PDA

View Full Version : Early draft observations:

Ozzy
02-03-2010, 09:52 AM
Have not done any mock draft stuff till know, a few things stood out for me.

Suh, McCoy and Price should all be gone within the first 10 selections.

Seahawks have a big selection that could change the draft a lot based on what they do.

Do they take a quarterback like Clausen or Bradford?
Do they take a defensive tackle like Price?
Do they take a corner like Haden?
Do they take a safety like Mays?

They can go a lot of ways but I would say best bet is a player like Price. Some might consider it high but he is an impact defensive lineman and he would take up blockers for that outstanding linebacking core to really shine.

Joe Haden is possibly one of the five more talented players in the draft but he could drop a little based on early team needs. A great player and if he dropped to let us say 13th, that would be a flat out steal because he is by far the best corner in this class.

Steelers might be a lock to get Maurkice Pouncey, he would be a great addition to their organization and I cannot see how they could not take him.

Rolando McClain is going to be a flat up steal as well, another player who is a top talent by far, but might drop because he is a inside linebacker and because of team needs. Look for the Giants to possibly make a run at him, they would be smart too because Pierce is not getting any younger. There is not way they should not pick him up.

Bengals have a real good chance of getting Mardy Gilyard at receiver and most likely will do that.

Patriots have a real good chance as well of getting Sergio Kindle as a rush outside linebacker. That position has been extremely weak for them for the past few years. They could also possibly get Pierre Paul if he drops or take a shot at Daryl Washington.

Brandon Spikes not drafted in the 1st round, that could happen possibly. Especially with the dumb things he did on the field this season. This is more proof that a player who has a breakout junior year and plays outstanding, leave school early or your draft stock with drop. Just ask the inside linebackers from Ohio State and USC in last years draft how coming back as a senior helped them.

Snead or Pike could be picked up in the second round by St. Louis because I doubt they take a quarterback #1 overall. And getting those two guys in the 2nd would be a great value.

Dwyer to San Diego? I think it would be a great fit because clearly LT is past his prime and they need a power back to go with Sproles.

Colt McCoy is easily going to drop into the 3rd round possibly. And Tim Tebow, really big risk taking him and he could drop into the 3rd as well, I would not be surprised.

Arrelious Benn, despite having a really poor season, he could very well be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Any other observations out there?

Babylon
02-03-2010, 01:11 PM
Have not done any mock draft stuff till know, a few things stood out for me.

Suh, McCoy and Price should all be gone within the first 10 selections.

Seahawks have a big selection that could change the draft a lot based on what they do.

Do they take a quarterback like Clausen or Bradford?
Do they take a defensive tackle like Price?
Do they take a corner like Haden?
Do they take a safety like Mays?

They can go a lot of ways but I would say best bet is a player like Price. Some might consider it high but he is an impact defensive lineman and he would take up blockers for that outstanding linebacking core to really shine.

Joe Haden is possibly one of the five more talented players in the draft but he could drop a little based on early team needs. A great player and if he dropped to let us say 13th, that would be a flat out steal because he is by far the best corner in this class.

Steelers might be a lock to get Maurkice Pouncey, he would be a great addition to their organization and I cannot see how they could not take him.

Rolando McClain is going to be a flat up steal as well, another player who is a top talent by far, but might drop because he is a inside linebacker and because of team needs. Look for the Giants to possibly make a run at him, they would be smart too because Pierce is not getting any younger. There is not way they should not pick him up.

Bengals have a real good chance of getting Mardy Gilyard at receiver and most likely will do that.

Patriots have a real good chance as well of getting Sergio Kindle as a rush outside linebacker. That position has been extremely weak for them for the past few years. They could also possibly get Pierre Paul if he drops or take a shot at Daryl Washington.

Brandon Spikes not drafted in the 1st round, that could happen possibly. Especially with the dumb things he did on the field this season. This is more proof that a player who has a breakout junior year and plays outstanding, leave school early or your draft stock with drop. Just ask the inside linebackers from Ohio State and USC in last years draft how coming back as a senior helped them.

Snead or Pike could be picked up in the second round by St. Louis because I doubt they take a quarterback #1 overall. And getting those two guys in the 2nd would be a great value.

Dwyer to San Diego? I think it would be a great fit because clearly LT is past his prime and they need a power back to go with Sproles.

Colt McCoy is easily going to drop into the 3rd round possibly. And Tim Tebow, really big risk taking him and he could drop into the 3rd as well, I would not be surprised.

Arrelious Benn, despite having a really poor season, he could very well be a late 1st or early 2nd round pick.

Any other observations out there?

Pete's philosphy at USC seemed to be you have a great front seven and the coverage will take care of itself. Their biggest need is OT, unless they like the depth there enopugh to wait till #14 then i think they have to pull the trigger early. After that all bets are probably off and trading down is probably a given. My top 3 needs would be OT/S/RB, i'd be happy if it happened that those picks turned out to be Davis/Okung or Bulaga followed by Mays and Gerhart.

