PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Morgan?

GatorsBullsFan
01-30-2010, 09:47 AM
Derrick Morgan seems like he has a lot of the same qualities people said Derrick Harvey had and he has been a bust so far. So what are the differences between Derrick Morgan and Derrick Harvey that would make people believe he wont follow the same path?

Jakey
01-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Morgan is heavier...better against the run...more stout...better production (imo)...better all round player.

adamprez2003
01-30-2010, 10:22 AM
better against the run. I liked Harvey as a prospect but thought he was a project. Thought he got drafted too high. He had zero technique as a college player. Still, at this point, he should have been doing better IMO. I think nexxt year is make or break for Harvey.

Morgan seems to have better technique. I dont think his pass rushing ceiling is as high as Harvey's but his run play more than makes up for it. And considering that Harvey doesnt look like he is developing into a good pass rusher Morgan at this stage looks like he should be much better

JFLO
01-30-2010, 10:27 AM
agree with two previous statements...

Morgan's production and technique against the run are much better than Harvey's as a Gator.

Morgan isn't as lanky or flexible as Morgan, but he is a much better strength pass rusher than Harvey too.

Personally, I thought Harvey was overrated coming out of Florida and knew he wouldn't flourish as some expected. I feel differently about Morgan. He is much more well rounded than Harvey was at the same stage level.

I like Morgan as a Justin Tuck or Trent Cole-like player.

Jakey
01-30-2010, 10:31 AM
I like Morgan as a Justin Tuck or Trent Cole-like player.

I think h's much more like Tuck...i dont think he has the speed or athletisism of Cole.

I like him as a Ray Edwards clone...wont put up huge numbers, but he'll be solid all around. Good player.

Unbiased
01-30-2010, 10:57 AM
Both are excellent against the run. I wouldn't say Morgan is better against the run than Harvey. Harvey is bigger. Morgan has better pass-rushing moves and is more relentless. Harvey can get too stiff when he's rushing the passer. But I think they're fairly similar.

GatorsBullsFan
01-30-2010, 11:00 AM
So why would Jags select Morgan if we just took a very similar guy a draft ago...

Jakey
01-30-2010, 11:04 AM
They may not. Depends how much they like Harvey, and how much they like Morgan.

GatorsBullsFan
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
They may not. Depends how much they like Harvey, and how much they like Morgan.

Considering we just took Harvey a draft ago and were already looking for a DE in the first round again...that should probably tell you how much Harvey has meant to us....

Unbiased
01-30-2010, 11:09 AM
So why would Jags select Morgan if we just took a very similar guy a draft ago...

Harvey's pass-rushing will come around. He may never live up to his 8th overall draft selection, but his sacks will get there. He's only 23. He has the work ethic to get it done and we just got that new d-line coach. We still need a guy on the other side, though. Personally, I'd take Price and dump Henderson. There's not really a RE worth taking that high.

Unbiased
01-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Considering we just took Harvey a draft ago and were already looking for a DE in the first round again...that should probably tell you how much Harvey has meant to us....

We don't know if they're looking for a first round DE.