PDA

View Full Version : Senior Bowl Risers/Fallers

DaBrowns41
02-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Risers

Offense

Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane- Despite not having the ideal size and speed combination, Williams made the most of his Senior Bowl opportunity. Starting with 1 on 1 drills on Tuesdayís first full pads practice, he showed his ability to get in and out of his cuts, and separate from the defensive back. He also showed an excellent ability to come back for the ball, rather than letting it come right to him. Following a solid week of practice, he caught 6 balls for 82 yards, while also having a 27 yard scamper on the ground. Again, because heís not extremely fast, he could slip into the 3rd round, but heís a guy that could step into a team right away and get quality playing time.

Dexter McCluster, RB/WR, Ole Miss- 3 carries for -1 yards in the Senior Bowl doesnít keep me from thinking that McCluster helped his stock immensely this week. He showed more promise in the passing game than anything, pulling a nice double move on Javier Arenas and making a diving catch. Also, on Tuesday he had a great quick slant, in which Arenas was burned. He caught 3 balls for 30 yards in the Senior Bowl, while also having a costly fumble, but the important thing is that he showed his versatility even more. You can put him in the slot, in the backfield, or returning kicks, and heís going to produce, which is why I think heís going to be a hot commodity in the 2nd round.

LaGarrette Blount, RB, Oregon- Blount has had a rough year following the Boise State game. After being suspended for most of the season, Blount came back strong in his last two games, despite getting limited carries, averaging around 6 yards a carry with a pair of touchdowns. This week he showed good vision in practice, and continued that in the game for a 14 yard touchdown that he bounced to the outside. Blountís character issues may push him down to the 3rd or 4th round, but he could be a steal. Coming in at 245 pounds, he also seemed to be in great shape.

Dan LeFevour, QB, Central Michigan- While I donít see LeFevour as a 2nd round pick like Corey Chavous, I think he did move up a round, possibly 4th, in the draft. LeFevour really did all he could to make a smooth transition to playing under center, as he ran a shotgun spread offense for 4 years at Central Michigan. He made several nice throws in 7 on 7 drills, a couple in which he squeezed in between defenders. Heís always been able to make plays on his feet, while also throwing on the run, which may make a team covet him a bit more to put him in the bottom of the 3rd round, but most likely middle of the 4th.

Defense

Brandon Graham, DE/OLB, Michigan- Graham just had a great week, and really showed scouts that he wants to be a top 15 draft pick. Despite a lack of ideal size, he embarrassed some of the offensive tackles this week. He showed a great display of power and finesse, which threw the tackles off. He just adjusted to the blockers very well, and knew what moves he needed to put on to get to the QB. He had 2 sacks and a forced fumble in the North defenses dominance of the Senior Bowl. Graham may have pushed his way into the top 20 after this performance.

Dan Williams, DT, Tennessee- Other than Graham, I canít think of another defensive lineman that helped themselves more. Williams just proved doubters wrong about him gaining those 15-20 pounds this season, and he played a great Senior Bowl, following an effective week. In double team drills he did a great job of holding the point of attack, and also showed that he can be both a 1 or 2 gap player, making him more versatile. Right now he looks like he could be a dominant NT in either a 34 or a 43. Heís a top 20 pick in this draft.

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State- What we knew about Wilson was that he was fast. However, he showed an excellent ability to break on the ball and also get physical at the line. His best trait is his breakaway speed. He baits quarterbacks to throw it his way, so that he can jump in for a deflection, if not a pick. Heís very versatile as he can play safety as well as corner, and he was great in one on oneís this week. He also has a lot of value as a kick returner for teams and may have pushed himself into the first round.

Sean Weatherspoon, LB, Missouri- Weatherspoon is a guy thatís very underrated. Many people have him as a first round pick (albeit a late one), but donít really know why. The reason why is because heís a phenomenal athlete who can do it all. Heís a defensive leader and very vocal, and thatís another great trait. One of the best things about Weatherspoon is his ability to cover as a linebacker. The Senior Bowl showed that he also has an uncanny ability to read and react, much like his defensive teammate Daryl Washington, who also excelled for the North defense. Weatherspoon should be a lock for the first round.

Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State- I really liked what I saw out of Odrick. Being a Big Ten follower, Iíve enjoyed watching Odrick for the last couple of seasons, and he just seems to be getting better. Heís a great space eater because heís very strong, and he showed that in the double team drills, as well as in the game for the North defense. He was a big reason that the North defense held the talented South running backs to just 30 yards on the ground. Thereís no reason why Odrick would slip out of the 1st in any other draft. However, he could make it to the early 2nd because of the depth of DT, among talent in general in this 2010 NFL Draft.

