PDA

View Full Version : Football Quotes

Scott Wright
02-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Somebody forward me an e-mail with a bunch of good football quotes.

I figured this board would enjoy it as well:

#1. 'After you retire, there's only one big event left... and I ain't ready for that..' Bobby Bowden / Florida State

#2. 'The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.' Lou Holtz / Arkansas

#3. 'There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you.' Woody Hayes / Ohio State

#4. 'I don't expect to win enough games to be put on NCAA probation. I just want to win enough to warrant an investigation' Bob Devaney / Nebraska

#5. 'It's kind of hard to rally around a math class.' Bear Bryant / Alabama

#6. 'I make my practices real hard because if a player is a quitter, I want him to quit in practice, not in a game.' Bear Bryant / Alabama

#7. 'I never graduated from Iowa , but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's.' Alex Karras / Iowa

#8. 'My advice to defensive players: Take the shortest route to the ball and arrive in a bad humor.' Bowden Wyatt / Tennessee

#9. 'I could have been a Rhodes Scholar, except for my grades.' Duffy Daugherty / Michigan State

#10. 'Always remember.... Goliath was a 40 point favorite over David.' Shug Jordan / Auburn

#11. 'I asked Darrell Royal, the coach of the Texas Longhorns, why he didn't recruit me and he said: 'Well, Walt, we took a look at you and you weren't any good.' Walt Garrison / Oklahoma State

#12. 'Son, you've got a good engine, but your hands aren't on the steering wheel.' Bobby Bowden / Florida St

#13. 'Football is not a contact sport - it is a collision sport. Dancing is a contact sport.'
Duffy Daugherty / Michigan ST

#14. After USC lost 51-0 to Notre Dame, his postgame message to his team: 'All those who need showers, take them.' John McKay / USC

#15. 'If lessons are learned in defeat, our team is getting a great education.' Murray Warmath / Minnesota

#16. 'The only qualifications for a lineman are to be big and dumb. To be a back, you only have to be dumb.' 'Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

#17. 'It isn't necessary to see a good tackle. You can hear it.' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

#18. 'We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking.' Wilson Matthews / Little Rock Central High School

#19. 'I've found that prayers work best when you have big players.' Knute Rockne / Notre Dame

#20.. 'Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football.' John Heisman AUBURN

CJSchneider
02-02-2010, 06:16 PM
Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

BTW, #20 is awesome.

Razor
02-02-2010, 06:21 PM
Great stuff! I can't think of a thread containing great football quotes without some of Vince Lombardis great quotes. And there are a lot of them!
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/v/vince_lombardi.html

I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious.

It's not whether you get knocked down, it's whether you get up.

Show me a good loser, and I'll show you a loser.

Edit: Oh.. CJ beat me to it.

tjsunstein
02-02-2010, 06:27 PM
Needs more Vince Lombardi.

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Coaches who can outline plays on a black board are a dime a dozen. The ones who win get inside their player and motivate.
Vince Lombardi

Confidence is contagious. So is lack of confidence.
Vince Lombardi

Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price.
Vince Lombardi

Fatigue makes cowards of us all.
Vince Lombardi

Football is like life - it requires perseverance, self-denial, hard work, sacrifice, dedication and respect for authority.
Vince Lombardi

RealityCheck
02-02-2010, 06:30 PM
"You play to win the game."
Herm Edwards

"We need to be physical with a capital F."
Mike Singletary

"You don't have to win it, just don't lose it."
Ray Lewis

"What about football? Is it a sport or a concussion?"
Jim Murray, L.A. Times

"You have to play this game like somebody just hit your mother with a two-by-four."
Dan Birdwell

"I don't know whether I prefer Astroturf to grass. I never smoked Astroturf."
Joe Namath

tjsunstein
02-02-2010, 06:31 PM
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?
Vince Lombardi

If you aren't fired with enthusiasm, you will be fired with enthusiasm.
Vince Lombardi

If you can accept losing, you can't win.
Vince Lombardi

Kramer
02-02-2010, 06:34 PM
"Brett Favre is good"- John Madden

"Brett Favre is amazing"- John Madden

"Where did my run plays go?"- Andy Reid

"Speed kills, not only the other team but our franchise"- Al Davis on drafting fast players in the draft who eventually turn out to be busts

Couldn't resist, sorry.

DoughBoy
02-02-2010, 06:42 PM
I know I am butchering the hell out of this, but wasn't there a guy in the NFL who said something like...

If you need a yard I will get you a yard, if you need 3 yards, I will get you a yard.

CJSchneider
02-02-2010, 09:05 PM
"Come after me! I'm a man; I'm 40"
Mike Gundy

"Play-offs?"
Jim Mora

"The Bears are who we thought they were!"
Dennis Green

CJSchneider
02-02-2010, 09:08 PM
I know I am butchering the hell out of this, but wasn't there a guy in the NFL who said something like...

If you need a yard I will get you a yard, if you need 3 yards, I will get you a yard.

It was more like if we need 1 yard, I'll get 3. If we need 5 yards, I'll still get 3.

I know the quote you are thinking about. For some reason the Chargers come to mind. I'm not sure if that is right though.

prock
02-02-2010, 09:12 PM
It was more like if we need 1 yard, I'll get 3. If we need 5 yards, I'll still get 3.

I know the quote you are thinking about. For some reason the Chargers come to mind. I'm not sure if that is right though.

leroy hoard. one of my favorite vikings of all time.

