PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Spikes

Bengals78
01-28-2010, 12:59 PM
What is his projected 40 right now?
I have heard it could really drop near 5.
Any truth to that?

GoRavens
01-28-2010, 01:06 PM
I predict a 4.85-4.90 range. He's not 5.0 slow..

Bengals78
01-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Well a 4.9 is near it lol.

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 01:19 PM
No way he is that slow. Come on. That is offensive lineman slow. He's got to be 4.75 at least.

ThePudge
01-28-2010, 01:31 PM
No way he is that slow. Come on. That is offensive lineman slow. He's got to be 4.75 at least.

Only the most athletic Offensive Linemen hover around 5.0. I'd say somewhere around 4.78-4.84 for Spikes.

descendency
01-28-2010, 01:53 PM
I doubt he hits 4.9. He's a fairly big playmaker in a very fast florida defense. Florida is probably the fastest defense in college football. I'd say high 4.7s

thenewfeature06
01-28-2010, 01:58 PM
According to scout.com he ran a 4.72 in high school and he isn't a guy who can get faster while building his body strenth, Id say 4.85-4.9.

Bengals78
01-28-2010, 02:07 PM
Thanks guys. I knew 5 sounded way too slow but someone said 4.6 which seemed wayyyy too fast.
He seems destined for a 3-4.

Nalej
01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
I could see a 4.70-4.75. I hope he's destined to a 34... hopefully named the Pats :D

FUNBUNCHER
01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
WHo knows??

Look at LSU, annually one of the best Ds in college football, yet recently their LBs have tested very poorly in the 40. Highsmith a few years ago looked like a 4.5 guy on tape, then ran a 4.9 - 5 flat at the combine.
Having decent instincts and being able to flow to the ball close to the LOS can disguise a lack of pure speed.

If Spikes breaks 4.8, he's going to make himself a lot of money on draft day.

But with his height ( approximately 6'4) and those long legs, I would not be shocked by a pathetic 40 from him.

YAYareaRB
01-28-2010, 02:41 PM
WHo knows??

Look at LSU, annually one of the best Ds in college football, yet recently their LBs have tested very poorly in the 40. Highsmith a few years ago looked like a 4.5 guy on tape, then ran a 4.9 - 5 flat at the combine.
Having decent instincts and being able to flow to the ball close to the LOS can disguise a lack of pure speed.

If Spikes breaks 4.8, he's going to make himself a lot of money on draft day.

But with his height ( approximately 6'4) and those long legs, I would not be shocked by a pathetic 40 from him.

Don't forget Perry Riley and his 4.8-4.9 runnin ass. I swear LSU always has solid playmakers playing Linebacker but they are slow as **** when they have to run the 40. I wish the 40 wasn't so relevant when determining a players worth.

killxswitch
01-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Only the most athletic Offensive Linemen hover around 5.0. I'd say somewhere around 4.78-4.84 for Spikes.

Still no 1st day LB draft pick should ever be slower than an OLman. I'm sticking with a 4.75 prediction.

fear the elf
01-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Still no 1st day LB draft pick should ever be slower than an OLman. I'm sticking with a 4.75 prediction.

Well I'm hoping he's a second day pick. Say, around #39.

wogitalia
01-28-2010, 07:06 PM
His 10 and 20 yard splits are far more important. Honestly, if a linebacker, especially a middle linebacker, ever has to run 40 yards on a play it was a monumental fuckup.

I expect that Spikes will time fairly elitely in those splits and that his longer speed is going to be pretty "pathetic". I've never watched him play and thought that he looked slow whilst in close and when evaluating LBs, that is what is by far the most relevant measure.

Jakey
01-28-2010, 07:13 PM
Not a beasty example...but Clark Haggans (exSteeler/Cardinal) who has put up some decent stats in his career. He was an edge/speed rusher...coing out of college he ran a 5.0 flat! Timed speed doesnt mean a whole lot to some players. If Spikes ran a 4.8, thatd be plenty good enough for a thumping ILB in my opinion.

AgentM
01-29-2010, 02:49 PM
Not a beasty example...but Clark Haggans (exSteeler/Cardinal) who has put up some decent stats in his career. He was an edge/speed rusher...coing out of college he ran a 5.0 flat! Timed speed doesnt mean a whole lot to some players. If Spikes ran a 4.8, thatd be plenty good enough for a thumping ILB in my opinion.

Good point. James Farrior also isn't the quickest guy in the world, but he's had a pretty successful career. Spikes might be a good fit as his replacment in the middle for the Steelers.

