PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Hard Schedule Next Year... Dayum!

D-Unit
02-01-2010, 05:01 PM
http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/stories/020110dnspocowsked.375760e.html

Home Games
■ New Orleans Saints (13-3): Super Bowl Saints will seek revenge for loss at Superdome to Cowboys.

■ Chicago Bears (7-9): Brian Urlacher will return after being injured for most of the season, and Jay Cutler (we think) will throw fewer interceptions.

■ Detroit Lions (2-14): Don't laugh. Last time Lions came to Dallas (final game of 2006 season) they won.

■ Jacksonville Jaguars (7-9): Usually a tough defensive team; made a poor switch to a 3-4 defense and couldn't pressure the QB. Will move back to 4-3 for 2010.

■ Tennessee Titans (8-8): Scarier than their record might indicate. After an 0-6 start, Longhorns alumnus Vince Young took over and led a five-game winning streak and an 8-2 finish.

■ Washington Redskins (4-12): Mike Shanahan takes over and is bringing back Jason Campbell because he has no other option.

■ N.Y. Giants (8-8): New defensive coordinator Perry Fewell charged with restoring pride to disgraced defense. The Giants gave up 427 points last season, their most since 1966.

■ Philadelphia Eagles (11-5): Coach Andy Reid claims Donovan McNabb is his starter, but do we really believe him with Kevin Kolb wanting his chance?

Road games
■ Green Bay Packers (11-5): Cowboys go back to Lambeau for second straight year (they lost 17-7 in 2009).

■ Minnesota Vikings (12-4): Brett Favre retired (yeah, right), and if it's really true, the Vikes have no other options other than Sage Rosenfels and Tarvaris Jackson

■ Arizona Cardinals (10-6): Kurt Warner retires (more confident) and new QB Matt Leinart hasn't looked great yet.

■ Houston Texans (9-7): No longer a laughingstock. Matt Schaub is the real deal.

■ Indianapolis Colts (14-2): Easily the toughest game on the schedule.

■ Washington Redskins (4-12): New defensive coordinator Jim Haslett might switch to a 3-4 defense to be more like Dallas.

■ N.Y. Giants (8-8): Though Eli Manning is getting better, they need to re-establish rushing game that led team to Super Bowl.

■ Philadelphia Eagles (11-5): Can Eagles recover from three losses to the Cowboys?

Another bad sign: No host city team has ever made it to the Super Bowl. That means if the Cowboys can clinch the NFC's best record next season, they can be the only team to ever claim they have a true homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

E-Man
02-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I don't think the schedule is any harder next year than it was this year. The 2009 schedule was difficult too, but the Cowboys overcame the hard December schedule. The Cowboys are really built to beat any team on the schedule. That's not to say that they're going 16-0. What I'm saying is that the Cowboys are just as good a team as there is in the NFL, and I have faith that they'll do what good teams do when it comes to winning hard games during the season.

D-Unit
02-01-2010, 05:46 PM
I don't think the schedule is any harder next year than it was this year. The 2009 schedule was difficult too, but the Cowboys overcame the hard December schedule. The Cowboys are really built to beat any team on the schedule. That's not to say that they're going 16-0. What I'm saying is that the Cowboys are just as good a team as there is in the NFL, and I have faith that they'll do what good teams do when it comes to winning hard games during the season.
We hardly played any teams with a winning record.

Sniper
02-01-2010, 05:49 PM
■ Philadelphia Eagles (11-5): Coach Andy Reid claims Donovan McNabb is his starter, but do we really believe him with Kevin Kolb wanting his chance?

Yes? They're married to each other.

LonghornsLegend
02-01-2010, 08:32 PM
I only found 3 games we should win on paper, Detroit, Chicago, and Jacksonville, no reason to lose to those teams. Arizona maybe, because Leinart is trash to me and a good pass rush is how you beat him. Other then that, oh well, were in the NFC East and used to tough schedules all the time.

That's honestly better for this team then cupcakes, I like a tough schedule to keep us on our toes. I also don't think the SB has ever been in a city where that team could be considered a favorite before the year to go.

