PDA

View Full Version : Russell Okung

SloppyJoe
01-28-2010, 07:22 AM
Hi everybody...

I'm new to this board.
i read it for a very long time and now i decided to post.

i'm a fan of the tampa bay buccaneers and i try to figure out if Russel Okung is a possibility at #3.
how is he comparable to other top OT prospects from past drafts like Jason Smith, Joe Thomas, D'brick Ferguson and so on.

Thank you in advance

!!! GO BUCS !!!

stephenson86
01-28-2010, 07:35 AM
Id say he isnt as good but he is still a top OT to come out and will make a team very happy, if the bucs need a T badly he is definately worth the pick

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Eugene Monroe a decent comparison?

stephenson86
01-28-2010, 07:48 AM
Eugene Monroe a decent comparison?

id say okung is slightly more solid than monroe in the body, monroe was very long, if that makes sense

JFLO
01-28-2010, 07:57 AM
I like the D'Brick comparison more.

He is the same type of athlete and but I'm not sure if he is as technically sound as Ferguson was coming out of Virginia.

Preston
01-28-2010, 11:13 AM
If going by those 3 tackles (Smith, Ferguson and Thomas), he's probably third, above Thomas, potentially second above Brick. He's a great prospect, and if the Buccaneers are that dire about their tackle situation, he's a slam dunk top 5 worthy pick.

bigbuc
01-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Tampa Bay doesn't need a LT... We have a good one not top 5 but top 10ish. We need a new RT cause Trueblood sucks. Our line problems this year came from us trying to put in the zone blocking system when our guys fit a power run game with pulling guards. Late in the season we made the move back to the power game and the line did a very good job.

CC.SD
01-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Less polished D'brick is my comparison too. Not an eye popping prospect, would take any of the top OT prospects of the lsat few years over him.

Splat
01-28-2010, 12:06 PM
I have seen alot of mock's have the Chiefs taking him at #5 and I just don't feel he is worth that kinda money.

djp
01-28-2010, 12:37 PM
Less polished D'brick is my comparison too. Not an eye popping prospect, would take any of the top OT prospects of the lsat few years over him.

Even Jason Smith?

I am still an Okung fan. I think we were all spoiled by the awesomeness that was the tackle class of last year with Monroe, Oher, A. Smith at the top, and the great depth in the 2nd as well.

ElectricEye
01-28-2010, 12:42 PM

Agree with this. Okung is good, but he's a top twenty pick in recent drafts, not a top ten as he is now. I think there's still the possibility of him being usurped by the end of the process by one of the underclassmen if things fall right.

Preston
01-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Even Jason Smith?

I am still an Okung fan. I think we were all spoiled by the awesomeness that was the tackle class of last year with Monroe, Oher, A. Smith at the top, and the great depth in the 2nd as well.

I still don't know why Jason Smith got drafted at No. 2 overall, he was extremely overrated by most people. He was never higher then my third tackle overall, although last year was such an amazing tackle class.

And as I stated earlier in this thread, I'm a big fan of Okung as well. When I put on the tape, I see a solid body with elite footwork. I love him in both pass protection and as a run blocker.

Buc Baller12
01-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I hope Detroit gets him cause i want McCoy

CC.SD
01-28-2010, 01:08 PM
I still don't know why Jason Smith got drafted at No. 2 overall, he was extremely overrated by most people. He was never higher then my third tackle overall, although last year was such an amazing tackle class.

Smith had an extremely high ceiling but after he said he wanted to assault people on the football field, that was all she wrote :)

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 01:21 PM
Smith had an extremely high ceiling but after he said he wanted to assault people on the football field, that was all she wrote :)

Yeah I think he came across the best he possibly could have pre-draft. His bite didn't appear to match his bark this year. Oh well, rookies have rookie seasons.

CC.SD
01-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Yeah I think he came across the best he possibly could have pre-draft. His bite didn't appear to match his bark this year. Oh well, rookies have rookie seasons.

I think he was injured? Alas I'm not as in tune with the Rams as I should be, but I do recall he had a serious issue that may have even endangered his career, although I think that part of it blew over. Either way he was not exactly the picture of health.

NGSeiler
01-28-2010, 01:35 PM

I think he was injured? Alas I'm not as in tune with the Rams as I should be, but I do recall he had a serious issue that may have even endangered his career, although I think that part of it blew over. Either way he was not exactly the picture of health.

He suffered a concussion in late November and failed a couple baseline tests that basically kept him out the rest of the season. He was cleared in late December to return to practice, got on the practice field, but there was no point risking him with that injury given the season. I'm not sure anyone in the organization ever classified the injury as career threatening; that sounds more like fan or media speculation. He's expected to take over the LT job in 2010.

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 01:55 PM

I didn't know about that. I know early on in the season he didn't look that great and at one point I thought I read he was moved to RT. But if he got a concussion and had to sit out that would explain it.

descendency
01-28-2010, 01:57 PM
The Bucs would be better off taking Gerald McCoy or Ndamukong Suh if available.

