PDA

View Full Version : Share your funniest draft day stories.

frubulubu
01-31-2010, 01:23 PM
I know the Super Bowl is next week, but Im already thinking about the NFL Draft. Last year at a draft day party,I got DRUNK! Not by mere will, but by somebody spiking the juice, with Vodka. I ended up on the floor, filled with my own vomit, and woke later with a ruined Mcnabb Jersey, and a HUGE headache. What are your funniest draft day/party stories?

thule
01-31-2010, 01:25 PM
you didn't notice the juice was spiked? <-_->

CashmoneyDrew
01-31-2010, 01:59 PM
I farted once.

Texas Homer
01-31-2010, 02:15 PM
I'm a big Mario Williams fan now, but the day before the draft I was working a late shift at work when one of my co-workers told me that the Texans were going to draft Mario Williams and had already signed him(I was hoping for VY, but thought the Texans would draft Bush).

I thought he was messing with me and I didn't believe him at all. I got home and turned on the TV and saw that it was true. I was SHOCKED!

I also felt bad for not believing my co-worker when he had told me originally.

SickwithIt1010
01-31-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm a big Mario Williams fan now, but the day before the draft I was working a late shift at work when one of my co-workers told me that the Texans were going to draft Mario Williams and had already signed him(I was hoping for VY, but thought the Texans would draft Bush).

I thought he was messing with me and I didn't believe him at all. I got home and turned on the TV and saw that it was true. I was SHOCKED!

I also felt bad for not believing my co-worker when he had told me originally.

sounds like a wild story....

Nalej
01-31-2010, 02:31 PM
Yea, calm down there Tiger

Thumper
01-31-2010, 02:47 PM
Hmmm...

Personally I haven't ran into anything especially funny on draft day.

I thought the Raiders taking DHB was hilarious though. That was a funny moment.

Drafts aren't particularly funny because drafts are serious business.

BuddyCHRIST
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
The only thing thats ever funny is when teams make huge reaches, Teddy Ginn to the Dolphins, and DHB to the Raiders come to mind recently.

JFLO
01-31-2010, 02:49 PM
Draft day is all business, no funny

Brodeur
01-31-2010, 02:53 PM
I was actually excited when Mike Williams got drafted by the Lions, so that's about it.

wicket
01-31-2010, 02:56 PM
the raiders drafting DHB, still makes me giggle

FrankGore
01-31-2010, 03:05 PM
double post

FrankGore
01-31-2010, 03:08 PM
Seeing this on draft day:

http://wilsonbroadcast.com/wp-content/plugins/wp-o-matic/cache/e03ce_darriusHeyward-Bey135_screen.jpg

then this

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/aei/files/2009/04/michaelcrabtree.jpg

Don Vito
01-31-2010, 03:22 PM
I was at an Ole Miss baseball game on draft day last year and I kept checking the picks on my phone. Everyone here hates the Pats except me and they kept saying if we drafted Mike Oher they would've been pissed, and when I saw that he could be available I really started thinking about it. Well we traded our pick but the website on my phone failed to show that we traded the pick, so I thought we took Oher even though the Ravens did. I had been drinking so I started talking **** to about the Pats getting Oher then one of my friends told me the Ravens took him. Everyone then started ******** on me and I looked like a ******.

Bengals78
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
Me and a friend did a draft day drinking game. We were drunk by 2pm and barely could focus on the draft. We had to stop and could barely remember any of it.

The Dynasty
01-31-2010, 03:25 PM
I threw my hat on the ground in disgust when the Vikings drafted Percy Harvin. Oops.

RealityCheck
01-31-2010, 03:26 PM
Back in 2008, when the Pats were OTC, I kneeled down and colsed my eyes. When I heard "Jerod Mayo...", I said... meh.

the_legend_killer
01-31-2010, 04:10 PM
I threw my hat on the ground in disgust when the Vikings drafted Percy Harvin. Oops.

Lol, I wasn't happy either.

When the Packers drafted Justin Harrell all the Packer fans I was watching with wanted to get in a truck and drive to Green Bay (About 3 hours from where I was) to "have a talk" with Ted Thompson. Man, they were pissed.