I could be wrong, because I'm just thinking off my head, but typically the city that host the SB, that same team is terrible for the most part. It may have not always been that way, but I wish there was a chart to go back and look to check. From what I can remember, it's been very rare for the SB hosting city to have had a very good team that year also.

Key thing is we did 3 huge things for this team going into 2010:

1) Winning record in December. We don't have to hear about it, it's a non story, we know we can do it.

2) We won a playoff game. Huge for Wade and Romo in particuliar. Same reasons as #1 too. No more 15 year drought talk blah blah blah.

3) We won a regular season finale. Also don't have to hear about this crap anymore.

I said before the season if we could accomplish these things I'd call the season a sucess and view it as such. These were huge hurdles and while they maybe didn't hold us back, it's less things to focus on and answer questions about now and we know for a fact we can do it. If we come back hungry no reason we still shouldn't have a leg up on the Division and that's the big thing.

E-Man
02-01-2010, 10:27 PM
We hardly played any teams with a winning record.

The Cowboys had 6 games against teams with winning records this season. Next year they play 8. This season they also played three 8-8 teams, including two against the rival Giants that is always a hard game. Next year they play three as well. In 2009 the 'Boys played the NFC's Number 1 seed, and the AFC's number 2 seed. Next year they play both conference's number 1 seeds, and the number two NFC seed. 2009 had a schedule that included 7 games against teams that made the playoffs in 2007. The 2010 schedule has 6 games with 2009 playoff teams.

The schedules aren't that much different. And remember what you said before this season that there are many unknowns. Many playoff teams this year won't make it next year, and Dallas could be included in that same category if things don't go their way. Looking at the talent and finish that the Cowboys had this season, there is plenty of reason to think that they could beat any team on their schedule. This team is semi young in some key areas, and maturity will be the x-factor in the 2010 season.

D-Unit
02-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Think we can win the NFC East 3 out of 4 years? That would be nice. :D

E-Man
02-01-2010, 11:22 PM
^Yeah it would be nice. I think that the playoff monkey will open up some goodness. I'm trying to keep my homerism in check to be objective, but I'm liking Romo's development. I think he'll be monster for the next 4 years.

frubulubu
02-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Looks like a schedule to be happy sbout, oh wait im the Eagle fan.

LizardState
02-02-2010, 10:44 AM
Another bad sign: No host city team has ever made it to the Super Bowl. That means if the Cowboys can clinch the NFC's best record next season, they can be the only team to ever claim they have a true homefield advantage throughout the playoffs.

Uhhhmmmm, yes & no. Closest any team came to that was the 9ers at the 1985 SB at Stanford Stadium <20 mi. from downtown SF, not technically in SF though. Memorable b/c it was the 1st rookie QB to start in a SB I think in Dan Marino vs. Joe Montana, the 9ers shredded them in a foggy SB game.

Road games
■ Green Bay Packers (11-5): Cowboys go back to Lambeau for second straight year (they lost 17-7 in 2009).

What date is this game? Hope it's not after Thanksgiving, I'm so sick of this playing in single digit temperatures, frozen tundra of Lambeau Field nonsense. I'm guessing the only other late-season brutal cold road games are in NYC vs the Giants & in Philly.

Ward
02-03-2010, 05:31 PM
That is a tough looking schedule on paper, but the offseason will change everything. Looking on that schedule I only see a few locks: Chicago, Detroit, Jville, Tennessee, and both Washington games.

Paul
02-03-2010, 05:32 PM
When was the last time GB came to Dallas? I mean honestly.

Edit: 2007. Whoops.

Ward
02-03-2010, 05:33 PM
When was the last time GB came to Dallas? I mean honestly.

Edit: 2007. Whoops.

I will NEVER forget that game!

LizardState
02-04-2010, 08:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit :

Yes? They're married to each other.

I thought the city of Brotherly Love replaced their Rocky Balboa statue on those steps with a life size bronze of Kevin Kolb. :eek:

And he would have to fight off former Federal criminal Michael Vick for the starting job.

But seriously folks.... from the way the talking heads are discussing it, McNabb was never forgiven there for his/Reid's very poor clock mgmt. in thier last drive in their last SB loss, so McNabb has his bags packed with one foot outta town now. And it might be true, some team might get him for a 3rd. But that's another thread ..............