PDA

View Full Version : Patrick Trahan; OLB - Ole Miss???

TheDirtyWord
01-26-2010, 11:12 PM
Didn't see a thread on him. His story i spretty interesting. Stud recruit that went to Auburn who was actually ripping it up, but became academically ineligible due to a then undiagnosed learning disability, dysgraphia. His plight has actually been well documented, but in essense, his LD made it difficult for him to put his thoughts into written word.

Anyway, he wound up enrolling in JC and then went on to Ole Miss and in his senior season became a lynchpin of their defense.

Was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on him? Seems like a kid whose had to overcome quite a bit and emerged finally as a decent prospect. But he's generating little buzz - no combine invite.

Is he draftable, a diamond in the rough?

Don Vito
01-26-2010, 11:53 PM
He's a really good looking 4-3 Will prospect, is about 6-3 230 with amazing athleticism. He could use a little more beef but his potential is great, he had a super senior season and finished it off with a big Cotton Bowl. He went to Auburn as a safety and as you said made some big plays as a freshman, he should do really well in postseason workouts. He was the most impressive player for us this summer, he tested through the roof and stepped up for our defense.

Definitely draftable, if he puts up big workout numbers like I think he will he could see his stock soar.

critesy
01-27-2010, 01:15 AM
love trahan at auburn and is definitely a baller at Ole Miss. mid rounder who has a chance to move up with his workout numbers.

BeerBaron
01-27-2010, 01:27 AM
Dysgraphia...now that's interesting. How does something like that go undiagnosed all the way until college though?

FUNBUNCHER
01-27-2010, 06:15 AM
How well will he be able to execute the responsibilities of an OLB in a sophisticated, complex NFL defense with a learning disability??

Measurables are great, but I hope analytically he can handle the playbook. Otherwise, he's gonna be a career backup and ST.

TheDirtyWord
01-27-2010, 08:09 AM
How well will he be able to execute the responsibilities of an OLB in a sophisticated, complex NFL defense with a learning disability??

Measurables are great, but I hope analytically he can handle the playbook. Otherwise, he's gonna be a career backup and ST.

See that's the thing. His LD really is not applicable to football. I believe he once IQ tested at 130. He excelled in classes where translating thoughts to paper wasn't required.

That said, I don't know the extent to which his LD would affect him in football - can he take notes? But I got the impression, this was not something that would be a problem.

Don Vito
01-27-2010, 12:32 PM
He was the leader of our defense this year and the coaches loved him. I don't think that disability effects him much football-wise. He has great talent but anyone who has seen him play knows he is an instinctive linebacker who makes big plays, I think he'll succeed in the right defense.

SillyRyno
02-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I'd like the Saints to pick him up in the 4th round or so. They need LB help.

zachsaints52
02-01-2010, 09:09 AM
I'd like the Saints to pick him up in the 4th round or so. They need LB help.

We will address OLB way before the 4th, but adding a 2nd OLB wouldn't be bad at all. Scouting report anybody?

RealityCheck
02-01-2010, 09:16 AM
Somebody will take him on the 5th or so.

Don Vito
02-01-2010, 12:11 PM
We will address OLB way before the 4th, but adding a 2nd OLB wouldn't be bad at all. Scouting report anybody?

He has good height and is an excellent athlete, he really can run for a linebacker. He needs to add some weight and strength though. Was our best LB this year and is a real playmaker, he played on the strongside and weakside for us but probably will mainly get looked at on the weakside in the NFL. His strengths are coverage and blitzing, what he needs to work on is getting bigger and getting off blocks.

He was recruited as a safety and made an immediate impact on special teams there, he could be a very good NFL special teamer. He is a project at LB but he has big upside, right now he is a mid rounder but he could really boost his stock in post season workouts.

zachsaints52
02-01-2010, 12:23 PM
He has good height and is an excellent athlete, he really can run for a linebacker. He needs to add some weight and strength though. Was our best LB this year and is a real playmaker, he played on the strongside and weakside for us but probably will mainly get looked at on the weakside in the NFL. His strengths are coverage and blitzing, what he needs to work on is getting bigger and getting off blocks.

He was recruited as a safety and made an immediate impact on special teams there, he could be a very good NFL special teamer. He is a project at LB but he has big upside, right now he is a mid rounder but he could really boost his stock in post season workouts.

Sounds good. 4th to Saints it is.

descendency
02-01-2010, 12:50 PM
Dysgraphia...now that's interesting. How does something like that go undiagnosed all the way until college though?

Because no high school in the US gives a care about actual learning and education.