Daryl Washington, LB, TCU- Daryl Washington may be the linebacker thatís going to rise the highest. In the NFL today, you have to be able to excel in coverage being that weíre evolving into a passing football league, and Washington may be the best cover linebacker in the entire draft. Washingtonís worries were that he didnít get off blocks and may not be physical enough due to his size, but he showed nothing but physicality in this one, even making a great tackle off of a nice coverage sack on Tebow. Washington may be able to slip into the first round, assuming heíll have a good combine, however, size may be of a bit of a concern for some teams.

Fallers

Offense

Tim Tebow, QB, Florida- Tebow struggled in practice his first day fumbling snaps, and really struggling to get the hang of being underneath a center. In no pressure throwing drills, he struggled to have accuracy when putting zip on the ball. His most accurate passes were lobs going for 15-20 yards. In a few 7 on 7 drills he had a couple tipped balls that appeared to be nowhere near the wide receivers. Heís got a slow throwing motion, and bad footwork, really struggling in 3 and 5 step drops. His touch is another aspect of his game he needs to improve to become a quality quarterback at the next level. He really needs a good amount of work to really prove that he deserves to be higher than a 3rd round draft grade.

Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati- Pike is a guy that Iíve never been high on. I honestly see him as a Derek Anderson like player, who was bailed out by solid offensive talent, and playing mediocre or worse defenses. Pike has a decent arm, but lacks the touch you need as a QB in the NFL. His footwork is very poor and heís another shotgun/spread offense quarterback that seemed to struggle a lot under center just like Tim Tebow, unlike his counterpart, Dan LeFevour. Pike should be a 5th round pick, as a developmental guy, with a 4th round ceiling.

Mike Iupati, OG, Idaho- After Mike Mayock hyped Iupati up as a guy that can play all 5 offensive line positions, he sure disappointed. Excelling in the run game, Iupati really showed his weakness in the passing game while playing RG lined up against Geno Atkins. On one drive he should have been called for blatant holds twice. Atkins got the best of him almost every passing play, and he just embarrassed Iupati. However, Iupati played pretty well at offensive tackle, which is confusing because his calling seems to be offensive guard. I think heís still a first round draft pick, as he is a versatile guy, with long arms who excels in the run game, but if he plays like he did Saturday in the NFL, he could bust easily.

Taylor Price, WR, Ohio- Price just did not have a good week overall. He was consistently getting jammed at the line of scrimmage, rounded off his routes, and dropped a few balls. Despite having a few balls thrown at him, he had 1 catch for 8 yards in the Senior Bowl, and really struggled with getting separation from corners. Lacking top end speed, he really needed to show a display of soft hands and crisp route running, and he failed to do that. Heís still a guy that could go fringe 4th round.

Defense

Taylor Mays, S, USC- Let it be known that Iíve never been a Mays fan. For 2 seasons, Iíve had people try to convince me how great of a player he is and I just donít see it. This week didnít help his cause. Tuesdayís practice was just ugly for him. He wonít be playing corner, so it may be unfair to rate his man coverage, but he grabs all over players when he knows heís been beat, and he struggles to turn back for the ball. Watching the game, I saw no improvement on wrap up tackling. He had Bell for a 6 yard gain, and instead he just put a shoulder into him, allowing Bell to stay on his feet to pick up 5 more yards. He had a great interception, but that one play doesnít make up for all of his faults during the week. I think a team is going to grab him in the first simply because heíll most likely have a great combine, but I think he could easily slip into the 2nd round with guys like Earl Thomas evolving as true play making safeties.

Javier Arenas, CB, Alabama- Arenas already is a shorter cornerback at 5í8, so heís already going to shoot down the boards, however, heís always made up for it in speed. In practices, he just could not cover speed receivers and got in trouble a couple times trying to sit on a WRís route. He did poorly trying to break on the ball, and while he made a few nice tackles and shows a lot of heart, just doesnít look like a guy that can make a significant impact in the NFL. Iím saying he ends up a 5th-6th rounder, with a potential bright future as a special teamer.

Brandon Lang, DE/OLB, Troy- One of the most disappointing players for me this week was Lang, who I was a fan of for the last couple seasons. He showed poor burst, and only seems to have one move when pass rushing. He seemed to really struggle against stronger offensive lineman, and had trouble adjusting to the quicker offensive tackles. Lang could be a good later round project for a team, in the mold of Larry English, who got significant playing time this season with San Diego.