Also, love your Sig, Hayley is gorgeous! :D

Babylon
01-29-2010, 05:36 PM
James Laurinaitis ran around a low 4.8 at the comine and improved it to a 4.7 at his pro day. I think Spikes is probably a similar player in terms of upside and speed and could see him going early to mid round 2.

brasho
01-29-2010, 05:48 PM
We could sit here and talk about what a Florida player COULD run but I remember a few years back when there were two supposedly fast players from two teams thought to be extremely fast on defense, Earl Everett from Florida and Rufus Alexander... I can't remember what either of these undersized "speedy" LBs ran... but it was far closer to 5.0 than 4.7.. I think they were in the 4.83-4.95 range. Both players went undrafted after being mocked as high as the early 2nd round earlier.

Then there's the player that Spikes reminded me of coming out of college, UVa's Kai Parham, a big rugged ILB that wasn't expected to run very well but was expected to be pretty good anyways... he ran something like a 5.01 and went undrafted.

brasho
01-29-2010, 05:50 PM
Of course Brandon Siler wasn't completely different than Spikes and he too was expect to run slowly and he ran off a something in the high 4.6s. Of course he was drafted in round 7.

yourfavestoner
01-29-2010, 05:51 PM
Good point. James Farrior also isn't the quickest guy in the world, but he's had a pretty successful career. Spikes might be a good fit as his replacment in the middle for the Steelers.

Also, love your Sig, Hayley is gorgeous! :D

My gf looks exactly like Haley so BOOM!

yourfavestoner
01-29-2010, 05:55 PM
We could sit here and talk about what a Florida player COULD run but I remember a few years back when there were two supposedly fast players from two teams thought to be extremely fast on defense, Earl Everett from Florida and Rufus Alexander... I can't remember what either of these undersized "speedy" LBs ran... but it was far closer to 5.0 than 4.7.. I think they were in the 4.83-4.95 range. Both players went undrafted after being mocked as high as the early 2nd round earlier.

Then there's the player that Spikes reminded me of coming out of college, UVa's Kai Parham, a big rugged ILB that wasn't expected to run very well but was expected to be pretty good anyways... he ran something like a 5.01 and went undrafted.

I remember Kai Parham.
I think he's more Ahmad Brooks than Kai Parham, though. Parham was a very solid guy in his college career but not much of a playmaker. All Spikes does is make plays.

brasho
01-29-2010, 06:04 PM
I remember Kai Parham.
I think he's more Ahmad Brooks than Kai Parham, though. Parham was a very solid guy in his college career but not much of a playmaker. All Spikes does is make plays.

That's almost an insult. I thought Kai was better than Ahmad, aside from measurables. Brooks had a ton of hype and little substance (other than abuse).

keylime_5
01-29-2010, 06:08 PM
4.8 is nothing to be ashamed of from a MLB. Especially on that slow Lucas Oil Stadium turf. Anything below 4.9 will probably hurt his stock though. It's not like Spikes' game is all about being super fast and flying all over the field like Patrick Willis though.

SplitOTE
01-29-2010, 11:10 PM
That's almost an insult. I thought Kai was better than Ahmad, aside from measurables. Brooks had a ton of hype and little substance (other than abuse)..

he was actually a very good rush end for the 49ers this season, plenty of force fumbles as well

TACKLE
01-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Spikes definitely plays a lot faster than a 4.9. You can see his speed and acceleration when they use him as a rusher. I've seen him make some good LT's (Andre Smith) look silly with pure speed. He may not run a great time but he's more explosive than he gets credit for. There are a lot of things to really like about Spikes but in this LB class, he is probably the biggest playmaker in this group. Also, he is exceptional at shedding blocks which is a trait most young LB's are lacking. He may be limitd to a 3-4 ILB and I could easily see him falling in the draft like Dan Connor, Poz, Maualuga and Laurenitas did. With that being said, I still see him being very solid player in the league and a guy who can bring some toughness and energy to your defense.

wogitalia
01-29-2010, 11:48 PM
Spikes definitely plays a lot faster than a 4.9.

I don't think he does. That's the thing with 40s, they show exactly what they are, how fast a guy can run 40 yards in a straight line. I honestly think from a football standpoint that the 10 and 20 yard splits tell you a lot more, especially for positions like RB, LB, DE and TE. 40 is by far most relevant for WR and CB and even then, not all that much.

arizona_cards_11
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
It's probably going to depend on if he gets distracted by eyes to gouge.