Thumper
01-31-2010, 04:16 PM
My initial reaction to the Jeremy Maclin pick was "WTF? We have DeSean Jackson." and then Negedelphia set in and my mind immediately thought "Oh gawd, Freddie Mitchell part 2!?" and I had to console myself by reading scouting reports and listening to how everyone was saying "What a steal." and then I knew he wasn't Freddie Mitchell part 2 once he opened his mouth, Maclin was well spoken and humble, neither of which Mitchell ever was or will be.

ThePudge
01-31-2010, 04:32 PM
My funniest draft moments come while heckling Trey Wingo from 20 feet away during the second day in 2008. That guy polished off 13 Diet Cokes 4 Waters and a Vanilla Bean Frapuccino during that day, and took two bathroom breaks. A true athlete. He talked to me and my friend good amount that day and kept us updated on the drink situation. The man is a machine with those Diet Cokes.

I also stumped the Schwab that day, which was fun to do. I asked him Rashard Mendenhall's hand size. I knew the answer to be 10 7/8". All he knew is they were "pretty damn big."

niel89
01-31-2010, 04:36 PM
I have an actual funny story.

For the past few years a couple of friends and I have gone to New York to go to the draft in person. 2 years ago (I think), we had a hotel that was literally next to Radio City Music Hall. One of the days we were walking down the street and then we saw Mel Kiper. One by one we saw all the ESPN crew. My friend (a big cowboys fan) goes "Holy **** I think that's Michael Irvin." So my other friend instantly yells "HEY MICHAEL!"
Keyshawn Johnson turns around and yells "We all look a like, don't we?"

He started laughing but we all were in shock. It was awkward.

Brodeur
01-31-2010, 04:37 PM
My initial reaction to the Jeremy Maclin pick was "WTF? We have DeSean Jackson." and then Negedelphia set in and my mind immediately thought "Oh gawd, Freddie Mitchell part 2!?" and I had to console myself by reading scouting reports and listening to how everyone was saying "What a steal." and then I knew he wasn't Freddie Mitchell part 2 once he opened his mouth, Maclin was well spoken and humble, neither of which Mitchell ever was or will be.

I don't think schizophrenia is funny Thumper.

regoob2
01-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Watching the Bears draft Dan Bazuin in round 2 and Michael Okwo and Garrett Wolfe in round 3.

CashmoneyDrew
01-31-2010, 04:55 PM
I was pissed when we drafted Chris Johnson.

Fail.

I was pissed when we drafted Chris Henry.

Win.

prock
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
i was the only one of my friends who were happy with percy harvin. i am also one of three of us that even give a **** about the draft.

wogitalia
01-31-2010, 07:51 PM

I felt "meh" towards it when I saw we took Harvin, when I saw Oher was still available I felt like punching the monitor.

We did pretty well though, but Oher looked better at LT for the Ravens than McKinnie ever has for us(or at least in the last 5 years) so I'm still a bit annoyed at that. I was a little more relieved that at least we took Loadholt.

I face palmed when we took Williamson, not that he ended up any worse than Mike Williams who was the guy I wanted if we had to take a WR(and Braylon was already gone). God we blew that draft so badly in that draft. The only notable player we got that offseason was Heath Farwell... a ST LB. That is basically the epitome of horrible draft and we had 2 firsts. We could have had a Jamal Brown and Aaron Rodgers combo for eva!

singe_101
01-31-2010, 08:19 PM
I felt "meh" towards it when I saw we took Harvin, when I saw Oher was still available I felt like punching the monitor.

We did pretty well though, but Oher looked better at LT for the Ravens than McKinnie ever has for us(or at least in the last 5 years) so I'm still a bit annoyed at that. I was a little more relieved that at least we took Loadholt.

I face palmed when we took Williamson, not that he ended up any worse than Mike Williams who was the guy I wanted if we had to take a WR(and Braylon was already gone). God we blew that draft so badly in that draft. The only notable player we got that offseason was Heath Farwell... a ST LB. That is basically the epitome of horrible draft and we had 2 firsts. We could have had a Jamal Brown and Aaron Rodgers combo for eva!

Pat Williams? Smoot was a bust but was supposed to be a starter.

When they drafted Udeze I was excited and called him "sackmaster" lol.

PoopSandwich
01-31-2010, 08:24 PM
I wanted Brady Quinn.

JoeJoeBrown
01-31-2010, 09:02 PM
Funny draft day stories? Every draft day is hysterical: I'm a Browns fan.