Terrence Cody, NT, Alabama- The biggest problem with Cody is the weight he came in at. Showing up to the Senior Bowl at 370 pounds really raised some eyebrows, and not in a good way. Being overweight limits the snaps heíll get in the NFL, making him less likely to be taken in the first round. Character issues because of potential laziness will be on the back of the scoutsí minds. Cody slips to the middle of the 2nd round, despite being a great run stuffer.

Trevard Lindley, CB, Kentucky- Lindley was one of my personal disappointments. I really thought heíd come in and really show that he can be up there with guys like Kyle Wilson and Perrish Cox. Instead, Lindley failed to be physical at the line, didnít look back for the ball, and at times gave way too big a cushion for receivers, which got exposed in one on one drills and a few times in 7 on 7ís. For a guy thatís as physical as him, I was surprised to see a lack of push at the line, which is why heís going to need to have a great combine to get back into the bottom of the 2nd round.

GoRavens
02-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Mike Iupati didn't disappoint at all.
He's a little raw, and the coaches were moving him around a lot to see his potential. But as a guard, the dudes an animal, still a solid 1st round pick.

DaBrowns41
02-02-2010, 09:30 AM
"I think he’s still a first round draft pick, as he is a versatile guy, with long arms who excels in the run game, but if he plays like he did Saturday in the NFL, he could bust easily."

If you didn't think he disappointed, especially after Mike Mayock was saying that he can easily play all 5 offensive line positions AND that OG was his calling, then you're being silly.

I think he's a first round talent. I'm just saying that he made a lot of mistakes on Saturday.

TitanHope
02-02-2010, 09:44 AM
Great write up! Totally agree on the Offensive and Defensive Risers, and I agree with the Offensive Fallers. But, there are some points I have for some Fallers.

I don't think Mays hurt himself. He may've had some bad moments, but he also made some plays.

Javier Arenas is going to be drafted for his PR/KR abilities, not his CB skills. And he displayed his elite RS skills last weekend. He's at least a 4th RD'er based on that alone, and he provides CB depth and can cover kicks. I have him as a 3rd RD'er, personally, and I think he'll be a great RS/good NB. Bama blitzed their CB's a lot this season, so Arenas coming in on a NB blitz should be effective.

I'm not a Mt. Cody fan, but I think his Senior Bowl more so confirmed our suspicions of him rather than added on to his faults. We knew he had weight issues, and that he was likely a 2-down player at the next level until he became conditioned. But when he was on the field, he was the same immovable object that he was at Bama. I pretty much agree with the issues you pinpointed though.

Anyway, great stuff!

yourfavestoner
02-02-2010, 10:36 AM
You know what, this is a weak corner class but whoever gets Haden and Wilson are going to be verrrrry happy.

Day One Pick
02-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Tony Pike, QB, Cincinnati- Pike is a guy that I’ve never been high on. I honestly see him as a Derek Anderson like player, who was bailed out by solid offensive talent, and playing mediocre or worse defenses. Pike has a decent arm, but lacks the touch you need as a QB in the NFL. His footwork is very poor and he’s another shotgun/spread offense quarterback that seemed to struggle a lot under center just like Tim Tebow, unlike his counterpart, Dan LeFevour. Pike should be a 5th round pick, as a developmental guy, with a 4th round ceiling.

While I can't say Pike helped himself, I don't think he hurt himself either. I actually heard from a reliable source that he had a little buzz going in the middle of the week.

What I really disagree with is your reasoning for Pike falling. I think one thing he has going for him is good touch, and you said he lacked it. I also don't see his footwork as bad, I see it as quite good for the stage he's in. He just doesn't drive off his front foot right, but that's only one part of his overall good footwork.

I would have agreed if you noted him not driving off his front foot and as a result lacking some zip on the ball. He also is thin, and there are worries about the corelation between his weight and past injuries. He also doesn't seem to trust his arm.

Some things he did show was his accuracy, pocket pressence, he keeps his eyes down the field, his nice touch, ability to avoid the rush, he doesn't force passes, and he's "sneaky athletic."

RealityCheck
02-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Kyle Wilson didn't rise. He skyrocketed.

DaBrowns41
02-02-2010, 05:44 PM
While I can't say Pike helped himself, I don't think he hurt himself either. I actually heard from a reliable source that he had a little buzz going in the middle of the week.

What I really disagree with is your reasoning for Pike falling. I think one thing he has going for him is good touch, and you said he lacked it. I also don't see his footwork as bad, I see it as quite good for the stage he's in. He just doesn't drive off his front foot right, but that's only one part of his overall good footwork.