If not then it's a battle between Eric Berry and Russell Okung. And that vastly depends on your belief in positional value versus prospect value.

YAYareaRB
01-28-2010, 02:34 PM
I think Okung's game has been over analyzed

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 02:47 PM

I think so too, I think he is this year's Laurinaitis, though Okung probably won't drop like he did.

Iamcanadian
01-28-2010, 07:51 PM
He is head and shoulders above last year's tackle crop but this is a much stronger overall draft so he could fall to the 6-10 area although he is definitely in the running for a top 5 spot. Just have to see how he pans out at the combine.

JFLO
01-28-2010, 08:02 PM
He is head and shoulders above last year's tackle crop but this is a much stronger overall draft so he could fall to the 6-10 area although he is definitely in the running for a top 5 spot. Just have to see how he pans out at the combine.

He isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. He is the current #1 guy, but I think it is looking more and more like Anthony Davis will end up being the first offensive tackle taken in April.

LonghornsLegend
01-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Jason Smith deserved every bit of hype he got when you put on his film, he was super athletic and could put his man on his back then move to the 2nd and 3rd levels in a breeze to attack someone else downfield. Great feet, very quick, long arms, huge, he's got all the tools and then some to develop into an elite LT, he wasn't overrated at all. He may not of played as good as a rookie as Oher or Clady but let's not try and base his entire career off of it just yet.

Okung doesn't even hold a candle to Jason Smith. If he came out last year he's getting drafted mid 20's, but LT's are a commodity that teams have to have so when your the highest rated one that drives your stock up. I think he can be a pro bowler but if your looking for alot of traits that lead you to believe he can be a dominant LT he doesn't have very many.

Okung reminds of of Jason Smith in that he can get to that next level with ease and shouldn't have much of a problem vs speed rushers but he still didn't jump out at you on tape in this regards like Jason Smith. His foot speed was nowhere near as good, and he didn't have that initial punch or drive that Jason Smith constantly had when he latched onto a defender.

His problem is going to be with bull-rushers mostly I think, he didn't show as much of a complete game as you'd like to see. He's got all the traits to be a good LT but if he is asked to play RT as a rookie he'll probably struggle.

J-Mike88
01-28-2010, 08:17 PM
He isn't head and shoulders above everyone else. He is the current #1 guy, but I think it is looking more and more like Anthony Davis will end up being the first offensive tackle taken in April.
That's a very bold statement.
And I like it. :cool:

Brent
01-28-2010, 09:04 PM
we'll take him at 13 ;)

YAYareaRB
01-28-2010, 10:07 PM
we'll take him at 13 ;)

Yeah exactly.. If he's gonna slide like Oher did, we had better take him.

CC.SD
01-28-2010, 10:12 PM
we'll take him at 13 ;)

This would lead to a really stellar pass protecting OT combo up there in SF with Staley, but I'm not sure it's the setup Frank Gore would approve of. Value wise you couldn't do much better though.

Okung would definitely eliminate the last vestiges of excuses for Alex Smith's inconsistency. The targets are there, the protection would be there, even the outlet receivers are nice. I think right now SF is sitting where the Cardinals were a few seasons ago where they are waiting for that sparkplug to truly explode offensively, and that it'll happen sooner rather than later.

YAYareaRB
01-28-2010, 10:47 PM
where they are waiting for that sparkplug to truly explode offensively, and that it'll happen sooner rather than later.

Why not sooner?

http://djrebel.files.wordpress.com/2009/01/51ab0f1d6f2d4b1cb2a8fcd6cf6a6b851.jpg

nobodyinparticular
01-28-2010, 10:55 PM
What do you guys think of a Chris Samuels to Russell Okung comparison? Samuels is a bit heavier, but Okung seems to be closer to him in thickness as opposed to a guy like D'Brick.

TACKLE
01-28-2010, 11:07 PM
What do you guys think of a Chris Samuels to Russell Okung comparison? Samuels is a bit heavier, but Okung seems to be closer to him in thickness as opposed to a guy like D'Brick.

I made that comparison a long time ago and I still believe it to be true. Samuels was a better prospect but I do see a lot of similarities between him and Okung.

HawkeyeFan
01-28-2010, 11:23 PM
Regarding Jason Smith;
a) Jason Smith is still raw, and has an extremely high ceiling, he was drafted where he should have been. Big, athletic, powerful, long arms, and an extreme demeanor.
b) When Jason Smith played this season ( and keep in mind I don't ever watch offensive lineman ) he was a very fun player to watch. He's got a real nasty streak and was a beast on the field. In the run game, he was playing at a very high level, he attacked defenders and made it hell. He was OK at first in pass blocking, but steadily improved. I think after he got embarrassed by Dwight Freeney that his eyes really woke up.

He, as Nick said, suffered a concussion in late November. And suffering a concussion like he did, doesn't create a "injury prone" label, it can happen to anyone. He was cleared a week before seasons end to practice and didn't play.

Jason Smith is going to have a very, very good career. He wasn't overrated, he was rated perfectly.