Shane P. Hallam
01-31-2010, 09:22 PM
My favorite one was in 2004. The Steelers had just gotten Ben Roethlisberger in the first round, and then in the 2nd they traded up. I was on the phone with a friend of mine and we were stoked. We knew for sure it was going to be Ben Troupe. We needed a TE, and he should have been a first round pick. Instead, the Steelers drafted Ricardo Colclough from Tusculum....yeah.

BuffaloBillsFan
01-31-2010, 10:10 PM
It was pretty hilarious when Cam Cameron talked about Ted Ginn Jr. after they drafted him with the 9th pick.. "He is a really special player, I know his dad, you are going to like what he can do as a returner." The type of responses Miami fans were coming up with was nothing short of hilarious!

Go_Eagles77
01-31-2010, 10:27 PM
I spent a good majority of the first 2 rounds of the 2007 NFL draft at a wedding and came home to see the eagles drafted Kevin Kolb. I was in a pretty depressed mood for the rest of the night until the eagles drafted Tony Hunt, that cheered me up a little bit.

Fail.

SuperMcGee
01-31-2010, 10:27 PM
My favorite one was in 2004. The Steelers had just gotten Ben Roethlisberger in the first round, and then in the 2nd they traded up. I was on the phone with a friend of mine and we were stoked. We knew for sure it was going to be Ben Troupe. We needed a TE, and he should have been a first round pick. Instead, the Steelers drafted Ricardo Colclough from Tusculum....yeah.

Pretty much the same thing happened with me, but replace all your foolish Steeler stuff with fully expecting Winston Justice and getting certified pos John McCargo in 2006. Then add 5 minutes of unintelligible yelling in the room. And probably every other room with the draft on in the city, as I have found.

jth1331
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
One time me and my brother did a mock draft, and we went to see who could get the closest hits on the picks, with various points depending how far away the player was drafted from where you had him slotted to go.
Another year, back in 2000, I watched the draft all day on the phone with my brother who was in Houston. My mom and dad played card games in the residential area once a month on a Saturday and one person they play with was the defensive line coach of the Broncos, George Dyer. Well, that Saturday they played bridge and I got to talk with George and my dad brought up how I watched the draft all day with my brother, and he was completely shocked that someone would do that. Anyways, he bragged how Deltha O'Neal was a phenomenal athlete who was going to be an amazing player. Then, I got to wear one of his Super Bowl Championship rings. That was freakin epic.

WMD
01-31-2010, 10:30 PM
I was actually excited when Mike Williams got drafted by the Lions, so that's about it.
WTF. You make me sad.

How could you be excited? We passed on Derrick Johnson and Erasmus James for that scrub. I wanted Derrick Johnson so bad :( and Erasmus was the backup plan at that point.. and we took.......... him.

Thumper
01-31-2010, 10:41 PM
WTF. You make me sad.

How could you be excited? We passed on Derrick Johnson and Erasmus James for that scrub. I wanted Derrick Johnson so bad :( and Erasmus was the backup plan at that point.. and we took.......... him.

Yeah because they turned out so well...

Buc Baller12
01-31-2010, 10:48 PM
It was during the 2007 draft. I was watching the draft in the garage with the garage door open. I was for sure the bucs were going to get Calvin Johnson i thought it was a lock. Than the lions took him and i started screaming and almost all the neighbors ran outside too see what was that noise.

the decider13
01-31-2010, 10:53 PM
I wanted the Broncos to take Orakpo and they took Knowshon. I wanted the Broncos to take Jon Beason and they took Jarvis Moss.

That is the extent of fun for a Bronco fan on draft day.

Scotty D
01-31-2010, 11:18 PM
The year the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson I was able to watch that pick, but then had to do some things with friends. I remember turning on ESPN to see that we had three second round picks and I was like wtf??, and then it showed Drew Stanton, Ikaika Alma Francis, and Gerald Alexander. I yelled out "WHAT THE ****".

frubulubu
01-31-2010, 11:24 PM
The year the Lions drafted Calvin Johnson I was able to watch that pick, but then had to do some things with friends. I remember turning on ESPN to see that we had three second round picks and I was like wtf??, and then it showed Drew Stanton, Ikaika Alma Francis, and Gerald Alexander. I yelled out "WHAT THE ****".