I would have agreed if you noted him not driving off his front foot and as a result lacking some zip on the ball. He also is thin, and there are worries about the corelation between his weight and past injuries. He also doesn't seem to trust his arm.

Some things he did show was his accuracy, pocket pressence, he keeps his eyes down the field, his nice touch, ability to avoid the rush, he doesn't force passes, and he's "sneaky athletic."

Well, on a few different occasions, he didn't get his feet set, and it was frustrating to see him come out to a 3 or 5 step drop at times. I will agree about the drive off the foot, which was just another thing.

Maybe I just was being too picky, and it's something I'll re-evaluate since you brought it up. I just wasn't impressed with Pike at all this week. I'm also hesitant about his size. He's got chicken legs, and if he's going to be a starting NFL QB, he needs to bulk up a bit and help prevent injury.

Thanks for the comment!

JRTPlaya21
02-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Enjoyed the read. Thanks DaBrowns. Kind of surprised you didn't have the lineman from Mass in your fallers.

superman8456
02-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Tyson Alualu did a good job and rose his stock quite a bit.

Babylon
02-02-2010, 06:14 PM
Kyle Wilson didn't rise. He skyrocketed.

As he was skyrocketing Selvish Capers was nosediving in the opposite direction.

adamprez2003
02-02-2010, 07:49 PM
i dont know how you dont have geno atkins as a riser. i would even include his partner in crime jeff owens. andre roberts is another on the offensive side that helped his stock imo

SwagU
02-02-2010, 08:05 PM
Watching the practices I thought Tebow made alot of progress, but he lost all of that during the game. Very disapointed.

zachsaints52
02-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Weatherspoon is more then likely outta reach nowadays for the Saints, and that sucks

SeanTaylorRIP
02-02-2010, 08:19 PM
TBH The only thing separating Weatherspoon from Aaron Curry as a prospect is mean streak.

TACKLE
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
TBH The only thing separating Weatherspoon from Aaron Curry as a prospect is mean streak.

Which one is lacking a mean streak? Weatherspoon? I don't think so. The only difference is 2 inches and 15lbs.

Brothgar
02-02-2010, 08:28 PM
I think George Selvie is missing from the risers section. Did very well at both DE and LB drills for any team who runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4 selvie will be invaluable.

adamprez2003
02-02-2010, 09:53 PM
I think George Selvie is missing from the risers section. Did very well at both DE and LB drills for any team who runs a hybrid 4-3/3-4 selvie will be invaluable. problem is he followed up the practices with a rather mundane game. i think he mightve improved somewhat for 3-4 teams but I think he has the same questions about his game after the Senior Bowl week as before. And I'm saying that as a huge Selvie fan. I was thinking he might rise to the 2nd round after the practices. After the game I think he's still a 3rd

DaBrowns41
02-04-2010, 06:52 AM
Which one is lacking a mean streak? Weatherspoon? I don't think so. The only difference is 2 inches and 15lbs.

I'd agree. Weatherspoon's size is what he's lacking, IMO.

Addict
02-04-2010, 07:11 AM
Scott seems pretty positive about Mays' performance. The big play does help mays' cause.

STsACE
02-04-2010, 09:01 AM
Well, on a few different occasions, he didn't get his feet set, and it was frustrating to see him come out to a 3 or 5 step drop at times. I will agree about the drive off the foot, which was just another thing.

Maybe I just was being too picky, and it's something I'll re-evaluate since you brought it up. I just wasn't impressed with Pike at all this week. I'm also hesitant about his size. He's got chicken legs, and if he's going to be a starting NFL QB, he needs to bulk up a bit and help prevent injury.

Thanks for the comment!

I've liked Pike for a while, as a 3-4 year project QB. He needs to add a good 20 lbs. I like him as a late 4th rounder/mid 5th rounder. He's got some good skills and is coachable, as long as it's early in his career unlike DA, who you compared him to. I wouldn't even mind him with our early 5th (Browns) since we have a QB guru judge of talent, Holmgren.

And I feel ya on Mt. Cody. I know people want a BIG 3-4 NT, but seeing him at Senior week, he reminded me of Ted Washington, man that was nightmare for us. Cody needs to drop 20lbs by the combine and chisel himself out whatever he can by then, P90X x 2 for this kid. I think SR started the season out for us around 350lbs, but he was still somewhat out of shape where he didn't play preseason. Mt. Cody could probably do well starting at 350 since he's younger than a NT like SR. I wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the top 20 if he drops 20 and muscles up.