But in all seriousness.....10yd/20yd splits should be the main category of focus.

StaticGator
02-03-2010, 08:57 AM
Of course Brandon Siler wasn't completely different than Spikes and he too was expect to run slowly and he ran off a something in the high 4.6s. Of course he was drafted in round 7.

Siler was a great in the box run defender and had pretty good straight line speed, but tested "stiff" and in general didn't have the kind of range in coverage Spikes has. While a flawed player, he was still drafted way too low. He should have been a 4th round pick and I think his play for the Chargers would support that kind of investment.

YAYareaRB
02-03-2010, 09:09 AM
I'm tellin' you he's a clone of Channing Crowder

StaticGator
02-03-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm tellin' you he's a clone of Channing Crowder

Crowder is a pretty good comparison athletically, but he didn't have the instincts, discipline, nor leadership of Spikes. Crowder was constantly out of position and trying to do too much. He was also a knucklehead. The Gators defense played better when he was out and Siler replaced him. Spikes has much better football awareness and discipline. He's really the best of both worlds, the athletic gifts of Crowder with the leadership of Siler.

yourfavestoner
02-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Crowder is a pretty good comparison athletically, but he didn't have the instincts, discipline, nor leadership of Spikes. Crowder was constantly out of position and trying to do too much. He was also a knucklehead. The Gators defense played better when he was out and Siler replaced him. Spikes has much better football awareness and discipline. He's really the best of both worlds, the athletic gifts of Crowder with the leadership of Siler.

Yup, this pretty much sums it up, except Spikes is also much bigger than both of him.

Also, Siler's starting to carve out a nice little career for himself down in San Diego.

ThePudge
02-03-2010, 03:54 PM
Posted this in my draft thread, but it applies here as well.

- Brandon Spikes is getting pretty low on my board, compared to most. Right now, Spikes strikes me as an average athlete and a good football player. He didn't have the strongest season this year for the Gators after being hyped as a perhaps the nation's top linebacker. In 2009, Spikes didn't make as many plays (the big plays and the little plays), showed he struggled to change direction and run in space, and finished with only 3.5 TFL in the run game, disappointing considering his reputation.

He'll play tall, he'll play tight, he doesn't play sideline to sideline like an elite linebacker, and his acceleration can leave something to be desired. I think Spikes' is just a very average NFL athlete. He struggles to change directions in space coming downfield and moving laterally. He's not as physical to engage as some make him out to be, as often times he will take himself out of a play by not running through blockers, but around them. There is concern out there about his weight room strength and functional strength. With his long arms and build, I'd keep an eye on Brandon Spikes, as I'm not sure he'll put that bar up more than 17-20 times. This isn't a big deal, but it's something to keep in the corner of your eye when considering the transition from college to NFL.

He's a smart player with complete knowledge of his system and of zone coverage schemes defensively. In the NFL though, he will struggle sinking his hips and running with more athletic Tight Ends than he sees on a day to day basis in college. His instincts rank as some of the best in the country, and he more often than not, takes good angles to the ball. I think he'll make a good 3-4 ILB playing in front of a large, disruptive NT. He's at his best when he's set lose to find the ball, and can get a free lane. He can be a big-time hitter when he lines up his target, but he does play tight in the hips and is often eluded.

I love Spikes' instincts, his size, his ability to carry out assignments in zone coverage, his experience rushing the passer (from the middle and outside), and I love the energy he brings to a defense. Still, I worry about his ability in space, I have major concerns about his hips and feet, his leverage in the run game, his overall strength, and I wonder how his game will adjust facing to the speed of the NFL. Ultimately, I could see Spikes' size (6026e 253e 4.8e) and pass-rushing ability landing him a spot at OLB in a 3-4 scheme, though I can't say I like the idea of him in man coverage at OLB in a 4-3. I don't think he has the ability in space, nor does he possess the hips to be a MLB in a "40" front either. His best case scenario will be inside in a 3-4, getting some freedom behind a big two-gap NT or on the outside in a 3-4 being turned loose to rush the passer. For now, I don't see Spikes in the first round and I think Early 3rd may be more likely than sneaking into that stacked opening round. I'd realistically expect Mid-Late 2nd as of right now... a somewhat overrated prospect to me.