CJSchneider
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Football doesn't build character, it reveals character!
Marv Levy

When I played pro football, I never set out to hurt anyone deliberately - unless it was, you know, important, like a league game or something.
Dick Butkus

When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time.
Max McGee

The_Dude
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Confirmed. Leroy Hoard had the best quote ever.

P-L
02-02-2010, 09:45 PM
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/2008/12/rlemmittquotes.html

dabears10
02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
Wasn't #18 Tampa Bay Bucs coach John McKay?
http://www.bucpower.com/expfeature-quotes.html

“It bothers me that they (the national media) have picked us to be the worst team in football. Because what they are doing now is challenging your physical and your mental capacity and my ability to coach you. Now, this hurts me. Second worst team, I could stand it. But not the worst team.”

“We’ve broken down the expansion teams and they’ve averaged winning 2.7 games their first year, which to me is rather difficult. I figured out the 2, but the .7 has got me wondering what the hell is going on.”

When he heard that one of the kickers during training camp, Pete Rajecki, had mentioned he was nervous kicking in front of his coach, McKay asked that the press “Tell Mr. Rajecki that I plan to attend all the games.”

"Kickers are like horse manure. They're all over the place."

"We didn't tackle well today but we made up for it by not blocking."

"Intensity is a lot of guys that run fast."

"Emotion is highly overrated in football. My wife Corky is emotional as hell but can't play football worth a damn."

On his team's blocking strategy: "Hold when you're at home and don't hold when you're on the road."

"If you have everyone back from a team that lost ten games, experience isn't too important."

On how coaching an expansion team is a religious experience: "You do a lot of praying, but most of the time the answer is 'no.' "

“I’ll probably take a little time off and go hide somewhere. We will be back. Maybe not this century, but we will be back and we will be a better football team.”

On the Buccaneers poor special-teams play, “They were absolutely horrible and that’s the best thing I can say. Besides that they were bad. These people are not poorly paid you know.”

On the play of Joe Namath in the Jets 34-0 victory over Tampa Bay, “Namath is still Namath, but I must say that our guys were nice to him. I noticed when they knocked him down, they helped him to his feet. That was gentlemanly. I thought one stood around long enough to get his autograph.”

On how badly the Bucs looked in losing to the Steelers 42-0, “There were times I felt like leaving the stadium and hitchhiking home.”

"If a contest had ninety-seven prizes, the ninety-eighth would be a trip to Green Bay."

On Tampa Bay ending its 26-game losing streak: "Three or four plane crashes and we're in the playoffs."

TitleTown088
02-02-2010, 10:31 PM
How about this gem?

"Brett Favre's not afraid to throw a game ending pick. It's one of the things I admire about him." - Tom Jackson

What, wat?

LonghornsLegend
02-02-2010, 10:55 PM
"You play to win the game."
Herm Edwards

You can't complete that quote without the "HELLO?!?!" at the end, that's what makes it 10x more awesome.

Whistler6
02-02-2010, 11:04 PM
"You're the needle dick"
-Bobby Bouchet

wogitalia
02-03-2010, 01:07 AM
That's hurtful TT... Real hurtful.

A Perfect Score
02-03-2010, 01:38 AM
I know you are talking about real quotes...but I cant let this thread continue without...

"Life's this game of inches. So's football."

and...

"Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory lasts forever."

A Perfect Score
02-03-2010, 01:59 AM
Also...

9rFx6OFooCs

descendency
02-03-2010, 02:58 AM
"This is what is great about sports. This is the greatest things about sports. You play to win the game. HELLO?!?! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. You don't play it to just play it. This is the greatest thing about sports: You play to win, and I don't care if you don't have any wins. You go play to win. When you start tellin' me it doesn't matter, then retire. Get out! 'Cause it matters."
-Herm Edwards.

One my my favorite quotes of all time. All you need to do is change a few words in the sentence and you could apply it to anything. That man is one awesome motivator.

TitleTown088
02-03-2010, 11:26 AM
That's hurtful TT... Real hurtful.
I wasn't posting it to be hurtful toward Viking fans, I was posting it to show how stupid Tom Jackson sounds there.

FuzzyGopher
02-03-2010, 12:03 PM
When asked how he feels about his team's execution..
"I'm in favor of it." -John McKay

"Three things can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad." - Woody Hayes

Razor
02-03-2010, 12:12 PM
"This is what is great about sports. This is the greatest things about sports. You play to win the game. HELLO?!?! YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME. You don't play it to just play it. This is the greatest thing about sports: You play to win, and I don't care if you don't have any wins. You go play to win. When you start tellin' me it doesn't matter, then retire. Get out! 'Cause it matters."
-Herm Edwards.

One my my favorite quotes of all time. All you need to do is change a few words in the sentence and you could apply it to anything. That man is one awesome motivator.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLlIdZikDk

JFLO
02-03-2010, 03:49 PM
"What's the point of going if you aren't going all the way" , something like that

---Joe Namath

That grass/astroturf one killed me. Oh Broadway Joe, what will we do with you.

Brothgar
02-03-2010, 04:06 PM
Describing an opposing team: Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck.
- Don Shula

Maybe a good rule in life is never become too important to do your own laundry.
- Barry Sanders

I wouldn't ever set out to hurt anyone deliberately unless it was, you know, important -like a league game or something.
- Dick Butkus

Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.
- Joe Theismann

om_yq4L3M_I

wogitalia
02-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I wasn't posting it to be hurtful toward Viking fans, I was posting it to show how stupid Tom Jackson sounds there.

The Vikes thing is an added bonus though right? Not that he never did it to you guys or anything...

Ahh!!!