That was a good reaso to shout, they had the second pick in the second round.

Da-Phins
01-31-2010, 11:37 PM
It was pretty hilarious when Cam Cameron talked about Ted Ginn Jr. after they drafted him with the 9th pick.. "He is a really special player, I know his dad, you are going to like what he can do as a returner." The type of responses Miami fans were coming up with was nothing short of hilarious!

And he said that we drafted the entire Ginn family. Im still waiting on the Ginn family to make an impact on the team.

I was beyond the word piss when we drafted Ginn instead of Quinn. I remember sitting there saying that we are finally gonna get a franchise QB. Then when I heard Ted Ginn, I wanted to cry a river and hopefully have Cam drown in it.

TonyGfortheTD
01-31-2010, 11:49 PM
My funniest draft moments come while heckling Trey Wingo from 20 feet away during the second day in 2008. That guy polished off 13 Diet Cokes 4 Waters and a Vanilla Bean Frapuccino during that day, and took two bathroom breaks. A true athlete. He talked to me and my friend good amount that day and kept us updated on the drink situation. The man is a machine with those Diet Cokes.

I also stumped the Schwab that day, which was fun to do. I asked him Rashard Mendenhall's hand size. I knew the answer to be 10 7/8". All he knew is they were "pretty damn big."

Think this happened in 2008, maybe earlier. Trey Wingo was interviewing Carl Peterson (when he was still Chiefs GM) and Carl kept calling him Zach for some reason.

Scott Pioli banning Randy Moss (no, the skinny white dude on NFL Network) from going anywhere near where they were running the draft at Arrowhead was pretty funny too

RaiderNation
01-31-2010, 11:50 PM
2007 Draft... we had the 1st pick, I was a big supporter of Calvin Johnson and I couldnt see how we wouldnt pick him... you know the rest of the story. I was pissed the rest of the day

MetSox17
02-01-2010, 12:04 AM
I had a **** attack when we passed on Steven Jackson...

Also, a few years ago, i got drunk with my friend's dad. We were all together watching the draft, drinking, then his girlfriend came over and they went out. So i stayed there with his dad, drinking all night. Got plastered.

diabsoule
02-01-2010, 12:22 AM
I was having a draft party at my house in 2007. Whole bunch of my friends were over and we had cigars lined up to smoke because we thought the Saints were going to draft Paul Posluszny or Greg Olsen. The Saints get on the clock, both of those players were still available, and the envelope is handed up. And it's Robert Meachem. We were disgusted. Yelling at the TV commenced and after everyone settled down one of my friends says "I don't think it's that bad of a pick, I think he's going to be awesome".

SuperMcGee
02-01-2010, 12:25 AM
I remember when we traded up for Poz just a few picks later. I loved it. When I saw that it was us that traded up on the bottom of the screen, I just jumped up and started shouting "POZ! POZ!"

Sure enough :cool:

Mr. Offseason
02-01-2010, 12:27 AM
I didn't want Matt Ryan, I wanted Glenn Dorsey. To top it off, I thought Brohm would be a sweet pickup in round 2 if we got Dorsey in round 1. It doesn't get much more wrong than that.

I remember when I was watching the draft with my Packer friends and I was like god, I hope you guys don't draft Harrell, and I told them that he was always hurt and that I didn't think he would amount to anything in the NFL, and then they drafted him and like the other story about Harrell they wanted to go yell at Ted Thompson. One of my friends said "The one god **** time he doesn't trade down to get 10 4th round picks he wastes it on Justin Harrell." It was pretty funny.

Oh and I laughed at DHB going to the Raiders because he is literally Troy Williamson 2.0 (the similarities are eerie) and also when they picked JaMarcus Russell over Calvin Johnson. The Raiders are just hilarious on draft day in general.

TitanHope
02-01-2010, 12:29 AM
Also, a few years ago, i got drunk with my friend's dad...

What happens at Draft Parties, stays at Draft Parties.

KCJ58
02-01-2010, 04:12 AM
not funny but after watching the pro bowl i was hoping for the 1st WR in the 2008 draft i thought we would draft DeSean Jackson but instead we drafted Donnie Avery

Grizzlegom
02-01-2010, 08:32 AM
And he said that we drafted the entire Ginn family. Im still waiting on the Ginn family to make an impact on the team.