LizardState
02-04-2010, 09:22 AM
Didn't see the practices & had to rely on info relayed through those who did here. As far as the game was concerned I would add to the risers McCourty from Rutgers & Rolle from Florida St. despite limited playing time.

Add to fallers & disappointments OL Trent Williams & Russell Okung for not even coming to the Senior Bowl at all.

FlyingElvis
02-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Great write up.

The Pike comments may be somewhat colored by your first phrase describing him: "Pike is a guy that Iíve never been high on." I don't think he hurt his stock much but I really couldn't pay as much attention to the week of practice as I would have liked.

I honestly don't see what the buzz is on Iupati. The guy was grabbing jerseys and pads on virtually every passing play. Great, he's versatile enough to play every position . . . and get flagged as a G or OT . . . ??? I understand that he can be coached up and hopefully get better using his hands but I'd rather not see him go to my team in round one. Several Pats fans have a raging woody for him and I think he'd be terrible in such a pass happy system.

Great additions by others here regarding risers and sliders, too. Excellent read throughout.

BigBanger
02-04-2010, 07:18 PM
As he was skyrocketing Selvish Capers was nosediving in the opposite direction.
If anyone actually watched Capers during the season, they might have thought he looked better during the Senior Bowl than he dud during the season, and he looked pretty goddamn awful during the Senior Bowl. Capers was incredibly overrated, especially around here. All this first round talk and playing LT... no, never had a chance.

Having talent is one thing, but having no idea how to apply that talent makes for a pretty worthless player. Capers is too raw and too sluggish on the field. He's a pretty big project.

DraftSwag
02-04-2010, 07:34 PM
At the end of the day you can hate on Selvish Capers all you want but the dude has the tools that translate into a pro bowl left tackle. Offensive line is probably the only position in football where players continue to develop through coaching. Capers was a converted tight end kind of like Jason Peters. With the right o-line coach and mindset I wouldnt be suprised to see him develop. He compares to guys like Tony Hills from the Steelers and Demetrius Bell from the Bills.

wonderbredd24
02-04-2010, 07:37 PM

And ability to shed blocks, playmaking ability, hitting power, ability to carry weight and maintain speed, so on and so forth

wonderbredd24
02-04-2010, 07:39 PM
I don't think anyone's opinion of Tebow changed. People knew he was a project coming in. He didn't change anyone's mind on that. I don't believe anyone had expectations Tebow didn't meet.

If anything, he showed he had better footwork than people anticipated.

superman8456
02-04-2010, 07:58 PM
And ability to shed blocks, playmaking ability, hitting power, ability to carry weight and maintain speed, so on and so forth

You're kidding, right?

Weatherspoon weighed 241 lbs. at the senior bowl. Not that big of a difference from Curry's 254 lbs., in my opinion. Weatherspoon is also a little bit faster than Curry as well. I wouldn't question Weatherspoon's playmaking, because he did it all season. Missouri just had a piss poor season, so you didnt get to see as much of him maybe. Sean can lay the wood. Plain and simple. His ability to shed blocks isn't very high, but it is still an NFL caliber.

wonderbredd24
02-04-2010, 08:01 PM
You're kidding, right?

Weatherspoon weighed 241 lbs. at the senior bowl. Not that big of a difference from Curry's 254 lbs., in my opinion. Weatherspoon is also a little bit faster than Curry as well. I wouldn't question Weatherspoon's playmaking, because he did it all season. Missouri just had a piss poor season, so you didnt get to see as much of him maybe. Sean can lay the wood. Plain and simple. His ability to shed blocks isn't very high, but it is still an NFL caliber.

And Scott's suggestion for Weatherspoon? He should drop some weight, because he looked sluggish.

Not only that, but 13lbs is a pretty big difference already and Curry at that weight destroyed his 40 time on a slow track.

Curry can play in the 4-3 or 3-4. Weatherspoon simply cannot.

Curry was an elite prospect for a reason

BigBanger
02-04-2010, 08:23 PM
At the end of the day you can hate on Selvish Capers all you want but the dude has the tools that translate into a pro bowl left tackle.
And right now, he is no where close to a Pro Bowl player. He isn't even a starting caliber player. He's a project. He was made out to be something he isn't. When you see guys in college making him look foolish, guys that wont even be in the NFL, then I could care less about his tools. They do no good if you have no technique and no awareness on the field.

You draft Capers in the middle rounds hoping to get a potential starter. More than likely, you're getting a project and a future backup... IF he pans out. The way he plays now, he has no future in the NFL. He needs coaching and a good fit scheme wise.