StaticGator
02-03-2010, 09:36 PM
As someone who has watched every game Spikes has played, I'd pretty much throw out all his 2009 tape as it relates to playing the run. He struggled with Achilles and groin injuries all season and I don't think he was ever right. It appeared he could not generate any kind of leg drive. He was definitely not the same guy who up ended Knowshon Moreno and rag dolled Andre Smith in 2008. While he certainly has his scheme limitations, as does every 250+ lb linebacker, I would not hold the lack of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage against him.

Bills2083
02-04-2010, 04:37 PM
What round do you guys see him going in?
Now that the Bills are switching to a 3-4 I'm much more interested than before, since he wouldn't have fit in a 4-3.

CC.SD
02-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Now that the Bills are switching to a 3-4 I'm much more interested than before, since he wouldn't have fit in a 4-3.

I actually like Spikes as a SOLB in a 4-3 but do agree that ideally he's a thumper 3-4 ILB.

yourfavestoner
02-04-2010, 05:00 PM
As someone who has watched every game Spikes has played, I'd pretty much throw out all his 2009 tape as it relates to playing the run. He struggled with Achilles and groin injuries all season and I don't think he was ever right. It appeared he could not generate any kind of leg drive. He was definitely not the same guy who up ended Knowshon Moreno and rag dolled Andre Smith in 2008. While he certainly has his scheme limitations, as does every 250+ lb linebacker, I would not hold the lack of plays at or behind the line of scrimmage against him.

Yessir.

McClain really is just the "flavor of the week" underclassman linebacker. He is essentially in the same position that Spikes was in at this time last year. If he would have gone back to school for his senior year he'd suffer the same overanalysis Spikes is going through this year. We'd hear about his lack of elite athleticism and inability to play in anything besides inside in a 3-4 and his stock would fall accordingly - especially if he were to struggle with injuries all season.

I'm not saying McClain is a bad player by any means. But Spikes is just as good and will end up being a much better value where he is selected. Neither one of them outshines the other too much in any one area - McClain is a more technically sound player while Spikes is more of a playmaker.

I'm interested to see what kind of measurables they both have around combine time. TBH, I think we'll see them both even out as the draft draws near.

D-Unit
02-04-2010, 05:05 PM
His 40 time will predict whether he is a late 1st rounder or late 2nd rounder. Personally, I think he will go higher than people here say he will be going just because the 3-4 ILB class is so dearth with talent.

BuffaloBillsFan
02-04-2010, 07:02 PM

Same here, maybe we can nab him in the 2nd like we did with Poz.

yourfavestoner
02-05-2010, 10:16 AM
Same here, maybe we can nab him in the 2nd like we did with Poz.

His linebackers coach is now your defensive coordinator, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2010, 11:49 AM
Yessir.

McClain really is just the "flavor of the week" underclassman linebacker. He is essentially in the same position that Spikes was in at this time last year. If he would have gone back to school for his senior year he'd suffer the same overanalysis Spikes is going through this year. We'd hear about his lack of elite athleticism and inability to play in anything besides inside in a 3-4 and his stock would fall accordingly - especially if he were to struggle with injuries all season.

I'm not saying McClain is a bad player by any means. But Spikes is just as good and will end up being a much better value where he is selected. Neither one of them outshines the other too much in any one area - McClain is a more technically sound player while Spikes is more of a playmaker.

I'm interested to see what kind of measurables they both have around combine time. TBH, I think we'll see them both even out as the draft draws near.

I think thats the big misconception people are getting from us Spikes supporters. They think we're sayinig McClain is not that good. And thats not how I personally feel at all. I love McClain, and think he's a beast.

I just think that Spikes is a similar beast. If McClain is a top 15 pick, I don't see why Spikes isn't either.

I think they're in the same boat, yet they're being viewed in very different manners. And thats the part I don't understand personally.

My dream draft is the Giants somehow landing Dan Williams and Brandon Spikes in the 1st 2 rounds.

That would solve a lot of problems for us.

yourfavestoner
02-05-2010, 12:20 PM
I think thats the big misconception people are getting from us Spikes supporters. They think we're sayinig McClain is not that good. And thats not how I personally feel at all. I love McClain, and think he's a beast.

I just think that Spikes is a similar beast. If McClain is a top 15 pick, I don't see why Spikes isn't either.

I think they're in the same boat, yet they're being viewed in very different manners. And thats the part I don't understand personally.

My dream draft is the Giants somehow landing Dan Williams and Brandon Spikes in the 1st 2 rounds.

That would solve a lot of problems for us.

Exactly. A big problem with this board (and with draftniks in general) is that they'll tear down one player when trying to build another up instead of objectively analyzing both prospects.