I was beyond the word piss when we drafted Ginn instead of Quinn. I remember sitting there saying that we are finally gonna get a franchise QB. Then when I heard Ted Ginn, I wanted to cry a river and hopefully have Cam drown in it.

I was on the phone with my buddy who is a Dolphins fan as well and i was like WE GOT QUINN!!! WE GOT QUINN!!! and my buddy was like u never know, we could always draft ted ginn (i was a student at Penn State at the time so he was joking around and mocking me)...then the pick was announced...i was so angry i through my draft hat at the TV and hung up the phone, pretty sure i was feeling the same way as you did.

The Cam Cameron press conference later was the best though and my friends and I still call Teddy 'The Family' and whenever we play madden or watch games its always TED GINN FAMILY whenever he does anything.

Grizzlegom
02-01-2010, 08:44 AM

I was at that draft as well and that weekend has some of the best memories of my life. Day one when they opened the gates there is a mass rush of people trying to get to the front to get tickets since its first come first serve. My buddy got ran over and was bleeding but he still fought his way to the front with the rest of us...we got in and were telling the story to some other people and said he got Trampeded (trampled + stampeded). that made for a good story.

Heckling Trey on day two (he's takes it like a champ btw) plus the schwab coming up to the balcony to talk and sit with us for a little while...he's pretty easy to stump if u ask him draftnik type questions haha. but the best moment was Caleb Campbell the safety from Army. they had him interviewing and we were all chanting U-S-A and stuff. Campbell and Rachel Nichols came up to the balcony to sit with us for a little and Rachel was standing in front of my buddy and he couldnt see the set and when she realized it she was like OMG im so sry and my buddy just responds "You can stand in front of me all day long."

Go_Eagles77
02-01-2010, 08:52 AM
Rachel Nichols always came off as a ***** to me on TV.

RealityCheck
02-01-2010, 08:56 AM
I was having a draft party at my house in 2007. Whole bunch of my friends were over and we had cigars lined up to smoke because we thought the Saints were going to draft Paul Posluszny or Greg Olsen. The Saints get on the clock, both of those players were still available, and the envelope is handed up. And it's Robert Meachem. We were disgusted. Yelling at the TV commenced and after everyone settled down one of my friends says "I don't think it's that bad of a pick, I think he's going to be awesome".
Your friend wins.

Back in 2007, my first draft. Spend the entire day on my cousin's 1st birthday. Spent over $50 using mom's cell phone in order to check the draft results :D

GoRavens
02-01-2010, 09:46 AM
I remember when I wished Baltimore drafted Devin Hester, and Marques Colston...never happened

DeathbyStat
02-01-2010, 09:57 AM
Nearly lost my mind how much I hated the Santonio Holmes pick

yourfavestoner
02-01-2010, 10:37 AM
After the combine for the 2005 draft, I spent a lot of time trying to guess which stupid team would fall in love with Matt Jones and waste a first round pick on a project WR based solely on a 40 and a one handed catch in a Senior Bowl practice.

The Jaguars went on to draft Matt Jones in the first round. I punched a hole in the wall and spent the rest of the day trying to talk myself into liking the pick.

mario
02-01-2010, 11:37 AM
The only one i think is funny was 2 seasons ago:

That season we lost 3 QBs (Delhomme, Carr and Testaverde) behind an horrible O-line. In some mocks and 'experts' opinions they said the Panthers shoud draft a RB because DeShaun Fosters was terrible (that's true) I was claiming Jeff Otah in the 13rd pick b/c DeAngelo Williams had shown flashes and definetely he had not been tested with an amount of carries.

We drafted J-Stew with the 13rd pick (my anger was amazing at that moment), then we sent the 2009 1st round to Philly to get Otah.

Now it seems it wasn't a bad move b/c we've one of the best RB tandems in NFL history but since 2008 we don't have a 1st round pick :rolleyes:

Regards!!

SenorGato
02-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I remember in 2003 the Jets were all "Hey Texans, give us the #3 pick so we can take Andre Johnson."

And the Texans were all "f off man, we're keeping it."

The Jets were like "fine, we'll trade up to #4 jic you don't take him."

The Texans were then all like "lol, you're stupid."

The Jets were all like "you'll see!!"

