PDA

View Full Version : Earl Thomas

superpack84
01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Does anyone here get the feeling that Thomas may end up being taken before Mays? At times I get the thought to rank him above Mays.

superman
01-31-2010, 02:09 AM
yes. a lot of people share this view.

FUNBUNCHER
01-31-2010, 06:02 AM
Based on college production, yes, possibly. But I think Mays is beginning to alleviate some questions about what he's capable of in the pros.
If D coordinators feel they can scheme ways to put Mays between a WR and the football, I think Mays physical tools will be too overwhelming for some teams to ignore.
I could easily see Berry, Mays, and Thomas all go in the top 25 picks, and I don't think there's a whole lot a separation athletically or as football players between Thomas and Berry.
Among the top 3 safeties, (IMO Berry, Mays/Thomas), Earl Thomas will come at the greatest discount.

RealityCheck
01-31-2010, 08:50 AM
No. Mays has a high chance of going in the Top 10, and Thomas will not go in the Top 10 any way.

Babylon
01-31-2010, 11:38 AM
I still like Mays before Thomas. Mays sort of held his own this week and his strongsuit is going to be the combine. Put him and Thomas side by side in a beauty contest and the scouts are going to be all over Mays.

Texas Homer
01-31-2010, 11:53 AM
No. Mays has a high chance of going in the Top 10, and Thomas will not go in the Top 10 any way.
Who do you think might take Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?

I could see the Raiders taking Mays top 10. I was just wondering if you could see any other team taking Mays top 10.

Babylon
01-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Who do you think takes Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?

I can see Seattle trading down a little with their first pick but i think they'll target Mays at #14 and if he's not there then so be it. Tackle is probably their 1st choice.

Thumper
01-31-2010, 02:57 PM
Earl Thomas >>> Taylor Mays
Eric Berry >>>>> Taylor Mays
Reshad Jones > Taylor Mays
-They're the same in pass coverage, Mays is more disciplined but Jones has more ball skills. But Jones is better in run support.

And I don't know enough to compare him and Chad Jones, but I think in terms of physical ability they're about equal.

JFLO
01-31-2010, 03:07 PM
Reshad Jones over Taylor Mays? That may be a bit harsh on the guy...

I have Thomas currently rated over Mays, but I don't think it is by that much. I love Thomas' versatility. He's capable of playing cornerback if needed and has the range and elite closing speed of a safety. A legit top 15 talent.

Mays is just outside the Top 15 right now, I think I have him around 16-20.

ndbigdave
02-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Physically speaking Mays is off the Charts, he is a big hitter who has shown some flashes of being a player that can get some INT's. I doubt his ability to really matchup in coverage, but depending on the system that may not matter.

Berry is likely the #2 or #3 most physically gifted Safety available, who can lay the wood a bit, but really excels in coverage and making "big plays" his versatility and coverage skills are why he rates as a top 5 pick.

I see Thomas as a smaller Berry. Thomas can coverage, has great closing speed and range, but just isnt the physical freak Mays happens to be.

At the end of the day, system will dictate an awful lot. If you expect your safety to live in the box for run support and to act as another LB - then Mays is solid gold for you. If you want your safety to be a bit more of a center fielder with more coverage responsibilities I think you need to look at Thomas.

As a 49ers fan, I would love to see Thomas because we need his coverage ability and big play skills. That being said, Mays is such a freak with otherworldly potential I wouldn't totally be upset with his pick either.

DeathbyStat
02-01-2010, 11:20 AM
1.Berry
2.Thomas
3.Chad Jones
4.Mays

SeanTaylorRIP
02-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I have a feeling Chad Jones will be the guy who surprisingly takes that #2 spot. Teams will just fall in love with how vicious that kid is.

TheSlinger
02-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I have a feeling Chad Jones will be the guy who surprisingly takes that #2 spot. Teams will just fall in love with how vicious that kid is.

Yes! I thought I was alone in this. I feel like Jones is the player Mays could be. He has similar size, obviously he's not as fast as Mays but he can move, and he can lay the wood in coverage and in run support. More importantly, when he hits somebody, they actually go down!

I think the 3 of them (Mays, Thomas, Jones) should be ranked very similar, but I think Jones is my favourite.

Rosebud
02-01-2010, 02:16 PM
Yes! I thought I was alone in this. I feel like Jones is the player Mays could be. He has similar size, obviously he's not as fast as Mays but he can move, and he can lay the wood in coverage and in run support. More importantly, when he hits somebody, they actually go down!

I think the 3 of them (Mays, Thomas, Jones) should be ranked very similar, but I think Jones is my favourite.

Chad is stronger and a better run defender that Taylor but despite his good athletic ability and range he doesn't cover half as much ground as Mays does when playing deep. I like him and he's a very nice project pick with major upside but right now Taylor is a lot better playing deep which is why he's a lot more NFL ready.

RealityCheck
02-01-2010, 02:20 PM
Who do you think might take Mays in the top 10?(Just curious) Raiders? Seahawks trade down a little and pick Mays?