I think both will be fine players in the NFL who both have potential to play in multiple Pro Bowls. At the very least, they'll be solid starters who will rack up a ton of tackles playing inside in a 3-4.

TBH, I really think that Spikes could play outside in a 3-4 if he develops a little more lower body stregnth. I would be amazed at his explosiveness off the edge when Florida would line him up at DE. His best performance was probably in his junior season against Bama, where he took Andre Smith to school, blowing by him off the edge and throwing him around like a ragdoll in the run game.

bigbluedefense
02-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Exactly. A big problem with this board (and with draftniks in general) is that they'll tear down one player when trying to build another up instead of objectively analyzing both prospects.

I think both will be fine players in the NFL who both have potential to play in multiple Pro Bowls. At the very least, they'll be solid starters who will rack up a ton of tackles playing inside in a 3-4.

TBH, I really think that Spikes could play outside in a 3-4 if he develops a little more lower body stregnth. I would be amazed at his explosiveness off the edge when Florida would line him up at DE. His best performance was probably in his junior season against Bama, where he took Andre Smith to school, blowing by him off the edge and throwing him around like a ragdoll in the run game.

He'd be perfect in a 46 defense too, where he can thump against the run and blitz a lot out of the MIKE. Minimal coverage responsibilities.

I hope we still run a 46 style defense like we did under Spags so he would fit. If Fewell brings in that Tampa 2 crap, then we're screwed.

He reminds me of a slower/bigger Lawrence Timmons. And I was a huge (still am) Timmons fan.

Duffman57
02-05-2010, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't b e surprised if the chargers took a real look at him. Aj Smith has a liking for those high motor type guys and we need some leadership on our D.

JoeJoeBrown
02-06-2010, 12:22 AM
The way some teams fall in love with the 40 is silly. Cone drills and splits are a much better metric for DE's and LBs.

Spikes is tough and strong. He's also a hell of a football player that is a leader and understands the game. Some team is going to get a good value if he drops to the 2nd. Much like what has been happening with productive college LBs that are a bit slower than elite as of late. TACKLE mentioned the list. It's ridiculous how teams will knock a guy way down their boards for being .1 second slower than the fastest guy at their position in the draft. How fast does the guy play the game? And more importantly, how well does he play the game?

You want someone that is going to diagnose what an offense is throwing at you instantly and then executes what the D scheme tells them to do in that situation with tenacity.

Duffman57
02-06-2010, 12:33 AM
Is it just me or could a decent amount of his draft stock be based off his leadership abilities and his love for the game.

Texas Homer
02-06-2010, 01:35 AM
If he falls to the 2nd round, then I think the team that drafts him is going to get a really good player. I think that he is a 1st round talent.

Splat
02-06-2010, 08:36 AM
If he falls to the 2nd round, then I think the team that drafts him is going to get a really good player. I think that he is a 1st round talent.

This.......

yourfavestoner
02-06-2010, 12:24 PM
Is it just me or could a decent amount of his draft stock be based off his leadership abilities and his love for the game.

I think that's more true for McClain than Spikes.

ThePudge
02-06-2010, 12:30 PM
The way some teams fall in love with the 40 is silly. Cone drills and splits are a much better metric for DE's and LBs.

Spikes is tough and strong. He's also a hell of a football player that is a leader and understands the game. Some team is going to get a good value if he drops to the 2nd. Much like what has been happening with productive college LBs that are a bit slower than elite as of late. TACKLE mentioned the list. It's ridiculous how teams will knock a guy way down their boards for being .1 second slower than the fastest guy at their position in the draft. How fast does the guy play the game? And more importantly, how well does he play the game?

You want someone that is going to diagnose what an offense is throwing at you instantly and then executes what the D scheme tells them to do in that situation with tenacity.

The fact is, his timed speed may be a concern, but it all stems off his game speed. I've spent a lot of time watching, and re-watching, the Florida Gators the past two seasons. He's got questionable speed for sideline to sideline play and might get lost inside at 4-3 where he'd be asked to cover a very wide area, and at SLB I wonder if Spikes could be more than a two-down player. I think he's a 3-4 player, whether inside at ILB behind a massive two-gap NT or outside at OLB where he'd be more free to rush the passer and disrupt a Quarterbacks passing lane.

I posted a good skeleton earlier on this page and finished my Brandon Spikes scouting report for 2010. Enjoy!