Then the Texans took Andre Johnson. We took a guy who would have arthritis in his knees by age 25, BUT he had a really good '04 season.

ndbigdave
02-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Though it wasnt funny at the time I can remember my reaction to the 1997 draft ...

Rumors were swirling that my 49ers were looking to find the heir apparent to Steve Young. I had my heart set on Jake Plummer, someone I thought would be wonderful in San Fran...however we went with a statue called Jim Druckenmiller with a "cannon arm" ...he in NO WAY fit the 49ers system. When the pick came through I was literally brought to tears I was so pissed off I went outside to go kick inanimate objects.

Looking back I was clearly right...but I do laugh at my reaction.

Please also note that I was 12 years old when this happened.

SenorGato
02-01-2010, 12:07 PM
This one shows how kind the Jets are:

In '07 we were all like "We want Revis!"

The Steelers felt the same way and were all like "hey we saw him first man!"

The Jets were like "Cool story bro, but look what we just did *trades for Revis*!"

The Steelers were like "daaaaaaaaaaamn."

The Jets were all like "Sorry dude, how can we make it up to you?"

The Steelers were all like "Fine, give us Woodley."

The Jets were all like "Yo, but we wanted Woodley!!"

The Steelers were like "Yea, but you took Revis you a-hole! WE WANT WOODLEY!"

The Jets were all like...."*Sigh* Fine, but we want a Michigan guy too!"

The Steelers were all like "OK, trade up after us, we'll take Woodley, and you take Harris right before the Jaguars do! It's the best plan! Friends?"

The Jets were all like "No, not friends, but not a bad idea. BTW, the Steel industry's dead and your town sucks!!!"

The Steelers were all like: :( But then realized they didn't really lose out and don't like NY/NJ anyway!!!

And that's how we got Revis and Harris and the Steelers got Woodley. We could have had Revis and Woodley, but we're so nice.

Marino13
02-01-2010, 12:59 PM
like all Fin fans, my funny story goes to Ted Ginn. To me, everything pointed to Brady Quinn. We even signed Terry Shea (who had been working with Quinn to prepare for the draft) as QB coach. My buddy was like "watch you guys take Ted Ginn". I honestly thought the only other guy we would consider was Adam Carriker. Being a Michigan and Dolphin fan, I flipped out and was so pissed I had to take a walk. When I saw Cam Cameron's press conference, I wanted to throw something.

I was then able to convince myself the rest of the draft was good when we took John Beck, Samson Satale, and Lorenzo Booker. Thank God Cam is gone.

yourfavestoner
02-01-2010, 01:01 PM
like all Fin fans, my funny story goes to Ted Ginn. To me, everything pointed to Brady Quinn. We even signed Terry Shea (who had been working with Quinn to prepare for the draft) as QB coach. My buddy was like "watch you guys take Ted Ginn". I honestly thought the only other guy we would consider was Adam Carriker. Being a Michigan and Dolphin fan, I flipped out and was so pissed I had to take a walk. When I saw Cam Cameron's press conference, I wanted to throw something.

I was then able to convince myself the rest of the draft was good when we took John Beck, Samson Satale, and Lorenzo Booker. Thank God Cam is gone.

That's what I had to do with the 05 (Matt Jones) draft. I reasoned to myself that we took Khalif Barnes in the 2nd, and if we had switched those two around (Barnes in the 1st, Jones in the 2nd) I wouldn't have complained at all.

Now, not a single person from that draft class is on the roster.

P01ntb1ank
02-01-2010, 01:18 PM
I remember the first time seeing this video and it still cracks me up to this day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZxNeFLuY98

Also love the DHB pick last year. Crabtree was sweating bullets the whole time

jnew76
02-01-2010, 01:23 PM
My favorite is when my drink came spewing out of my nose and mouth after the Raiders took Sebastian Janikowski with the 17th pick in the 2000 draft. My drink went all over my buddies Kurt Warner jersey. He blames Al Davis to this day.

kennyb
02-01-2010, 02:25 PM
It was the 3rd round a few years ago. My beloved NE Patsies had the last pick in the round.

There were all kinds of exciting, game changing players out there! I was like a kid opening Christmas presents waiting for the goodies I would get!

"Guss Scott".

Who? WTF is that?

