerbunny
01-30-2010, 12:25 PM
he is a 3rd rounder at best, his legs go dead on contact..... and he isn't fast enough to ignore that fact.

Spartan4224
01-30-2010, 12:48 PM
lions have kevin smith and first year player aaron brown dont they ?

Smith probably won't be 100% healthy until 2011 and they kind of gave up on Brown towards the end of the year. However, Morris did good for them after Smith got hurt.