Brandon Spikes - Linebacker - Florida
6'2 3/4e 254e 4.8e
#3 ILB - #59 Overall - Early 2nd-Mid 3rd

Brandon Spikes strikes me as an average athlete and a good football player. He didn't have the strongest season this year for the Gators after being hyped as a perhaps the nation's top linebacker. In 2009, Spikes didn't make as many plays (the big plays and the little plays), showed he struggled to change direction and run in space, and finished with only 3.5 TFL in the run game, disappointing considering his reputation. Now, he struggled with injuries most of the year, so I'll give him some leeway. Still, it's tough to ignore the player's Senior season that exposed him a bit more so than James Laurinaitis and Rey Maualuga before him.

He'll play tall, he'll play tight, he doesn't play sideline to sideline like an elite linebacker, and his acceleration can leave something to be desired. I think Spikes' is just a very average NFL athlete. He struggles to change directions in space coming downfield and moving laterally. He's not as physical to engage as some make him out to be, as often times he will take himself out of a play by not running through blockers, but around them. There is concern out there about his weight room strength and functional strength. With his long arms and build, I'd keep an eye on Brandon Spikes, as I'm not sure he'll put that bar up more than 17-20 times. This isn't a big deal, but it's something to keep in the corner of your eye when considering the transition from college to NFL.

He's a smart player with complete knowledge of his system and of zone coverage schemes defensively. In the NFL though, he will struggle sinking his hips and running with more athletic Tight Ends than he sees on a day to day basis in college. His instincts rank as some of the best in the country, and he more often than not, takes good angles to the ball. I think he'll make a good 3-4 ILB playing behind a large, disruptive NT. He's at his best when he's set loose to find the ball, and can get a free lane. He can be a big-time hitter when he lines up his target, but he does play tight in the hips and is often eluded.

I love Spikes' instincts, his size, his ability to carry out assignments in zone coverage, his experience rushing the passer (from the middle and outside), and I love the energy he brings to a defense. Still, I worry about his ability in space, I have major concerns about his hips and feet, his leverage in the run game, his overall strength, and I wonder how his game will adjust facing to the speed of the NFL. Ultimately, I could see Spikes' size (6026e 254e 4.8e) and pass-rushing ability landing him a spot at OLB in a 3-4 scheme, though I can't say I like the idea of him in man coverage at OLB in a 4-3. I don't think he has the ability in space, nor does he possess the hips to be a MLB in a "40" front either. His best case scenario will be inside in a 3-4, getting some freedom behind a big two-gap NT or on the outside in a 3-4 being turned loose to rush the passer. For now, I don't see Spikes in the first round and I think Early 3rd may be more likely than sneaking into that stacked opening round. I'd realistically expect Mid-Late 2nd as of right now... a somewhat overrated prospect to me.

Pros
+ Plays with terrific energy
+ Is a team vocal leader and will play hurt for his teammates
+ Has great football instincts and a high football IQ
+ Good size, (6026e 254e) with long arms and some muscle tone
+ Displays good awareness in zone coverage, gets hands up in throwing lanes
+ Rushes the passer well and has experience off the edge
+ Is a powerful tackler, can deliver big hits and lays the lumber moving downhill
+ Productive, well-decorated college career
+ Is active around the ball, a natural playmaker and a fan favorite
+ Might have the versatility to play both ILB and OLB in a 3-4 scheme

Cons
- Plays tight in the hips
- Doesn't change direction well, can be easily eluded in space
- Struggles in man coverage, plays high and tight
- Is not particularly fast, may not be able to play sideline-sideline in the NFL
- Lacks elite upper body strength and doesn't use his hands to move players
- Doesn't have particularly nimble feet, and isn't as agile as you'd like from a MLB
- Has minor durability concerns
- Had a down year in 2009 and didn't play up to expectations
- Has very minor character concerns, may be a bit immature
- May be lost in a 4-3 scheme

BaLLiN
02-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Nice work pudge, i agree with you, despite his average athleticism he gets it done, his competitive spirit should be a major plus. Seems very Ray Lewis-esque in that aspect, dont know how Ray was coming out of college, but i think Spikes would be a very poor man's version with a different body type

JoeJoeBrown
02-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Holy cow, Pudge. Fantastic writeup. He may indeed be a product of being surrounded by talented players. While I too am concerned with his ability to play in space trying to cover a much faster player crossing into his zone, I think a DCoord can scheme around that to his strengths. I definitely agree with your assessment that he is a much better fit for the 3-4. I do think he could handle MLB in a 4-3, but I haven't put anywhere as close to as much thought into this as you have. Probably about two orders of magnitude less actually :)

Props again!