I looked him up he was like the 20th ranked safety. Great job. This may have been the year they TRADED UP for the immortal "Bethel Johnson", a guy who did NOTHING in college and was just "fast" and "quick". But not at all a football player.

So much for BB is a genius. He isn't. Whiffs ALL THE DAMN TIME!

SwagU
02-01-2010, 04:26 PM
This memory is still very fresh and the wound is as well. So all week I was hyped for the 2009 NFL draft and I couldn't wait to see who my Raiders were goona take. So Thursday night I get reminded by my mom that saturday was my cousins comunion. So saturday roles around and I ask my mom what time we have to be there she said 5:30, I think to myself I can make it. So its 4 and the draft starts, I get to see the first 5 picks and then I think to myself I should get ready so I can make it back for the Raiders pick. I showered with the door open and the water on a low pressure so I could hear. Im showering and I hear Raiders are on the clock, so I rush out of the washroom and wait for the Raiders to select. I see Goodell go the podium ad im thinking this is goona be Maclin, then I hear " The Raider select Darrius Heyward-Bey". I was in complete shock that we by passed Maclin and Monroe and Al actually went completely nuts and reached on DHB. I shut the TV off and left after that. I can strongly say my worst draft day ever.

Babylon
02-01-2010, 05:05 PM
After 65 posts i'm seeing that i'm either getting old or people's memories in here dont go back very far. Allright i'll take a trip down memory lane. In 81 the draft is still on a tuesday and wednesday and it starts out here on the west coast at 0600 hrs. I'm up at the crack of dawn and tell my pregnant wife i'm going to a bar to check out the NFL draft rather than going to work. At that moment i think she realized she made a mistake.

I'm at this restaurant/bar in Bellevue Wa. drinking bloody mary's as the sun's coming up and getting ready for the Seahawks early 1st round pick. Kenny Easely the great safety out of UCLA is now a Seahawk. About 3 tomatoe juice and vodkas later i'm standing there with some other geeks, the Sporting news or Pro Football Weekly in hand when i notice i'm standing next to Jim Zorn. Next pick is early 2nd round the Hawks take a RB named David Hughes out of Boise St. This is the honest to God's truth nobody had ever heard of him, not the fans not the media nobody.

CC.SD
02-01-2010, 05:20 PM
In retrospect the funniest was probably trading up for Ryan Leaf. Seeing Eli Manning pull his frowny face for the first and last time holding a Charger jersey was also hilarious.

Shere Khan
02-02-2010, 11:00 AM
Well, I don't know if you would call if funny.....maybe Salty would be a more apt title with this tale.

Anyway, I'm a Ohio University Bobcat alumni.
Our primary archrival is the Miami Redhawks.
I'm also a Bengals fan, so this will all make sense momentarily.

So the year is 2004.
I'm watching the draft....this is the year that the Steelers finish 6-10 or whatever, and they are picking 11th I believe.

I have already seen what ROFLsberger is capable of, seeing how I had been to a few OU home games (who knows why, maybe I'm a glutton for suffering).
He just completely destroyed us all the time.

I sat there, when the Steelers were on the clock, praying in my mind for them to take ANYONE but ROFLsberger. I knew that he would be bad news for us if they got him. Lo and behold, they selected him, and the legend began.

Ugh.....

Donno
02-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I was several coronas deep during the 2009 draft and the Raiders pick came by so I was all drunk excited. So me and my friends were like man they actually came up on Crabtree then Goodell came out and delivered the bad news. I was so pissed I pounded another beer to help the pain go away. Al you are ****** up.

PhinsRock
02-02-2010, 07:22 PM
The only thing thats ever funny is when teams make huge reaches, Teddy Ginn to the Dolphins, and DHB to the Raiders come to mind recently.

Yeah, I wasn't so excited when that happened.

Still haunts me to this day that we passed on Patrick Willis, Darelle Revis, Lawrence Timmons, Michael Griffin, Dwayne Bowe........etc etc.

Thanks again Coach Cammy!!

WMD
02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
Yeah because they turned out so well...
They would've been much better picks than Mike Williams.

therock6000
02-03-2010, 10:10 AM
I was flat broke during the 2006 draft (i.e. no cable), and didn't feel like sitting all day in a sports bar...so I went to a shoe store, sat down, and watched the entire first day there...