I could see the Raiders taking Mays top 10. I was just wondering if you could see any other team taking Mays top 10.
I can see the Seahawks taking him at #6. Hell, even the Chiefs if the Bucs take Berry.

bigbluedefense
02-01-2010, 02:26 PM
Mays wishes he could drop his hips the way Thomas does.

Mays may run in a straight line as fast if not faster than Thomas, but game speed Thomas is faster by a mile. He can change directions and drop his hips 10X better than Mays.

Mays can get his body going in one direction and deliver a blow. But if he had to stop on a dime and cut back, he can't do it like Thomas. Thats why he takes such poor angles and gets juked out of his boots at times.

Cicero
02-01-2010, 02:54 PM
I personally would take him before Mays, although I predict it will be the other way around on draft day.

I can see the Seahawks taking him at #6. Hell, even the Chiefs if the Bucs take Berry.

/shudder. If we take Mays at 6 I'm starting a fire Carroll thread.

TACKLE
02-01-2010, 03:43 PM
There is a lot to like about Earl Thomas. He has fluid hips and very good speed gives him the ability to be successful at corner and safety. He has terrific ball skills and is a playmaker. I am concerned with his size though. He's listed at 5'10 197 and hasn't proven to be very physical. I've also on several occasions seen him take some bad angles in pursuit. Definitely great in pass coverage but I am still not sure if he can be a complete safety.

I'm not trying to be this guy. I like Earl Thomas and I really like his versatility. I really don't like that people feel the need to knock down one prospect when they try to build up another but...

How badly would Taylor Mays have been crucified if he cost his team a shot at the National Championship because he took a horrible angle and then gave up on the play? I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

FUNBUNCHER
02-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Well, this year's safety class if off the charts in terms of elite prospects available. Imagine how many of these guys could be starting as rookies!!??

Thomas is just big enough and plays physical for his size; he took out Ingram's legs on sweep in the NC game and dropped him cold.
But I could see him being switched to corner too, I think he's gonna run south of 4.4 at his pro day or the combine.

I agree with Babylon, Taylor Mays is going to put on a show at the combine and teams will fall in love with him all over again. I expect to see trades to get into the 8 - 12 pick range in the first round as teams position themselves to take Mays.

D-Unit
02-01-2010, 04:47 PM
I keep saying this in the Cowboys forum, but Thomas is a CB playing S. Which definitely goes to his advantage in pass protection. Wouldn't we be having this same discussion if Kyle Wilson stayed at S where he started his college career? What if Perrish Cox had been playing S instead of CB? I really think Thomas has benefitted tremendously by Mack Brown using him as a CB. Luckily, Texas didn't need him at CB.

CC.SD
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
Well, this year's safety class if off the charts in terms of elite prospects available. Imagine how many of these guys could be starting as rookies!!??

07 had like 5 first round safeties. Ridic. I remember it because the Chargers clearly got caught with their pants down when all of them were taken by pick 30 and ended up selling the house to get Eric Weddle in the 2nd. But then again the success rate for that year has not been so hot, so who knows.

Babylon
02-01-2010, 05:10 PM
07 had like 5 first round safeties. Ridic. I remember it because the Chargers clearly got caught with their pants down when all of them were taken by pick 30 and ended up selling the house to get Eric Weddle in the 2nd. But then again the success rate for that year has not been so hot, so who knows.

See a lot of comparisons to Weddle. Heady player, good in pass coverage maybe not as stout against the run.

djp
02-01-2010, 05:13 PM
I keep saying this in the Cowboys forum, but Thomas is a CB playing S. Which definitely goes to his advantage in pass protection. Wouldn't we be having this same discussion if Kyle Wilson stayed at S where he started his college career? What if Perrish Cox had been playing S instead of CB? I really think Thomas has benefitted tremendously by Mack Brown using him as a CB. Luckily, Texas didn't need him at CB.

Thomas is a good enough tackler to play at safety. He could have played corner probably, but I think Muschamp wanted him to face the quarterback and read and react more.

Wilson is not the athlete that Earl Thomas is.

Perrish Cox is not physical enough to play safety. Imagine an NFL TE running a seam route versus Cox. He would get muscled off the ball and then worn like a cape down the field.

ojjuiceman
02-01-2010, 05:23 PM

Just be lucky that you guys didn't end up with Sabby Piscitelli. :mad:

D-Unit
02-01-2010, 05:44 PM
Thomas is a good enough tackler to play at safety. He could have played corner probably, but I think Muschamp wanted him to face the quarterback and read and react more.

Wilson is not the athlete that Earl Thomas is.

Perrish Cox is not physical enough to play safety. Imagine an NFL TE running a seam route versus Cox. He would get muscled off the ball and then worn like a cape down the field.
What do you mean by saying Wilson is not the athlete that Thomas is? Wilson is a better CB than Thomas would be at CB. A CBs job is much harder too.

...I get what you're saying about Cox against TEs... and I picture that happening to Thomas. Thomas covering the deep ball vs speedy WRs... elite. But TE coverage? ha ha. Yeah, Thomas and his 5'10 frame will what?

frubulubu
02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
As a Eagle I would be thrilled, with either one of the top 3 safties. But, probably wont happen, and will go will Macho again.