SenorGato
02-03-2010, 01:18 PM
McClain is an excellent fit for the Giants...they REALLY need a MLB again to glue that front 7 together. They've got the pieces, and McClain will give them a future captain. They could also opt for Spikes, but not in the first round. Spikes is one of those really good LBs who won't go in the first like Ryans, Harris, Dansby, Rey M. last year...

Taylor Mays would work for them too, but McClain is the much better prospect and fits just as well with their needs.

Gilyard to the Bengals is a great pick, and if Damian Williams isn't there then I can see them doing that.

The Pats will have some nice options with their pick, but I'm not sure how into using a first on a DE/OLB BB is. If Brandon Graham is there, he's a Pat. I don't even doubt that here on the 3rd of February.

Been saying Colt McCoy was overrated since last year. He's a souped up Matt Grothe...I mean no offense to either guy since they were what they were...good (McCoy being great) college QBs.

Ozzy
02-03-2010, 01:32 PM
Babylon: Pete's philosphy at USC seemed to be you have a great front seven and the coverage will take care of itself. Their biggest need is OT, unless they like the depth there enopugh to wait till #14 then i think they have to pull the trigger early. After that all bets are probably off and trading down is probably a given. My top 3 needs would be OT/S/RB, i'd be happy if it happened that those picks turned out to be Davis/Okung or Bulaga followed by Mays and Gerhart.That would make sense, Okung obviously then because the option. Clearly with Jones aging it is an issue, but the line overall I think is solid just in terms of players. They have Unger, Spencer, Wrotto, Vallos, Frye, Sims, Willis, Locklear and McIntosh. That seems pretty solid to me, has Spencer not become the player he was supposed to be?

I would say defensive tackle is horrible for them, Cole and MeBane are ok but they could use a star, guess if you say Redding is that star but I am assuming he is injured still maybe? I am not sure. Running back for sure is a need and they could get Spiller late 1st or Dwyer or Best in the 2nd easily.

Ozzy
02-03-2010, 01:37 PM
SenorGato:The Pats will have some nice options with their pick, but I'm not sure how into using a first on a DE/OLB BB is. If Brandon Graham is there, he's a Pat. I don't even doubt that here on the 3rd of February.

Been saying Colt McCoy was overrated since last year. He's a souped up Matt Grothe...I mean no offense to either guy since they were what they were...good (McCoy being great) college QBs.Why would the Pats not go OLB, Crable is clearly a bust since he never can even get on the field, Thomas has not played up to his potential at all. They have two others who are getting very old and guys like Woods just are not good players. I think Tyson Alualu is a lock for the Pats in the 2nd if they are smart, they really need a solid DE, could really notice that since Seymour left.

Brandon Graham, would one take him over Dunlap, Morgan, Pierre Paul? I am not sure I would even though he is so productive, how can one pass on the size of Dunlap or the speed and quickness of Paul.

Will be interesting to see how Graham does because really not sure he could be a 3/4 OLB, not sure he is athletic enough, he should be a down 4/3 DE I feel. People say Woodley, he is just like him, and he is, but interesting to see how fast Graham is. Woodley was more of a speed rusher than Graham, Graham is an all around football player.

gpngc
02-03-2010, 01:46 PM
That would make sense, Okung obviously then because the option. Clearly with Jones aging it is an issue, but the line overall I think is solid just in terms of players. They have Unger, Spencer, Wrotto, Vallos, Frye, Sims, Willis, Locklear and McIntosh. That seems pretty solid to me, has Spencer not become the player he was supposed to be?

I would say defensive tackle is horrible for them, Cole and MeBane are ok but they could use a star, guess if you say Redding is that star but I am assuming he is injured still maybe? I am not sure. Running back for sure is a need and they could get Spiller late 1st or Dwyer or Best in the 2nd easily.

Cole was a decent run-stopper and Mebane is one of the best DTs in the league. I doubt they look at Price at 6 when they could get a potential franchise LT or QB at that slot.

As for the O-Line- most of those players are not good at all. Spencer has never lived up to his first-round billing and Locklear is average at best. Unger, Sims, and Willis have shown some signs, but none of them are above average at all. The Seahawks need a LT and need to hope the young guys step up or they'll be looking for more linemen as well.

Ozzy
02-03-2010, 01:56 PM
As for the O-Line- most of those players are not good at all. Spencer has never lived up to his first-round billing and Locklear is average at best. Unger, Sims, and Willis have shown some signs, but none of them are above average at all. The Seahawks need a LT and need to hope the young guys step up or they'll be looking for more linemen as well.Well that is good to know, I do not see a lot of Seahawk games my way, thanks CBS and Fox. Very good to know, too bad a lot of those guys came out as pretty solid prospects. Then they go Bradford most likely or Okung. Mays will be hard to pass especially if Pete likes him a lot, he clearly knows the kid better than anyone.

zachsaints52
02-03-2010, 02:21 PM
Saints get Weatherspoon. That is all I care about :)

Rosebud
02-03-2010, 02:38 PM
McClain is an excellent fit for the Giants...they REALLY need a MLB again to glue that front 7 together. They've got the pieces, and McClain will give them a future captain. They could also opt for Spikes, but not in the first round. Spikes is one of those really good LBs who won't go in the first like Ryans, Harris, Dansby, Rey M. last year...

Taylor Mays would work for them too, but McClain is the much better prospect and fits just as well with their needs.

Meh, our front 7 was pathetic because our DEs were injured/recovering from injury and our DTs blew absolute donkey balls, Canty missed time, Alford missed the whole season and tuck's shoulder prevented him from logging any meaningful snaps at UT and everyone else was ****. Coming into this season we have Canty, Alford and Bernard under contract, Canty looks like he should be a starter and Alford can be a good rotational UT but we desperately need a second starter and another rotational DT. While we could certainly use an upgrade at MLB as well, the difference between McClain, Spikes or Franklin Weatherspoon and Goff shouldn't impact us as much as the difference between having a good DT rotation and having the **** we have now. So barring any FA additions I think improving our DT situation would help the team more than improving our MLB situation where Goff has shown some nice skills in spurts. With Blackburn here to push Goff I think he'll become a good starter if we can figure out our DT situation, not a probowler but AP was never a probowler for us either, Goff does however have that physicality and intelligence that made AP such a valuable player for a while.

Jakey
02-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I like Pouncey to the Steelers inthe 2nd...not in the first though. Give me Sean Weatherspoon, Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Chad Jones, Brian Bulaga over poucey in th 1st :)

RealityCheck
02-03-2010, 04:10 PM

PIT trades with IND, Colts get Bulaga/Iupati at #18 and Steelers get Pouncey at #31.

Perfect, huh?

Nalej
02-03-2010, 04:23 PM
PIT trades with IND, Colts get Bulaga/Iupati at #18 and Steelers get Pouncey at #31.

Perfect, huh?

It's only perfect bc that means the Saints won the Super Bowl :D

SKim172
02-03-2010, 04:29 PM
I agree that the Pats probably won't go OLB in the 1st - the philosophy there seems to be that they can find players just as good in later rounds. Admittedly, I said the same thing the year they took Jerod Mayo, but I'm staking my claim on that outside backer is a different beast.

If they see talent they want in the 2nd, however, I could see them snatching it up.

RealityCheck
02-03-2010, 04:37 PM
It's only perfect bc that means the Saints won the Super Bowl :D
Dude, that's obvious. :D

Nalej
02-03-2010, 04:56 PM
I agree that the Pats probably won't go OLB in the 1st - the philosophy there seems to be that they can find players just as good in later rounds.

Obviously that philosophy is fcked since our pass rush minus Banta Cain is ZERO!
Do u know how bad u have to be for your best OLB named Banta Cain!?!

RealityCheck
02-03-2010, 05:02 PM
Obviously that philosophy is fcked since our pass rush minus Banta Cain is ZERO!
Do u know how bad u have to be for your best OLB named Banta Cain!?!
Yeah, but... Offense is the best defense. Wait, defense is the best offense as well.

02-03-2010, 05:05 PM
Saints get Weatherspoon. That is all I care about :)

He'll be long gone by then. Sorry, buddy.

RealityCheck
02-03-2010, 05:09 PM
W-Spoon will not get past PHi at #25. Could you imagine their OLB tandem? Spoon Squared!

Hines
02-04-2010, 06:08 PM

Perfect, huh?

I wouldn't mind that. Steelers could squeeze in a 2011 first rounder or a second rounder from them.

yourfavestoner
02-04-2010, 06:29 PM

Perfect, huh?

Polian never, ever, ever, ever trades up. The Tony Ugoh selection was the exception and after that experiment blew up, I doubt he does it anytime soon.

zachsaints52
02-04-2010, 09:17 PM
W-Spoon will not get past PHi at #25. Could you imagine their OLB tandem? Spoon Squared!

No I will not imagine it!!! LALALALALAL

superman8456
02-04-2010, 09:21 PM

I honestly believe the Eagles will trade out of the 1st. I'm thinking the Rams might make a move on the Eagles pick if Sam Bradford is still available. I also believe that if Taylor Mays is still available, we might trade with the Vikings.

Bottom line is, Eagles should be moving around quite a bit come draft day.

zachsaints52
02-04-2010, 09:23 PM
I honestly believe the Eagles will trade out of the 1st. I'm thinking the Rams might make a move on the Eagles pick if Sam Bradford is still available. I also believe that if Taylor Mays is still available, we might trade with the Vikings.

I concur whole heartedly. Trade!

prock
02-04-2010, 09:51 PM

**** taylor mays, trade with the vikes if bradford is still available!

eagles6606
02-04-2010, 10:09 PM

I disagree with the Eagles trading out of the first. They have some big needs on defense (FS, DE, and OLB) and if they want to make a run next year they will need to fill them. I could very easily see the Eagles trading up for a Taylor Mays, Earl Thomas, Carlos Dunlap, or Sean Weatherspoon. I believe the Eagles will be agressive in the first round and target either a safety, defensive end, or linebacker.

Hines
02-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't be surprised to see Spoon gone at 18.

Unbiased
02-04-2010, 11:34 PM
Don't be surprised to see Spoon gone at 18.

Yeah, I think I heard Jbond say the STeelers are interested in Spoon. That would be a great replacement for Farrior. He's the type of player every team needs.